PDA

View Full Version : 2008 OU Football Spring Game Experience

SoonerKnight
4/3/2008, 02:28 AM
HOLE SNIKES!!!!
Didn't see anyone post this.

http://www.soonersports.com/auctions/promotion.html

2008 OU Football Spring Game Experience
This is your chance to bid on the ultimate Sooner football experience for the 2008 Spring Game on Saturday, April 12. One lucky OU fan and a guest will win the opportunity to put on the headsets with the Oklahoma coaching staff and call a series of plays from the sidelines.

Specify the types of plays you want to run during an offensive possession. The OU coaching staff will then select plays from the Sooner playbook that match your requests.

In addition, your experience will include meeting Coach Stoops, the football staff and members of the team, as well as watching the entire Spring Game from the Sooner bench.
This auction includes:
• Watching the Spring Game from the Sooner bench
• Putting on the headsets with the OU coaching staff to call a play
• Autographs and photos with the team following the game
• Two passes to the Sooner Club pregame tailgate

Official OU Athletics Auction at SoonerSports.com
Bid with confidence. All items and experiences are provided and coordinated by the OU Athletics Department.

The department administers its official auction at SoonerSports.com. Fans register online for a user account for the right to bid on active auctions. A department representative will contact each winner shortly after the conclusion of the auction to answer questions, coordinate meeting times, shipment, etc.

Items offered on the official auction at SoonerSports.com are provided by the OU Athletics Department and accompanied by a notarized certificate of authenticity. Each item is tracked with a unique auction code and verified via the master auction list within the department.

NCAA Rules
Due to NCAA Rules, prospect-aged athletes (grades 9-12) are not eligible to participate as a bidder, an auction item winner or guest of the auction item winner.

SoonerKnight
4/3/2008, 02:31 AM
You guys and you know who you are can now tell Coach Stoops and Venerables in person what ya think!

;)

:D

then you can be :cool:!

OU-HSV
4/12/2008, 08:03 AM
To update this thread here's the winner:
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041108aad.html

Lifelong Sooner Fan to Live Dream
Fan wins opportunity to call plays at OU's 2008 Spring Game Saturday.

NORMAN, Okla. -- Shae Farmer hadn't planned on being in Oklahoma this weekend, much less on the Sooner sideline. Then his wife Kimberly bought a couple Sooner t-shirts online and the weekend plans changed.

Kimberly signed up for email notices through the official OU Athletics web site, SoonerSports.com, and one of those Boomerblasts made mention of an auction; an auction to watch the spring game from the team bench area and an opportunity to jump on the head sets and call a series of plays with the offensive coaches.

The couple decided to bid.

"Wouldn't it be crazy if we were spending the weekend in Oklahoma," Kimberly mused.

Crazy indeed for a couple from Carrollton, Ga., and especially crazy for two people that had never before been to the state of Oklahoma or an OU football game.

Shae, who co-owns with his father an electrical company, has been a lifelong Oklahoma fan thanks to family lineage that includes four generations of Sooner supporters.

It all started when Shae's great-grandfather, John, from Muldrow, Okla., married a Georgia girl. His son, Johnny, then held the interest in OU and handed it down to his son, Doyle.

Doyle carried the torch to his son, Shae, and another rabid Sooner fan was christened.

"I started following (OU) as a kid and stayed interested all the way through," said Shae, who is 35. "My grandfather's house was filled with OU stuff and I have been a fan since I was old enough to watch college football."

With that rabid interest, Farmer set about bidding on an opportunity to spend Saturday with his favorite team. When he realized he had entered the winning bid at $2,900, he phoned his wife and said, "You need to be getting ready to go to Oklahoma."

Farmer learned he had posted the winning bid on Wednesday so there was little time to make flight plans or secure a baby-sitter for the couple's two-year-old daughter. A sitter was located, but air travel was scraped in favor of driving the 12-hour trip.

A fan from afar, Farmer can't remember the last OU game he missed on television. "We always find a way to see the games, no matter what," he said.

But Farmer has never seen the Sooners in person or been to the state that houses his favorite team.

"When we crossed the state line (Friday), I said, `I've finally made it to Oklahoma!,'" Farmer said.

Now that he's here, he'll get the royal treatment, including a tour of all the football facilities and a private meeting with Sooner head coach Bob Stoops.

"I don't know what I'll say to him," Farmer said. "I'll probably just tell him how much I appreciate what he has done for OU."

As for the play-calling, Farmer is a bit more prepared.

"I talked about it with my buddies and they all told me just to get into the flow of the game," Farmer said. "I know everyone is expecting something crazy, but I'll actually try to make an educated call.

"Then again, you kind of feel like you have to go for it with a fly pattern or something like that. You can't run a fullback dive unless we're on the goal line."

The entire scenario could not be much more storybook. A lifelong Sooner fan from halfway across the country is coming to see his favorite team in person for the very first time. He will do so after shaking hands with a legendary head coach and while standing among the team members in the bench area. Then he'll slip on a headset and call plays.

"It's a dream come true," Farmer said. "I still can't believe it happened."

oupride
4/12/2008, 09:30 AM
This is a GREAT story! Thanks for posting the update!

SOONERxWife73
4/12/2008, 12:20 PM
hope they are given the full crmson carpet treatment. sounds like a very deserving couple. enjoy!!