PDA

View Full Version : The Pontiac G8 GT ad is really sweet...

crawfish
4/5/2008, 06:20 PM
I love the Spy Hunter meme.

QO6ER2K65sE

Sooner_Bob
4/5/2008, 06:22 PM
Yep . . .

StoopTroup
4/5/2008, 06:36 PM
I can't figure out the controls.

Do you use the mouse or the arrow buttons?

yermom
4/5/2008, 07:25 PM
i like the other one where it's on the track

it looks a bit too much like a BMW though

Cam
4/5/2008, 08:38 PM
If I was in the market for a car, I'd definitely take a look at one of these.

StoopTroup
4/5/2008, 09:45 PM
Does it get 80 MPG?

crawfish
4/6/2008, 09:01 AM
Actually, I'd like one of those other spy cars...

sooneron
4/6/2008, 09:31 AM
i like the other one where it's on the track

it looks a bit too much like a BMW though

When I first read that, I was like wtf? I saw the thing firsthand at the big car show last week where we were shooting....

But it sorta does look like a bmer...

From a framegrab of my super sweet footage-

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/9104/g8gtnm8.jpg

36k for a pontiac is pretty steep, tho. They can always rely upon Doc to buy one! :D

royalfan5
4/6/2008, 09:36 AM
In theory, Pontiac is supposed to be GM's alternative to BMW. The advertising clearly positions this car as such. I am considering it as an option when I trade at the end of the year. The odd thing is that GM will likely lose money on every one sold because of the surging Australian dollar.

yermom
4/6/2008, 10:49 AM
makes sense that they'd make it there... they'd love that car in Oz

where did 36k come from? edmunds lists it at under 30k, wasn't that one of the advertising points?

royalfan5
4/6/2008, 10:56 AM

where did 36k come from? edmunds lists it at under 30k, wasn't that one of the advertising points?

A G8 is a slightly reskinned Holden, just like the last GTO was. The Aussies already have it, and we are just getting it. Ford and GM often leave their better cars overseas for some reason.

yermom
4/6/2008, 11:08 AM
i don't think Ford wants to **** with the Mustang, that's the only reason i can think of not to have the Focus RS over here

the Falcon might not sell that well with gas prices, but i guess if the G8 does okay... i miss the big V8 RWD cars. the Impala makes me sad

royalfan5
4/6/2008, 11:12 AM
i don't think Ford wants to **** with the Mustang, that's the only reason i can think of not to have the Focus RS over here

the Falcon might not sell that well with gas prices, but i guess if the G8 does okay... i miss the big V8 RWD cars. the Impala makes me sad

The Mondeo would make a great Mercury too. Hell if you want a big RWD car, Ford still cranks out the Panthers for the time being. Plus, every one would think you are a cop or an old dude. Plus they are borderline indestructible.

yermom
4/6/2008, 11:21 AM
i never knew about the "Panther" platform... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Panther_platform

obviously i knew about the Crown Vic, etc.. though. i wonder how that will go if they roll both of their big RWD lines together

sooneron
4/6/2008, 03:24 PM

That's the super duper GT model. It does 0-60 in sub 5 seconds.

Where is this "theory" about the Pontiac being on the same line as BMW. The rep we spoke to said that Pontiac is going back to muscle car roots. Hardly the BMW set. Of course this theory reminds me of what Bad Santa said. "YOu can wish in a one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up first".

swardboy
4/6/2008, 03:31 PM
I was on the Pontiac web site last night checking it out....HEADS UP DISPLAY!!! Rear wheel drive...I think it is a play for the Mustang market. 5.3 liter engine if I remember right.

royalfan5
4/6/2008, 03:33 PM

Where is this "theory" about the Pontiac being on the same line as BMW. The rep we spoke to said that Pontiac is going back to muscle car roots. Hardly the BMW set. Of course this theory reminds me of what Bad Santa said. "YOu can wish in a one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up first".

The Pontiac as poor man's BMW thinking dates back to the Mid-80's and the GM A body cars. Before that they tried with CavCaddy X-Body fiasco known as the Cimarron. Pontiac was until very recently the "performance" marque for GM. Ergo, GM has long held delusions of Pontiac being the BMW killer, and that is why you are seeing G8 advertising calling out the BMW 5 series.

As an illustration: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008-pontiac-g8-gt-review/

yermom
4/6/2008, 03:55 PM

like more super duper than the GT or the GT model is super duper?

sub 5 seconds, hehe. actually, i guess that is pretty fast for a large car

sooneron
4/6/2008, 05:30 PM
like more super duper than the GT or the GT model is super duper?

sub 5 seconds, hehe. actually, i guess that is pretty fast for a large car

They call it the super performance GT G8. 400 hp and 400lb/ft torque. They just unveiled it at the NY Intl Auto show.

yermom
4/6/2008, 08:32 PM
ahh, ok

BudSooner
4/7/2008, 12:19 PM
http://www.pontiac.com/newcars/

HellCamino, heh!

Another Aussie car coming to the US, there is a contest for the naming of it.

OUDoc
4/7/2008, 12:34 PM
36k for a pontiac is pretty steep, tho. They can always rely upon Doc to buy one! :D

I'd buy it in a minute. (I actually had a dream Saturday night that I got to drive my GTO again. :( ) But I've got my car for a while, and as much as I loved the V-8, it doesn't make much sense these days.

FWIW, that GTO was the best car I've ever owned. (Though I don't suspect anyone will believe me.)