PDA

View Full Version : Rude emails from clients - how do you respond?

Chuck Bao
4/5/2008, 12:15 AM
Do any of you get rude emails from clients – something like “you suck”?

How do you deal with it?

I get these emails from one particular client all of the time. He goes on and on about how smart he is and how poor of a job we do in recommending stocks. He signs his emails, as STOCK GURU. Heh!!!!!!!!

I have warned him repeatedly not to be rude and that we will consider his stock suggestions. He apparently can’t help himself and seems to get really agitated when his emails are ignored, which they should be.

Why would a middle-aged, successful businessman send emails using such abbreviated message board language?

I want to ask him a couple of questions: if we suck so bad, why does he bother to keep sending us emails? And, is it really that difficult to figure out why his emails are sometimes ignored?

This is our latest exchange.

Email from STOCK GURU to analyst:

HELLO
ITS BEEN LONG TIME SINCE WE HAVE BEEN IN TOUCH SHUD AGREE W/U ON LONGTERM OUTLOOK OF THE CO., BUT COMING QTR/1 WHAT R YR EXPECTATIONS AS YOU HAVE BEEEN ADVOCATING THE STOX TIME N AGAIN
HOPEFULLY U WILL HV TIME TO REPLY BECAUSE PERSONALLY MY OPINION IS THIS TIME WAIT N SEE AS I HAVE BEEN PLAYING STOX MUCH BEFORE U ALL WROTE THATS AROUND TWO YEARS AGO LETS C/YR OPINION ON MY PERSPECTIVE THAT QTR/1 DOES NOT LOOK BRIGHT FM THE WAYS ITS BEEN TRADING
PLS ADV
RGDS
STOCK GURU

------------------------------------------

Email response from analyst to STOCK GURU (I hope it was a tongue in cheek response):

Oh yeah

how r u doing. We will revisit its earning prospects soon.

------------------------------------------------------

Email from STOCK GURU to analyst cc’ed to me:

DEAR ALL
TKS YR QUICK RESPONSE
BUT U PUT AN ARTICLE TODAY N PLUS MONTHS AGO BUT U R NOT AWARE OF QTR/1 THATS JUST THEN GUESSING…
HONESTLY AM VERY UNHAPPY WITH YR ANLYST WORK ON RESEARCH IS QUESTIONABLE..IS POOR THOUGH THE CO., IT SELF HAS HIGH TRADING VOL
STILL HOPE TO RCV YR ANWER ..MEANWHILE AM ALSO IN TOUCH WITH OTHER ANLYTS
RGDS
STOCK GURU

-------------------------------------------------------

Email from me to STOCK GURU cc’ed to analyst and management:

Dear Mr. Stock Guru,

I stand behind our analysts because, contrary to what you might think, they have a very good track record in calling stocks.

No, we don't catch everything in the market or get all of our calls right. Nobody does.

We always try to provide the best quality service to all of our clients. But let me be clear : our analysts will never be badgered into changing their recommendations.

I must ask you again to please keep your emails to the analysts civil and polite. If you continue to insult the analysts, we will start ignoring your emails.

We have tried to be courteous to you by quickly responding to your emails and offering to look into your suggestions. That is the best that we can promise.

At the end of the day, it's the analysts’ call. We can agree to disagree and let time tell who was correct.

Best regards,

-----------------------------------------------------

Email from STOCK GURU to me cc’ed to analyst and management:

HELLO
APPREC YR REPLY
ITS ENTIRELY TO YR ANALYST I NEVER INSIST ON MY REPLIES ITS ENTIRELY DISCRETIONARY
BUT PAST RECORD SHOWS ...THEY SELDOM REPLIED...INFACT THIS IS THE FIRST SAW
FM ANALYST..UNTIL I GOT FED UP
THERE R PLENTY OF GOOD RESERACH AVLB...WE DO NOT GUIDE OURSELVES TO
ONLY YR ANLYST OR BIG PLAYERS INDICATIONS
PLS BE GUIDED ACOORDINGLY
HAVE A NICE EWEEKEND
RGDS
STOCK GURU

---------------------------------------------------------

Another email from STOCK GURU to me cc’ed to analyst and management:

HELL DEAR ALL
PLS READ MY MSG CORRECTLY
AT NO TIME I HAVE ASKED YR ANALYST TO CHANGE RECOMMENDATION
BUT AS A CLIENT ITS OUR RIGHT TO QUESTION WHEN WE
FEEL MORE DATA SHUD BE LOOKED AT ..PLS GET THE ANGLE CORRECTLY
RGDS
STOCK GURU

Soonerus
4/5/2008, 12:22 AM
Never had anything close to that except for some of the crude post responses received on SF...

NYC Poke
4/5/2008, 12:25 AM
If I were a psychiatrist, I would recommend that you client take a comfortable pillow.

I am a lawyer, and I remember several of my law professors giving the advice, "Your client can be your worst enemy." I have found that to be true.

Be careful of anyone who types in ALL CAPS. There's some money that's just not worth havin'.

Widescreen
4/5/2008, 01:18 AM
I totally know what you mean.

Just to be clear. After a year of mostly positive experience, in which I had decided to become an Elite Sponsor, I started the Hollis Board, I had a 46,000 spek rating based on real spek not betting over two season and 1500 posts, in the last four weeks I can see this board is a place I don't want to be or patronize. There are two other boards which I believe have at least equivalent football knowledge without the abusive environment. I am taking my business elsewhere.

John Helander
President & CEO
GrayBox Services Ltd. &
eState Auction House Ltd.

olevetonahill
4/5/2008, 01:27 AM
Never had anything close to that except for some of the crude post responses received on SF...

yIU SUCK wHAT ?

Tole Ya I Drunk !

Frozen Sooner
4/5/2008, 01:51 AM
Fire the client unless they have MAJOR cash under management.

Here's a letter you can use:

Dear Sir,

It is the feeling of our firm that we can no longer enjoy a productive business relationship. The very nature of our business is trust-the trust that you put in our analysis. It has become quite evident that you no longer trust us, being that you have, on several occasions, second-guessed us and intimated that we are not doing our due diligence with regards to recommendations.

Frankly, sir, if we are unable to trade in trust, then there is no reason for you to continue to do business with us. We feel that your needs will be more adequately met by another firm.

Find enclosed a letter directing us to either liquidate all of your holdings under management or to transfer services to another firm. Please return this letter with your instructions no later than 30 days from receipt. If we do not receive your response within 30 days, we will mail you certified funds matching the value of your portfolio under management at market price.

You see, we believe in our recommendations, even if you don't, and we are happy to buy them from you at current market price.

Regards,

Chuck.

Chuck Bao
4/5/2008, 02:06 AM
That's great, Mike. Can I use it?

Heh! He typically complains more about the fact that we ignore him than our recommendations. And, again he signs all of his correspondence as STOCK GURU and I guess we should be awed by that.

And, I don't even know if he's our client.

Frozen Sooner
4/5/2008, 02:56 AM
Heh. Feel free. Though if you have no way of knowing if he's really a client (or how big-not knowing your average portfolio under management, I wouldn't recommend firing someone who's in your top 20%...) I'd be careful about firing him.

It'd suck if you shot off that letter then had to come up with several million to buy out his position.

I'd shoot him an e-mail stating that you have a company policy of not responding to anonymous e-mails and that to continue dialogue he will need to positively identify himself.

Then fire him.

Turd_Ferguson
4/5/2008, 03:11 AM
Personally, I like this one the best.

Dear Sir,
**** off, dip ****!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/5/2008, 10:07 AM
He sounds angry. I'd ask him to REMOVE THE ****ING CAPS LOCK KEY!

Cam
4/5/2008, 10:38 AM
Offer the dude a job. If he's as good as he thinks he is, maybe he'll make you some money. If he's not, fire his *** as soon as his first 90 days is up.

Or, use Mike's response. Better clients than that aren't that hard to find.

StoopTroup
4/5/2008, 11:14 AM
Offer the dude a job. If he's as good as he thinks he is, maybe he'll make you some money. If he's not, fire his *** as soon as his first 90 days is up.

Or, use Mike's response. Better clients than that aren't that hard to find.

That is a great idea.

Send the dude an application.

soonerbrat
4/5/2008, 11:17 AM
tell him to use etrade.

StoopTroup
4/5/2008, 11:58 AM
Or you could be like the Stock Nazi once you know he's not a player and tell him he's banned...come back one year!

CtheB
4/5/2008, 03:17 PM
Not all business is good business.

A simple "If we are not providing the level and quality of service you expect from your financial service firm, then it is fair to remind you there are many other alternatives you can choose."

If he leaves, you gave him an out, and let him know his involvement with your firm is voluntary on your part.
If he stays, then he has effectively told himself to "shut his pie hole".

SleestakSooner
4/5/2008, 04:17 PM
I would tell him if he wishes to be read properly and responded to quickly it would be in his best interest to write legibly. Using all capital lettering, abbreviated instant texting language and rude comments will not earn him a reply at all from this point on.

Of course, as Mike suggests, you might try finding out who the **** this guy is first!

Frozen Sooner
4/5/2008, 04:17 PM
I had a great e-mail chain going with a person a couple of years ago that went something like this:

Person originally came to my office and said that they'd like a car loan. Her credit was completely jacked up, but I told her I'd do it if she could prove that she was receiving a massive settlement from a lawsuit-i.e. I wanted either a copy of the judgment or a letter from the defendant admitting their liability and the terms of payment. She said fine, and everything was good.

A week later, she e-mailed me and said that she was having trouble getting the requested documents. I said fine, get them to me and we can proceed.

Next e-mail: Is it OK if I give you a letter from my lawyer saying that they're liable.

No, your lawyer's opinion on this isn't relevant until a judge rules. I need the ruling.

Next e-mail: How about my tax returns showing I'm getting a $10k refund this year?

No, that's not relevant to this discussion. The approval is conditional on proving X amount of dollars in structured settlement money per year.

Next: I don't understand why you won't take my lawyer's letter that I'm entitled to this money.

Ma'am, because I need proof that a judgment in your favor has been entered, not a simple statement from your attorney that the defendant is liable. Your lawyer's opinion does not guarantee payment.

Next: I feel like you've lied to me.

I'm very sorry you feel that way. Please review the conversation to date and you'll find that your feeling on this is in error.

Next: I don't know if I want to do business with a liar.

Ma'am, I know I don't wish to do business with someone who thinks I'm a liar. Please take your business elsewhere, as you have failed to provide the documentary evidence that I made amply clear in our initial conversation would be required. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Widescreen
4/5/2008, 04:21 PM
I had a great e-mail chain going with a person a couple of years ago that went something like this:

Person originally came to my office and said that they'd like a car loan. Her credit was completely jacked up, but I told her I'd do it if she could prove that she was receiving a massive settlement from a lawsuit-i.e. I wanted either a copy of the judgment or a letter from the defendant admitting their liability and the terms of payment. She said fine, and everything was good.

A week later, she e-mailed me and said that she was having trouble getting the requested documents. I said fine, get them to me and we can proceed.

Next e-mail: Is it OK if I give you a letter from my lawyer saying that they're liable.

No, your lawyer's opinion on this isn't relevant until a judge rules. I need the ruling.

Next e-mail: How about my tax returns showing I'm getting a $10k refund this year?

No, that's not relevant to this discussion. The approval is conditional on proving X amount of dollars in structured settlement money per year.

Next: I don't understand why you won't take my lawyer's letter that I'm entitled to this money.

Ma'am, because I need proof that a judgment in your favor has been entered, not a simple statement from your attorney that the defendant is liable. Your lawyer's opinion does not guarantee payment.

Next: I feel like you've lied to me.

I'm very sorry you feel that way. Please review the conversation to date and you'll find that your feeling on this is in error.

Next: I don't know if I want to do business with a liar.

Ma'am, I know I don't wish to do business with someone who thinks I'm a liar. Please take your business elsewhere, as you have failed to provide the documentary evidence that I made amply clear in our initial conversation would be required. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Why would you lie to her like that??????!!!1!???

Chuck Bao
4/5/2008, 04:58 PM
I would tell him if he wishes to be read properly and responded to quickly it would be in his best interest to write legibly. Using all capital lettering, abbreviated instant texting language and rude comments will not earn him a reply at all from this point on.

Of course, as Mike suggests, you might try finding out who the **** this guy is first!

Heh! In the correspondence before this one, one of my analysts asked him to please learn to write in proper English. I'm assuming he's using some hand-held device to send emails.

I know who he is. He's STOCK GURU!

He's a retail investor. I have to admire him for his persistence. He probably has some good ideas too.

Hence, his greatest fear is that we're going to ignore him.

Cam
4/5/2008, 08:49 PM
Not all business is good business.

Bingo. We "divorce" customers all the time when they have very unreasonable expectations.

When I say unreasonable expectations, I mean people who buy used machines from a 3rd party but expect us to do repair/tech support work for free, or people who have 7-8 year old systems and wonder why we won't upgrade them for free because they're having issues installing XP on a machine with 256 MB Ram.

Sometimes you just have to cut bait. Send them to your competitor and let them deal with them.