PDA

View Full Version : No Country for Old Men: Revisited

4/5/2008, 08:25 AM
If you haven't seen it, at the very least, RENT it.

Easily the best Coen Brothers film, IMO. If you have extra cash and have enjoyed previous Coen films, just buy it.

I know there was long ago a thread on this, but seriously, this is worth watching. It's a western, a comedy, an action film (minimally) and a horror film all wrapped up in a neat little flick.

The only Coen Bros. film that compares (IMO) is The Man Who Wasn't There.

Totally different genres, but equally as strong.

yermom
4/5/2008, 08:28 AM
Lebowski is still my favorite

OU-HSV
4/5/2008, 08:49 AM
I really want to see this. My wife went to blockbuster the last 2 weekends and rented movies. She failed to come home with that movie both times. Instead we watched:
"I am Legend" (was over hyped IMO)
"3:10 To Yuma" (great movie)
"The Mist" (I thought this one was extremely lame).
So I'm looking forward to our next trip to Blockbuster. Next time I'm picking the movies and "No Country for Old Men" is one of them I'm certainly getting.

4/5/2008, 09:09 AM
The Yuma flick is good.

Haven't seen the others, but then, I'm not a movie buff.

That said, you won't go wrong with No Country. I suggest you watch it once, wait a while, and watch it again.

Oh, and Yermom, I agree... Lebowski is classic! They are totally different genres, though. Again, I totally recommend "The Man Who Wasn't There" as a total aside to their previous endevours.

fadada1
4/5/2008, 10:41 AM
If you haven't seen it, at the very least, RENT it.

if i rent it, should i watch it? or just rent it?

;)

just kiddin'. thouroughly enjoyed it. and i'm not a tommy lee jones fan.

Mjcpr
4/5/2008, 10:46 AM
I agree....you should watch it.

Also, you still GO to Blockbuster to rent movies?

StoopTroup
4/5/2008, 11:03 AM
I rented it a few weeks ago.

What happens to Woody Harrelson's Character is worth the price of the movie IMO.

soonerbrat
4/5/2008, 11:14 AM
I guess I'll rent it or something. I slept through it the first time (at the theater)

Rogue
4/5/2008, 06:12 PM
I watched it for the first time last night...very well done. Sorta Tarantino-esque/ish. Yup, I said it. I disagree with the haters but can see how some just wouldn't dig it.

ric311
4/5/2008, 06:59 PM
I loved this movie right up to the last 15 minutes or so. Too many questions for my liking. I don't watch a movie to have to guess how it ends. I want to know. I also found it a little difficult to accept certain things.

spoiler alert

Like how does the cowboy make it through the entire movie, escaping the most ruthless killer the world has ever seen, only to be gunned down at a motel by a bunch of mexicans? We're led to believe that this guy is smart through the first 4/5 of the movie, then he has a collossal brain fart at the end? That just doesn't add up to me. Also -who gets the money? I guess we're just supposed to assume the bad guy got it, but we never actually see him with the satchel. Soooooooo, what? I was very disappointed with the ending to the movie. VERY disappointed.

yermom
4/5/2008, 07:08 PM
the moral of the story is never trust your yainch MIL with your life

shaun4411
4/5/2008, 11:47 PM
ill buy the movie if i can get it on blu ray.

id like to see the cohen bros get together with tarantino and make a good flick. thatd be cool.

colleyvillesooner
4/5/2008, 11:57 PM
the moral of the story is never trust your yainch MIL with your life

Yep. :D

Chuck Bao
4/6/2008, 12:33 AM
It's out on DVD? It hasn't made it to any video stores here yet. Thanks for recommending it.

KC//CRIMSON
4/6/2008, 01:03 AM
the moral of the story is

Read the book first so you can't say you didn't like the ending.

OU-HSV
4/6/2008, 01:07 AM
I agree....you should watch it.

Also, you still GO to Blockbuster to rent movies?

No...you missed the part where I said my wife rented them the last 2 weeks :D

Oh, but yes that's where I rent them too. I haven't gone "new school" and rented from Netflix yet.

Mjcpr
4/6/2008, 01:32 AM
Blockbuster does it too. :)

If you're a movie watching fam, try it out.

OU-HSV
4/6/2008, 07:26 AM
Blockbuster does it too. :)

If you're a movie watching fam, try it out.

Yeah I've thought about joining the Block Buster version of Netflix. Looked like a good deal for people that rent a lot. I may do that soon.

sooneron
4/6/2008, 09:34 AM
Tarantino? Please, some thoughts are better left inside the head.

OU4LIFE
4/7/2008, 07:24 AM
"You don't have to do this"

"that's what everyone says"

4/7/2008, 08:38 AM
"You're a bit deaf aren't you?"

What a great flick.

stoopified
4/7/2008, 10:12 AM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzz

OU-HSV
4/17/2008, 11:39 PM
Watched it and sorry, I wasn't super impressed with it. Maybe I bought into the hype too much. I mean it wasn't awful...I just didn't think it was as good as what it sounded like it would be.

GottaHavePride
4/17/2008, 11:44 PM
I loved this movie right up to the last 15 minutes or so. Too many questions for my liking. I don't watch a movie to have to guess how it ends. I want to know.

You don't have to guess how it ends. When the screen goes dark it's over. That's how it ends. You mean you want to know what happens AFTER. ;)

OU-HSV
4/17/2008, 11:45 PM
You don't have to guess how it ends. When the screen goes dark it's over. That's how it ends. You mean you want to know what happens AFTER. ;)

Yeah...odd ending for sure.

dolemitesooner
4/18/2008, 09:17 AM
I guess I'll rent it or something. I slept through it the first time (at the theater)
See yermom. Its not just me.

Are you my mother?:O

picasso
4/18/2008, 01:37 PM
some people need stuff exploding, bad acting and boobs to enjoy a flick.

belch.

oh and the same old boring storyline.

fart.

OU4LIFE
4/18/2008, 01:55 PM
someone say boobs?

yermom
4/18/2008, 02:08 PM
some people need stuff exploding, bad acting and boobs to enjoy a flick.

belch.

oh and the same old boring storyline.

fart.

it helps :D

well, that's certainly what really gets butts in the seats.

me? i like dick and fart jokes.

picasso
4/18/2008, 02:10 PM
me too! and I live 'em!

the thing about this movie is it is different. I get tired of predictable boring assed movies.

aww shoot, it Tommy Lee had only tracked that pumkin pie haircutted freak down and kilt him!

yermom
4/18/2008, 02:15 PM
i'm just messing around. i liked this flick. i need to see it again. i'm a sucker for good dialog.

it's hard to vouch for this movie now after the Oscars, it doesn't really mean anything for someone to say they liked it anymore.

but if you aren't a movie person, you very possibly wouldn't like it.

4/18/2008, 02:15 PM
i like dick and fart jokes.

It's bound to happen, yermom. I just wanted to be first to point out the glaring error in your post.

4/18/2008, 02:19 PM
i'm just messing around. i liked this flick. i need to see it again. i'm a sucker for good dialog.

it's hard to vouch for this movie now after the Oscars, it doesn't really mean anything for someone to say they liked it anymore.

but if you aren't a movie person, you very possibly wouldn't like it.

You know, that might be the most shocking thing about this flick. How long has it been since a "Titanic" or other such crap didn't win it all?

This viewed like a low-budget independent, if not for a couple of big names.

I didn't see it until it came out on DVD. I hope the Coen's run with it and don't create something like "No Country For Middle-Aged Men." ;)

silverwheels
4/18/2008, 02:25 PM
me? i like dick

*snicker*

12 said it was going to happen. :D

yermom
4/18/2008, 02:27 PM
they have been making quality for a long time now. i still need to catch up on some of their other stuff, like Miller's Crossing

i liked O Brother, Fargo and Raising Arizona, and i can't really say enough about Lebowski

shaun4411
4/18/2008, 02:28 PM
i want it on bluray

4/18/2008, 02:33 PM
Yermom, Millers Crossing is just about the most tedious film I've watched. I don't want to guide you away from it because I realize not every Coen film is for every viewer.

I found it distracting due to many acting elements, but still... might as well give it a shot. I'm sure it is someone's "best movie ever."

soonerbrat
4/18/2008, 02:45 PM
it's good if you need a nap.

picasso
4/18/2008, 02:46 PM
it's good if you need a nap.

it ain't no fried green tomatoes!

Frozen Sooner
4/18/2008, 02:51 PM
You know, that might be the most shocking thing about this flick. How long has it been since a "Titanic" or other such crap didn't win it all?

This viewed like a low-budget independent, if not for a couple of big names.

I didn't see it until it came out on DVD. I hope the Coen's run with it and don't create something like "No Country For Middle-Aged Men." ;)

I can't remember the name of their current project, but their next project is a screen adaptation of The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon, which is a phenominal read.

picasso
4/18/2008, 02:53 PM
I can't remember the name of their current project, but their next project is a screen adaptation of The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon, which is a phenominal read.

my cousin Sal was forced outta that union.

4/18/2008, 04:59 PM
Just the word "Yiddish" has me wanting to say "לשון ־ אַשכּנז"

Call me crazy.

KC//CRIMSON
4/18/2008, 07:58 PM
they have been making quality for a long time now. i still need to catch up on some of their other stuff, like Miller's Crossing

i liked O Brother, Fargo and Raising Arizona, and i can't really say enough about Lebowski

Can't go wrong with:

Barton Fink
The Man Who Wasn't There
Blood Simple
Millers Crossing

bluedogok
4/18/2008, 09:21 PM
ill buy the movie if i can get it on blu ray.

i want it on bluray
I bought it the week it came out and it wouldn't play, got a read error. I pulled it out and it looked like a chemical had melted the layer under the clearcoat so I took it back and exchanged it.

I recognized some of the areas where they filmed it out in West Texas.