PDA

View Full Version : oSu B-Ball Fans Are Too Funny

stoopified
4/3/2008, 09:46 AM
I was over on OP checking out the latest INSIDE scoop on their coaching search.I ran across a thread called NEW COACHING STUFF(catchy title).In this thread a poster claiming inside sources says Bill Self has been offerred a 10 year, 40 MILLION contract.Another Ag chimes in and says the next coach will be either Self or Gillespie,I GUARANTEE IT!

Ags are just too funny.

soonermix
4/3/2008, 10:02 AM
there are 2 bill selfs in college basketball coaching?????

Mixer!
4/3/2008, 10:03 AM
Bobby Knight was reportedly seen downtown looking at office furniture.

HE MUST BE COMING TO COACH AT BOONE STATE!!!

stoopified
4/3/2008, 10:14 AM
Bobby Knight was reportedly seen downtown looking at office furniture.

HE MUST BE COMING TO COACH AT BOONE STATE!!!:D

Mad Dog Madsen
4/3/2008, 10:17 AM
I say they bring Eddie back...

badger
4/3/2008, 10:22 AM
Rumors and whispers from "inside sources"

(yes, I have my inside sources, shaddap guys, they are TOO inside sources)

1- Bill Self is considering leaving Kansas
2- OSU is going to ask him first.
3- If Self declines, then OSU will do a national search.
4- If there is any reason why Self would accept, it would be because of his family's OSU roots.
5- His wife was an OSU cheerleader, who apparently would like to return to Stilly.

Take it will a grain of salt, rinse and spit it out. In all likelihood, OSU is going to have to go the same route OU did for their basketball coach and the same route they took for their football coach - that means they'll hire a n00b. Look to mid-majors that went farther than they were supposed to in the tourney (WKU's coach already went to South Carolina, so he's out) in recent years (Marquette's already went to Indy, so he's out too) that might be looking to move up the chains for a slight pay raise. Jeff Capel fit this description well and he's showing his promise for better things to come.

Or... they can SPAM it: Spend Pickens' Available Money. This makes coaches that wouldn't consider OSU otherwise consider OSU. Depending on the amount of money and the current contract that coach has, this makes virtually everyone a possibility. We like to bash little sister school, but they've gone to, what, three or four final four's in the last 10 years? Plus, they have a very good stadium setup and a rabid fanbase that includes student tents.

Thus:
-If coaches want to go to a supportive school environment, they'll consider OSU.
-If coaches want to go to a school with great athletic facilities, they'll consider OSU.

With SPAM involved:
- If coaches want a raise, they'll consider OSU (either to force a raise at their own school or to go to OSU)
- If coaches want to be million-plus coaches, they'll seriously consider OSU
- If coaches want to be the highest paid coaches in the league, they'll come to OSU.

Now, does T-Boner want to break the bank on a new coach? I'm sure OSU itself doesn't. Therefore, the only way a high calibur coach comes to OSU is if Boone approves... which does not set a good precedent for OSU, because once again, they're relying on SPAM and SPAM is no substitute for ham (especially with green eggs, yum yum)

SoonerBOI
4/3/2008, 10:38 AM
I was over on OP checking out the latest INSIDE scoop on their coaching search.I ran across a thread called NEW COACHING STUFF(catchy title).In this thread a poster claiming inside sources says Bill Self has been offerred a 10 year, 40 MILLION contract.Another Ag chimes in and says the next coach will be either Self or Gillespie,I GUARANTEE IT!

Ags are just too funny.

Nice one Badger!
But, but feel for them. It has been a bad week. She-THUG Riley comes of age, lost their coach and former "Heisman" hopeful Bowman arrested. Oh well, pistol pete http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3672/pistolscu6.gif (http://imageshack.us) is misfiring...AGAIN.:D :D :D

Bourbon St Sooner
4/3/2008, 10:39 AM
I think one of the biggest problems for OSU right now is who wants to serve at the pleasure of T. Boone Pickens?

Mixer!
4/3/2008, 10:49 AM
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/8319/holdergolfgr7.jpg

Bourbon St Sooner
4/3/2008, 10:56 AM
I mean besides the obvious people that wouldn't be able to find gainful employment otherwise.

Mixer!
4/3/2008, 11:04 AM
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/7121/coachmonkeyci8.jpg

AND..he'll work for bananas!!!

Taxman71
4/3/2008, 11:44 AM
I think all the Bill Self "wanting to go to Stillwater" stuff is nothing but bargaining power to get an extra million from KU. Considering he is in the Final 4 and Boone is opening up his checkbook, his price is arguably higher than it ever will be again. I look for Self to cash in on a long, long term deal for over $3mil per.

Then again, I think we should read something into the fact that Self's #1 fan/mancrush John Rohde did not even mention his name in his column today about possible replacements. Did Self tell Rohde to omit him solely to avoid any distractions this week or because he really is wanting to jump and doesn't want to derail negotiations? If Self just wants a raise at KU, why wouldn't his bbf's article annoint Self as the only option at osu for over $4mil per year? Interesting......

wishbonesooner
4/3/2008, 01:03 PM
I have no idea what Bill Self will do, but if he leaves Kansas for OSU, he's a bigger retard than even OSU deserves.

Mjcpr
4/3/2008, 02:12 PM
Larry Brown? (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3327660)

badger
4/3/2008, 03:08 PM
Larry Brown's a possibility, especially considering that he's from the area-ish (he coached at KU before moving up to the NBA) and today's ballers like any mention of the NBA (no, children did not learn anything from the Bill Cally fiasco in Nebbish).

At this point, like I said, it comes down to SPAM. Brown is a possibility if T. Boner will open up his checkbook. OSU's athletic department is barely scraping by without it's usual SPAM allowance (lol @ OSU fans who think otherwise, especially considering the recent stadium expansion, the recent athletic facilitiy additions and improvements, and now paying for Sutton's buyout).

And my goodness, if they are always begging daddy for money, they'll be living in his basement unemployed until he decides to move or he passes away. So little sister, it's time to get a real job or a real education. Stop relying on daddy's money, because it won't last and as long as you rely on your SPAM allowance, he will control you till the day you move out or the day he dies.

...what am I saying? OSU will never be off the SPAM, so let's further discuss NBA reject possibilities...

1- Isaiah Thomas. He will be available to OSU soon with the hiring of a new president brought in to clean the Knicks up, but with the way he spends money beyond the luxury tax, Boone better keep a tight leash on the company line of credit.

2- Jeff Van Gundy. As long as we're talking about former Knick coaches, why not Van Gundy (or even brother Stan?). At this point, they need a big name to save face and OSU will settle for a B-list big name :D

3- Pat Riley. Soon to be available after jumping off the sinking Heat ship, Riley will look to rebound with a redeeming shot at his coaching legacy. "No, I am not a coaching failure that can only win with the Lakers. Didn't you see that one year I led the Heat to a championship? Didn't you? Ok then, now I want all of you guys to run until you're puking. ESPECIALLY you, fattie... oh, I'm sorry, Byron. Did I hurt your feelings? MORE SPRINTS!"

4- Phil Jackson. Soon to be available after he decides that Kobe is just uncoachable even with a $10 mil contract, Jackson will invent the Sheep Zen and become more wealthy than T. Bone himself... but not donate any to OSU.

5- Charles Barkley. Soon to be available after offending the last un-offended person still watching, Barkley will be a perfect mentor for the guys who are shorter, fatter and slower, but yet still can muscle out a win with threats of "NO POSTGAME FOOD BAR IF YOU LOSE AGAIN!" Once OSU issues everyone a ring for winning the first round in the NIT finally, Barkley will take many pictures of said ring, send them to Jordan and proclaim "See? SEE?!?" Jordan will demand that Barkley take him out of his "My Fave Five" circle and stop calling, dammit.

Mixer!
4/3/2008, 03:19 PM
Thas Turrribul. ;)

SleestakSooner
4/3/2008, 03:55 PM
OK one thing here I don't understand. If OSU is as it claims a "public" school why is it that Pickens seems to be in control of everything they do?

If he was to "open up his checkbook" would the money he is giving to a new basketball coach be under the table? How do they arrange to pay a coach legitimately using Pickens' money?

Alternatively, what would happen if the Gaylord family tried to tell Castiglione or Stoops how to run their business? I think Sooner Nation would rise up and scream in protest. Boone Pickens Nation accepts that he is all they have got going for them and follow his lead like little sheep.

bri
4/3/2008, 04:10 PM
Well, I think it helps that there's not actually a Boone Pickens Nation. At best, they're a small state. :D

NYC Poke
4/3/2008, 04:13 PM
You can take this to the bank now. Self is coming to Stillwater. So is Billy Gillespie. And Coach K and Phil Jackson. They're all going to be assistants for The Ghost of Henry Iba.

You heard it here first.

Mixer!
4/3/2008, 04:21 PM
Well, I think it helps that there's not actually a Boone Pickens Nation. At best, they're a small state - like Vatican City is inside Rome. :D
;)

stoopified
4/3/2008, 06:08 PM
OK one thing here I don't understand. If OSU is as it claims a "public" school why is it that Pickens seems to be in control of everything they do?
Money talks
If he was to "open up his checkbook" would the money he is giving to a new basketball coach be under the table? How do they arrange to pay a coach legitimately using Pickens' money?
Once T.Boone gives his money to TBS,they can do whatever they want with it.

Alternatively, what would happen if the Gaylord family tried to tell Castiglione or Stoops how to run their business? I think Sooner Nation would rise up and scream in protest. Boone Pickens Nation accepts that he is all they have got going for them and follow his lead like little sheep.
Unlike T. Boone State,OU has many big money donors and NOBODY is going to dictate terms to Joe C. and the OU athletic Dept.

badger
4/3/2008, 06:22 PM
You can take this to the bank now. Self is coming to Stillwater. So is Billy Gillespie. And Coach K and Phil Jackson. They're all going to be assistants for The Ghost of Henry Iba.

You heard it here first.

It's posts like this that would get you banned at OP.com... and spekked at SF.com :D

NYC Poke
4/3/2008, 07:26 PM
It's posts like this that would get you banned at OP.com... and spekked at SF.com :D

April 1 was a tough day for me. I was hungover out of proportion to what I truly deserved, and I was bored at work and hoping to go to OP for a little diversion, then the canning happened. I suspect when you imagine the meltdown over there (in addition to the "sympathetic" emails I received from my OU and KU "friends").

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2008, 07:42 PM
Guys, do I have to remind everyone of the coaches whose names were "surfacing" for the OU basketball job a couple of years back?

Names like Calipari and Wright?

Let 'em dream. They'll make a hire of some guy coaching at a mid-level school and it'll likely be a good hire.

royalfan5
4/3/2008, 08:48 PM
Isn't Brooks Thompson HC at some mid-major in Texas? Maybe they can get him.

Piware
4/4/2008, 12:51 AM
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/8319/holdergolfgr7.jpg

See my big grin - that's why they call me Boone's monkey.

SoonerShark
4/4/2008, 01:10 AM
A reanimated Henry Iba could be built using spare parts from the vet school. Peach baskets would supplant the existing baskets and once again exciting 34-32 squeakers would scorch the scoreboards.

wishbonesooner
4/4/2008, 10:08 AM
Here's a classic post on gopokes.com: This guy says if he was an OU fan :

3. I would like to see Holder leave the AD position at OSU. He shows them no respect, isn't intimidated by them in the least. He is smart, a proven winner and relentless competitor who bleeds orange.

4. I would like to see Gundy fail as the football coach at OSU. And I would try as hard as I could to convince the world that wins and losses were the reason that Sean was fired, and the only way to be fair to Sean Sutton would be to fire Gundy, basing his performance solely on wins and losses, completely disregarding the obvious differences in the two situations.

The guy is recruiting like never before. He is hiring great assistants. Unlike the guy he replaced, he is doing what is necessary to build the program for the long haul, in the best interest of the program, which is a much more difficult task than building a basketball program (especially when the bball program has already been built!). And OU fans know that along with the financial support of Pickens, Mike Gundy could become a legitimate pain in their *** for a long long time (don't try to get one of them to admit to this, it ain't happening).

badger
4/4/2008, 10:08 AM
April 1 was a tough day for me. I was hungover out of proportion to what I truly deserved, and I was bored at work and hoping to go to OP for a little diversion, then the canning happened. I suspect when you imagine the meltdown over there (in addition to the "sympathetic" emails I received from my OU and KU "friends").

What d00ches. Well, you can stay here and brag about Pokiness, it's kind of cute and funny :D

You can also bash your school all you want - that's where real humor is :D:D

Frozen Sooner
4/4/2008, 11:23 AM
4. I would like to see Gundy fail as the football coach at OSU.

It's always nice when I get what I want.

badger
4/4/2008, 01:06 PM
Here's a classic post on gopokes.com: This guy says if he was an OU fan :

3. I would like to see Holder leave the AD position at OSU
This is a classic example of Aggy fans thinking those darn cheatin' goonerz are not college grads, but just stupid high school dropouts that cheer fairweather fan-like for a winner. As such, any OU fan that I knew in college would like Holder to stay, because he's ruining any chance of OSU ever winning a lot again.

4. I would like to see Gundy fail as the football coach at OSU.
Again, another example of Aggy fans picturing stupid fairweather fan cheatin' goonerz as non-OU grads. Anyone who attends games and watches regularly (i.e. NON-fairweather fans) can clearly see that Gundy is failing as the football coach. Oh, let us count the ways:

1- You first season was incredibly losing.
2- T-R-O-Y Troy. You lost to TROY.
3- The only thing he is famous for nationwide is his tirade on puking garbage, being a 40-year-old man and hoping fat kids drop balls in pickup games so they come home crying.
4- A dirt-easy non-conference schedule (except that loss at Georgia) leads to bowl eligibility, despite losing to Troy! Yay!
5- You won a weird bowl game against a team not even trying to win. Remember that their goal was PLAY 13, not WIN the 13th game. So, play away, not WIN away, just PLAY :D

NormanPride
4/4/2008, 01:09 PM
Guys, do I have to remind everyone of the coaches whose names were "surfacing" for the OU basketball job a couple of years back?

Names like Calipari and Wright?

Let 'em dream. They'll make a hire of some guy coaching at a mid-level school and it'll likely be a good hire.

I don't think those would have been too far off if we had wanted to spend money like the pokes are. Most of us thought Tubby was the guy to go after, though. He went to Mini-Soda, so we weren't too far off our range there.

I know you're just playing devil's advocate, but you could only really compare if we were trying to go after Roy Williams. ;)

badger
4/4/2008, 01:17 PM
NormanPride, change your sig already. I have several dozen times in the past week and it's time you changed after about a year of that, ok? If you don't change your sig, I will change it for you when you least suspect. :D

Speaking of one of the fake roy williams, here's a good article on him:
linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3328800&sportCat=ncb)
It's the same article they'll eventually be writing about Oklahoma and Duke with Geoff K-Pro :mad:

I'm tellin' ya, it all comes down to whether or not OSU can SPAM it. They'll get a mid-major up and coming star of a coach if they need to pay themselves. They'll get Coach K if they have Boone's money :D

cheezyq
4/4/2008, 01:22 PM
I don't think those would have been too far off if we had wanted to spend money like the pokes are. Most of us thought Tubby was the guy to go after, though. He went to Mini-Soda, so we weren't too far off our range there.

I know you're just playing devil's advocate, but you could only really compare if we were trying to go after Roy Williams. ;)

Exactly. It's not like Calipari and Co. were at one of the top 5 legendary college basketball schools or anything. He's at Memphis.

And I don't recall too many of us here being deluded enough to "guarantee" that Calipari was coming here either. If anyone stated that, it was more along the lines of being sarcastic than actually believing it. Maybe I'm just forgetting that part of history, but that's the way I remember it. ;)

Crimsontothecore
4/4/2008, 02:30 PM

You heard it here first.

That's one of the more realistic comments I've heard from you chokes.

NormanPride
4/4/2008, 04:22 PM
NormanPride, change your sig already. I have several dozen times in the past week and it's time you changed after about a year of that, ok? If you don't change your sig, I will change it for you when you least suspect. :D

Speaking of one of the fake roy williams, here's a good article on him:
linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3328800&sportCat=ncb)
It's the same article they'll eventually be writing about Oklahoma and Duke with Geoff K-Pro :mad:

I'm tellin' ya, it all comes down to whether or not OSU can SPAM it. They'll get a mid-major up and coming star of a coach if they need to pay themselves. They'll get Coach K if they have Boone's money :D

I don't think you want to get into a sig war with me. ;)

badger
4/4/2008, 04:33 PM
I don't think you want to get into a sig war with me. ;)

I not sig warring you, I am simply requesting you be as clever and creative as me for once :D:D:D

the_ouskull
4/4/2008, 07:17 PM
Ah yes, Boone Tech and their coachless men's basketball team. Boo. Hoo.

If they had half a brain, they'd be going after Fran McCaffery from Siena, Sean Miller from Xavier, Tony Bennett from Washington State, Jim Larranaga from George Mason, or, wait for it... wait for it...

...in the move that would (quoting Weird Science) "ruin Christmas" forever... Scott Sutton from Oral Roberts.

I mean, if they're going to have some of Eddie's sp*rm coaching at Boone Tech, it may as well be the ones that Ol' Whisky River DIDN'T destroy... you know, the GOOD one?

Besides, the chant of "Daddy's OTHER Boy" filling the LNC as Blake vandalized the Pokes for about 25/15 would make it allll worthwhile.

But, since they DON'T have a brain, regardless of what happens, I think it will work out fairly well for the gross orange pr*cks. Boone's wallet and Eddie's tradition could be enough to get a bigish-name coach to file a change-of-address form. Martelli from St Joe's or O'Brien (I think) from Arizona after Lute comes back and he finds himself and the job he did this year with a talented, but confused and young team, wasted on the return of the "savior" both come to mind.

I'd really like to see T. Boone show off how much he knows about hoops and try to get Davidson's coach just because they had a good run. It's ALWAYS about the coach, right? I wish that they'd have given Ratboy 10 more years.

the_ouskull

NYC Poke
4/4/2008, 11:23 PM
What d00ches. Well, you can stay here and brag about Pokiness, it's kind of cute and funny :D

You can also bash your school all you want - that's where real humor is :D:D

I'll raise my neg-spek umbrella and say I'm proud of where I went to school and I'd never bash it. Some of our fans, however, I'm afraid have unrealistic expectations, and I'm more than willing to call that out, just not during meltdown mode. I'm too old for dealing with angst and OP doesn't do quite the job of smacking down the obnoxious newbs as SF does.

I would have rather posted that post on my own board to point out the absurdity of some of my brethren's expectations, and because I like joking around. It's sports. It's fun to follow, but it's only sports.

But I'd rather not deal with the accusations and finger-pointing. I'll wait for the meltdown to be complete before dipping my Nilla Wafer into the pudding of Orange.

badger
4/5/2008, 10:20 AM
I'll raise my neg-spek umbrella and say I'm proud of where I went to school and I'd never bash it. Some of our fans, however, I'm afraid have unrealistic expectations, and I'm more than willing to call that out, just not during meltdown mode.

I don't call out others when they're upset, but OU football fans can be the same way. I can't remember how many complaints there were about us running the ball up the middle so much, but then complaints later that we didn't keep our offense and defense secret enough for important games. Zzzz. I remember a few fans at the TU game yelling "Go Pokes!" because he thought OU's offense was as bad as OSU's at one point (yes, a losing point) in the game. However, we came back and won by a lot and he left early because there was nothing to complain about anymore, heh.

Despite some fans that bought nat'l championship shirts after the 2000 title, I love my school more than you love yours, nyah nyah, and wouldn't bash OU itself. A few fans, on the other hand, need to stop drinking before the weird comments become public at games, lol

Frozen Sooner
4/5/2008, 11:18 AM
When were they supposed to buy national championship t-shirts? They'd look rather silly sporting them BEFORE the Orange Bowl-even the 1985 shirts were getting kind of ratty.

william_brasky
4/5/2008, 12:48 PM
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=51498

tulsaoilerfan
4/5/2008, 08:40 PM
How long before OSU is on probation for something? T-Bone can't be above breaking a few rules here and there

RedStripe
4/6/2008, 10:13 PM
what will be funny is when osu doubles or tripples their ticket prices to pay the 4 mill

CrimsonandCreamForever
4/6/2008, 10:34 PM
OSU needs Bill Self more than KU needs him. Come home Bill, your Cowboys need you now more than ever.
Wow... just wow. Is that really a major selling point to these people?

Ash
4/6/2008, 10:46 PM
Wow... just wow. Is that really a major selling point to these people?

Is it all that surprising that their selling point is to whore themselves?

tommieharris91
4/6/2008, 11:16 PM
I'll raise my neg-spek umbrella and say I'm proud of where I went to school and I'd never bash it. Some of our fans, however, I'm afraid have unrealistic expectations, and I'm more than willing to call that out, just not during meltdown mode. I'm too old for dealing with angst and OP doesn't do quite the job of smacking down the obnoxious newbs as SF does.

You would get baned at OP for writing that, damded gooner that needs to go back to uo!

Soonerus
4/6/2008, 11:19 PM
If Self goes to OSU I'll streak at OSU's first b-ball game next year...

stoopified
4/7/2008, 09:31 AM
If Self goes to OSU I'll streak at OSU's first b-ball game next year...and if that happens,I'll THANK GOD I'm legally blind.(oh the humanity).

badger
4/7/2008, 10:05 AM
Our office's KU fans said Bill needs to get them a championship, then he can go wherever he wants.

Civicus_Sooner
4/7/2008, 12:59 PM
Remind me, didn't Roy Williams turn down NC a time or two before finally coming "home?"

I mean OSU is no NC.

badger
4/7/2008, 01:59 PM
Spam, Spam, Spam Spam, the incredibly simulated ham!
It bails you out
when your fanbase doth shouts:
"Gimmie some wins or we'll scram!"

So ousted is Sean
the ill-favored son
Thanks to $2.7 milly
Now SPAM pwns all
OSU will fall
My, what you're in is a dilly! (pickle)

The article:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080407_2__Oklah00288

SPAM paid for it, more than likely, much like SPAM will pay for his replacement. You are so pwn3d, OSU. You are so pwn3d.

Mixer!
4/7/2008, 07:09 PM
pdf file of the settlement. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/content/2008/pdf/suttonsettlement.pdf)

tulsaoilerfan
4/7/2008, 09:24 PM
I'm curious to see just how high ole T Booger will go to get Self to say yes

kevpks
4/8/2008, 12:08 AM
Why does OSU feel they have to go find someone with ties to the program to fill their football and basketball coaching vacancies? I mean, Stoops and Capel had no ties to OU when we hired them and they seem to be working out ok. Can't OSU just go find some up and comer looking to boost his career by going to Still...wa...ter.... Nevermind Pokes, go hire an alum.

Mixer!
4/8/2008, 01:11 PM
Aw, and you were spot on with your talking points up until the end there. ;)