PDA

View Full Version : Golf Tip-O-the-Day

OU4LIFE
4/4/2008, 11:02 AM
Next time you are on the range, work on hitting the ball with your feet together, about an inch apart, half to three-quarter swings. After a few minutes, your ball striking should improve and it will improve your balance. If you make a lot of compensations in your golf swing, it will be hard to keep your balance, so slow down.

It's going to be a beautiful weekend in Oklahoma, spend some of it on the course.

Turd_Ferguson
4/4/2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the tip. I have a question for you. I tend to pinch my balls(heh) with my 7 iron through wedges. I get them to bite, but I want to learn to back'm up. What's the secret?:pop:

Newbomb Turk
4/4/2008, 11:13 AM
I want to learn to back'm up. What's the secret?:pop:

just hit them hole-high.

fadada1
4/4/2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the tip. I have a question for you. I tend to pinch my balls(heh) with my 7 iron through wedges. I get them to bite, but I want to learn to back'm up. What's the secret?:pop:

what kind of ball are you using??

edit: learn to control the trajectory of your shots as opposed to hitting balls with a ton a spin. better control over trajectory will lead to better results than being able to back the ball up a lot.

Turd_Ferguson
4/4/2008, 11:18 AM
what kind of ball are you using??Titless....either ProV or NXT.

Partial Qualifier
4/4/2008, 11:49 AM
There was a guy who used to give lessons at that old, ratty driving range in far SW Edmond (it closed years ago) and he taught me this exact same drill. He had me start out with my feet together, then slowly widening my stance.

It really teaches you balance and timing. And shows someone who tends to swing too hard (ahem) that generating force with your arms is bad. A great drill. Excellent tip, 4Life

Partial Qualifier
4/4/2008, 11:53 AM
oh I bought some MP-33's yesterday - used, but in almost-new condition, bought from a guy who is exactly my height and medium-flex shafts which suit me, so I shouldn't have to re-shaft and fit them. We'll see. I'm thinkin' I'm rhett to go. Can't wait to hit the range this weekend

OU4LIFE
4/4/2008, 12:01 PM
now that i've improved my scoring, I don't understand why people want to spin the ball so much. I can spin it plenty, especially with the new wedges, but my best shots ALWAYS just sort of sit down. Every time I can remember having a ton of spin on the ball, it never helped me out, it always left me further from the hole.

So like fads said, trajectory is where this game is at. srsly.

Having said that, your not going to spin it playing a pinnacle.

nice sticks PQ, I'm not man enough to swing them. I'm not ready for shovels, but the blade types usually hurt me more than they are worth for the cool factor of being in my bag.

OU4LIFE
4/4/2008, 12:05 PM
I'll post another tip that worked for me on Monday, with any luck, maybe this will become semi-regular. I know fads has a ton to dish out.

Turd_Ferguson
4/4/2008, 12:12 PM
now that i've improved my scoring, I don't understand why people want to spin the ball so much. I can spin it plenty, especially with the new wedges, but my best shots ALWAYS just sort of sit down. Every time I can remember having a ton of spin on the ball, it never helped me out, it always left me further from the hole.

nice sticks PQ, I'm not man enough to swing them. I'm not ready for shovels, but the blade types usually hurt me more than they are worth for the cool factor of being in my bag.I don't want to spin the ball so much...Like I said, my ball pretty much sits with the swing I have. I was just curious what type of strike on the ball would amplify the spin enough to make it back up? The short game is my long suit and it keeps me scoring decently. I just like to experiment with working the ball different ways.

SoonerAcesUp
4/4/2008, 12:14 PM
I'll post another tip that worked for me on Monday, with any luck, maybe this will become semi-regular. I know fads has a ton to dish out.

Ahhh yeah! I'll be down to mid single-digit handicapper in no time with all these tips.

SoonerAcesUp
4/4/2008, 12:20 PM
I know of course that the pros have much better swings than us amateurs but do the greens that they play on have a lot do with how much they can spin it? I mean most of the greens that I've played are really soft and the ball leaves a big divot so I'm sure that would take a lot of spin off of it. The greens they play on usually don't make big divots when the ball hits. The ball will hit, take a bounce and then spin. Am I wrong?

Turd_Ferguson
4/4/2008, 12:26 PM
I know of course that the pros have much better swings than us amateurs but do the greens that they play on have a lot do with how much they can spin it? I mean most of the greens that I've played are really soft and the ball leaves a big divot so I'm sure that would take a lot of spin off of it. The greens they play on usually don't make big divots when the ball hits. The ball will hit, take a bounce and then spin. Am I wrong?
True....I played Sawgrass a few years ago and the greens were as hard as the cart path:D

Newbomb Turk
4/4/2008, 12:35 PM
I can get some serious distance using the cart path.

Partial Qualifier
4/4/2008, 12:36 PM
nice sticks PQ, I'm not man enough to swing them. I'm not ready for shovels, but the blade types usually hurt me more than they are worth for the cool factor of being in my bag.

I learned with blades and they're all i've consistently played with, though I've tried more forgiving clubs a few times in the past but what I may have gained in forgiveness was overshadowed by the loss of feedback. i guess I need that pain in my hands to remind me to swing right.

Mjcpr
4/4/2008, 12:37 PM
You're not keeping your head down.

YWIA

Partial Qualifier
4/4/2008, 12:42 PM
Sometimes it's hard to see on TV just how much the greens slope. What Hairy said applies to the pros too, when they get the ball rolling back insanely fast, it rarely is helping them out.

But you may be spinning it back more than you realize when you can hit a full short iron. It's hard to gauge how many feet it might be rolling coming back or going straight away from you.

fadada1
4/4/2008, 01:43 PM

what he said.

the pros (myself included - after all, i am a professional athlete:D ) can spin the ball on demand (and a lot if needed). most of the courses these guys play are in prime condition. BUT, the greens are often very hard and vey fast - so the spin won't look as dramatic on TV. if, however, they get some rain, you may even see these guys switch balls (i.e., from a proV1 to the proVX). i doubt if they'd switch to a pinnacle, but they definetely have to be careful on softer greens.

OUDoc
4/4/2008, 01:46 PM
What they said.

picasso
4/4/2008, 01:49 PM
avoid penalty hazards and out of bounds. this tip woulda saved me 7 strokes last time out.

swardboy
4/4/2008, 03:05 PM
Next time you are on the range, work on hitting the ball with your feet together, about an inch apart, half to three-quarter swings. After a few minutes, your ball striking should improve and it will improve your balance. If you make a lot of compensations in your golf swing, it will be hard to keep your balance, so slow down.

It's going to be a beautiful weekend in Oklahoma, spend some of it on the course.

May I say from experience that this is the greatest golf tip I ever received (except for properly aligning my shoulders, which cured my slice). Allow me to add one more thing: Restrict your backswing to having your arms parallel to the ground and the club at 90 degrees to the arms (or straight up), and mirror this on the follow through. This encourages proper wrist **** and promotes good balance and tempo of the swing.

And with a slow swing, most golfers are blown away with the results of this simple exercise.

Carry on.....

fadada1
4/4/2008, 03:35 PM
This encourages proper wrist **** and promotes good balance and tempo of the swing.

exact quote from the PGA teaching manual.

:D

sooner_born_1960
4/4/2008, 03:40 PM
Liberal use of the "foot wedge" has taken a dozen strokes off my game. What's the PGA got to say about that?

fadada1
4/4/2008, 03:41 PM
Liberal use of the "foot wedge" has taken a dozen strokes off my game. What's the PGA got to say about that?

is your foot a movable obstruction or loose impediment?

sooner_born_1960
4/4/2008, 03:41 PM
Yes.

fadada1
4/4/2008, 03:46 PM
Yes.

sweet. you can't lose.

VeeJay
4/4/2008, 03:52 PM
I keep a boot wedge close by that keeps my ball generally within a clear line with the green.

sooner_born_1960
4/4/2008, 03:57 PM
sweet. you can't lose.
A dozen stroke still leaves me at or near 100. So, yes, I can and do lose.