PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any luck buying airline upgrades?

Triumph
4/3/2008, 12:26 PM
Anyone have any experience airline upgrades off of Ebay? I saw someone selling their "advice" to get an upgrade. I guess you send them your flight number and day/time, and if business/first class seat is available they will make the arrangements for an upgrade and email you the confirmation. Anyone done this?

How about purchasing upgrade vouchers through the American Airline advantage program? How often can you actually use those?

SoonerStormchaser
4/3/2008, 01:32 PM
Don't buy the "advice" on ebay...and DON'T buy the AA upgrades online unless you're elite.

Triumph
4/4/2008, 08:31 PM
bueller?

SoonerStormchaser
4/4/2008, 09:41 PM
See my response

Sooner24
4/4/2008, 10:14 PM
Anyone have any experience airline upgrades off of Ebay? I saw someone selling their "advice" to get an upgrade. I guess you send them your flight number and day/time, and if business/first class seat is available they will make the arrangements for an upgrade and email you the confirmation. Anyone done this?

How about purchasing upgrade vouchers through the American Airline advantage program? How often can you actually use those?

The last few times my wife and I have flown on AA we used the self check-in kiosk and upgraded to F for $45 for each 500 miles segment. It was $180 extra for both of us DFW/PHX and the same for DFW/BNA. Flying DFW/BNA in May and if there are seats available will upgrade again.

My wife and I have enough miles to fly F to Hawaii and are thinking about going this winter. I have always heard you want to fly F to the islands.

sooneron
4/4/2008, 10:23 PM
The last few times my wife and I have flown on AA we used the self check-in kiosk and upgraded to F for $45 for each 500 miles segment. It was $180 extra for both of us DFW/PHX and the same for DFW/BNA. Flying DFW/BNA in May and if there are seats available will upgrade again.

My wife and I have enough miles to fly F to Hawaii and are thinking about going this winter. I have always heard you want to fly F to the islands.

yes you do.

VeeJay
4/4/2008, 10:29 PM
Why would anyone remotely be interested in getting "upgraded" to FC after you've been forced to take off your shoes, belt, empty your pockets, and lay your whole worldly contents in a gray container passing through an X-Ray machine?

Just stick me in the very back of the goddam plane between two 250 pound smelly guys, right behind two screaming kids, throw some surly flight attendants in, have some fugger's overhead luggage which won't cram in there fall onto your lap, and "enjoy your flight."

Chuck Bao
4/4/2008, 10:53 PM
I have no idea, Triumph.

My problem is sorta related.

I tried to book a United flight yesterday and they said that they are booked solid for the months of June and July.

I take that back. I could fly to the US on only one day in those two months - June 25 – but I couldn’t return to Asia until sometimes in August.

Several people told me that United is now limiting the number of flights, ensuring capacity utilization of 94% and above in order to save fuel costs.

Or, maybe it was because I was trying to use my frequent flier points and the airline had pre-sold discounted blocks of seats to the major travel agencies. I’m going to ask my travel agent if she can book something for me.

I have enough frequent flier points for three round trip economy tickets between Bangkok and Dallas and most of my points expire in July next year. So, I’d prefer to use them and save the $2,000 cost on an economy class ticket.

Has anyone had that sort of a problem?

soonerboomer93
4/4/2008, 11:16 PM
united has me so ****ed right now.

i'm flying continental next time i have to fly to asia

Chuck Bao
4/9/2008, 07:17 PM
I'm confused about all of this. I called back and asked to use my frequent flier points in August and it's fully booked too. This time the United person said that I could use the points as a payer standard and that opens up June, July and August to book any time I want. But if I use the points this way I only have enough for one free round trip ticket, instead of three through the saver plan.

So, if you plan on buying points off of eBay, I think you need to read the fine print.

SoonerStormchaser
4/9/2008, 07:34 PM
United and Delta are the two WORST airlines to redeem miles on in the US.

StormySooner-IN
4/9/2008, 07:45 PM

Yes you do. It flew last year from SFO to HNL in a 767. You get at least 3 feet between your feet and the seat in front...and a big meal.....and full recliner chairs and footrests....meal...cookies...movie..etc.

soonerloyal
4/9/2008, 07:49 PM
Do you fly AA? PM me.

StoopTroup
4/9/2008, 11:50 PM
Yes you do. It flew last year from SFO to HNL in a 767. You get at least 3 feet between your feet and the seat in front...and a big meal.....and full recliner chairs and footrests....meal...cookies...movie..etc.

It is sweet....

soonerboomer93
4/10/2008, 02:08 AM
some of you guys haven't seen redisigned international first and business classes

Sooner24
4/12/2008, 11:33 PM
Do you fly AA? PM me.

I fly AA when I do fly. Being in Ardmore is sweet because sometimes it's cheaper out of OKC and sometimes cheaper out of DFW. If the difference in price is $75 dollars or less I will usually just fly non-stop out of DFW.