PDA

View Full Version : The "big" games in September, 2008

Mac94
3/27/2008, 09:51 AM
Focusing strickly on OOC mathcups in the first month, there are some interesting games in the first five weeks. This is strickly OOC so conferecne games in the ACC, SEC, ect are not included, like Florida-Tennessee ... and does not include, obviously, big OOC games later in the season like Florida-Florida St. Anyway, here are some of the interesting OOC matchups early next year:

August 30th
Clemson vs Alabama (in Atlanta)
USC @ Virginia
Kentucky @ Louisville
Illinois vs Missouri (in St. Louis)
Michigan St. @ Cal
Oklahoma St. @ Washington St. (in Seattle)

September 6th
Mississippi @ Wake Forest
Miami @ Florida
Cincinatti @ Oklahoma
Oregon St. @ Penn St.
Tennessee @ UCLA

September 13th
N. Carolina @ Rutgers (Thurs - 9/11)
Kansas @ S. Florida (Fri - 9/12)
Cal @ Maryland
Penn St. @ Syracuse
Iowa St. @ Iowa
Michigan @ Notre Dame
Ohio St. @ USC
Oregon @ Purdue
Oklahoma @ Washington
Arkansas @ Texas

September 20th
Kansas St. @ Louisville (Wed - 9/17)
W. Virginia @ Colorado (Thurs - 9/18)
Miami @ Texas A&M
Mississippi St. @ Georgia Tech
Iowa @ Pitt
Notre Dame @ Michigan St.
Georgia @ Arizona St.

September 27th
Colorado @ Florida St. (in Jacksonville)
Virginia Tech @ Nebraska
Purdue @ Notre Dame

The Maestro
3/27/2008, 11:27 AM
I will say this...props to USC for scheduling two big time OOC games. They aren't running from anything or trying to patsy their way through the schedule.

Big year for Petey and the boys...four losses the last two years and none of them are all that credible, minus the loss at Oregon last year. Their underachievement reminds me of another team.

TheUnnamedSooner
3/27/2008, 11:29 AM
what about texas tech's OOC schedule? It's pretty tough!

goingoneight
3/27/2008, 11:19 PM
I will say this...props to USC for scheduling two big time OOC games. They aren't running from anything or trying to patsy their way through the schedule.

Big year for Petey and the boys...four losses the last two years and none of them are all that credible, minus the loss at Oregon last year. Their underachievement reminds me of another team.

Who... Ohio State? Texass? Anyone who doesn't win the MNC every single year? :P

shaun4411
4/2/2008, 12:32 PM

i think it is a very smart move. that gives usc the benefit of the doubt if there are several 0-loss or 1-loss teams at the top of the heap. i wish ou would do this. so what if you risk losing to a marquee team in the beginning of the season.

1. youre playing for all the marbles anyway
2. its OOC, so wont affect your ability to win the conference
3. its good practice
4. benefit of the doubt if other teams have same record
4. SOS
5. fans love it

Bourbon St Sooner
4/2/2008, 12:46 PM
Oh Good. Another chance for aggie to yell "Team on the rise" all summer and then embarrass themselves on the road on national tv in their opening week again

Salt City Sooner
4/2/2008, 01:17 PM
i think it is a very smart move. that gives usc the benefit of the doubt if there are several 0-loss or 1-loss teams at the top of the heap. i wish ou would do this. so what if you risk losing to a marquee team in the beginning of the season.

3. its good practice
4. SOS
5. fans love it
I'm going to assume that you haven't seen OU's future OOC's, because OU DOES do this.

Ardmore_Sooner
4/2/2008, 02:37 PM

3. its good practice
4. SOS
5. fans love it

So, do you watch OU football? Or is this supposed to be sarcastic? I'm lost. :confused:

OUfan7
4/2/2008, 03:52 PM
Don't forget Labor Day, Rutgers vs. Fresno St. & Tennessee vs. UCLA.

boomersooner28
4/2/2008, 06:47 PM
shaun4411...in case you live under a rock, Oklahoma has scheduled Alabama, Miami, Washington, Tennessee, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and LSU. To name a few.

AlbqSooner
4/2/2008, 07:22 PM
Many OOC games are scheduled far in advance. Virginia was probably weak when they were scheduled. Shaun - see the preceding post.

auto
4/2/2008, 08:23 PM
Will be heading to UDub for the game, can't wait.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/2/2008, 08:45 PM
Seeing those out-of-conference games the first few weeks of the season makes me yearn for the opening kickoff even more, even though, as a huge baseball fan, I'm glad that the MLB season is under way.

Mac94
4/3/2008, 09:10 AM
Oklahoma's OOC is fine ... two BCS conference teams and a respectable mid major with only one "buy" win. Stoop's and company generally don't duck competition.

shaun4411
4/4/2008, 12:49 AM
i understand the complexities of scheduling. when i think marquee, i think of a top team. i think usc, i think lsu. yes i know of the unfortnate circumstance pitting two teams who may not be at the level they were when they originally scheduled this game. i didnt say ou doesnt have a good ooc this season. but it isnt marquee. like in 05 when texas and ohio state played. it would be fun to watch a usc play a lsu team during the season.

goingoneight
4/4/2008, 01:43 AM
shaun4411, we scheduled UW and Miami home-and-home after the 2001 season when UW finished 11-1 and UM finished 12-1 and went on to win 34 consecutive with two MNC visits. We don't duck competition, they just end up sucking badly when the time rolls around for them to visit Nompton. Come to think of it... WHY HAVEN'T WE scheduled USC yet? I think Petey could use a 4-7 season or two. :D

OU-HSV
4/5/2008, 09:03 AM
For the love of God I had to post in a thread that didn't say "Adarius Bowman" on it.
I'm sick of seeing it at the top.

From the games you mentioned I'm most interested in the following:
Aug. 30th Ill. vs. Mizzou

Sept. 6th Cinci vs. OU and Tenn at UCLA

Sept. 13th, good football day...hogs vs. whorns, KU vs. S. Fla., tOsu vs. Succ, OU vs. wash cheatin azz pac10..I mean if you aren't excited about this day of football, you must have no testes.

Sept. 20th, KState vs. Lville, wvga vs. CU

Sept. CU vs. FSU and va. tech vs. huskers.

To me including neuter dame in any "Big Games" isn't accurate. I could be wrong, maybe they'll have a complete turnaround...but I doubt it.
Great thread though. Thanks for posting it.

OU-HSV
4/5/2008, 09:06 AM
shaun4411...in case you live under a rock, Oklahoma has scheduled Alabama, Miami, Washington, Tennessee, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and LSU. To name a few.

And the Florida State Fighting Criminoles to if I'm not mistaken.
Surely they'll be improving soon

Charla
4/5/2008, 04:50 PM
And don't forget those powerhouses like Tulsa and Univ. of N Tx.

OU-HSV
4/6/2008, 01:01 AM
And don't forget those powerhouses like Tulsa and Univ. of N Tx.
:confused:
Tulsa didn't turn out too bad

kevpks
4/6/2008, 09:54 AM
Why is OSU playing Washington St. in Seattle? Are the Aggies afraid they wouldn't be able to find Pullman? It is not that hard really. Just point yourself towards nowhere and keep driving till you reach the middle.

King Crimson
4/6/2008, 10:11 AM
Why is OSU playing Washington St. in Seattle? Are the Aggies afraid they wouldn't be able to find Pullman? It is not that hard really. Just point yourself towards nowhere and keep driving till you reach the middle.

i think Wazzou plays "home" games in Seattle on a semi-regular basis to appeal to "city slicker" alums and make a presence for recruiting/fund raising etc.

Ruuuuuufus
4/6/2008, 02:19 PM
UNT, Tulsa, Middle Tennessee St, Utah St, none of them are close to as bad as our opening opponent this year. There is no excuse for playing a DI-AA (championship subdivision, whatever) team. That game spot opened when they added the 12th game to the season right? Surely we could have found one of the other 115ish teams to play with 2.5 years notice. Tennessee-Chattanooga wasn't even a good DI-AA team last year (a la AppSt)... they won 2 games all season. This isn't the SEC and we shouldn't be scheduling patsies like this.

kevpks
4/6/2008, 06:37 PM
i think Wazzou plays "home" games in Seattle on a semi-regular basis to appeal to "city slicker" alums and make a presence for recruiting/fund raising etc.

I think OSU could learn something from that. They should start playing "home" games in a place with more visibility. Maybe Jenks can loan them their stadium.

SoonersEnFuego
4/6/2008, 08:21 PM
...or Union

goingoneight
4/6/2008, 11:38 PM
... long as that home, orange tard garb never takes OUr field, it's all good.

MiccoMacey
4/7/2008, 08:49 AM
UNT, Tulsa, Middle Tennessee St, Utah St, none of them are close to as bad as our opening opponent this year. There is no excuse for playing a DI-AA (championship subdivision, whatever) team. That game spot opened when they added the 12th game to the season right? Surely we could have found one of the other 115ish teams to play with 2.5 years notice. Tennessee-Chattanooga wasn't even a good DI-AA team last year (a la AppSt)... they won 2 games all season. This isn't the SEC and we shouldn't be scheduling patsies like this.

Agreed. But if this is a one time thing, I can handle it. I don't think Joe C's scheduled any others since Bob's first year. Once every nine years is enough and still forgiveable.

Salt City Sooner
4/7/2008, 10:10 AM
That's just it, we didn't HAVE 2.5 years notice. We had a FBS opponent (the rumor I've heard was Memphis, but that's not confirmed, as Joe C. wouldn't publicly identify the team, just that they were FBS) lined up, & they backed out just 2-3 months ago.

Tear Down This Wall
4/7/2008, 01:45 PM
The Washington series was inked by Steve Owens when he was AD, not Joe C. in 2001. Joe C. would have been angling for Eastern Washington.

Ruuuuuufus
4/7/2008, 02:39 PM
That's just it, we didn't HAVE 2.5 years notice. We had a FBS opponent (the rumor I've heard was Memphis, but that's not confirmed, as Joe C. wouldn't publicly identify the team, just that they were FBS) lined up, & they backed out just 2-3 months ago.

No one had signed a contract in those 2.5 years. Until another team signs it is just conjecture.

redpurple
4/7/2008, 06:09 PM
WAY TO LOOK PAST TCU LIKE WHAT HAPPENED 2 YEARS AGO! IF THE PLAYERS HAVE THE SAME MINDSET THEN IT COULD GET UGLY