PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma-Texas 1971 on the youtubes

King Crimson
4/6/2008, 07:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPL1KsFmepk&NR=1

KantoSooner
4/6/2008, 08:29 PM
Anyone else impressed with the run blocking?

sooneron
4/6/2008, 09:16 PM
KC is old school...

fPL1KsFmepk&NR=1

YWIA! :D

King Crimson
4/6/2008, 09:31 PM
gotta love the tunes.

Jacie
4/8/2008, 07:45 PM
I kinda wish someone would do one of these w/o the music track. Instead, do a voiceover, complete with crowd noise in the background, describing each play as if you were hearing it over the radio. Please hold the Bob Barry jokes.

That game was special to me. It was only the second time for me to attend a Sooner game and only one that incredible year. Started to school at OU the next year and got to see all the home games and quite a few of the saxet games after that.

stoopified
4/11/2008, 12:27 PM
Rockin' good times.

oupride
4/11/2008, 12:39 PM
That game was special to me as well. It was only the second time I ever saw OU on television. What made it special was we kicked the defending national champion's butt! Long live the King!!!

soonerspudman
4/11/2008, 12:59 PM
Anyone else impressed with the run blocking?

For anyone under 40, this was before you were allowed to hold on every play, no open hands even allowed. This was blocking in its purest form...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/13/2008, 12:48 AM
This is tied with the OU-domer game of 1956 as my favorite game of all time. Tx was the defending co-NC, and was supposed to put it on us. This was the first time we had beaten the whorns in way too long, and although our defense wasn't all that great in '71, we had the most prolific offense I can remember, at least until '03 and '04, (except for the bowl games those years, of course) What did Greg Pruitt average-nearly 10 yds per carry, I think.

soonerspudman
4/14/2008, 06:21 PM
This is tied with the OU-domer game of 1956 as my favorite game of all time. Tx was the defending co-NC, and was supposed to put it on us. This was the first time we had beaten the whorns in way too long, and although our defense wasn't all that great in '71, we had the most prolific offense I can remember, at least until '03 and '04, (except for the bowl games those years, of course) What did Greg Pruitt average-nearly 10 yds per carry, I think.

Don't know about Pruitt, but the 1971 teams holds the NCAA record, averaging a mind-boggling 472 yards rushing per game. Second place is Georgia Southern with 419 rushing per game in 1999. That easily makes this the greatest college rushing team of all time. For those that were around back then it was magic, like a track meet on every snap.

letsroll
4/14/2008, 11:06 PM
great start to a five year win streak in the RRS. as a soph in '71, went to the campus ticket window when texas tickets went on sale, and asked for 3. the lady handed me back 3 on the 50, 5 rows up. stood and screamed the entire game, (couldn't see over the players heads), as they were usually standing on the benches screaming too! also looking at my stubbs from the 1973 RRS, my favorite game of all time. best $8.00 i ever spent to see a longhorn butt kicking.

4/14/2008, 11:34 PM
great start to a five year win streak in the RRS. as a soph in '71, went to the campus ticket window when texas tickets went on sale, and asked for 3. the lady handed me back 3 on the 50, 5 rows up. stood and screamed the entire game, (couldn't see over the players heads), as they were usually standing on the benches screaming too! also looking at my stubbs from the 1973 RRS, my favorite game of all time. best $8.00 i ever spent to see a longhorn butt kicking.Yeah, baby. Darrell Royal came unglued sometime during that period, and really got all over Switzer. Royal retired in what, '77, after beating the Sooners and Barry for the first time, I believe.

Seamus
4/15/2008, 04:52 AM
actually after the 1976 season. akers' first year was 77.

KantoSooner
4/15/2008, 07:12 AM
For anyone under 40, this was before you were allowed to hold on every play, no open hands even allowed. This was blocking in its purest form...

And these guys did it, in my opinion, better than any team before or since.

4/15/2008, 10:43 AM
actually after the 1976 season. akers' first year was 77.OK, that's even a better happenstance. I guess Royal never did beat Switzer.

BoulderSooner79
4/15/2008, 02:00 PM
Don't know about Pruitt, but the 1971 teams holds the NCAA record, averaging a mind-boggling 472 yards rushing per game. Second place is Georgia Southern with 419 rushing per game in 1999. That easily makes this the greatest college rushing team of all time. For those that were around back then it was magic, like a track meet on every snap.

It was a (near) perfect storm for OU that year. Other Big8 teams had not adjusted to the 'bone as yet and OU just happened to have the right talent mix to run it better than anyone else even though the players were not recruited for that purpose. It changed the running game from 3 yards and a cloud of dust to the track meet you describe. Mildren was born to be an option QB and Pruitt was a top flight back as he later proved with many NFL pro-bowls. Nebraska was quite a bit deeper than OU that year and we almost beat them anyway. The only thing missing was the stout defense which came the next year.

4/15/2008, 04:15 PM
Nebraska was quite a bit deeper than OU that year and we almost beat them anyway. The only thing missing was the stout defense which came the next year. Reasonably fair officiating in that nebbish game would have resulted in an OU win, and NC #4.

soonerspudman
4/15/2008, 07:33 PM
Reasonably fair officiating in that nebbish game would have resulted in an OU win, and NC #4.

This was easily the greatest team to never win a national championship. The 1971 Neberski game still stands as the game of (that) century...

4/15/2008, 07:43 PM
This was easily the greatest team to never win a national championship. The 1971 Neberski game still stands as the game of (that) century...It's the greatest game because of the hoopla, and exciting play, but we got royally screwed by the officials...in Norman!(no, I'll never get over the shafting we took, there)