PDA

View Full Version : Died today - still dead

texas bandman
3/31/2008, 02:13 PM
Selena Quintanilla-Pérez (April 16, 1971 – March 31, 1995), best known as Selena, was an iconic Mexican American singer who has been called "the queen of Tejano music".

Jimminy Crimson
3/31/2008, 03:49 PM
If it weren't for that damn fan club president who killed her, the world would be a better place for not knowing J-Lo as well.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/31/2008, 05:05 PM
I never even heard of her until I was driving on SW 29th and Shields a week or so after her death.

Someone had shoe polished "Viva Selena!" on their windshield.

King Crimson
3/31/2008, 05:20 PM
you people are so harsh. whitey didn't invent music.

sex wasn't *actually* invented in the late's 70's by american advertising firms.

bluedogok
3/31/2008, 10:11 PM
I saw her statue last weekend as we were driving by it on Ocean Drive in Corpus....at least my wife told me that is what it was.

proud gonzo
3/31/2008, 11:59 PM
Maybe a year or so after she died, I started junior high at a school where white people were a minority... so were people who didn't have a closet full of airbrushed Selena shirts.

King Crimson
4/1/2008, 12:14 AM
Maybe a year or so after she died, I started junior high at a school where white people were a minority... so were people who didn't have a closet full of airbrushed Selena shirts.

so, what's the point? airbrushed t-shirts are cheesy in your aesthetic opinion?

proud gonzo
4/1/2008, 12:29 AM
i was just contrasting that to the people who'd never heard of her.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/1/2008, 12:35 AM
yes they are cheezy...

I ll say this about J Lo...she is as good a singer as she is an actress

rufnek05
4/1/2008, 12:37 AM
If it weren't for that damn fan club president who killed her, the world would be a better place for not knowing J-Lo as well.

ouch

but very true.

Blue
4/1/2008, 12:55 AM
so...?

Dio
4/1/2008, 07:08 AM
Anything for Selenas

OUDoc
4/1/2008, 08:03 AM
I never heard of her until she died either.

LoyalFan
4/2/2008, 05:40 AM
J-Lo was the right cherce for the role. She and Selena shared one feature that trumped all the others; La Cula Enormosa! (See: HUGE A55)
I live in San Antonio and when Miss S. was offed you'da thunk the world had ended or, at the very least, all the WalMarts were being closed.
For all that, Selena WAS a good girl and a hard worker. She tried hard to set a good example for young'uns of all races.
That fat little idiot that killed her should have been executed, and rather messily at that, in IMHO. I and some others agree that the shooter honestly believed she'd somehow walk and become a folk hero of a sort in her own right. After all, she killed Selena 'cause she loved her soooooo much...right? and was addled by the threat of being banished from teh paradise.
I wasn't a fan of Selena's music but I did enough observing and listening to know that she was a positive influence. She never sang the praises of drugs, crime, cop-killing, racism, putting-on-airs, or disrespect for God, Mom, The Flag, or Apple Pie.
In a way I miss her too.
And dat's dat!

LF

85Sooner
4/2/2008, 11:16 AM
Ironic that J Lo got her break playing the role of Selena, A self made star who helped in many causes ie: children with AIDS and worked to help battered women etc..... She should be an inspiration to young women. Oh and J Lo just is ....well..... a cluster f*ck.