PDA

View Full Version : Hey 4life...

soonerinabilene
3/26/2008, 09:26 PM
what do you think about Cleveland Hibore irons?

Cause I just bought me a set.;)

And I think they are teh win.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/26/2008, 09:28 PM
Did he ever tell you about the time he got a hole in one?

soonerinabilene
3/26/2008, 09:31 PM
I vaguely remember someone saying something about that, but they kept getting interrupted by someone who wouldnt shut up about killing a bobcat with a bow.;)

StoopTroup
3/26/2008, 09:32 PM
Some say the hole in one is an urban myth. :D

OU4LIFE
3/27/2008, 08:10 AM
Sorry I missed this, I was giving a hole-in-one clinic. My time is valuable when the weather is nice. :D

As for the irons, those are the ones that are essentially all hybrids, right? Dude if you like them, that the main thing. They should be easy to hit, and you should hit them high. Irons are a very personal thing you know...everybody has something that fits their eye. I prefer smaller iron heads, with less offset. So people prefer shovels with a lot of offset.

One piece of advice for the hybrids, swing them like you would an iron, not a fairway wood. You need to take a divot with them to make them work, just like an iron. The nice thing, with that wide sole, they should be pretty forgiving even if you don't catch it just right, they won't dig as much as a traditional iron.

Let me know how you like them.

Now, about that hole-in-one....

soonerinabilene
3/27/2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, they are full hybrids all the way to the wedge. They are not one of the progressive sets. I took them to the range last night and I have never hit straighter or farther with my 3, 4, 5, and 6. The 7,8,9, and pw are going to take some practice. The pro at the range came over and saw my new clubs and asked to hit one. He hit the 3 about 250 and just started laughing, saying soon he isnt going to have a job with clubs like this out there.

OU4LIFE
3/27/2008, 08:52 AM
if only I could hit my 3 iron 250.....

hell I'd settle for 225.

OU4LIFE
3/27/2008, 08:52 AM
if only I could hit my 3 iron 250.....

hell I'd settle for 225.

soonerinabilene
3/27/2008, 08:58 AM
id settle for 200 and straight, which is close to what I got last night with it.

fadada1
3/27/2008, 11:23 AM
don't know about the cleveland hibores yet.

but this is what i got coming to me shortly:

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5338/08prombimg0wo4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

OU4LIFE
3/27/2008, 11:25 AM
*BOING*

man, those are nice looking.

Wish I could afford something that swanky.

fadada1
3/27/2008, 11:46 AM
*BOING*

man, those are nice looking.

Wish I could afford something that swanky.

a few more holes-in-one and maybe you can get on staff. heck, they let me on staff with ZERO H-I-O.:D

StoopTroup
3/27/2008, 11:57 AM
HIO....

Where's my pencil?

I've got to add that to the list.

OU4LIFE
3/27/2008, 11:59 AM
you should attend my clinic.

fadada1
3/27/2008, 12:02 PM
you should attend my clinic.

is it free?

bada bing!!!

on a side note, the senior PGA (first major of the year for the old guys) is up at Oak Hill this year. We're going to have the trohpy here at Monroe GC for a few hours on our men's opening day. i'll be sure to get a pic or two for ya'll.

OU4LIFE
3/27/2008, 12:52 PM
for you, yes. But only because of the hat.

Can you get a pic of you holding it like you just won it? that would be sweet.

I have a similar story of that involving the Golden Hat trophy for the RRR game...

fadada1
3/27/2008, 12:54 PM
Can you get a pic of you holding it like you just won it? that would be sweet.

that's the plan of attack.

OU4LIFE
3/31/2008, 07:32 AM
when is men's opening day?

How much longer do I have to wait?

Why am I losing distance?

fadada1
4/1/2008, 08:37 AM
"your left arm is straight, but you're not keeping your head down."

OU4LIFE
4/1/2008, 08:41 AM
"not keeping your head down" might be the worst golf tip ever. Every time i hear someone say that I cringe.

OU4LIFE
4/1/2008, 08:46 AM
and actually, My sequencing is way out of whack...that's what's causing me to lose some distance. I'm pretty good sized, and my swing arc is pretty wide, and while i'm not the most flexible guy I know, I can get my left shoulder under my chin, for a full turn, so I SHOULD be putting it out there a mile.

BUT, I have always struggled with starting my swing from the top, thanks to my body shape...that feels really powerful but isn't. and it's a very hard habit to break.

I think I'm trying to change too many things all at once, I'm trying to get my ball position more forward, AND fix my sequencing. I have a casting problem, or an early release problem, whatver you want to call it....and I think fixing my sequencing will help that.

and there you go, more than you ever wanted to know.

OU4LIFE
4/1/2008, 08:47 AM
oh and my favorite color is red, and I like to play CS:Source during the winter.

sooneron
4/1/2008, 08:51 AM
I'm lucky if I get 210 outta my tres. Odd, I can get 205ish outta the fo'.

sooneron
4/1/2008, 08:55 AM
I think 4life's issue is not letting gravity start the club head.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/1/2008, 08:55 AM
I'm pretty good sized, and my swing arc is pretty wide, and while i'm not the most flexible guy I know, I can get my left shoulder under my chin, for a full turn...

http://lolcat.com/pics/relavanttomyinterests.jpg

fadada1
4/1/2008, 12:32 PM
work on your release. if i feel like my timing/release is off, i swing about 50% (on the range) and work on ball striking. in other words, try to hit your 8 iron about 100 yards with a full length swing. focus on the release of your hands right at the point of impact. if you're casting, your release is (probably) early in your downswing, and you'll lose tons of power. might as well kick theball donw the fairway.

as you do this, the ball will start to "pop" more and more for you. you'll start striping the ball with no effort. as long as you focus on your release, and NOT casting from the top, you should see some improvement. REALLY concentrate on hitting about 50%.

sooneron
4/1/2008, 12:34 PM
I almost always swing 50% on the range. I try to mimic or visualize D Toms' swing. It aint pretty, but his rhythm is hella good and his swing is pretty damn consistent.

fadada1
4/1/2008, 12:52 PM
I almost always swing 50% on the range. I try to mimic or visualize D Toms' swing. It aint pretty, but his rhythm is hella good and his swing is pretty damn consistent.

good one to pick. although he's playing pretty crappy as of late. other good ones - freddy (obviously), goosen, VJ.

sooneron
4/1/2008, 01:14 PM
good one to pick. although he's playing pretty crappy as of late. other good ones - freddy (obviously), goosen, VJ.

I like Toms' better than Vj's. His is more compact. I haven't studied enough of Goosens to consider it. Must take a look...
I think I've only seen it broken down like once.

SoonerAcesUp
4/1/2008, 07:15 PM
I love me some golf threads!!! I think I just cut half a stroke off my score by just reading this thread.

SoonerAcesUp
4/1/2008, 07:18 PM
fadada and 4Life should have their own "golf-tip-a-day" thread.

sooneron
4/1/2008, 08:34 PM
fadada and 4Life should have their own "golf-tip-a-day" thread.

You should head on out to Hillcrest.:texan:

OU4LIFE
4/2/2008, 07:28 AM
Update: Your tip helped. Helped with my timing some.

After some range work, I also noticed I was coming over the top some, always been a fault for me, mostly cause I'm thick through the chest and it feels powerful, well OTT also makes me release early. SOOO, long story short, I was taking the club back a little too far to the inside, which forced me to go OTT to not hit a smothered hook. So I worked on taking it back a tiny bit outside the line, and this allowed me to drop the club to the inside on the downswing and VIOLA! instantly better ball striking, flight and distance.

Promptly went out and threw up a nice even par 9 holes on freshly aerated greens. I'm ok with that right now. Still need LOTS of work. But I will get there.

Turd_Ferguson
4/2/2008, 07:53 AM
"not keeping your head down" might be the worst golf tip ever. Every time i hear someone say that I cringe.elaborate please.....although I don't tell my son to "Keep his head down", I do tell him to keep his eye on the ball all the way through the swing. He has a beautiful natural swing, and strikes the ball very well. However, he has a tendency to want to see the ball flight before he hits it.

sooneron
4/2/2008, 07:57 AM
elaborate please.....although I don't tell my son to "Keep his head down", I do tell him to keep his eye on the ball all the way through the swing. He has a beautiful natural swing, and strikes the ball very well. However, he has a tendency to want to see the ball flight before he hits it.

Head still and watch where the ball had been after he hits it before looking up first.

OU4LIFE
4/2/2008, 08:14 AM
eye on the ball or head still is fine, but head DOWN is bad mmmkay. Need to have room to move the shoulders under your chin, can't do that with your head down.

Sounds like you are doing fine with what you are telling him.

sooneron
4/2/2008, 08:17 AM
don't forget to tell him to just "be the ball".

OU4LIFE
4/2/2008, 08:20 AM
Danny

Mixer!
4/2/2008, 08:21 AM
nanananananananananananaaa...........

SoonerAcesUp
4/2/2008, 08:30 AM
You should head on out to Hillcrest.:texan:

Here in B'ville?

OU4LIFE
4/3/2008, 08:42 AM
way to leave him hanging ron. nice going.

another update: No more hole-in-ones. But then I haven't played since Tuesday. Maybe today after work if it's not raining.

sooneron
4/3/2008, 09:33 AM
Here in B'ville?

Well yeah, that is YOUR location.

sooneron
4/3/2008, 09:34 AM
way to leave him hanging ron. nice going.

another update: No more hole-in-ones. But then I haven't played since Tuesday. Maybe today after work if it's not raining.

You're still ****ed about your little putt putt game aren't ya?:texan:

OU4LIFE
4/3/2008, 09:49 AM
not as much as you might think.

I know, in the real world, I'd be all up in your wallet. ;)

sooneron
4/3/2008, 09:55 AM
not as much as you might think.

I know, in the real world, I'd be all up in your wallet. ;)

I'm heading to the range today. I'll see if I can get 225 out of my 3, shorty. :D

OU4LIFE
4/3/2008, 10:08 AM
you do that, i'll be working on my wedges.

"nice 3 iron to 45 feet, now watch me slide this wedge in there to 3"

SoonerAcesUp
4/3/2008, 10:09 AM
Well yeah, that is YOUR location.

There are way too many Hillcrests. We have the country club here in B'ville that I can't afford to be a member of. And then there's Hillcrest just up the road in Coffeyville that I've played a few times. I've played the Hillcrest in B'ville twice with a co-worker who is a member and it's nice so I wish I could afford the dues.