PDA

View Full Version : Pretty important news on the doctor shortage front

Okla-homey
4/2/2008, 07:05 AM
Ardent Health Corp (who owns Hillcrest Medical Center in Tulsa) has effectively flipped off a big "booger" formerly stuck on its finger by agreeing to sell the "OSU Medical Center" to the state for about $5M. They paid $140M a few years ago, but it consistently loses money and Ardent wanted out. period.

The Oklahoma taxpayers will now "own" OSU-MC. It will be managed by a not-for-profit public trust created for the purpose.

Now, the joint will continue to lose money, thus your tax dollars will be required to help keep the doors open. See, it's in the 'hood and hardly anyone with insurance would set foot in the place. Besides, med students in orange scrub suits hardly inspire confidence.;)

However, the good news is, the place will remain functioning as a place where DO's are made and can perform their residencies if they can't get a more prestigious residency somewhere nice.

Bottomline: Good news for rural Okies because stats show the majority of OSU DO's remain in Oklahoma and often practice in small, out of the way places that otherwise wouldn't have any docs at all.

Now, if we could just figger out a way to make more RN's. That crisis is worse than OUr doc shortage.

That is all.

IowaSooner26
4/2/2008, 07:18 AM
You would think that would apply more to the veteranary side of things, what with the amount of sheep that pass through.

bri
4/2/2008, 08:40 AM
Ardent was wise to jettison that dump. Beyond being the #1 destination for assorted stab wounds and meth lab explosion burns eminating from the west side, that place is just downright creepy and depressing to be in. The psych ward gave me nightmares for a week. :eek:

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/2/2008, 09:11 AM
Were they mean to you while you were there for treatment? Were you in restraints? Did they take away your innerwebs?

:kelvin:

bri
4/2/2008, 09:12 AM
I knew someone would swing at that hanging curve I dangled over the plate. :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/2/2008, 09:14 AM
Sorry. I've been playing too much Pinch Hitter.

:les: DAMN YOU ARCADE!!!

*shakes fist*

bri
4/2/2008, 09:20 AM
Blaming video games for antisocial behavior is almost as weaksauce as self-censoring in texts.

:D

NormanPride
4/2/2008, 10:54 AM
Nobody wants to be a RN because the pay isn't great, and it's about the worst job I can think of. Honorable, of course, but you couldn't pay me enough to do the stuff they do. God bless 'em.

bri
4/2/2008, 11:05 AM
If the internets have taught me anything, it's that you can easily find and pay someone to do what RNs do. I just wouldn't recommend it. :eek:

TUSooner
4/2/2008, 02:50 PM
Ardent Health Corp (who owns Hillcrest Medical Center in Tulsa) has effectively flipped off a big "booger" formerly stuck on its finger by agreeing to sell the "OSU Medical Center" to the state for about $5M.
I bet that's exactly how they phrase it in their Annual Report. :D

yer killin me!! :D :D

Okla-homey
4/2/2008, 04:28 PM
Nobody wants to be a RN because the pay isn't great, and it's about the worst job I can think of. Honorable, of course, but you couldn't pay me enough to do the stuff they do. God bless 'em.

I'll say this again, I know of hardly any other gig in which a person can earn a two-year degree*, pass the state licensing test, earn around $50K off the bat and get their school debt paid for all in one fell swoop. Not to mention superb job security. As an aside, I know quite a few nurses in this community who have been at it a while who make $90K+. In fact, I sleep with one. ;)

Moreover, salaries will only increase as boomers age and the RN's currently practicing (median age 47) continue to retire over the next 15 years. Bottomline: you can't run a hospital without RN's. Without nurses, they'd just be big doctors offices.

Only downside is nurses have to be able to deal with puke, poop, pee, blood and/or phlegm without retching. I'm told that is a skill one can acquire with proper conditioning.:D

*starting pay is the same for AD and BSN grads.

just sayin'

bri
4/2/2008, 05:55 PM
As an aside, I know quite a few nurses in this community who have been at it a while who make $90K+. In fact, I sleep with one. ;)

Two jokes; take your pick:

1) Does Mrs. Homey know?

2) Now I ain't sayin' Homey's a gold digger, but he ain't messin' with no broke...broke...

:D

SicEmBaylor
4/2/2008, 06:00 PM
Ardent Health Corp (who owns Hillcrest Medical Center in Tulsa) has effectively flipped off a big "booger" formerly stuck on its finger by agreeing to sell the "OSU Medical Center" to the state for about $5M. They paid $140M a few years ago, but it consistently loses money and Ardent wanted out. period.

The Oklahoma taxpayers will now "own" OSU-MC. It will be managed by a not-for-profit public trust created for the purpose.

Now, the joint will continue to lose money, thus your tax dollars will be required to help keep the doors open. See, it's in the 'hood and hardly anyone with insurance would set foot in the place. Besides, med students in orange scrub suits hardly inspire confidence.;)

However, the good news is, the place will remain functioning as a place where DO's are made and can perform their residencies if they can't get a more prestigious residency somewhere nice.

Bottomline: Good news for rural Okies because stats show the majority of OSU DO's remain in Oklahoma and often practice in small, out of the way places that otherwise wouldn't have any docs at all.

Now, if we could just figger out a way to make more RN's. That crisis is worse than OUr doc shortage.

That is all.

My dad is one of those OSU medical graduates who practices in a small town that otherwise wouldn't have a doctor. He did his residency in Tampa, FL though.

At any rate, that hospital was great back in the day when it was Tulsa Regional. They used to have one of the best orthopedic surgeons in the state there. I broke my femur completely in half when I was 5 years old, and most doctors told my parents that I'd probably walk with a limp for the rest of my life. The head orthopedic surgeon there did an amazing job and to this day I don't have a limp or any other residual side effect from the injury except for an occasional ache when the weather changes or it's cold.

The last time I was there was to have this growth surgically removed from my eye which was about 12-15 years ago. I don't know how great the hospital is these days.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/2/2008, 06:16 PM
At any rate, that hospital was great back in the day when it was Tulsa Regional.

How long ago was "back in the day"?

As long as I've been in the Tulsey Town metroplex, TRMC has been a sh*thole.

SicEmBaylor
4/2/2008, 06:39 PM
How long ago was "back in the day"?

As long as I've been in the Tulsey Town metroplex, TRMC has been a sh*thole.

I beg to differ. It was about '87 since I was last there, but nonetheless...

I loved TRMC. I also like St. John's.

shaun4411
4/2/2008, 07:23 PM
start offering models money to go to school and become nurses.