PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news from Jack Roush

Boarder
3/28/2008, 11:48 AM
On the new COT cars they're really front heavy so Roush has been developing a new sway bar for the front to fix the balance problem. They had come up with this new one that is shaped different and has different ends on it. It's long enough that it won't fit in the tool boxes like the older ones. So, last year, they had one under the box in the pits. Roush was doing an inverntory and found that one of the bars they had was missing. they thought it was misplaced, in a truck, etc. During the offseason a member of a Toyota team that Roush will not name right now came to work for Roush. He said, "I know where that bar is, it's at XXXX's shop." Well, Roush went ballistic of course and wanted to freak out but they decided to be cooler about it. So one of the managers at Roush calls a manager at that team and says, "I think you have one of our bars". The other manager said, "I have no idea, I'll go look." He calls back and tells him, "Yes, we do have it". So they arrange a 6:00am handoff and Roush gets the bar back. Roush paints his bars a certain color and it had been sandblasted to bare, but still had the serial number so they know it's thiers.

Jack wanted to get a court order that says the other team can't use thier bars until you can prove that Roush technology had not been used to make them. He decided he'd let NASCAR take care of it and turned it over to them. He had not said anything to the media but was so mad over what they said at Atlanta over Carl Edwards' oil tank cover he let it slip a little bit. He's angry that NASCAR has not taken any action on it and is still threatening legal action.

So, there's a Toyota team that's got that hanging over thier heads. I can only hope it's not Waltrip's team, I don't think they could handle another huge cheating scandal.

David Pool just broke this on Sirius.

OKLA21FAN
3/28/2008, 11:51 AM
the irony of much of this is that the Cat in the Hat has whined for a little over two years that the 'Toyota dollars' would be stealing away other race team's employees with high salary offers.

Now with this story, it appears that it is Jack himself that is stealing Toyota employees. :pop:

Boarder
3/28/2008, 11:53 AM
It was just a lowly shop worker, apparantly.

Seems to not be Toyota stealing with dollars, just sticky fingers.

dw17
3/28/2008, 11:56 AM
Also, Elliot Sadler is an hour to hour decision with back problems. Dennis Setzer is in the car right now practicing. It's unclear whether or not Elliot will drive this weekend.

He seems to have injured his back in a golf workout this week. :eek:

OKLA21FAN
3/28/2008, 11:57 AM
there have been a few drivers and CC say that this type of thing happens alot. mainly due to the close proximity in the garage and inspection areas. Evernham said earlier this week that they often have to track down missing parts and usually can find them with just a few phone calls to teams the garaged near them.

just as the 99's 'oil gate' infraction that other teams accused was on purpose, I am not sure that Jack can prove this was intentional.

dw17
3/28/2008, 11:59 AM
The fact they sandblasted the paint off is the big indication. Chocolate Myers was talking about how parts, tools, etc can be picked up by mistake but not a brand new style of sway bar that won't fit in the box and is painted an odd color. And one that is later sandblasted. That's the smoking gun on them.

OKLA21FAN
3/28/2008, 12:00 PM
Also, Elliot Sadler is an hour to hour decision with back problems. Dennis Setzer is in the car right now practicing. It's unclear whether or not Elliot will drive this weekend.

He seems to have injured his back in a golf workout this week. :eek:

the 19 will probably run better this week!

I wonder if this 'injury' has anything to do with Sadler spending a few days in the Bahamas over Easter weekend? those surfboard can be tricky!!!!!

OKLA21FAN
3/28/2008, 12:01 PM
The fact they sandblasted the paint off is the big indication. Chocolate Myers was talking about how parts, tools, etc can be picked up by mistake but not a brand new style of sway bar that won't fit in the box and is painted an odd color. And one that is later sandblasted. That's the smoking gun on them.

so why leave the serial number?

dw17
3/28/2008, 12:02 PM
hehe, I sadly thought that. I like Elliot but it's been a hard deal for a while.

Bad thing is that Evernham has been doing a little better and Elliot seemed to be the leading "Dark Horse" candidate to do well.

At least he didn't say he was a SOULJA!

dw17
3/28/2008, 12:03 PM
so why leave the serial number?
They were saying they sandblasted it so they could study it better. I was wondering that, too, why not scratch off the number?

dw17
3/28/2008, 12:05 PM
Another thing is why didn't the Toyota shop manager go throw it in the river when they got caught?

OKLA21FAN
3/28/2008, 12:05 PM
hehe, I sadly thought that. I like Elliot but it's been a hard deal for a while.

Bad thing is that Evernham has been doing a little better and Elliot seemed to be the leading "Dark Horse" candidate to do well.

At least he didn't say he was a SOULJA!

so far the 19's season has almost mirrored last year. i am not sure if it will get much better. if the 9 was running poorly (like last year), one could point the finger at the equipment, but the 9 is at least competitive this year.

OKLA21FAN
3/28/2008, 01:27 PM
Jack is flame throwing. lots of accusations, and I would think this cannot just die now

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=3317510

Roush: Team stole sway bar, inquired about making copies
By David Newton
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: March 28, 2008, 1:53 PM ET

MARTINSVILLE, Va. -- Jack Roush said on Friday that a Toyota team stole a sway bar made specifically for Roush Fenway Racing from one of his Sprint Cup teams last season at Dover.

"A theft did occur," the co-owner of Roush Fenway said during practice at Martinsville Speedway. "The part was recovered. ... We are still considering what if any legal action to seek."

One of the options is having a restraining order taken out to guarantee the team in question does not duplicate the bar, which has been determined legal by NASCAR, for a competitive advantage.

"It's lawyer time," Roush said.

These were Roush's first comments since he was quoted in ESPN The Magazine as saying a proprietary part was found missing from his inventory and discovered with a Toyota team.

Roush did not identify what Toyota team he was accusing of taking the part.

He discounted comments made by Jim Aust, the president of Toyota Racing Development, that a spring was found during a teardown inspection, identified as belonging to Roush and returned.

Roush said the theft occurred in the garage area at Dover in September. He said the sway bars, of which about 12 were built by the team specifically for NASCAR's new car, were bigger than the old bars and unable to fit in the toolbox storage bin.

He said the bar in question was placed under a Roush Fenway toolbox that was backed up against the toolbox of another team.

"The other team, a non-descript Toyota team, went behind the toolbox and took my bar and put it with their bars and took it home," Roush said. "That is a fact."

Roush said he became aware of the theft in early January when the vendor that produced the product for Roush Fenway was contacted by the Toyota team in question about duplicating the bar.

He said his manager then checked inventory and verified that a bar thought to have been misplaced was missing.

Subsequently, Roush said a mechanic hired from the Toyota team verified that he'd seen the bar in a locker at his former shop. Through several inquiries it was determined the bar still was there.

"When I found out I wanted to go supersonic," Roush said.

While considering whether to get a search warrant and search for the bar Roush said one of his managers called the Toyota team and received confirmation that "somebody had stolen the bar."

He said the manager of the Toyota team then found the bar and returned it at an arranged 6 a.m. meeting. Serial numbers confirmed it was the missing piece.

Roush was considering whether to go public with the information when Carl Edwards' team was fined $100,000 points and his crew chief was suspended for six races after NASCAR discovered the oil can lid in Edwards' car was off during his win at Las Vegas.

He became infuriated when Lee White, the general manager of TRD, suggested the violation was intentional.

Admittedly angry over what Roush considered a personal attack he launched a few bombs at White and Toyota. Among them was the stolen part.

Roush said he's had several discussions with NASCAR officials about the theft. He was alarmed when Ryan Pemberton, the vice president of competition for the series, said thefts are a common occurrence and the teams needed to work it out amongst themselves.

"There's a lot of people ready to sweep dirt under the rug," Roush said. "I don't want to embarrass the sponsor. I really don't want to embarrass the team. But I also don't want to be made to look stupid."

Roush said there is something fundamentally wrong if NASCAR doesn't intercede, reminding they have no problem reacting when somebody uses an illegal part whether on purpose or not.

"But they don't have rules when it's related to theft," he said. "Maybe they should."

Roush, noting he has been in the business 22 years, and said this is the first time he's heard of such a situation. He declined to respond to a question in which Michael Waltrip Racing was insinuated as the Toyota team.

"I don't substantiate," he said.

Waltrip said he would not comment on Roush's comments until he sees the transcript of what Roush said.

David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com.

dw17
3/28/2008, 03:14 PM
Nope, it's blowing up now. No going back.

Qualifying going on now. Makes an already intersting race weekend more so.

dw17
3/28/2008, 03:16 PM
Qualifying now:

1) 24
2) 6 (!?! David Regan?!)
3) 9
4) 48
5) 07

Still early

dw17
3/28/2008, 04:21 PM
1) 24
2) 11
3) 8
4) 6
5) 26

Jeff Gordon with the Coors Light Pole award. Seems funny to say that.

For so many years it was Winston Cup, Busch Series, Bud Pole. Times a changin

bri
3/28/2008, 05:22 PM
Roush said there is something fundamentally wrong if NASCAR doesn't intercede, reminding they have no problem reacting when somebody uses an illegal part whether on purpose or not.

"But they don't have rules when it's related to theft," he said. "Maybe they should."

Um, this league was started up by bootleggers. He should be glad they even have rules at all. :D

dw17
3/28/2008, 09:48 PM
hehe, no kidding.

back in the day Cale Yarbrough would have just gone over and beat the crap out of the thief.

BudSooner
3/29/2008, 05:54 AM
Common templates, common swaybars.

Jack in the hat, common cheater. Unapproved springs/manifold/carb.

*Yawn*

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/29/2008, 09:51 AM
You have made teh Hillbilly Queen very proud.

:kelvin:

bri
3/29/2008, 10:34 AM
http://www.flashasylum.com/db/files/Comics/Dave/comicnascar1.png

dw17
3/29/2008, 12:53 PM
Apparantly it was Michael Waltrip's team. NASCAR is taking the stance that it's between Roush and Waltrip.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/29/2008, 01:02 PM
What, they don't have sway bars at Napa?

:mack:

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/29/2008, 01:03 PM
Oh, also...freaking Waltrips.

:kelvin:

OKLA21FAN
3/29/2008, 01:40 PM
Apparantly it was Michael Waltrip's team. NASCAR is taking the stance that it's between Roush and Waltrip.

Roush and Waltrip????

talk about credibility or lack there of.

bri
3/29/2008, 03:08 PM
What, they don't have sway bars at Napa?

Sure they do. They're on aisle 55, right next to the jet fuel.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY BOYS, LET'S GO CHEATIN'!!! :D

BudSooner
3/30/2008, 01:03 PM
Like Mikey had any credibility to begin with.

Oh, and Trackpass RAWKS!

OKLA21FAN
3/30/2008, 07:35 PM
Roush Fenway Racing doesn't plan any legal action against MWR: Roush Fenway Racing doesn't plan to take legal action against Michael Waltrip Racing for what it characterized as the theft of a sway bar unless there is evidence that the piece has been duplicated. Team president Geoff Smith said the issue would not have surfaced at all had Toyota general manager Lee White not insinuated that Roush's team of Carl Edwards intentionally cheated at Las Vegas.(see full story at ESPN.com), so lets hope this whole thing is over.(3-30-2008)

sour grapes

bri
3/30/2008, 07:38 PM
Like Mikey had any credibility to begin with.

I'd call him Tito Waltrip, but that would imply that Darrell is a Michael. He's a Jermaine at best.

Blue
3/30/2008, 10:29 PM
I call him "The Assinator."

dw17
3/31/2008, 12:08 PM
Looks like Waltrip and crew should have stolen whole cars, teams, and drivers.