PDA

View Full Version : Difference between a sheriff and a police officer?

OUDoc
4/3/2008, 08:10 AM
I know one's county and one's city, but what are the real differences? Does a sheriff have the same authority as a police officer to pull you over? One lives by me and I started thinking that they seem redundant (at least in the city).

yermom
4/3/2008, 08:17 AM
doleo told me that the jurisdiction of the Sherrif starts outside the city limits

OUDoc
4/3/2008, 08:20 AM
doleo told me that the jurisdiction of the Sherrif starts outside the city limits

So I can egg my neighbor's squad car as long as we're in the city? Cool!

yermom
4/3/2008, 08:23 AM
doleo says you should be fine. in fact, you should slash his tires

Okla-homey
4/3/2008, 08:23 AM
in Oklahoma, typically SD personnel are cross-deputized to enforce the law inside municipalities the same as out in the county. ditto OHP.

OUDoc
4/3/2008, 08:28 AM
Hold the eggs then.

Viking Kitten
4/3/2008, 08:35 AM
in Oklahoma, typically SD personnel are cross-deputized to enforce the law inside municipalities the same as out in the county. ditto OHP.

I understand sheriffs are usually cross deputized on tribal land as well.

Ans OK County deputy I asked about this said, while they can go into OKC and the surrounding cities, they tend to stick to unincorporated areas while patroling because they are the only law enforcement those areas have.

Okla-homey
4/3/2008, 08:46 AM
And don't forget "high speed pursuit!" Sheriff Jackie Gleason chased Burt Reynolds and Sally Field from one end of I-20 to the other!

Okla-homey
4/3/2008, 08:57 AM
I understand sheriffs are usually cross deputized on tribal land as well.

That's mainly because tribal police and tribal courts lack criminal jurisdiction over non-Indians. Thanks to a 7-2 decision by the Rehnquist Court in Oliphant v. Suquamish Indian Tribe, 435 U.S. 191 (1978). Thus, if a non-Indian commits a crime in Indian Country, the non-Indian po-po's need to be able to go in and get 'em.

However, recently, tribal cops are increasingly being cross-deputized as DEA agents, thus allowing them to arrest non-Indians cooking meth in Indian Country. Which is a very good thing.

Curly Bill
4/3/2008, 09:03 AM
So what about a city Marshall, cause I got one of those? That would be out here in the Saxet Panhandle I might add.

OUDoc
4/3/2008, 10:41 AM
http://www.francescacontreras.com/roadtrip/wyoming/wyoprison.jpg

r5TPsooner
4/3/2008, 10:58 AM
The Sheriff's office has less man power for sure than a police dept.

Frozen Sooner
4/3/2008, 11:57 AM
And don't forget "high speed pursuit!" Sheriff Jackie Gleason chased Burt Reynolds and Sally Field from one end of I-20 to the other!

Boy, when we get home I'm gonna slap your momma in the face. There is no way you are fruit of my loins.

shaun4411
4/3/2008, 12:08 PM
sheriff's deputies have mustaches, wear boots, spit chewing tobacco, and talk with a southern drawl.

police officers are clean shaven, less educated, and tend to be either 1. high school bullies, or 2. the guys the bullies beat up in high school.

Civicus_Sooner
4/3/2008, 12:12 PM
Sheriff Wetsel is a crook. That's all I know.

Triumph
4/3/2008, 12:24 PM
Apparently if your a sheriff you have the ability to drive 90 miles an hour down the highway with their pursuit lights not on and have no ramifications.

olevetonahill
4/3/2008, 12:26 PM
#1 City PoPo= City Marshall , they have jurisdiction Over Crime In their City
#2 County Sheriff = Generally Takes Care Of all the rest Of the County, But Can Take over an Investigation In a city, Usually wont unless asked to By the City Chief
#3 State Smokies , Primarily The Highways, But Can and Do operate any damn where they want to with in the State
OSBI Generally Called in to Help with any Major Crime that the doods above dont have the Stuff to handle .
And Yes Usually they are ALL Cross deputised

yermom
4/3/2008, 12:45 PM
so who can pull me over for speeding?

what about OUPD?

dolemitesooner
4/3/2008, 12:49 PM

what about OUPD?
I don't know about other countys but here in Clevland County a Clevland County sheriff will not pull you over in city limits unless you are doing something ****ing stupid.

shaun4411
4/3/2008, 01:04 PM

what about OUPD?

if an oupd cop is pulling you over on his turf, and you speed off and he's in hot pursuit of you on asp avenue speeding past the towers, and you turn left on lindsay towards chataqua and you hang a right and try to hide in one of those neighborhoods, the oupd officer will get an erection and chase you because he has some real action. he wont mind if you tell him that your brakes went out.

Civicus_Sooner
4/3/2008, 01:07 PM

what about OUPD?All of them can pull you over. I don't know about OUPD, i thought they were glorified security guards, sort like the sheriff deputies.

olevetonahill
4/3/2008, 01:09 PM

what about OUPD?

All of em
County usually wont tho unless ya **** em off or they are bored .

afs
4/3/2008, 01:17 PM

what about OUPD?

depends on the county. up til the late 90s Garfield County sheriff's didn't do traffic stops - they left that to the OHP.

OUPD - if carrying a gun - is considered law enforcement of the state of oklahoma. i'm sure they have a deal w/ the city of norman. I'll ask one of my troops, her dad is Norman PD.

Civicus_Sooner
4/3/2008, 01:53 PM
Rosco P. Coltrain, Po Po or Sheriff?

Curly Bill
4/3/2008, 01:57 PM
Apparently if your a sheriff you have the ability to drive 90 miles an hour down the highway with their pursuit lights not on and have no ramifications.

I do that, and I'm in no way associated with law enforcement. :D