PDA

View Full Version : Raise and Extension for Coach C.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/27/2008, 04:09 PM
Tulsa World reporting that Joe is is giving the R and E to Coach and he has agreed to both and will be coach next season

stoopified
3/27/2008, 04:18 PM
Works for me,If anyone gets details or link,please post.

Collier11
3/27/2008, 04:21 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080327_2__Unive62372

SoonerMom2
3/27/2008, 05:11 PM
How can this be? Dean Blevins hasn't given us his new percentage yet. (sarcasm)

Great NEWS! Enjoyed watching Capel coach this team!

stoopified
3/27/2008, 05:22 PM
How can this be? Dean Blevins hasn't given us his new percentage yet. (sarcasm)

Great NEWS! Enjoyed watching Capel coach this team!True dat. :D

Thanks for the link C11.

Collier11
3/27/2008, 05:24 PM
True dat. :D

Thanks for the link C11.

I stole it from Badger :O :D

Frozen Sooner
3/27/2008, 08:09 PM
According to Rivals, the contract runs through the 2014 season.

Collier11
3/27/2008, 08:23 PM
OU, Capel Agree to Extension
Men's basketball coach's contract to run through 2014, pending Board of Regents approval.

March 27, 2008

NORMAN, Okla. - University of Oklahoma Vice President for Sports Programs and Athletics Director Joe Castiglione announced today that OU is extending the contract of head men's basketball coach Jeff Capel through 2014, pending approval of the OU Board of Regents. The new contract calls for a guaranteed compensation of $1,050,000 per year plus incentives. In addition, the contract includes a stay bonus of $100,000 per year payable at the conclusion of six years.

After posting a record of 16-15 in his first season, Capel led Oklahoma to a 23-12 mark in 2007-08, finishing fourth in the Big 12 Conference and earning a first-round bye in the league tournament. OU later advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

The coach said he is eager to move forward with the Sooner program.

"I want to thank the University of Oklahoma, especially President Boren and Joe Castiglione, for the continued belief in me and in our basketball program. Our program made tremendous progress this season and the new contract will allow us to build on our momentum.

"This is also a direct reflection on our players, assistant coaches and support staff. I'm thankful to everyone associated with our program and look forward to continuing my steadfast commitment to the University by helping our program get better each day."

Castiglione said no state-appropriated funds will be used for Capel's compensation which will be funded by revenue produced by the Athletics Department. OU is one of the few universities in the country which does not subsidize its Athletics Department with appropriated university funds. In fact, it is one of the few departments in the nation that provides some Athletics Department revenues to pay for academic programs.

"Jeff Capel has done an outstanding job of rebuilding OU's basketball program with even greater potential for success in the future," said OU President David L. Boren. "He is an outstanding teacher and mentor of our student-athletes."

Castiglione said, "We greatly appreciate the positive momentum which continues to build under the leadership of Jeff Capel," Castiglione said. "His work ethic, character, passion for excellence and his ability to inspire is truly generating enthusiasm for Oklahoma basketball."

Prior to accepting the OU position on April 11, 2006, Capel achieved a 79-41 mark in four seasons as the head coach at Virginia Commonwealth. Capel played college basketball at Duke and earned his bachelor's degree there in 1997.

sooner518
3/27/2008, 09:23 PM
but i thought that d00sh from CBS Sportsline all but guaranteed that Capel was gone to South Carolina?!?!?! Im confused!!

OKC-SLC
3/27/2008, 09:25 PM
Excellent news.

kevpks
3/27/2008, 10:53 PM
Awesome, that makes my day.

william_brasky
3/27/2008, 11:16 PM
Viva El Capel muchachos!

stoopified
3/27/2008, 11:21 PM
but i thought that d00sh from CBS Sportsline all but guaranteed that Capel was gone to South Carolina?!?!?! Im confused!!So you are saying that Dean Blevins is wrong EVEN when he writes under an assumed name? :D

cheezyq
3/28/2008, 09:17 AM
Not that it matters a whole lot, but it always appeared to me that Joe C. and Jeff C. have had a good relationship. I've seen after several games, and especially after the exciting Baylor win, that Joe is one of the first people Jeff goes and talks to after the game is over.

Plus, when a reporter last year asked Joe how he knew that Jeff would be a good coach, he sort of had this smug grin as he said, "Well, we did our research and came up with the best candidate to bring the university forward". I think Joe C is awfully proud of his hire, and I couldn't imagine him letting Jeff go before he makes Joe look really good.

soonerguild
3/28/2008, 12:21 PM
Not that it matters a whole lot, but it always appeared to me that Joe C. and Jeff C. have had a good relationship. I've seen after several games, and especially after the exciting Baylor win, that Joe is one of the first people Jeff goes and talks to after the game is over.

Plus, when a reporter last year asked Joe how he knew that Jeff would be a good coach, he sort of had this smug grin as he said, "Well, we did our research and came up with the best candidate to bring the university forward". I think Joe C is awfully proud of his hire, and I couldn't imagine him letting Jeff go before he makes Joe look really good.

I completely agree. I think Joe C wanted to make the equivalant of the Stoops hire for basketball and that is exactly what he did.

Jeff Capel is the man, and thank goodness that we have Joe C to keep him happy.

Big Red Ron
3/30/2008, 08:42 PM
woot

StoopTroup
3/30/2008, 08:46 PM
He deserves the bucks IMO.

WTG Joe C.