PDA

View Full Version : Question for Ike

Ash
4/5/2008, 08:37 PM
And any other physicist or astrophysicist types on the board.

Wifey asked the question about the new Tiger Woods commercial, whether the golf ball would have enough mass (or the pertinent variable: density, specific gravity, etc.) to stay set on the tee on the moon.

Thoughts?

:pop:

Frozen Sooner
4/5/2008, 08:51 PM
Yes. It would.

1. Mass is a constant (until you get to relativistic speeds.) Mass is the relationship between acceleration and force. It is not altered by the acceleration acting upon it (again, until you get to relativistic speeds.)

2. There wouldn't be any atmospheric effects on the ball as it was on the tee. Why would it move from where he put it? The ball has mass, and thus has inertia. It would require a force acting on it to move. The only force acting on it would be acting in the direction of something blocking its path-gravity attempting to pull it through the tee.

Frozen Sooner
4/5/2008, 08:53 PM
In other words:

Minus gravity or some other force acting on the ball, it'd just sit wherever Tiger put it.

We can assume that the only force acting on it (minus Tiger's footsteps) would be the gravitational pull of the Moon, which would tend to hold the ball on the tee.

StoopTroup
4/5/2008, 09:19 PM
BTW...Tigers can't breathe on the moon.

Viking Kitten
4/5/2008, 09:25 PM
I once came in third place in a science fair, so I think I'm qualified to explain that it takes gravity to hold all that green cheese in place.

Viking Kitten
4/5/2008, 09:28 PM
I come in third place a lot, BTW. ******** Internet Mahjong Mother ***** piece of ****. ****.

GottaHavePride
4/5/2008, 09:33 PM
Pffff. Green cheese is anti-matter. That's why it explodes in your refrigerator.

Viking Kitten
4/5/2008, 09:39 PM
Can it, Mensa Boy!

reevie
4/5/2008, 09:55 PM
Pffff. Green cheese is anti-matter. That's why it explodes in your refrigerator.

Does the Anti-Monitor eat green cheese?

Frozen Sooner
4/5/2008, 10:09 PM
I come in third place a lot, BTW. ******** Internet Mahjong Mother ***** piece of ****. ****.

Wow. Czar gets TWO cookies to every ONE of yours?

Go Czar Go!

Frozen Sooner
4/5/2008, 10:10 PM
Does the Anti-Monitor eat green cheese?

Only if Superboy prime-punches him. That'll make it all fit into continuity.

Jerk
4/5/2008, 10:29 PM
Can it, Mensa Boy!

There is a car in my neighborhood with an OK tag that says "MENSA.'

It's a Ford Probe. :D

Ash
4/5/2008, 10:40 PM
thanks for all the insightful posts......................drrrr :D

Flagstaffsooner
4/6/2008, 04:31 AM
I want to talk about creating an atmosphere on the Moon.
If you sent all the Drunkytown posters there....would that create a methane atmosphere? And I dont want to hear any of this crap that the Moon does not have enough gravity to hold an atmosphere.

yermom
4/6/2008, 11:02 AM
i know it's been jacked already, but...

the Moon has gravity, it's just like 1/6th what we have on Earth. i'm sure part of the reason the used the Moon is Alan Shepard's golf hijinks there in '71

85Sooner
4/6/2008, 12:24 PM
i know it's been jacked already, but...

the Moon has gravity, it's just like 1/6th what we have on Earth. i'm sure part of the reason the used the Moon is Alan Shepard's golf hijinks there in '71

YOu know that was really a movie set in Arizona right?:)