PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Navigable Waterways ****** *******s

royalfan5
3/27/2008, 09:04 PM
So Tulsa has a port. How far does barge traffic go in either direction of Tulsa?

AlbqSooner
3/27/2008, 09:10 PM
Down the Kerr-McLellan waterway (Arkansas river) to the Mississippi River and the Gulf of Mexico. Not sure if it is still true, but in the early '80s the Port of Catoosa (Tulsa) was a free port for customs purposes.

Okla-homey
3/27/2008, 09:12 PM
Not much farther upriver, but the river is navigable by barge traffic from Tulsa all the way to New Orleans and the Gulf. We are America's farthest inland seaport not on the Mississippi.

OU-HSV
3/27/2008, 09:14 PM
I'm not so sure a person couldn't walk or ride a 4 wheeler down the Arkansas River. :D Looks like it's shallow as sh*t. Especially a few weeks ago when they let it drop way down for what they called "spring cleaning"

JohnnyMack
3/27/2008, 09:19 PM
Not much farther upriver, but the river is navigable by barge traffic from Tulsa all the way to New Orleans and the Gulf. We are America's farthest inland seaport not on the Mississippi.

If by "we" you mean Catoosa and the sandbar that is Tulsa, I agree. :D

JohnnyMack
3/27/2008, 09:20 PM
I'm not so sure a person couldn't walk or ride a 4 wheeler down the Arkansas River. :D Looks like it's shallow as sh*t. Especially a few weeks ago when they let it drop way down for what they called "spring cleaning"

There was talk of dredging it a few years back. The reason it's always kept so low (down on the south part of town) is that it's all basically a floodplain.

StoopTroup
3/27/2008, 09:21 PM
I've got the navigation charts for the Kerr-McGee River.

They are the Bi-centential Issue from July 1976.

It's very cool to look through...

OU-HSV
3/27/2008, 09:32 PM
There was talk of dredging it a few years back. The reason it's always kept so low (down on the south part of town) is that it's all basically a floodplain.

Yep. I grew up in B.A. and I remember it flooding more than once in south B.A. and Bixby. I've seen the Indian Springs soccer field, school area and the older area of the Indian Springs housing addition all flooded.

StoopTroup
3/27/2008, 09:36 PM
Folks....

If you've never been out on the Arkansas River....

Don't go alone.

There are sinkholes out there.

OU-HSV
3/27/2008, 09:37 PM
Plus take a dust mask...it stinks in some west/southern areas...around the Jenks aquarium it seems.

BigRedJed
3/27/2008, 09:39 PM
Plus it has a bunch of crummy OLD trees. In OKC, we have a bunch of brand NEW trees on our river.

Boomer.....
3/27/2008, 09:47 PM
I think that the Port of Catoosa is the furthest inlet port in America.