PDA

View Full Version : Accelerate by R.E.M.

sooneron
4/3/2008, 03:10 PM
Bought it at Target the other day for 10 bucks. It's good, but not great, IMO. It's a throwback album, but I feel like it doesn't throwback enough. Feels like Automatic For The People plugged version I was promised more like the olden times of Reckoning or Chronic Town. There are some nice songs, I think it's tad over rated. I'm not surprised by this.

Thoughts? Anyone?

bri
4/3/2008, 03:14 PM
I got it Monday night at the H.A.A.R.P. screening but haven't had a chance to really sit and listen to it all the way through yet. I've liked what I've heard so far, though. Any return to rocking is always welcome to me. :D

Beef
4/3/2008, 03:17 PM
I'll give it a listen over the weekend. Good R.E.M. is much better than what they've given us lately, so I'll take it. I don't know why, but I really want them to be great again. I have been nostalgic lately on my '80's "alternative" music, and I don't want to see a band with that much talent slip the way they have.

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2008, 03:23 PM
Decent.

I'm back on Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings though.

sooneron
4/3/2008, 05:02 PM
The only song that seems really reminiscent of the "early" stuff is Accelerate, imo.

Viking Kitten
4/3/2008, 05:41 PM
I'd give it another listen or two before you give up on it. There were a couple of songs that grabbed me right off the bat, a few others needed time to sink it. Most of their stuff has been like that for me.

Would I say it's their best album ever? No. It's still really, really good though.

Newbomb Turk
4/3/2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up ron. I didn't even know they had something new. I'll give it a try. Murmur is still probably one of my 3 favorite albums of all time.

sooneron
4/3/2008, 09:12 PM
I'd give it another listen or two before you give up on it. There were a couple of songs that grabbed me right off the bat, a few others needed time to sink it. Most of their stuff has been like that for me.

Would I say it's their best album ever? No. It's still really, really good though.

I've listened to it at least three times now. Twice in the car and once around the house.

sooneron
4/3/2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up ron. I didn't even know they had something new. I'll give it a try. Murmur is still probably one of my 3 favorite albums of all time.

Murmur is great. I like Reckoning slightly better. I'm not sure why, but that album has always hit the spot for me.
I would probably rank this one somewhere around 5th or 6th best. That is saying a lot about the quality of the albums ahead of it, though.

OUAndy1807
4/4/2008, 03:01 PM
I don't usually like REM and I like this album a lot.