PDA

View Full Version : willie warren in the mcd's AA game...

Collier11
3/26/2008, 10:05 PM
...playing pretty well, led the west in scoring at the Half

birddog
3/26/2008, 10:12 PM
yeah, first time i've seen him play. now i know why people are so stoked about him being a sooner. dude can ball.

birddog
3/26/2008, 10:21 PM
ww still leading scorer with 19.

stoopified
3/26/2008, 10:47 PM
Finished the game with 24.Apparently nobody noticed,at least not in the booth.Gootlieb said after WW hit a late three:WILLIE WARREN HAS 24?<WOW IT WAS A QUIET 24.IMHO the analysts were so busy sniffing the jocks of the players going to NAME schools,they just overlooked WW.

In fairness to Gottlieb,he DID say OU should be really good with WW and Blake next year.

SleestakSooner
3/26/2008, 10:51 PM
Nice, you know the Liebgotter had to hate having to state that out loud. But them Aggy eat their own and I don't think he's too proud to be one these days anyhow.

stoopified
3/26/2008, 11:05 PM
Pne other thing of note from the game,WW creates and scores but just as in the Texas title game he showed that is more of an offguard than a point.That ties in with a lot I have heard about him from theexperts.I think he will play shooting guard at OU because 1)We need his scoring and 2)scoring and creating in the open floor and off the drive seems very much to be his strength.

To anyone thinking of throwing themselves off a bridge at the thought of AJ running point,relax and take a deep breath.AJ haS A CREER 2-1 ASSIST TO TURNOVER RATIO FOR HIS CAREER.By contrast the ballyhooed Scottie Reynold is 1-1 in turnover ratio(this yera,can't find career stats.If AJ continues to play adequate at point and Warren can create offense and take some of the load from AJ we can be very good next year.Aftewr this gameI am even more excited bout next year.

Collier11
3/26/2008, 11:15 PM
scoring a "quiet 24" is a good thing IMO, and Im not worried about AJ's turnovers, he just doesnt have the quickness to break down D's and that concerns me because we have to be able to get the ball to Blake without him just posting up every play

Frozen Sooner
3/27/2008, 12:05 AM
Quannas White wasn't particularly fast. He did have the luxury of a great scorer at the two.

Possibly we can see that kind of combo with Warren and Johnson next year.

Collier11
3/27/2008, 12:08 AM
Quannas White wasn't particularly fast. He did have the luxury of a great scorer at the two.

warrens explosiveness really could possibly make AJ more dangerous with his shooting ability

Does anyone know what kind of player Allen is supposed to be down low, is he a Amare type or a post up type, A pure athlete, defensive stopper, etc...?

Jay C. Upchurch
3/27/2008, 12:28 AM
Milwaukee — Showing why he is regarded as one of the most explosive scoring guards in the 2008 national recruiting class, Oklahoma signee Willie Warren netted a game-high 23 points in 22 minutes of action at the McDonald's All-American High School Game on Wednesday.

Unfortunately for Warren, his performance wasn't enough to lift his West team to victory as it fell 107-102 to the East squad at the Bradley Center.

Warren, who netted 14 points in the second half, scored 10 straight points for the West during a 10-2 run that reduced the East's lead from 10 points to two (82-80) with nine minutes left in the game. In addition to his 23 points, the 6-4 guard finished with two assists and three steals while going 11-for-17 from the field.

From Fort Worth, Texas, Warren was the only McDonald's Game participant who has signed with a Big 12 Conference school.

Warren was named the 2008 Gatorade Texas Boys' Basketball Player of the Year after averaging 24.9 points, 3.5 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 3.4 steals per game for the North Crowley Panthers. He led his squad to a 38-1 record and finished with 27 points and eight assists in a 73-67 Class 5A state title game victory over Fort Bend Dulles on March 8.

Warren has also been selected to participate in the Jordan Brand All-American Classic, to be played April 19 at 8 p.m. CDT inside New York City's Madison Square Garden (televised by ESPN2).

OU SID

Editor's Note: This should give Coach Capel another good reason to look forward to next season and beyond with the Sooners.

soonerfan28
3/27/2008, 08:25 AM
Does this help Blake decide to come back? We all know he didn't have consistent outside help, so Warren would take some pressure off of Blake if he comes back.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/27/2008, 08:26 AM

White was a physical, lock down defender though. He usually neutralized the other guard.

Warren looked like a true Combo guard to me. He certainly can play PG but I think he probably will play mostly 2. He can score in bunches.

I about fell out of my chair when I heard Gottlieb talking about how good we will be next year.

soonerfan28
3/27/2008, 08:35 AM
I know this has been brought up before, but how sweet would this lineup look.

PG - Scottie Reynolds
SG - Willie Warren
SF - Damion James
PF - Taylor Griffin
C - Blake Griffin

I know it's already been said that if we had got Reynolds we probably wouldn't have gotten Warren, but it would be sweet to see those 5 on the floor. I only have James at the 3 because he can shoot from the outside.

crawfish
3/27/2008, 09:18 AM
warrens explosiveness really could possibly make AJ more dangerous with his shooting ability

Does anyone know what kind of player Allen is supposed to be down low, is he a Amare type or a post up type, A pure athlete, defensive stopper, etc...?

I think Crocker is going to benefit the most from Warren, who'll draw double-teams in the backcourt. Should leave Tony open quite a bit, and he can be dangerous when he doesn't have to carry the game.

I'd be cautious about Allen - like Longar and Jabahri Brown, he's a guy who didn't play basketball until late, and will probably take some time to become productive. I think Wright and Cannon are the most likely to see major PT next year.

starrca23
3/27/2008, 09:55 AM
You guys will think I am crazy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Cade Davis and Wille Warren starting in the backcourt together. AJ doesn't seem to have the mental toughness that Coach Capel wants. I see Crocker getting a lot of minutes as well.

soonerfan28
3/27/2008, 10:07 AM
I don't think Warren would be best utilized at the point. I think he could be much better at the 2 and I think it will take pressure off of Johnson. I don't know that we have a whole lot of choices at the point. Cade and Crocker will probably play more of the 3 next year.

starrca23
3/27/2008, 10:59 AM
I respect that, heck i even agree with it. He is probably a better two than one. But here is my theory: He will be (by far) the best ball handler on the team. For the team to be successfull, we will need him to handle the rock. Let me defend this in two ways. One, take a look at Scottie Reynolds. Played two guard most of the year and couldn't get enough touches to be what he was last year. They moved him back to point and he has gone nuts. Two, Wille by himself would have handled the press that L'ville put on us better than our team did. What does it say about your point guard when you have Blake bringing the ball down the floor on multiple trips? My view isn't based on what WW will be best at, but rather what I think is best for the team as a whole.

Collier11
3/27/2008, 11:09 AM
I think Crocker is going to benefit the most from Warren, who'll draw double-teams in the backcourt. Should leave Tony open quite a bit, and he can be dangerous when he doesn't have to carry the game.

I'd be cautious about Allen - like Longar and Jabahri Brown, he's a guy who didn't play basketball until late, and will probably take some time to become productive. I think Wright and Cannon are the most likely to see major PT next year.

Thanks for the update, I have high expectations of Wright

Collier11
3/27/2008, 11:09 AM
I don't think Warren would be best utilized at the point. I think he could be much better at the 2 and I think it will take pressure off of Johnson. I don't know that we have a whole lot of choices at the point. Cade and Crocker will probably play more of the 3 next year.

At times he may be best at the 1 because he can penetrate the D whereas Omar and AJ cannot

primetime43
3/27/2008, 01:36 PM
Trust me when it comes down to crunch time he will be handling the ball. I can't wait to see this lineup next year: Warren, Davis, Crocker, T. Griffin, and B. Griffin.

Collier11
3/27/2008, 02:27 PM
Trust me when it comes down to crunch time he will be handling the ball.

noted

soonerfan28
3/27/2008, 02:42 PM
At times he may be best at the 1 because he can penetrate the D whereas Omar and AJ cannot

I agree with that and maybe he will do what Memphis guard Derrick Rose has done from the point.

soonerfan28
3/27/2008, 02:43 PM
Trust me when it comes down to crunch time he will be handling the ball. I can't wait to see this lineup next year: Warren, Davis, Crocker, T. Griffin, and B. Griffin.

I like that lineup also. It looks better with Warren at the point.

soonerfan28
3/31/2008, 02:50 PM
That's a pretty tall lineup. I like it.

adoniijahsooner
3/31/2008, 04:16 PM
After seeing willie warren play, his game reminds me alot of Derrick Rose from memphis; just overpowering small point guards and going to the rack at will.