PDA

View Full Version : This is why I'm pround to be an Okie.

afs
4/3/2008, 10:30 PM
http://www.enidnews.com/localnews/local_story_093233753.html

Hundreds attend slain soldier Hake’s funeral in Enid
By Robert Barron Staff Writer
Nearly a thousand people turned out Wednesday at Oklahoma Bible Academy to pay their final respects to Army Staff Sgt. Chris Hake, while thousands more lined Enid streets waving Ameri-can flags.

The two-hour funeral was a combination honor for Hake for serving his country and comfort to his family, said the Rev. Garvie Schmidt, of Enid Mennonite Brethren Church.

Hake was killed March 23 while on patrol in southern Baghdad. Three other soldiers died along with him. They were assigned to 4th Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, of Fort Stewart, Ga.

Bagpipes played mournfully as the coffin was taken into and out of OBA, where Hake graduated in 2000, followed by an estimated 100 family members, including his wife, Kelli, and son, Gage, and his parents.

“Chris was committed to a cause, a mission. He gave 110 percent of himself to the cause that the people of Iraq and all people will be free,” Schmidt said.

He said one of Hake’s favorite sayings was” “God hasn’t given you more than you can bear.”

Throughout the service, which was attended by Gov. Brad Henry, friends talked about the type of person Hake was and his service to his country.

Several speakers talked about e-mails Hake sent to his family from Iraq. In them, he talked about the sacrifices he had to make in his Army career and his belief in God, saying he felt closer to God than ever before. In one e-mail, he said he was more at peace than he had ever been in his life.

The Rev. Larry Eschlinger, who performed Chris and Kelli Hake’s marriage ceremony, talked of how obvious it was they were in love. He also talked about Hake’s dedication and his service.

“We walk freer, the Iraqi people walk freer, the world is freer because of men like Chris,” he said.

Dallas Caldwell, former OBA headmaster, said Hake’s class was “fun-loving.” He joked about some of the things Hake and his friends did that they shouldn’t have.

“Chris was guilty, but he was always clean. He knew just when to get out. He was the guy who watched the door,” Caldwell said.

“They were a fun group. They were lighthearted, that’s how they lived life,” he said. “I loved that guy. He’s my hero.”

In a letter to Gage Hake, Hake’s year-old son, Caldwell said, “God weeps with us. God knows this is a wicked and hateful place.”

Hake will be buried Tuesday in Arlington National Cemetery.

He is the second Enid man killed in Iraq. Army Staff Sgt. Clint Storey was killed Aug. 4, 2006, and buried in Enid.

--Staff Sgt Hake was in the group of 4 that pushed US casuality #s over 4000 late last month.

afs
4/3/2008, 10:32 PM
One more from today:

http://www.enidnews.com/localnews/local_story_092231303.html

Hake’s family amazed by, thankful for the city’s support
By Robert Barron, Staff Writer
Kelli Hake remembers her husband, Chris, rol-ling around on the floor playing with their son, Gage. She also remembers how considerate he was to call her from Iraq, sometimes three or four times a day.

“He was thoughtful, and he was the funniest guy in the world,” she said, of the man she first met through family.

Now, she and Gage will have to go on without husband and father. Army Staff Sgt. Chris Hake, 26, was killed March 23 in southern Baghdad when his vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb. Three other soldiers also died in the attack.

His funeral will be 3:30 p.m. today at Oklahoma Bi-ble Academy. Burial will be 3 p.m. Tuesday in Arlington National Cemetery.

“He wanted to make sure Gage was roughhoused and played with. I have videos of him rolling around and playing on the ground,” she said.

Kelli will miss having her husband there as Gage grows up. Gage, who was born Oct. 14, 2006, doesn’t understand now. He doesn’t understand the concept of mommy and daddy, she said, but he is happy to have family members around to play with. He is a good boy.

“He sleeps well, acts good. He’s just a great kid,” she said.

She now lives near Fort Stewart, Ga., where Chris was stationed as a member of the 3rd Infantry Division before returning to Iraq for his second tour. Kelli, a Stillwater native, said she probably will move back to Oklahoma after she sells their house.

“I had no idea the type of support we have received,” she said. “Going down (Monday), and all the flags and everyone standing out there ... It’s something you would never dream about. It was amazing how many people were out there, I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it myself.”

Hake’s body was returned to Enid Monday, and residents turned out in large numbers, lining the route from Enid Woodring Regional Airport to Ladusau-Evans Funeral Home.

“I just want to say thank you to everyone who has done so much for us. Things people brought to the house, food, everything people have done,” she said.

Chris’ father, Pete, is tired, but said he has been in good spirits, although Monday was emotional.

“I’m a little tired, but I’m OK,” he said.

Seeing his son’s casket arrive at Woodring and touching it made everything real. Pete Hake said the moment was pretty emotional for everyone.

“We were doing pretty good the week before. (Monday) was hard, the casket made it all real,” he said.

“We’re just overwhelmed by the support from the town of Enid and people who keep bringing food over and money. It just never stops,” he said. “We’re about to buy another refrigerator to keep the food in.”

He talked with Army representatives Monday who said they were surprised at the turnout and support they saw along the route from the airport to the funeral home.

“You know 90 percent of them don’t know Chris. They’re just turning out because they believe in our soldiers,” Pete said. “When you see all this it just soaks us up. It makes me more proud of Chris and more appreciative of the town — old guys saluting — it makes you real appreciative of the people of Enid.”

Around the Square people were lined up shoulder-to-shoulder for several blocks. Pete said he hoped there would be a lot of people, but he never imagined the turnout.

“When the plane rolled up yesterday, everyone broke down. Having him here and touching the casket ... The ride to town was about the same with all the people out,” he said. “You can’t believe that many people would come out to honor your son and your husband.”

Gage recognizes pictures of his father and occasionally comments. Those moments are the hardest, Pete said.

Chris was supposed to come home for 18 days in July for a mid-tour break, and he wanted to spend time with Kelli and Gage.

Recently, he became interested in building things, and he wanted to get some wood and see what he could build. First, would be a big toy box for Gage. The couple, who have been married three years, had no plans for the end of his deployment.

There are about 20 family members in town, and Pete expects about 70 for the funeral. About 20 will attend the burial at Arlington National Cemetery.

sooner n houston
4/4/2008, 08:30 AM
May God bless this family and prayers to all our soliders, etc.

And thanks to the good people who show these families how much their loved ones sacrifices mean to all of us!

Sooner_Bob
4/4/2008, 08:39 AM
:(

TUSooner
4/4/2008, 08:47 AM
How very sad for that young family.... May God bless them and all our people "over there."

opksooner
4/4/2008, 10:17 AM
From another account:

Outside the school, 17 law enforcement officers stood between four protesters from Topeka, Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church and those holding a counter-demonstration.

:(