PDA

View Full Version : So much for a month off!

SoonerStormchaser
4/2/2008, 05:08 PM
So I finally reported into the 552nd yesterday. About 5 minutes into my in-processing paperwork, I get a call to go upstairs to meet my new flight commander. I walk in, introduce myself, and he asks me "I know you weren't supposed to start til May 5th, but can you start next Monday?" I was thinking this was an April Fool's joke...but it wasn't. "I guess so sir."

So I guess I start AWACing on Monday...unpacking will have to wait. I feel bad for the ABM's in the back, they're sitting up here on casual for up to a YEAR before they get to go through IQT and MQT. I'll probably be mission qualified by the time I put on O-2 at the end of September...most of them will be lucky to be halfway to O-3 before they get mission qualified.

fadada1
4/2/2008, 05:12 PM
you should know better than to think you'd get a month off - even in the air force;)

best of luck to you.

olevetonahill
4/2/2008, 05:28 PM
Take 10 expect 5 , get 2 !
Ya dumass ya shoulda Knowed better than to report in early :rolleyes:

Okla-homey
4/2/2008, 05:32 PM
Thus it begins.

Drop your c_ck and pull up your sox! You ain't in ATC no more. Oh, and don't plan anything for the next ten years or so. It just leads to frustration when your plans are thwarted.

That said, I'm proud you didn't stomp on your johnson by trying to beg off starting MQT immediately. There may be hope for you afterall.

For the record, the proper response was, Problem with starting Monday? Heck no sir, I'd start today if you would let me! I'm rarin' to go!

One more thing, bug the scheduling/training flight guys to get you up as often as possible. You want to get checked out ASAP. Beg for additional sorties. They like that kind of drive in a FNG. srsly.

Then, the minute you're MQ, beg to deploy. That's when you really learn the job anyway.

SoonerStormchaser
4/2/2008, 06:08 PM
I know sir, and I earned MAJOR brownie points with both the flight and squadron CC for going ahead and starting on Monday.

shaun4411
4/2/2008, 07:29 PM
i really considered going into the air force. the thought of being an officer sounded cool. but 14 or however many weeks at maxwell is a daunting task for a fattie. =( just cause it takes me longer to run a couple miles doesnt mean i cant be mobilized.

Mjcpr
4/2/2008, 07:41 PM
They probably thought you were a lot older and were hoping to rush you through everything before you retire/succumb.

Or did they not meet the missus?

:D

(Congrats, BTW!)

SoonerStormchaser
4/2/2008, 08:59 PM
Oh that's sooooo wrong!

Btw...my flight CC looks like that bellboy from the Psycho scene in "High Anxiety." Here's your newspaper...happy now...happy?!?!?!?!?

C&CDean
4/2/2008, 09:16 PM
Let's just all agree that the Air Force ain't very hard.

If I ever had a CO "ask" me to do anything during my military years I'd have **** my britches.

This whole Air Force deal sounds more like a real job than the military.

SoonerStormchaser
4/2/2008, 09:16 PM
Silly airborne dude!

GottaHavePride
4/2/2008, 09:52 PM
Heh. I knew a staff sergeant at Tinker that talked about how great AWACS duty was. Said he'd be sitting in a plane over Afghanistan writing a paper for a class on his laptop drawing combat-zone pay the whole time.

Okla-homey
4/3/2008, 06:03 AM
Heh. I knew a staff sergeant at Tinker that talked about how great AWACS duty was. Said he'd be sitting in a plane over Afghanistan writing a paper for a class on his laptop drawing combat-zone pay the whole time.

I should think it would be mind-numbingly dull...boring holes in the sky. I don't even understand why they need a nav on board since the advent of GPS. I guess they're good for picking the FLIP, signing-out the classified and giving neck massages to the pilots on those long missions.;)

SoonerStormchaser
4/3/2008, 07:26 AM
They don't really...they could yank me off the plane tomorrow, and no one would REALLY miss me. The reason both AWACS and JSTARS still even have Navs are cause they're HVAA (high-valued air assets)...and with HVAA, you had better be where you say you're gonna be, or else.

Okla-homey
4/3/2008, 07:33 AM
They don't really...they could yank me off the plane tomorrow, and no one would REALLY miss me. The reason both AWACS and JSTARS still even have Navs are cause they're HVAA (high-valued air assets)...and with HVAA, you had better be where you say you're gonna be, or else.

a single B-2 costs more than five E-3's and it doesn't have a nav. Ditto Air Force One.

just sayin'

fadada1
4/3/2008, 08:01 AM
my dad was a communications officer (air force) from 67-71. was stationed at tinker, but would do "bear base" up near ponca city. this was early in the satallite communications era... he said it couldn't have been more boring. didn't take too long to set up, then 3 days of sitting around.

sounds like "punching holes in the sky" would be slightly more inviting.

Okla-homey
4/3/2008, 08:16 AM
my dad was a communications officer (air force) from 67-71. was stationed at tinker, but would do "bear base" up near ponca city. this was early in the satallite communications era... he said it couldn't have been more boring. didn't take too long to set up, then 3 days of sitting around.

sounds like "punching holes in the sky" would be slightly more inviting.

actually, he would do "bare base" at Ponca. Not bear base. "Bear base" is in Alaska. :D

SoonerTerry
4/3/2008, 09:00 AM
. "I guess so sir."

Talk like that would have got my face kicked in the army...

SoonerStormchaser
4/3/2008, 01:34 PM
a single B-2 costs more than five E-3's and it doesn't have a nav. Ditto Air Force One.

just sayin'

Actually, all the E-4's and AF1's do have Nav's.