PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding high speed innerweb.

goingoneight
3/31/2008, 01:31 AM
So I'm looking over the different stuff on Cox HSI and I don't really know what's good.

For me... all I ever do is surf the web and watch a few videos on YouTube every now and then... and once in a blue moon I download something on iTunes. Is this something I can get their economy package and be satisfied with at 768kbps down / 256kbps up? The numbers mean nothign to me because I don't really understand them, and explaining them to me is probably going to give you a headache, FWIW.

I don't do online gaming, just surfing, research and a music download every now and then.

TIA!

Sooner_Havok
3/31/2008, 01:34 AM
Do you use a wireless connection?

SoonerKnight
3/31/2008, 01:38 AM
Yes, you would be fine with the economy package. As for the numbers th download speed is all you will probably need to worry about. As for what they mean a file is a cetain size. Those numbers represent the rate at which the file is downloaded. The bigger the file the longer it takes. Plus those are just average numbers so it could be slower.

Another way to think of it is the economy package is like a geo metro. The higher package is like having a Porshe. Both will get you there one faster than the other. :D

Sooner_Havok
3/31/2008, 01:43 AM
That is why I asked about the wireless, the fastest you are going to get on a wireless signal is around 100 Mbit/s on a very good day.

SoonerKnight
3/31/2008, 01:47 AM
I thought they were touting wireless as being as good as wired? Plus, does Cox even sell wirless internet? AT&T has a decent globalk wireless internet service. Plus, those numbers sound like DSL numbers which suck!

Sooner_Havok
3/31/2008, 01:55 AM
I thought they were touting wireless as being as good as wired? Plus, does Cox even sell wirless internet? AT&T has a decent globalk wireless internet service. Plus, those numbers sound like DSL numbers which suck!

I think you can rent a wireless modem from cox for an extra fee. I have an old G router, so that is what I am using. And yeah, going through wireless as opposed to wired sux. That I why I asked if he had plans on using a wireless router, because if he did, there is no sense in getting the premium package, you aren't going to get that speed over a wireless network anyways.

I had to show that to my folks. They were getting the highest package but all their computers use the wireless. They wanted the fastest internet they could get (their work has a T-3 and they want their home computers to load pages as quickly.) I told them that the wireless was acting as a bottleneck, and that the extra bandwidth they were paying for was being wasted.

goingoneight
3/31/2008, 01:55 AM
I am trying my best to maintain a decent innerweb connection speed. See, I'm moving to a new APT, and currently we're paying for his gaming internet which kinda gets us both by... me the surfer, him the gamer. Going to the economy package... that's not going to be like... 56K bad, is it? Because that would suck.

BudSooner
3/31/2008, 07:36 AM
Cox has no wireless modems. Routers yes, but not modems.

And Cox HSI is plenty fast but unless your into gaming in a big way then preferred is fine, most of what I do just doesn't make the Premier HSI worth it.

Mjcpr
3/31/2008, 08:37 AM
Cox has no wireless modems. Routers yes, but not modems.

And Cox HSI is plenty fast but unless your into gaming in a big way then preferred is fine, most of what I do just doesn't make the Premier HSI worth it.

I've had the same Cox HSI modem for several years now. Last year, we bought a relatively inexpensive wireless router, hooked it up and everything works fine so you don't need any special modem or a router from Cox (or AT&T or whoever) to have wireless internet.

BudSooner
3/31/2008, 09:07 AM
I've had the same Cox HSI modem for several years now. Last year, we bought a relatively inexpensive wireless router, hooked it up and everything works fine so you don't need any special modem or a router from Cox (or AT&T or whoever) to have wireless internet.

I had the option to do that, but i've got my router i've had for a few years and saw no need to spend money on another wireless device.
So far, i've not had any problems with my HSI...it's been flawless.

goingoneight
3/31/2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the help on everything folks... I took a lot of this info into the Cox store today and they helped me pick out some stuff that suits just a web-surfer like me.

Sooner_Havok
3/31/2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the help on everything folks... I took a lot of this info into the Cox store today and they helped me pick out some stuff that suits just a web-surfer like me.

So I guess this means you won't be taking a leave of absence from the SO? Damn, and I had my village idiot papers all filled out and ready to go to replace you :(

:D :D

yermom
3/31/2008, 11:26 PM
That is why I asked about the wireless, the fastest you are going to get on a wireless signal is around 100 Mbit/s on a very good day.

100Mbit/s is roughly 2x what most routers do (g is 54Mbit/s) and WAY faster than a residential high speed connection, the economy package he mentioned is 768kbits/s which isn't even 1Mbit/s

i can't really notice a difference between wired and wireless surfing, the main difference is traffic on my internal network

but generally 768kbits/s is plenty for surfing. YouTube might be a little slow at times. it's still waaaay better than dialup