PDA

View Full Version : LoSuR High Water Mark....

soonerboy_odanorth
4/2/2008, 02:06 AM
You could on a couple hands make a case for the mid-40's or mid-60's, when OU was at times struggling, and the Aggies had stars like Bob Fenimore re-pra-zen-tin... YO!... as being the high water mark of that particular program.

But I think, instead it must actually be the mid-late 80's. From Jimmie Johnson, Rusty Hilger, Thurman Thomas, Leslie O'Neil, Pat Jones, and of course, Barry Sanders... the Aggies fielded some very good teams. And more importantly, for a very brief time, they quit being the little orange-headed step brother with a losing attitude and a whole bunch of penis-envy. They became... AGGIE. They even went through a period of white sweatshirts and hoodies that proclamed in orange and black "A & M" and "AGGIES". They WERE who we THOUGHT they were. And if you wanted to crown their *** sheep huggers, THEN CROWN THEIR ***! Really, it was refreshing. They didn't make excuses, they didn't deny their aggie-ness, they didn't claim to be "on the rise". They just were oSu.

And now... their act has grown tired. And they truly have sunk to sheer stupidity. They deluded themselves with the mid-90's, that that era would last, and that they had arrived, and that this time was soley theirs... and that we were not only gone, but gleefully, forgotten.

Oops.

In other news, water is wet.

KantoSooner
4/2/2008, 03:15 AM
Hard.
But fair.

Jacie
4/2/2008, 06:39 AM
Not so strange really, that in typical aggie-like fashion, what you cite as their highwater mark era, the Jones-Johnson years, they were unable to engineer a win over their biggest rival. The pre-Jones boys beat the Sooners in 1976 when they had Terry Miller running for Heisman-like yardage but 19 years would pass before they celebrated another win over Oklahoma (unless you accept that they count the 1992 15-all tie by the "best 5-4-2 team in the country" as a win).

KingBarry
4/2/2008, 07:29 AM
You are a little off. Jimmy Johnson left them after I believe the 1983 season, so he wasn't there for any of the mid-80s or later success. I can't remember how they did in the JJ years (I remember we beat them a couple of times) but I don't think they were great.

You are right that their best times were in the 80s under Pat Jones.

He had, if I remember right (and I don't care enough to research it) TWO 10-2 seasons, became bowl-game regulars, AND won a well-deserved Heisman Trophy. In 1984 (if you can believe it) they played US in the last game of the season for the Big 8 title and a trip to Miami. They stood, briefly, on the national stage. I believed they ended that season in the Top 10.

Then in 1988, they again went 10-2 with Barry Sanders and the other two triplets (one of whom they still have). Barry Sanders got his Heisman and All-American honors, the second consecutive All American back after Thurman Thomas. And those two losses came to great Oklahoma and Nebraska teams. No shame in that.

They were in the big time.

The 1940s don't count because all the good football players went to fight, and coaches were left to dredge up what was left from guys still around campus but medically or otherwise unfit for military duty.

Most Pokes, though, would probably put the mid-late 90s into the early 2000s at the top of list, because they managed to beat us.

Says more about them than us.

soonermix
4/2/2008, 09:37 AM
OUr all time record vs the aggies

78 -17 - 7 nuff said

but just for fun the points for(2814) and points against (1026 )
college football datawarehouse (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/big12/oklahoma/opponents.php)

tommieharris91
4/2/2008, 10:17 AM
Next season? 13 wins.

Ohh wait, this is the football board!

toast
4/2/2008, 02:36 PM
Pat Jones said this morning that Gundy is going to have to "step out there and do something spectacular in the next few years and win....8 games." Nice to see their expectations haven't changed.

Sooner-Magic
4/2/2008, 03:29 PM
When you are about the 10th or 11th best team in the Big 12 Eight wins seems spectacular to me :)

picasso
4/2/2008, 03:48 PM
never top what the Lester did. beat OU, Nebbish, aTm and looked like a complete dork in doing so.

Cam
4/2/2008, 07:31 PM
7 wins a year gets you millions in the bank at OSU. Pretty sad really.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/2/2008, 08:52 PM
7 wins a year gets you millions in the bank at OSU. Pretty sad really.
It helps to have friends in high places. Namely one who is the world's biggest donor to collegiate athletics.

stoopified
4/5/2008, 09:06 AM
Just one piece of statistical info tells you all you need to know about oSu football;Pat Jones is the winningest coach in ag history with a 62-60-3 mark.Oddly enough the 60 losses also makes Jones the losingest coach in ag history.

What that tells you;
1) oSu is not very good
2)when oSu is marginally sucessful their coaches jump for better jobs rather than hang around.

Thats all you really need to know,in a nutshell.

Charla
4/5/2008, 04:59 PM
OSUX did manage to beat Tech. last year. If we could of done that we would of been lookin' at #8.

tulsaoilerfan
4/5/2008, 08:34 PM
Just remember though they are a program on the rise

Piware
4/6/2008, 12:07 AM
Just remember though they are a program on the rise

You forgot they are very young and their futures are bright. Yawn!

Jacie
4/9/2008, 06:23 AM
Just one piece of statistical info tells you all you need to know about oSu football;Pat Jones is the winningest coach in ag history with a 62-60-3 mark.Oddly enough the 60 losses also makes Jones the losingest coach in ag history.

What that tells you;
1) oSu is not very good
2)when oSu is marginally sucessful their coaches jump for better jobs rather than hang around.

Thats all you really need to know,in a nutshell.

I bet Gundy doesn't jump anywhere. He might fall to Division III or back to being an assistant somewhere but moving on up ain't in his future. I thought PJ was finished completely after his time as head aggie coach. I don't remember. Did he retire or was he "resigned" by the administration?

4/9/2008, 09:08 AM
I completely agree, Rich. They were an actual football team in the 80s.

That said, it is still fun to watch them struggle. I've become friends with Mike Trepps and he says OSU will NEVER win a national title. The reason?

OU, of course.

MojoRisen
4/9/2008, 09:53 AM
They were an actual football team that darn near got the death penalty...

Although - They were a top 10 team even though Dexter Manley couldn't even read.... with a 3.0 grade point avg and a Business Degree.

SoonerDood
4/9/2008, 12:12 PM
OSUX did manage to beat Tech. last year. If we could of done that we would of been lookin' at #8.

and we were both dropped TD passes away from those results changing.

NormanPride
4/9/2008, 01:49 PM
Tech's star receiver drops a wide open TD as time expires and OSU gets to go bowling. Gundy = genius and deserves a raise!