PDA

View Full Version : Favorite music to listen to on a isolated drive

royalfan5
4/1/2008, 08:49 PM
I end up spending a lot of time driving across isolated areas of the plains by myself. I've found that listening to stuff like the Smashing Pumpkins or non-mainstream country works for me during the day, while Pearl Jam and old country is my favorite during the night. What are the favorites for the rest of you.

C&CDean
4/1/2008, 08:54 PM
It depends on how much Jack I've had to drink.

VeeJay
4/1/2008, 09:10 PM
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark. That is the perfect compliment to a slow, lazy Sunday morning when you just can't take the gospel singing. I plan on taking Joni with me on a drive to Atlanta this weekend.

Other than that, LedZep's "In Through The Out Door," old INXS and Talking Heads, U2's "Rattle and Hum" and maybe even a George Winston CD. Anything to help keep me awake.

JohnnyMack
4/1/2008, 09:12 PM
Don't drive too far, but lately on long flights I've been listening to a Manu Katche album.

He was Sting's drummer on a few albums.

sooneron
4/1/2008, 09:19 PM
If it's dreary out- U2 Unforgettable Fire

JohnnyMack
4/1/2008, 09:20 PM
If it's dreary out- U2 Unforgettable Fire

Know how I know you're gay?

thesnowbishop
4/1/2008, 09:53 PM
Good road songs:

The Police--Deathwish
The Flaming Lips--Spoonful Weighs a Ton
Morphine--I'm Free Now
Booker T. and the MG's--Green Onions
The Bad Livers--Hogs on the Highway
Nina Simone--Backlash Blues
The Texas Tornados--Guacamole
The Band-The Weight

Blue
4/1/2008, 10:38 PM
Sports talk radio passes time for me.

soonerinabilene
4/1/2008, 10:45 PM
Jimmy Eat World and Angels and Airwaves are good to listen to while driving.

OUstud
4/1/2008, 11:00 PM
Truckers Atlas- Modest Mouse

sooneron
4/2/2008, 08:01 AM
Know how I know you're gay?

b/c you're attracted to me?

and that is retarded reasoning, it's a great album. Lemme guess, you think Joshua is still their best. um ok.

sooneron
4/2/2008, 08:07 AM
And for normal circumstances- Radiohead - The Bends.
Road Trip with Buds- Ned's Atomic Dustbin - Are You Normal?

VeeJay
4/2/2008, 08:49 AM
Are You Normal?

Most people tell me I'm not.

proud gonzo
4/2/2008, 08:58 AM
barenaked ladies
weezer
fountains of wayne
gnarls barkley
Tower of Power
ben folds
flight of the conchords
the dan band
Sondre Lerche

usually upbeat stuff or classic rock so i don't fall asleep

Hot Rod
4/2/2008, 09:04 AM
Comedy CDs and Roy D makes the time go by fast for me.

Curly Bill
4/2/2008, 09:18 AM
Something about old skool country that fits well with isolated drives for me.

also like some of the folksy alt-country stuff like: Kathleen Edwards, Kasey Chambers, etc...

edit...per the original post: Pearl Jam is always teh awesome.

SoonerInKCMO
4/2/2008, 09:20 AM
Whatever's on Sirius 23 - Hair Nation.

texas bandman
4/2/2008, 10:22 AM
I've got a 180 mile trip through the middle of nowhere today and I'll listen to XM Flight 26. It's my fave. :)

r5TPsooner
4/2/2008, 10:57 AM
For me it depends on the phase of the trip as well as the duration of the drive. Usually, I'll start out with some smooth jazz, say Fourplay or some "real" jazz, say John Coltrane or Thelonious Monk. Then I'll put on some blues, something good like Muddy Waters. His "At Newport" or "The Anthology" are what I took on my last road trip which was just last month.

I'll then listen to some moderate rock n roll like Journey. Then it's on to some harder stuff like Motley Crue, Bullet Boys, Van Hagar, Motorhead and Def Leppard just to name a few. I'll always throw in some older stuff too, like Skynnard, CCR, Hendrix, and Cream just to name a few. Doing this reminds me where "real" music came from.

I'll even test the country music waters but it has to be older stuff like Waylon, Elvis, Millsap, Hank, Jr. or Johnnie Cash. No trip is complete w/o some Johnny Cash! Especially songs like Jackson, ROF, and Hurt.

Then I'll turn on XM and listen to some political talk just to spice things up. I never want to listen to anything on the soft side at the end of a drive as it tends to relax me and want to pull off the road and take a nap. That's when the Copenhagen Black comes in. I only use it on long trips and on the golf course.

That's how I usually roadtrip.

garland sooner
4/2/2008, 06:08 PM
When ever I drive from Norman to Dallas or vice versa, I gotta listen to some upbeat music like Anberlin, Muse, and Ratatat.

Jimminy Crimson
4/2/2008, 06:30 PM
Shooter Jennings is great for driving.

Cam
4/2/2008, 07:20 PM
Rusted Root's first album is pretty good for driving.

Classical music as a whole isn't bad to drive to either for some odd reason. Never had listened to it at other times.

shaun4411
4/2/2008, 07:25 PM
talk radio baby.

silverwheels
4/2/2008, 08:13 PM
The Decemberists
Explosions in the Sky
Do Make Say Think
Sufjan Stevens

Upbeat music is for short trips like to work or the bar or whatever. If I'm going on a trip that's going to last 30 minutes or more, I need some epic music.

soonerhubs
4/2/2008, 08:42 PM
IMHO, The best road trip albums are Johnny Cash Live at San Quentin and Live at Folsom Prison.