PDA

View Full Version : My puppy...

Sooner_Havok
3/31/2008, 05:34 PM
is going to have to be put down tomorrow. He is almost 16 years old, is blind, and deaf. This morning he started falling down while trying to walk, and I decided that it is probably best that he not have to suffer anymore. I have to stop thinking about what is easy for me, and start thinking about what is best for him.

Despite that, I am still pretty upset at the thought of having him put down, but he isn't enjoying life, he is suffering so much, and he isn't a shadow of the dog he was.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/havok0283/cooter.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/31/2008, 05:46 PM
:(

Turd_Ferguson
3/31/2008, 05:46 PM
:(...sorry.

85Sooner
3/31/2008, 05:47 PM
So Sorry to hear that. He was lucky to have you and you werew lucky to have him. What great memories you share together.

Soonrboy
3/31/2008, 05:48 PM
tough call...sounds like you are doing the right thing though..

Sooner_Havok
3/31/2008, 05:53 PM
tough call...sounds like you are doing the right thing though..

I hope so, cause it sure doesn't feel right

colleyvillesooner
3/31/2008, 06:03 PM

walkoffsooner
3/31/2008, 06:15 PM

OUHOMER
3/31/2008, 06:16 PM
been there, done that. One of the hardest things in the world to do.

BudSooner
3/31/2008, 06:17 PM
Your doing the right thing, he is lucky to have someone like you who cared for him so much...sorry to hear that.

SoonerBOI
3/31/2008, 06:19 PM
:( :( :(

Sooner_Havok
3/31/2008, 06:26 PM
Thanks guys. I just realized that he will be put down on April Fool's day. Kind of fitting for the dog he was back in the day :D

arizonasooner
3/31/2008, 06:45 PM
I always liked to think that this is what happens to our beloved pets when we must tell them goodbye... Sorry for your loss...

-------------------------------------------------------

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... "

Author unknown...

olevetonahill
3/31/2008, 07:13 PM
The Last Pup I had to have put Down.
I held him as the Vet gave him the shot. I cried

AlbqSooner
3/31/2008, 07:26 PM
I have been there. Just remember, one of the most painful things we ever do is to put a pet down when it is time. One of the most loving things we ever do is put a pet down when it is time. You will always remember him and he will wait for you at Rainbow Bridge.

M
3/31/2008, 08:47 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that. :(

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/31/2008, 08:58 PM
Sorry to hear that. They are part of the family for sure.

Kimberlyz4OU
3/31/2008, 08:59 PM
My baby girl has been gone almost a year - April 20th. I still can't read the rainbow bridge poem all the way through.

Just think of the good times.

bluedogok
3/31/2008, 09:38 PM
Sorry to hear it, too many of us have been there in the past few months. It is hard to do, but when you know it is time, it is time. I still think about mine pretty much everyday.

stoopified
3/31/2008, 09:38 PM
I feel your pain.

OKC-SLC
3/31/2008, 09:44 PM
I'm sorry, Havok.

Sooner_Havok
3/31/2008, 09:51 PM
Hard to believe a little dog can evoke such big emotions in a person who normally doesn't display any what so ever

olevetonahill
3/31/2008, 10:54 PM
Within an Hour Of Bear Dogs Death there was 14 Folks Here to Help me Bury Him and Give a 21 gun Salute

Sooner_Havok
3/31/2008, 10:58 PM
Well, my old boy is getting cremated. I don't got nowhere to put him besides my shelf. You're all going to laugh, but his name was Cooter. They guy my parents bought him from was either a weirdo, or a huge Dukes of Hazard fan.

Cooter Finger
3/31/2008, 11:10 PM
Sorry Havok. :(

olevetonahill
3/31/2008, 11:16 PM
I have been there. Just remember, one of the most painful things we ever do is to put a pet down when it is time. One of the most loving things we ever do is put a pet down when it is time. You will always remember him and he will wait for you at Rainbow Bridge.

If Its a Great thing for Our Pets ?
Why aint It good For Us Old shats ?

Boomer.....
4/1/2008, 07:31 AM
So sorry to hear that. :(

TheHumanAlphabet
4/1/2008, 08:41 AM

Same thing here for our cat. Extremely sad, but she was ready to go.

Sorry for your loss.

Curly Bill
4/1/2008, 08:59 AM

Same here and only about two months ago. I am glad I did it though: there for him the entire time, as he always was for me.

Best wishes and God Bless, Havok

Curly Bill
4/1/2008, 09:00 AM
Well, my old boy is getting cremated. I don't got nowhere to put him besides my shelf.

I did the same. Glad I did.

captain_surly
4/1/2008, 10:29 AM
I asssume the deed is done by now and you really feel like crap. What you did took courage, it would have been wrong to let him continue to suffer. Once they can't walk there is no quality of life left, you can't hold them in your lap and pet them forever.

You gave him a good life, extraordinary in fact. Almost 16 years of being loved is unfortunately more than almost any dog can expect.

Give yourself time to grieve and then go find one whose prospects aren't so good and see if you can do it again. I promise you'll be rewarded for it.

Ike
4/1/2008, 10:34 AM
Sorry to hear that Havok.

soonermix
4/1/2008, 11:19 AM

BigRedJed
4/1/2008, 11:22 AM
Been through it myself, Havok. It's the right thing to do. Doesn't make it any easier.

OUDoc
4/1/2008, 11:25 AM

Sooner_Havok
4/1/2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah, this morning was rough, but he couldn't even keep his little head still. I really think he did have a stroke. Actually now that it is over, I feel a lot better. I can talk about it some without tears coming to my eyes. It was hard to let him go this morning, but at least he isn't hurting anymore.

Thanks for the support guys, it helped more than you know

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/1/2008, 08:49 PM
you're in my prayers.

4/1/2008, 09:29 PM
I am very sorry for you at this time. It hurts badly to lose a good dog. AND, though I say so in (mostly) jest, it probably hurts badly to lose a good cat too.

I will say this... you get over losing a good animal quicker than losing a good relative or friend. You probably never entirely get over either, but know that you've done right.

Hell, there isn't much you can say about it.

It is difficult.

Tailwind
4/1/2008, 10:13 PM
So sorry Havok, that had to be hard. I still miss my good dog Sera, and it's at least 12 years ago she passed. Bless you and him.

85Sooner
4/1/2008, 10:19 PM
Yeah, this morning was rough, but he couldn't even keep his little head still. I really think he did have a stroke. Actually now that it is over, I feel a lot better. I can talk about it some without tears coming to my eyes. It was hard to let him go this morning, but at least he isn't hurting anymore.

Thanks for the support guys, it helped more than you know

Now what do I do about my tears. I am so sorry, but he is running free and waiting for you. My heart seriously goes out to you.