PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hawking

StoopTroup
3/28/2008, 09:14 AM
Just watched a 1 hour show on the Science Channel about him.

It was about his life before ALS, Einstien and how he came to a conclusion about his ALS through a dream.

He dreamt that he was going to be executed and that if he were reprieved there was some worthwhile things to do.

I guess I never took the time to try and understand how he became physically disabled or how he figured out how to function and do the things he does.

I think I always thought that black holes were like space parasites that just went gobbling up matter lile a garbage disposal.

That idea that Hawking Radiation is emitted from the black hole and that it evenually dies or ceases to exist as a black hole never crossed my mind.

Anyway...I got all that over a Apple Fritter and a Cappucino this morning. :D

JohnnyMack
3/28/2008, 09:33 AM
...is smarter than you and I combined.

StoopTroup
3/28/2008, 09:35 AM
I think that goes without saying....

Now.

Why did you say it?

Am I smarter than you?

Discuss. :D ;)

soonerscuba
3/28/2008, 11:12 AM
Just watched a 1 hour show on the Science Channel about him.

It was about his life before ALS, Einstien and how he came to a conclusion about his ALS through a dream.

He dreamt that he was going to be executed and that if he were reprieved there was some worthwhile things to do.

I guess I never took the time to try and understand how he became physically disabled or how he figured out how to function and do the things he does.

I think I always thought that black holes were like space parasites that just went gobbling up matter lile a garbage disposal.

That idea that Hawking Radiation is emitted from the black hole and that it evenually dies or ceases to exist as a black hole never crossed my mind.

Anyway...I got all that over a Apple Fritter and a Cappucino this morning. :D
Well, our own Shaun helped him publish "A Brief History of Time" so I'm sure he can fill us in on all the details.

shaun4411
3/28/2008, 12:03 PM
without me, it never would have happened.

Ike
3/28/2008, 12:11 PM
All his shootings be drivebys....

Sorry, but now every time I hear his name, I think of MC Hawking....

soonerscuba
3/28/2008, 12:29 PM
without me, it never would have happened.
I know, it's very impressive. Judging by your posts I'm sure you didn't edit, but nevertheless, I am humbled to have a member of our board that is responsible for one of the most seminal pieces of non-fiction ever written. What are the odds?

shaun4411
3/28/2008, 12:43 PM
I know, it's very impressive. Judging by your posts I'm sure you didn't edit, but nevertheless, I am humbled to have a member of our board that is responsible for one of the most seminal pieces of non-fiction ever written. What are the odds?

~ 1 in 3,000,000,000

Widescreen
3/28/2008, 12:47 PM
Event Horizon

I always thought that was a cool term and would make a good title for a Sci Fi movie.

Edit: I went to imdb and apparently there was already a movie named Event Horizon and it starred Morpheus.

Civicus_Sooner
3/28/2008, 12:48 PM
I liked him in that Pink Floyd song.

shaun4411
3/28/2008, 01:15 PM
Event Horizon

I always thought that was a cool term and would make a good title for a Sci Fi movie.

Edit: I went to imdb and apparently there was already a movie named Event Horizon and it starred Morpheus.

ive been keen to the term entropy myself.

Jimminy Crimson
3/28/2008, 03:14 PM
NSFW :cool:

http://www.jibjab.com/view/145602

StoopTroup
3/28/2008, 03:18 PM
lol. SPEK!

Xstnlsooner
3/28/2008, 04:57 PM
Event Horizon

It's a decent movie, I kinda liked it, although it's been a few years...

Ike
3/28/2008, 05:12 PM
Event Horizon

One of our conference rooms is called the Event Horizon...

and the movie was terrible.

Sooner24
3/28/2008, 09:34 PM

I thought it was dolemite that did that. ;)