PDA

View Full Version : Random assed question for old school Tulsa peeps

JohnnyMack
3/26/2008, 08:59 PM
Back in the day at the Fontana shopping center (5 1 and Memorial), right next to the Fontana 6 theaters there was a sci-fi, comic book, record shop dork kind of place. Seems like it was Peaches and Starbase 21 all rolled into one.

Do any of you nerds remember the name of it?

bri
3/26/2008, 09:00 PM
I wanna say there used to be a Sound Warehouse there, but I could be wrong.

I'm not wrong about the Games People Play on the other side of the theater, where I totally rocked some old school console gaming. :D

yermom
3/26/2008, 09:04 PM
Vintage Stock?

Starbase brings back some memories... i basically stopped going there once i found Wizard's Asylum though

Sooner_Havok
3/26/2008, 09:04 PM
I read that as Beck in the day at first. That beck concert up in T Town was righteous

bri
3/26/2008, 09:06 PM
No, this was years before Vintage Stock started up.

I can remember the layout of the place - you walked in the door and they had all the baseball/collector's cards right there, then you could either go up a few steps to one section (prolly the comix) or down another little flight to look at the records.

Good times.

JohnnyMack
3/26/2008, 09:06 PM
I wanna say there used to be a Sound Warehouse there, but I could be wrong.

I'm not wrong about the Games People Play on the other side of the theater, where I totally rocked some old school console gaming. :D

Oh I know I wasn't the only one who kicked some Yie Ar Kung Fu *** up in that mutha.

JohnnyMack
3/26/2008, 09:07 PM
No, this was years before Vintage Stock started up.

I can remember the layout of the place - you walked in the door and they had all the baseball/collector's cards right there, then you could either go up a few steps to one section (prolly the comix) or down another little flight to look at the records.

Good times.

Yes!

I remember piling through all the Star Wars **** with my Dad while we were waiting for the movie to start.

bri
3/26/2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah, but did you do it after catching a matinee screening of Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo? :D

JohnnyMack
3/26/2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah, but did you do it after catching a matinee screening of Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo? :D

Naw dawg, I saw that up at the Annex. After I kicked some 1942 *** at Funway Freeway.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/26/2008, 09:13 PM
for a $1? you betcha i did.

bri
3/26/2008, 09:16 PM
Naw dawg, I saw that up at the Annex. After I kicked some 1942 *** at Funway Freeway.

Feh, the Annex. I only went to see fancy movies at the Annex: Jaws 3-D, Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter, Splash, so on and so forth.

I saw Empire Strikes Back for the first time at that little twin-screen that was in the same lot as the Annex. What the hell was that one called?

yermom
3/26/2008, 09:20 PM
you guys are old :D i'm pretty sure i saw Breakin 2 in elementary school. literally IN my elementary school. some parents complained, it was funny (one of the rare good memories of Eisenhower)

i'm trying to place the Annex. where was that?

bri
3/26/2008, 09:22 PM
you guys are old :D i'm pretty sure i saw Breakin 2 in elementary school. literally IN my elementary school. some parents complained, it was funny (one of the rare good memories of Eisenhower)

i'm trying to place the Annex. where was that?

41st and Yale, where that block of stores with Vintage Stock and Friday's are now. The twin-screen cinema (I think it was called "the Cinema") was where the Circuit City is now, I think.

StoopTroup
3/26/2008, 09:29 PM
Bri...that theatre was called Southroads Cinema. They later expanded it from 2 screen to around 10 or 11 I think.

The place at Fontana definitely was a Peaches. Then it changed names to something else.

Embassy Suites by Drysdales Clothing on Memorial was the site of the 1 screen Continental Theatre. That was the shiznit back in the day until the Boman Twin at 31 & Sheridan (Currently Laser Quest).

bri
3/26/2008, 09:33 PM
Remember that old 3-screen on either 21st or 31st, on either Mingo or Garnett? I saw Gremlins and The Last Starfighter out there. One of the video games in the lobby was busted open and some bunch of punks was just reaching in and giving themselves unlimited games. *******s. :mad:

yermom
3/26/2008, 09:33 PM
speaking of old school Tulsa stuff... what was the other toy store in the malls other than Kay Bee back in the day?

bri
3/26/2008, 09:34 PM
Balls, that I cannot remember.

StoopTroup
3/26/2008, 09:38 PM
Remember that old 3-screen on either 21st or 31st, on either Mingo or Garnett?

I think that was called The Plaza. It got hit by a tornado once.

I watched all 5 Planet of the Apes movies there in one day when I was a kid.

StoopTroup
3/26/2008, 09:39 PM
speaking of old school Tulsa stuff... what was the other toy store in the malls other than Kay Bee back in the day?

Other than Spencers Gifts...I can't remember a pure Toy Store.

yermom
3/26/2008, 09:40 PM
for some reason that has been driving me nuts for a couple months

http://www.nautical-marine-instruments.com/gifs/SKMSWL6006-sm.jpg

yermom
3/26/2008, 09:41 PM
Other than Spencers Gifts...I can't remeber a pure Toy Store.

seems like it had some movie/cinema related name

JohnnyMack
3/26/2008, 09:43 PM
At the Promenade? Circus Time?

I remember getting chased by security when one of my friends set off a smoke bomb in that place.

JohnnyMack
3/26/2008, 09:44 PM
Circus World.

yermom
3/26/2008, 09:45 PM
that doesn't sound right... hmm

JohnnyMack
3/26/2008, 09:47 PM
The toy store on the lower level of the Promenade between where the old theater (which is now just stores) and Dillard's was Circus World. I'm 99.9% sure of it.

bri
3/26/2008, 09:50 PM
for some reason that has been driving me nuts for a couple months

http://www.nautical-marine-instruments.com/gifs/SKMSWL6006-sm.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3070/2365648436_99e5790b44_o.gif

yermom
3/26/2008, 09:50 PM
The toy store on the lower level of the Promenade between where the old theater (which is now just stores) and Dillard's was Circus World. I'm 99.9% sure of it.

i'm not saying you are wrong, that's just not ringing a bell. if that's right, i'm pretty sure i never would have come up with that

Whet
3/26/2008, 10:00 PM
I just remember the bar/restaurant Butterfields at that shopping center. (aka Buttersluts)

KC//CRIMSON
3/26/2008, 10:07 PM
Remember that old 3-screen on either 21st or 31st, on either Mingo or Garnett? I saw Gremlins and The Last Starfighter out there. One of the video games in the lobby was busted open and some bunch of punks was just reaching in and giving themselves unlimited games. *******s. :mad:

It was the Plaza 3. I saw Doc Savage there. God that was forever ago.

bri
3/26/2008, 10:08 PM
Of course it was. That's why it's nostalga. :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/26/2008, 10:14 PM
Tammy Linn?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/26/2008, 10:16 PM
Tammy Linn?

Nevermind - that was a clothes/toy store.

Carry on, Tulsa peeps.

Pricetag
3/26/2008, 10:35 PM
I saw Krull at the Bowman Twin, 31st and Sheridan.

JohnnyMack
3/26/2008, 10:36 PM

Top Gun for me.

Whet
3/26/2008, 10:39 PM
I saw 2001. A Space Odyssey at the Continental Theater with Mazeppa and Bob Brown.

bri
3/26/2008, 10:44 PM

I saw Krull at the theater in Muskogee that was in the strip center with the Anthony's and Wal-Mart. For the life of me, I still have no idea why the hell my friend's mom drove us all the way down there to see it.

frankensooner
3/27/2008, 09:32 AM
Ah, the Muskogee Twin at Curts Mall. Now you are talking. I saw lots of good movies there like Rollercoaster in SENSURROUND!!!! There wasn't a Wal Mart there but a Gibsons and later a TG&Y Super Center. There was an Anthony's though.

Or are you talking about the Trans Lux on the other side of town? There was the old Wal Mart there, but no Anthony's.

Mjcpr
3/27/2008, 09:42 AM
Ah, the Muskogee Twin at Curts Mall. Now you are talking. I saw lots of good movies there like Rollercoaster in SENSURROUND!!!! There wasn't a Wal Mart there but a Gibsons and later a TG&Y Super Center.

And later, AIM.

frankensooner
3/27/2008, 09:46 AM
Well AIM for the Best became TG&Y Supercenter. AIM for the Best was TG&Y's answer to Wal Mart, only too little too late. I worked for AFTB and TG&Y in Highschool and my first year of college.

You might have checked out through one of my lines. I wore a nametag that said FRANKLIN. ;)

texas bandman
3/27/2008, 10:22 AM
Yeah The good ole days of TG&Y's and Humpty supermarkets.

Widescreen
3/27/2008, 10:28 AM
It was the Plaza 3. I saw Doc Savage there. God that was forever ago.

I can only remember seeing ET and one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies there. It wasn't too close to where we lived so we usually went to either the Southroads Cinema or The Annex.

bri
3/27/2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks to the renovation of the Circle Cinema as an "arthouse" theater, I'm pretty sure that I've now seen a movie at just about every theater ever opened in Tulsa over the past three decades. :D

And yeah, Muskogee Twin's the one. I'm not that grand on the retail layout of Muskogee so I was just rattling off standard mid-80's stores.

Williesan
3/27/2008, 01:04 PM

That was at 21st/Garnett - I remember seeing "The Karate Kid" there.

:eek: Does this mean I'm "old school" now?

Williesan

KC//CRIMSON
3/27/2008, 01:44 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0f/Airport_77_movie_poster.jpg/200px-Airport_77_movie_poster.jpg

for me.

JohnnyMack
3/27/2008, 04:06 PM
I remember walking to the General Cinema next to Southroads with my Dad on a rainy Saturday morning to see Empire Strikes Back.

bri
3/27/2008, 04:07 PM
Must not have been the same day I saw it with my dad, then. I remember it being sunny when we emerged.

Pricetag
3/27/2008, 04:12 PM
I don't remember how the weather was that day, but I was dang glad to be there. My dad didn't tell us we were going, and I remember pulling off the road and seeing the title on the sign, and hoping desparately that we weren't heading for Oshman's instead.

bri
3/27/2008, 04:16 PM
I may be thinking about the time we saw one of the Star Wars re-releases there and they had a "sneak preview" of Empire, though. I get confused sometimes 'cause I'm old and sh*t.

JohnnyMack
3/27/2008, 04:21 PM
I don't remember how the weather was that day, but I was dang glad to be there. My dad didn't tell us we were going, and I remember pulling off the road and seeing the title on the sign, and hoping desparately that we weren't heading for Oshman's instead.

I worked at that Oshman's for a couple of summers. Sold shoes. It ruled.

yermom
3/27/2008, 04:40 PM
I may be thinking about the time we saw one of the Star Wars re-releases there and they had a "sneak preview" of Empire, though. I get confused sometimes 'cause I'm old and sh*t.

i was there for that. it ruled.

i don't really remember them jacking with Empire much now, actually. i remember stuff in ANH and Jedi that ****ed me off, but not really with Empire

Widescreen
3/27/2008, 04:59 PM
I remember walking to the General Cinema next to Southroads with my Dad on a rainy Saturday morning to see Empire Strikes Back.

My mom's car broke down in the SouthLand parking lot so she let me walk across the street and see it while the car was being worked on (Sears at SouthLand actually still worked on cars at the time).

bri
3/27/2008, 05:36 PM
i was there for that. it ruled.

i don't really remember them jacking with Empire much now, actually. i remember stuff in ANH and Jedi that ****ed me off, but not really with Empire

No dude, not that "Special Edition" crap. I'm talking about the 1979 re-release of Star Wars that had a special "sneak preview" trailer for Empire. Hell, when I was a kid, they were re-releasing either Star Wars or Empire every year, it seemed. It was tits. :D

KC//CRIMSON
3/27/2008, 06:33 PM

Saw it the day it opened at the same theater. Waited in line for three hours and the line wrapped around the theater twice. Thought for sure we would not get in on the first showing.

It was so bad azz, we stayed inside and watched it again.:D

Back to back, old school!

Whet
3/27/2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks to the renovation of the Circle Cinema as an "arthouse" theater, I'm pretty sure that I've now seen a movie at just about every theater ever opened in Tulsa over the past three decades. :D

That includes: Delman -15th & Lewis; Will Rogers - 11th St across from Bill White Chevrolet (between Pittsburg and Yale); and Orphian in downtown Tulsa?

bri
3/27/2008, 06:59 PM
Saw it the day it opened at the same theater. Waited in line for three hours and the line wrapped around the theater twice. Thought for sure we would not get in on the first showing.

Seems like almost every time I went to see something as a kid down at the Allred, there was a line that stretched around the block. Nothing more nerve-wracking than having to wonder if you're gonna make it up to the box office before they sell out. :D

yermom
3/27/2008, 07:00 PM
No dude, not that "Special Edition" crap. I'm talking about the 1979 re-release of Star Wars that had a special "sneak preview" trailer for Empire. Hell, when I was a kid, they were re-releasing either Star Wars or Empire every year, it seemed. It was tits. :D

heh.

yeah, i saw all of the originals in the theater, but i was too young to really remember where i saw them

BudSooner
3/27/2008, 07:41 PM
Hmmmm, does anyone actually mean Plaza 3 at 31st&129th?

Walking Tall was a movie we had just gone to see, the day after that was when the place was hit by the ternader.

bri
3/27/2008, 07:45 PM
yeah, i saw all of the originals in the theater, but i was too young to really remember where i saw them

Let's see...I saw Star Wars the first few times at the Allred in Pryor, Empire at the General Cinema, and Jedi at the old Woodland Cinema on opening day. I still have the program they were selling somewhere around the house.

JohnnyMack
3/27/2008, 08:06 PM
Jedi at the old Woodland Cinema on opening day. I still have the program they were selling somewhere around the house.

I bought a "Revenge of the Jedi" poster years ago from a guy who lives up in Seattle who confessed that he worked for the movie poster distribution company and that he stole the boxes of the posters and quit his job. :D I now proudly display the fenced goods on the wall of my office.

Fraggle145
3/27/2008, 08:16 PM
Vintage Stock?

Starbase brings back some memories... i basically stopped going there once i found Wizard's Asylum though

Wizards... heh that brings back some Magic memories ;)

jthomasou78
3/27/2008, 08:42 PM
Back to the original question I dont remember the name but I bought many a pack of Garbage Pail Kids in there. And I rocked Arch Rivalsand Gauntlet at Games People Play.

bri
3/27/2008, 08:45 PM
I bought a "Revenge of the Jedi" poster years ago from a guy who lives up in Seattle who confessed that he worked for the movie poster distribution company and that he stole the boxes of the posters and quit his job. :D I now proudly display the fenced goods on the wall of my office.

Damn, score. That's a nice bit of memorabilia investment right there.

Hell, I'd settle for being able to find a reprint of the Revenge advance.

yermom
3/27/2008, 09:06 PM
Wizards... heh that brings back some Magic memories ;)

heh. i was mainly looking for D&D stuff back then

Jimmy and the crew at Wizards was trying to get me to buy Spellfire when i first bought Magic cards :eek:

bri
3/27/2008, 09:32 PM
Did they put on their robes and wizard hats?

StoopTroup
3/27/2008, 09:54 PM
Did they put on their robes and wizard hats?

Fixed. :D

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/188/wizardsqe5.jpg

yermom
3/27/2008, 09:59 PM
i really need to get a robe and wizard hat

Pricetag
3/27/2008, 10:38 PM
I saw. . .Jedi at the old Woodland Cinema on opening day. I still have the program they were selling somewhere around the house.
That's where I saw it. My school actually took us on a field trip to see it. It wasn't opening day, but there was still a huge line. The school had managed to get tickets in advance, so we were able to cruise right on in.

bri
3/27/2008, 11:06 PM
Tits! The coolest movie-related thing my school ever did was show The Black Hole one year instead of the usual Benji crap they'd always give us at the end of the year. :D

Widescreen
3/28/2008, 12:50 PM
Tits! The coolest movie-related thing my school ever did was show The Black Hole one year instead of the usual Benji crap they'd always give us at the end of the year. :D

Did it spark a discussion of the existence of hell and the likelihood that you can travel through black holes to get there?

bri
3/28/2008, 02:00 PM
No, it just sparked free popcorn for everyone and a recess while they switched reels.

picasso
3/28/2008, 02:07 PM
I didn't read the entire thread but Peaches was just south of 51st across from the Farm. It was never at the Fontana. and it was strictly music before it became Blockbuster. never was a dork store.

bri
3/28/2008, 02:10 PM
I wonder if they still have the mini-"Walk of Fame" in front of the building now that it's a furniture store?

M
3/28/2008, 02:14 PM
I wonder if they still have the mini-"Walk of Fame" in front of the building now that it's a furniture store?

FINALLY something in this thread that sounds familiar to me. I remember that! ;)

bri
3/28/2008, 02:17 PM
Glad I could find a way to bring you into the conversation, whippersnapper. ;)

bobford
1/29/2014, 12:28 PM
I had the Comic Store at that location. It was called Posters, Games, Etc. and we had comics, posters, albums, collectible Star wars and Star Trek as well as Doctor Who.

bobford
1/29/2014, 12:30 PM
Back in the day at the Fontana shopping center (5 1 and Memorial), right next to the Fontana 6 theaters there was a sci-fi, comic book, record shop dork kind of place. Seems like it was Peaches and Starbase 21 all rolled into one.

I had the Comic Store at that location. It was called Posters, Games, Etc. and we had comics, posters, albums, collectible Star wars and Star Trek as well as Doctor Who.

bobford
1/29/2014, 12:32 PM
Back to the original question I dont remember the name but I bought many a pack of Garbage Pail Kids in there. And I rocked Arch Rivalsand Gauntlet at Games People Play.

I think I might remember you. You had to be maybe 13 at that time. Right? :-)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/29/2014, 01:10 PM
Define sad -> I remember more about the places in this thread than I do about posting in it :(

OU68
1/29/2014, 03:47 PM
Anyone remember Brewsters on Peoria?

Breadburner
1/29/2014, 04:06 PM
Funway FreeWay.......!!!

GDC
1/29/2014, 09:43 PM
I got lost in the Oertle's on Memorial near 31st and panicked and hid in a clothes rack. This was early to mid 1970s so I was 7 or 8 years old. Casa Bonita and a movie in Tulsa was a big deal for us as kids. I also remember going to a science fiction/comic book convention at the old Camelot Hotel many years ago.

ouwasp
2/2/2014, 01:25 AM
Back to the OP, I'm pretty sure it was not a Peaches. Went there a couple times. Once, as I was leaving, a scared looking female clerk asked me to raise up my shirt, as she thought I had shoplifted an item. (It was a Sooner shirt btw)

Of course, I was innocent...and I was also very shy. I just wish I could have thought of something clever to say to this pretty girl...but I just mutely obeyed her.

bobford
2/19/2014, 11:16 AM
I had that store. It was called Posters, Games, Etc.

bobford
2/19/2014, 11:19 AM
Peaches was at 51st and Sheridan. There was a Peaches in the same spot I had my comic store, next to the theater in the late '70s.

bobford
2/19/2014, 11:25 AM
I think I remember you! Did you and a tall friend used to come in and hang out? You have an older sister?

Dallasbabe
3/18/2014, 03:56 PM
im the older sister. but still very pretty and available