PDA

View Full Version : Los Palomas

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/29/2008, 07:32 PM
I think it was Jed who suggested this place in a Mexican food thread not too long ago. I went there tonight.

Awe. Some.

It ranks right up there with Tarahumara's for me.

C&CDean
3/30/2008, 10:44 AM
"palomas" is feminine, therefore it would be "las palomas." The dove.

Glad you liked it. I ate at Tarahumara's yesterday and it was very, very good.

King Crimson
3/30/2008, 10:52 AM
I ate at my buddies Lisandro and Abraham's the last night, they made tilapia flautas with a dark red chile salsa (really hot) and shredded pork tacos (soft white corn tortillas) with pico and ****-ton of cilantro and lime juice. a few Pacifico's. good times. really great food is such a great thing.

yeah, i'm braggin a little bit. :D

on topic, i look forward to try Las Palomas next time i'm in the OKC area (if it's still around)....don't take much effort to get my family up to try a new mexican place.

Viking Kitten
3/30/2008, 10:54 AM
"palomas" is feminine, therefore it would be "las palomas." The dove.

The doves. Las is plural.

Viking Kitten
3/30/2008, 11:00 AM
*awaits yellow card*

BigRedJed
3/30/2008, 11:16 AM
It is "Las," and it will be around. It's been here for a number of years. Not a new place by any stretch, but a well-kept secret. The owner, Miguel, is from Monterrey, Mexico. His former partner in the place owned a restaurant by the same name in Monterrey for many years, a joint somewhat legendary in those parts, apparently.

The Las Palomas here is modeled after the one there, down to the interior, which is a bit different than most places you'll go around here.

The way I know how close it is to the Monterrey Las Palomas is not from Miguel (although he is a friend of one of my best friends, and Miguel himself has told me the story of the restaurant). The way I know of the respect people in Monterrey have for the Las Palomas down there is from some officials from Nuevo León (the state in Mexico that's home to Monterrey). I was entertaining them while they were in Oklahoma on business, and knew Miguel was from there, but not the whole back story.

After a week or so here they were growing weary of only American food, but were a bit apprehensive about what type of "Mexican" food they were going to find in OKC. I knew Las Palomas was outstanding, at least as far as my palate was concerned, and had a number of dishes more traditional Mexican rather than Tex-Mex. So I took a chance and took them over there.

After introducing them to Miguel, he all but flipped out (in a good way), and brought plate after plate of stuff that wasn't even on the menu. He sat and talked with those guys for most of the meal. He's lived in the U.S. for more than 30 years, but makes it home to Monterrey to visit famil pretty often, and they had tons to talk about.

Anyway, after we left, the guys from Monterrey told me about the "legendary" status of the Las Palomas down there, and told me the food Miguel brought us was indistinguishable from what they got back home. It became one of the highlights of their trip to Oklahoma, no lie.

Now, don't get me wrong: Miguel understands he is serving primarily Oklahoma patrons, so the menu is heavy with Tex-Mex to stay competitive. But they have a pretty wide variety of stuff that is different than what you might find at someplace like Chelino's or another Tex-Mex place. Plus, if you make friends with Miguel and butter him up, he just might surprise you with something not on the menu.

Turd_Ferguson
3/30/2008, 11:24 AM
Will I get a "surprise" if I tell him BRJ sent me?

BigRedJed
3/30/2008, 11:26 AM
I don't think he posts here, so probably not. :D

BigRedJed
3/30/2008, 11:30 AM
I'll tell you one thing: if you go there you'll most likely be talking about how good the food is instead of "my salsa and velveeta cheese bowls were always refilled, and they have huge portions and stuff. Oh -- and I only had to wait 20 minutes for a table this time!"

Don't get me wrong; the service and portions are plenty great. But the food is actually remarkable, unlike some other popular places around here.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/30/2008, 11:34 AM
Los/las-whatevah. ;)

I was very impressed, plus the Dos XX was very cold.

I had the tacos norteno. I forgot what my partner in crime had, but it was almost like three empanadas with the filling on the outside instead of stuffed on the inside.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/30/2008, 11:36 AM
Oh and if you rate good Mexican food based on super tasty rice and beans, you'll be disappointed. The charro beans are very tasty as are the four or five different types of salsa they have.

BigRedJed
3/30/2008, 11:47 AM
Oh and if you rate good Mexican food based on super tasty rice and beans, you'll be disappointed. The charro beans are very tasty as are the four or five different types of salsa they have.
That makes no sense.

:confused:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/30/2008, 11:56 AM
The refried beans were only so-so, but the charro beans were very good. Is that better? My point is that the rice and refried beans were the only thing I didn't really like but I don't usually eat those anyway.

BigRedJed
3/30/2008, 12:00 PM
Gotcha. Yeah, I have the charro beans too.

*phhhrp*

StoopTroup
3/30/2008, 12:03 PM
How are the Palomas?

yermom
3/30/2008, 01:17 PM
I'll tell you one thing: if you go there you'll most likely be talking about how good the food is instead of "my salsa and velveeta cheese bowls were always refilled, and they have huge portions and stuff. Oh -- and I only had to wait 20 minutes for a table this time!"

Don't get me wrong; the service and portions are plenty great. But the food is actually remarkable, unlike some other popular places around here.

you are still feeling that wet willie aren't you?

where is this place?

BigRedJed
3/30/2008, 01:31 PM
NW 23rd and Meridian. YWIA.

Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=las+palomas+oklahoma+city&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DMUS)

BigRedJed
3/30/2008, 01:33 PM
Oops.

Frozen Sooner
3/30/2008, 01:44 PM
I love authentic Mexican. Nom nom nom.

yermom
4/7/2008, 08:53 AM
NW 23rd and Meridian. YWIA.

Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=las+palomas+oklahoma+city&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DMUS)

i like Ted's and Pepe's better

i wasn't feeling it

BigRedJed
4/7/2008, 09:51 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

yermom
4/7/2008, 10:19 AM
the salsa was good. the mole wasn't anything special and the relleno was meh

i'd go back if i was in the neighborhood. i might try the one in Noble

oh, and they have teh ****ty queso

OUDoc
4/7/2008, 11:14 AM
I love authentic Mexican. Nom nom nom.

He loves you, too.

JimmyJamJman
4/7/2008, 11:56 AM
Def want to check this out. Wanted to yesterday but wife wanted Abuelo's...the wife won. :(

soonerboy_odanorth
4/7/2008, 02:16 PM
Yeah, well I ate at The Guadalupe Cafe just around the corner from the state capitol in old town Santa Fe not even two weeks ago, and it whups anything you guys had. So there. Ha!

(Pssst. I can still feel the burn... at both ends. :D )

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/7/2008, 02:19 PM
I almost went to Las Palomas on Saturday evening. I ended up going to Eddie's for steak and Lebanese horse ovaries.

OUDoc
4/7/2008, 02:33 PM
I ended up going to Eddie's for steak and Lebanese horse ovaries.

Horse or whores?

shaun4411
4/7/2008, 02:45 PM
hoarse?

BudSooner
4/8/2008, 04:54 AM
I'm no good on this subject, seek a higher source of info....I got nuthin.