PDA

View Full Version : So the Jokelahoman gets Capel paid!

nativesooner
3/27/2008, 11:40 PM
Wow! Not that I don't think we should keep Jeff FOREVER (or at least a few more years), but this is how the story went.....

Jokelahoman: South Carolina wants Coach Capel!

Capel: Busy, not interested, love it here, tryin to build something special here anyway...

Jokelahoman: Capel offered 100 million to go to SC, he's from right above there ya know!!

Capel: Uhh, still love it here...not sure where this is coming from, not going anywhere, family is happy here...

Other media outlets: Only newspaper in Oklahoma says Capel leaving, he tells us he's not...not sure who to believe, Jeff or the largest newspaper in the state with insiders like Carlson, Tramel and Rohde...

Jokelahoman: Capel packs bags, tells Blake Griffin to go pro!!

Capel: Huh?! Again, I'm good, but let me just chill and see where this goes...

Jokelahoman: Capel in the Carolina area buying house! Blake Griffin working out for pro scouts. OU basketball heading in downward spiral!

Fans: Oh no! According to the DOK, Capel is leaving, Blake too, and Willie Warren won't come now! :( I was seriously thinking about getting some of those holiday game packs next year too!!

Joe C and OU: We have offered Jeff 100 million and 3 dollars to stay!! He's miraculously agreed! Whew!!

Jokelahoman: OU ponies up the dough, Capel sells recently purchased house in SC and invites Griffin to stay... however we will continue to report he'll go pro..

Fans: Thank you for staying Coach, we almost feel like you never left!!

:P

Collier11
3/28/2008, 01:05 AM
what?

goingoneight
3/28/2008, 01:38 AM
I remember ol' Holcomb and Deano talking about Stoops to Florida based solely on "because he has a vacation house in Florida and likes it there."

Heh... if YOU made Bob Stoops's paycheck... wouldn't YOU buy a house somewhere you like to frequently visit?

Then of course there was the second time around... "because UF is looking for a Spurrier-era connection." Uh... yeah... when you suck... you long for the good ole days. Sort of like us wishing we got :mack: back in 1998 when we reached the epitome of suckitude and coughed up OUr first loss to :mack:. BUT... BUT... HE WAS A SWITZER GUY!!!

When you make the tourney... you make money... especially if you're only 33 and no one expected you to for four to five years because of the mess a previous coach left behind. Same reason we made certain to take care of Stoops after taking us to the post-season in 1999. Granted, it wasn't an important bowl game... and we didn't do well... but still. Capel was due for this, and I for one wouldn't blame him at ALL for posting his resume if he didn't get a raise after how hard he's worked since he arrived.

Ash
3/28/2008, 08:25 AM
It's called testing the market for leverage.

Your agent tests the market, you get interest and some numbers get thrown around. Your agent calls your boss, or they get wind of it through other channels, they match or exceed the numbers.

soonerfan28
3/28/2008, 08:32 AM
It's called testing the market for leverage.

Your agent tests the market, you get interest and some numbers get thrown around. Your agent calls your boss, or they get wind of it through other channels, they match or exceed the numbers.

Stoops did the same thing with Florida a few years ago.

MojoRisen
3/28/2008, 08:55 AM
What did he get raised too? He was under paid and un proven. I think now people can say he is legit and can recruit.

Curious of the number though? Also the market is there no matter what, Capel isn't at fault because he is sought after in the BBALL Market which is there no matter what he does.

Look at as getting a dang good deal on him the last 2 years and good vision from the AD.

badger
3/28/2008, 10:03 AM
native, I almost got the same impression, but remember how the local media reacted when it was possible that Bob Stoops would leave for Florida or the NFL? He had reporters knocking on his front door. :rolleyes:

Granted, maybe the reporting is questionable... however, sports news (namely OU news) is probably the only reason many Oklahomans still watch the news on tv or get a newspaper. Therefore, you probably expect new news on the subject every day, right? Therefore, even if there is nothing to report on it, they'll find some new angle, they always do :rolleyes:

I think Jeff handled it well and considering the season, he deserved a raise from the gutter of the Big 12. I know 750 thou isn't chump change, but we're looking at comparatively to other Big 12 coaches here.

soonerfan28
3/28/2008, 10:10 AM
I agree he deserved a raise.

Mudskipper
3/28/2008, 10:18 AM
What did he get raised too? He was under paid and un proven. I think now people can say he is legit and can recruit.

Curious of the number though? Also the market is there no matter what, Capel isn't at fault because he is sought after in the BBALL Market which is there no matter what he does.

Look at as getting a dang good deal on him the last 2 years and good vision from the AD.

ESPN reports 6 year extension at $1.05 Million per year with incentives one of which is $100,000 per year bonus for staying which is payable at the end of 6 years.

badger
3/28/2008, 10:30 AM
New idea for incentive for Capel: Increased attendance at non-Texas/OSU games bonus :D

He already probably gets incentives for appearing on sports programs, graduation rates, winning 20 regular season games, winning the Big 12, winning the Big 12 tourney, going to the NCAA, getting to certain rounds of the NCAA (like the Final Four) and winning championships. These were the same incentives given to KS. They also included green fees at local golf courses, use of cars, and football/basketball tickets... I wonder if this is why we see Stoops at so many basketball games? "Free tickets? I'm so there!"

(just kidding)

Seriously though, I know a lot of attendance issues has to do with the athletic department, but there are things coaches can personally do to drum up ticket sales and attendance. Santiago Restrepo (volleyball coach), for example, used to give donuts out to students on the South Oval between classes to encourage them to come to games, and many did. Now, they have a pretty solid student following with their winning program. Remember when Sherri Coale serenaded men's basketball fans with "Tennessee is coming to town?" Fans showed up in greater numbers!

Just my two cents. We have recruiting back, we have the tourney back, now it's time get fans in seats back.

soonerguild
3/28/2008, 12:18 PM
New idea for incentive for Capel: Increased attendance at non-Texas/OSU games bonus :D

He already probably gets incentives for appearing on sports programs, graduation rates, winning 20 regular season games, winning the Big 12, winning the Big 12 tourney, going to the NCAA, getting to certain rounds of the NCAA (like the Final Four) and winning championships. These were the same incentives given to KS. They also included green fees at local golf courses, use of cars, and football/basketball tickets... I wonder if this is why we see Stoops at so many basketball games? "Free tickets? I'm so there!"

(just kidding)

Seriously though, I know a lot of attendance issues has to do with the athletic department, but there are things coaches can personally do to drum up ticket sales and attendance. Santiago Restrepo (volleyball coach), for example, used to give donuts out to students on the South Oval between classes to encourage them to come to games, and many did. Now, they have a pretty solid student following with their winning program. Remember when Sherri Coale serenaded men's basketball fans with "Tennessee is coming to town?" Fans showed up in greater numbers!

Just my two cents. We have recruiting back, we have the tourney back, now it's time get fans in seats back.

Those are things that the volleyball coach has to do. Not things that our basketball coach should have to do. Realistically the student tickets should be free, or cost alot less. I for one have no problem with the current student ticket price as I have now bought them six years in a row(I know what your thinking, I'm in grad school). As far as the entire attendence problem it is with the richer people. The upper deck was consistantly 80-90 percent full. Its the donor season ticket holders that don't show up. There were certain seats that I don't think were used one time, like the two in front of my dads tickets. That is the problem. We have enough fans that would go to the games, they just don't have season tickets due to donors buying them. I realize donors are important, but with our current football revenue I really think a full house is more important. Just my 2 cents.