PDA

View Full Version : Why I needs a PS3

Sooner_Havok
3/28/2008, 12:32 AM
GTA IV (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167132), nuff said!

I have been dragging my feet about getting a nextgen consul, but this game has had me saving my money to buy it and a PS3 for a while now. Hope I got the fundage by the release date.

Frozen Sooner
3/28/2008, 01:23 AM
Here's why you need a PS3.

The ability to serve all media from your PC hard drive to your home theater upscaled to 1080p.

Just think about that for a while.

Sooner_Havok
3/28/2008, 01:27 AM
Here's why you need a PS3.

The ability to serve all media from your PC hard drive to your home theater upscaled to 1080p.

Just think about that for a while.

That, GTA IV, and Ratchet and Clank!

Frozen Sooner
3/28/2008, 01:34 AM
Sorry, can't hear you. Ratcheting my clank in 1080p.

Sooner_Havok
3/28/2008, 01:39 AM
Sorry, can't hear you. Ratcheting my clank in 1080p.

:mad:

Phase one will be complete tomorrow when I go get my 32' Westinghouse LCD TV. Phase two will the begin. So there!

Frozen Sooner
3/28/2008, 01:42 AM
Seriously, it's amazing to me what a low percentage of "on" time that PS3 has that's dedicated to playing a game.

Truly one of the most amazing pieces of home theater equipment I've seen. ANYTHING you need for your home theater but a display, receiver, and speakers and it'll do it.

Mixer!
3/28/2008, 02:01 AM
60GB >>>>>>>>>>>> 80GB.

Ike
3/28/2008, 02:04 AM
Seriously, it's amazing to me what a low percentage of "on" time that PS3 has that's dedicated to playing a game.

Truly one of the most amazing pieces of home theater equipment I've seen. ANYTHING you need for your home theater but a display, receiver, and speakers and it'll do it.

DVR?

Frozen Sooner
3/28/2008, 11:24 AM
DVR?

A hack exists for this, and Sony has already released software in Europe for it.

achiro
3/28/2008, 11:45 AM
You can eliminate the surround sound receiver and just run the speakers directly through it?

Frozen Sooner
3/28/2008, 11:46 AM
You can eliminate the surround sound receiver and just run the speakers directly through it?

ANYTHING you need for your home theater but a display, receiver, and speakers and it'll do it.

No.

shaun4411
3/28/2008, 11:49 AM
:mad:

Phase one will be complete tomorrow when I go get my 32' Westinghouse LCD TV. Phase two will the begin. So there!

will you even be able to see that tiny thing from the couch?

Beef
3/28/2008, 11:50 AM

So you're saying that when I finally sell my house and buy a new one and get a shiny new TV, I should get PS3 instead of XBox 360?

Frozen Sooner
3/28/2008, 12:03 PM
Depends on what you're going to use it for. If it's primarily a gaming machine, I'd probably go with a 360. If it's going to play DVDs, BDs, CDs, and SACDs, the PS3 is superior to the 360 in each area. The 360 will act as a media server as well, but it doesn't upscale DVDs as well as the PS3, it doesn't upsample CDs, and it won't play BDs or SACDs at all.

shaun4411
3/28/2008, 12:04 PM
AND, it isnt as cool. bluetooth is better than rf

Frozen Sooner
3/28/2008, 12:06 PM
Debatable. Sure, it's a superior technology, but when you have a nice Harmony remote it's a pain in the ***.

dolemitesooner
3/28/2008, 01:18 PM
I have both systems.

360 is Great for 2 things and 2 things online

1.HALO 3, and any other game only for X'box (Bioshock)

2.Communiction while gaming with friends.

Ps3 is better in every other department, GRAN tURISMO - 5 PROLOUGE COMES OUT IN 16 DAYS

C&CDean
3/28/2008, 02:35 PM
I've been looking for PS3's on E-Bay. What's the difference between the 60 and the 80? And don't be a smartass.

shaun4411
3/28/2008, 02:46 PM
60 does everything (back compatible to ps2 games etc). its more space than youll likely ever use. if it istn enough space, just put in a bigger hd. i dont know if the 80 has the same capabilities, im sure it does since it is technically an upgrade. but from what i hear, the 40 istn back compatible to ps2 games.

as for dolemite's comment: the playstation network (psn) has never given me a problem. i have experienced very little lag, great game play, and it is free. i also communicate (via a bluetooth headset if i so desire) with friends all over our lil globe with no lag or problems. so, while the xbox does these things, i dont see how it is this 'superior' thing that some people seem to think it is.

C&CDean
3/28/2008, 02:52 PM
Now if somebody who actually knows what the **** they are talking about would answer my question I'd be happy.

shaun4411
3/28/2008, 03:04 PM
yea, having experience taught me absolutely nothing.

BigRedJed
3/28/2008, 03:10 PM
Is this for the tractor?

BigRedJed
3/28/2008, 03:11 PM
@#*&^% TIMING RUINERS!!!

dolemitesooner
3/28/2008, 03:20 PM
Now if somebody who actually knows what the **** they are talking about would answer my question I'd be happy.There is no difference one has a bigger harddrive. The 60 and 80 are the same.

The 40 gig and the 20 gigs are the ones you don't want to buy.

dolemitesooner
3/28/2008, 03:26 PM
60 does everything (back compatible to ps2 games etc). its more space than youll likely ever use. if it istn enough space, just put in a bigger hd. i dont know if the 80 has the same capabilities, im sure it does since it is technically an upgrade. but from what i hear, the 40 istn back compatible to ps2 games.

as for dolemite's comment: the playstation network (psn) has never given me a problem. i have experienced very little lag, great game play, and it is free. i also communicate (via a bluetooth headset if i so desire) with friends all over our lil globe with no lag or problems. so, while the xbox does these things, i dont see how it is this 'superior' thing that some people seem to think it is.Well you would be completly wrong. I have both systems and have played the **** out of both and been around the gaming community since both of these things came out. One of the perks to paying for X-box live is that it has better servers for the games, and people host on most games and not the game companys.

One PSN it is free and sony has nothing to do with the online gaming. The compaines who put out the games, such as EA, INSOMNIAC, AND UBISOFT, are the ones responsiable for servers for there own games, and from game to game their seems to be different problems. On all ea games there is insane lag at times. On Cod4 you cant mute others players until the new patch. Also because of this when componies send patchs for games out X-live gets thers out asap and psn's will sometimes come out weeks later.

The playstation is a great machine and it will be better in the long run, but right now when it comes to gaming the 360 is the far better system.

C&CDean
3/28/2008, 03:26 PM
yea, having experience taught me absolutely nothing.

Oh. So when I say something based on my vast, lengthy, and unique life experience I'm just a cranky old man who doesn't have a clue. But when you say something based on your decade and a half life experience I'm supposed to go "wow! he really knows him some **** now..."

Besides, I don't want it for games. I want it for Blueray.

dolemitesooner
3/28/2008, 03:33 PM
Oh. So when I say something based on my vast, lengthy, and unique life experience I'm just a cranky old man who doesn't have a clue. But when you say something based on your decade and a half life experience I'm supposed to go "wow! he really knows him some **** now..."

Besides, I don't want it for games. I want it for Blueray.lol. He proved in a couple of statements he does not know much.

If you are only buying it for Blueray Dean then any of them will work. Here are the differences that I think would matter to you for a ps3.

80 gig has everthing
60 gig has everthing
40 gig it not backwards compatiable and will not play old PS2 games. I don't think that matters for you unless the boys wanted to play ps2 games on it. Which if they did they should have a ps2. Also it has 2 less usb ports. It will not play SCD (super cd- very rare I dont even own one nor have I seen one.)
It also does not have the sad reader.
20 gig Same as 40 gig but it will play old ps2 games

Basicly if you are just looking for one as a blueray player any of them will work. But I would not buy a used one off of ebay. I would only buy a new one.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2008, 03:37 PM
the 40's also play laserdisc and you can purchase an add-on to it that plays beta

dolemitesooner
3/28/2008, 03:39 PM
the 40's also play laserdisc and you can purchase an add-on to it that plays betaThere are no add-ons for the ps3 don't be a smartass and confuss the old man:D

C&CDean
3/28/2008, 03:50 PM
the 40's also play laserdisc and you can purchase an add-on to it that plays beta

No ****? Will it play 8-tracks too?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2008, 04:08 PM
No ****? Will it play 8-tracks too?

no thats on the xbox 360

C&CDean
3/28/2008, 04:10 PM
Crap. So now I gotta buy both.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/28/2008, 04:38 PM
put them in the new tractor

shaun4411
3/28/2008, 06:48 PM
Well you would be completly wrong. I have both systems and have played the **** out of both and been around the gaming community since both of these things came out. One of the perks to paying for X-box live is that it has better servers for the games, and people host on most games and not the game companys.

One PSN it is free and sony has nothing to do with the online gaming. The compaines who put out the games, such as EA, INSOMNIAC, AND UBISOFT, are the ones responsiable for servers for there own games, and from game to game their seems to be different problems. On all ea games there is insane lag at times. On Cod4 you cant mute others players until the new patch. Also because of this when componies send patchs for games out X-live gets thers out asap and psn's will sometimes come out weeks later.

The playstation is a great machine and it will be better in the long run, but right now when it comes to gaming the 360 is the far better system.

then i am lucky and have had good experiences. ive hosted games, friends have hosted games. and those with better internet connections who host the games have had significantly less lag. ive experienced lag. but those times are few and far between. in my personal experience, the great majority of games ive played, the experience was almost unidentifiable from playing one-player mode. and if youre saying that the authors of games host the online environments on their servers for their games, then the idea that players host games using the "host game" feature is completely misleading.

i am not on the side of either system. but like you, ive played both and have noticed no difference in game play. both look teh same, and play the same. the difference arent noticeable, and what small differences there are, they are mosty insignificant.

shaun4411
3/28/2008, 06:58 PM

Besides, I don't want it for games. I want it for Blueray.

i was referring to my experience with the ps3. though i am younger than most on here,i would venture to say that i have experienced more of this world than most people considerably older than me.

Ruuuuuufus
3/28/2008, 07:05 PM
Dean there are a few other differences between the 60gb and 80gb systems.

The 60gb PS3 uses the Emotion Engine hardware chip to play PS2 games. It is pretty much identical to the chip inside a new PS2. 99% of PS2 games are playable on the 60gb PS3.

The 80gb PS3 does not have the EE chip and uses a software emulation for PS2 games instead. As a result there are fewer PS2 games that are supported. At the time of release 72% of PS2 games were fully backwards compatible with the software emulation. After subsequent software releases this number is up closer to 85-90% now. You can check out the compatibility of particular games here (http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus).

for instance, God of War on 80gb systems: Description: During various FMV sequences throughout the title, the audio plays overlapped by static audio distortion. Pretty minor but it's still there.

Also, the sooner Sony gives us mkv support the better.

BigRedJed
3/28/2008, 07:07 PM
I still think Dean's buying his for the tractor.

TUSooner
3/29/2008, 09:46 AM
Hmm.
I can't help but contrast this thread about going ga-ga with a boner over fancy toys to royalfan's decision to wait before buying a car.
Rf5 = teh win!

Sincerely,
Crankier Than Dean

CatfishSooner
3/29/2008, 10:10 AM
who the h wants to even play ps2 games anymore?

BudSooner
3/29/2008, 10:15 AM
Eh, I don't know...the old Metal Gear games are fun to play now and then.
The other games, not so much.

Frozen Sooner
3/29/2008, 11:38 AM
Hmm.
I can't help but contrast this thread about going ga-ga with a boner over fancy toys to royalfan's decision to wait before buying a car.
Rf5 = teh win!

Sincerely,
Crankier Than Dean

You hate America.

CatfishSooner
3/29/2008, 05:46 PM
anyone played call of duty 4?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/29/2008, 11:26 PM

heck ya..love it...Army of Two looks like teh win also

shaun4411
3/30/2008, 04:50 PM

my favorite level is the sniper level. reminds me of that movie behind enemy lines

Vaevictis
3/30/2008, 05:07 PM
who the h wants to even play ps2 games anymore?

I do.

Hell, I still play NES games.

CatfishSooner
3/30/2008, 05:10 PM
The AC 130 gunship level is sweeet...i just finished that one...

shaun4411
3/30/2008, 05:18 PM
The AC 130 gunship level is sweeet...i just finished that one...

probably my second fav level