PDA

View Full Version : Holy ****! Non-Nascar fans need not view this thread

BudSooner
4/4/2008, 06:01 PM
Michael McDowell meet turn 1 at Texas motorspeedway.

:eek:

http://www.nascar.com/video/cup/2008/04/04/cup.tex.quals.mcdowell.nascar/index.html?MostPopular

How do you imbed a video?

I would have just posted the video here rather than posting a link, but cannot figure out how to do so.

GrapevineSooner
4/4/2008, 08:47 PM
I don't know that you can imbed videos from Nascar.com.

Anyway, thank goodness for the HANS device and Safer Barrier walls.

And especially, the Corn Can.

reevie
4/4/2008, 09:41 PM
Ouch. That's going to leave a mark.

dw17
4/7/2008, 04:39 PM
Shows how safe the cars are, doesn't it? They were saying today that if Dale would not have died, McDowell probably would have. Meaning the changes wouldn't have been made.

OKLA21FAN
4/7/2008, 04:43 PM
there is a lesson to be learned here.

don't turn right

i was there on Friday and it was surreal seeing this crash live. and even more unbelievable when he got out of the car, and walked away.

GrapevineSooner
4/12/2008, 10:29 AM
Shows how safe the cars are, doesn't it? They were saying today that if Dale would not have died, McDowell probably would have. Meaning the changes wouldn't have been made.

I'm not so sure.

Keep in mind that befor Dale died, NASCAR had already seen horrific crashes claim the lives of Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin Jr., and Tony Roper. Had Dale's crash not happened, I suspect that in 2001, more drivers would have been killed or seriously injured. Even if none of the crashes invovled a big name like Dale Earnhardt Sr. or Jeff Gordon, the sheer numbers would have forced NASCAR to do something about it.

To what degree, I don't know. And even though they've enacted plenty of safety features today, there are still some holes that need to be filled, like putting a SAFER barrier on the inside wall of the backstretch at the cookie cutter tracks.

Still, it was unforgivable at the time that Nascar hadn't enacted these safety features when Dale Sr. died. They already had ample evidence about how damaging head on crashes were at the time and the only thing they did about it was mandate kill switches on the throttle at NHIS in the event it became stuck like it did for Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin Jr.