PDA

View Full Version : When a baby is destined to die

SoonerKnight
4/3/2008, 07:28 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23682263/

This is a good story. Too long to post but here is the first paragraph and be warned it is an emotional story!

Jeanne Deibert knew as soon as she saw the ultrasound.

It didn’t matter that the doctor told her that what looked on the screen like pockets in her son’s brain would likely disappear as he got closer to birth. That things were probably fine. That she shouldn’t worry too much about her baby.

She was his mother. And she felt certain that something was wrong.

LilSooner
4/3/2008, 07:43 PM
I read that article last week and cried for a good thirty minuets. I'm not a mother, but it tore me up.

SoonerStormchaser
4/3/2008, 07:50 PM
Oh man...that just brought up a flood of memories as to what Carolyn and I went through last year. It's an unfortunate reality...one I hope like hell none of you ever have to face. I just pray that we are fortunate enough to not have to go through that again.

SoonerAcesUp
4/3/2008, 08:09 PM
I wish I wouldn't have even seen this thread. My wife and I are going in next Thursday to hopefully find out what we are having. I've got all kinds of emotions going through me. Sorry but I can't even click on the link to read the rest of the story. I hope and pray everything is going to be perfectly fine from here on out.

Okla-homey
4/3/2008, 09:47 PM
If you want to help end this stuff...support the March of Dimes. Right here in Oklahoma at the end of this month.

http://www.marchforbabies.org

crawfish
4/4/2008, 07:39 AM
A couple we knew back in the early 90's learned that their baby' heart was going to be unable to function by itself. This was about about seven months into the pregnancy. They decided to go ahead and carry the baby to term and enjoy the precious moments while the child was alive.

When the baby was born, it struggled for a few days...then the heart inexplicably corrected itself! This beautiful baby girl left the hospital just three days later, and today is a beautiful, healthy, normal 15-year-old girl. One of the more amazing stories I've ever experienced.

StoopTroup
4/4/2008, 07:56 AM
I'll be back later and read this...

I'm not ready for a good cry yet.

Tear Down This Wall
4/4/2008, 02:12 PM
We just had our second child, a girl, in December. Before I had kids, these stories kind of just passed before my eyes. Now, they make me want to drive straight home from work to hug and hold my little boy and girl.

Nothing changes you like being a dad. I thank God so much for my little ones and their health. It really, really is a blessing.

SoonerAcesUp
4/4/2008, 02:17 PM
We just had our second child, a girl, in December. Before I had kids, these stories kind of just passed before my eyes. Now, they make me want to drive straight home from work to hug and hold my little boy and girl.

Nothing changes you like being a dad. I thank God so much for my little ones and their health. It really, really is a blessing.

Yeah I'm the same way and I haven't even had the kid yet.

Tear Down This Wall
4/4/2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah I'm the same way and I haven't even had the kid yet.

I never prayed so hard in my life as when my wife was pregnant with ours. It's hard to describe the wait to people without kids. It's exciting and nervewracking. So much to do and learn.

Being a dad is a gift from God, too. It takes alot of prayer as well. I want to be a better dad than my dad was for me. I work hard at it.

StoopTroup
4/4/2008, 02:49 PM
Well...I didn't cry.

That my friends are two of the best people I've seen in awhile.

They have my deepest sympathy and my greatest respect.

Not all great stories are happy endings but miracles are all great stories.

They experienced a miracle and got to spend time with their child.

Wow.

BTW...Homey's right...

Support the March of Dimes.

sooner_born_1960
4/4/2008, 03:05 PM
Well...I did.

crawfish
4/4/2008, 03:08 PM
I never prayed so hard in my life as when my wife was pregnant with ours. It's hard to describe the wait to people without kids. It's exciting and nervewracking. So much to do and learn.

Being a dad is a gift from God, too. It takes alot of prayer as well. I want to be a better dad than my dad was for me. I work hard at it.

Yeah, and afterwards wasn't much different...can't tell you how many times I snuck into the baby's room in the middle of the night to make sure he was breathing...

tbl
4/4/2008, 03:11 PM
Wow... I sobbed like a baby reading that. It just took me back to the two times I was there for my daughter and son and everything was great. We have a little girl on the way that should be with us in July and I just can't imagine going through something like this. I'm not worried at all about us because everything is fine, but it just breaks my heart for people that have to go through this. Those of us that are fortunate enough to have healthy children need to be reminded more often how blessed we truly are.

AMSooner
4/4/2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah, and afterwards wasn't much different...can't tell you how many times I snuck into the baby's room in the middle of the night to make sure he was breathing...

My son is 15 months old and I still do this. Those people are very strong. I can't imagine going through something like that. :(

okiediva
4/5/2008, 12:03 PM
As a hospice nurse myself I cannot imagine how hard it would be to take care of a newborn that was dying or preparing a pregnant mother for the death of her baby. Those nurses are true angels.

StoopTroup
4/5/2008, 12:09 PM

Heck mine are 5 & 10 and I still do it.

Tear Down This Wall
4/7/2008, 01:30 PM

I still do that, too. We've got a two year old and a four month old. I check them before I go to bed and at least once during the night. I don't know what it is. I just worry about them like nothing I've ever worried about before.