PDA

View Full Version : Oh wow, a trucker strike

Jerk
3/26/2008, 08:56 PM
Fox news in OKC is going to talk about the trucker strike and they went out and found a dude with a bald head AND a mullet. He'll probably end up having no teef and wearing fishnet stockings.

Why do they always do that?

JohnnyMack
3/26/2008, 08:57 PM
Sweet. What time will you be on?

:D

Jerk
3/26/2008, 08:58 PM

I have to admit, that made me laugh :)

olevetonahill
3/26/2008, 09:08 PM
I have to admit, that made me laugh :)

So answer the ?

Sooner_Havok
3/26/2008, 09:12 PM
Are the striking because of diesel being so high that many companies are starting to realize that they can transport their **** using existing rails and only use trucks on a more local basis?

SleestakSooner
3/26/2008, 09:13 PM

You so beat me to that one... it was just too easy Jerk:D

OUHOMER
3/26/2008, 09:14 PM
My agents are charging any where between 23 to 36% fuel surcharge.

Sooner_Havok
3/26/2008, 09:14 PM
My agents are charging any where between 23 to 36% fuel surcharge.

daum:eek:

SleestakSooner
3/26/2008, 09:15 PM
They are striking cuz we won the war, we got the fuelz and still the traders keep raisin the prices! I mean how many rag hedz we gotta whoop anywayz?

OUHOMER
3/26/2008, 09:19 PM
daum:eek:

its no problem, we just pass it on to you ;)

Jerk
3/26/2008, 09:21 PM
I don't know why any truck driver other than owner-operators would strike.

I really don't give a sh** what the price of fuel is because I'm not paying it. My company does, and then they pass the cost on to the customer.

Anyway - trucker joke: What do you call a lot lizard with a matress strapped to her back?

'Owner-operator'

Jerk
3/26/2008, 09:30 PM
Coming up next! This truck driver will tell us why he's so important and that without him you'd be naked and hungry.:rolleyes: Hey, uh, you're going to have to strike more than one measely day for the public to feel the affects.

Dude, just STFU and drive the damned truck.

Sooner_Havok
3/26/2008, 09:40 PM
Here is what I don't get about this. A 50 gallon barrel of oil sells for $109. for every barrel, you get about 23 gallons of gasoline and 8 gallons of diesel.

23/50=.46 so 46% of crude becomes gasoline. So 46% of a $109 barrel of oil is $50.14. $50.14 dollars for 23 gallons of gasoline, or $2.18 per gallon. That is with no profit for the refiners, and no taxes by the gubment man.

8/50=.16 So 16% of crude becomes diesel. 16% of a $109 barrel of oil is $17.44. So 8 gallons of diesel cost $17.44, or, again $2.18 a gallon without taxes and profit.

Smaller supply means that the companies will charge a higher price. Add into that the taxes and what not, and the prices seem pretty fair to me.

LosAngelesSooner
3/26/2008, 09:59 PM
Coming up next! This truck driver will tell us why he's so important and that without him you'd be naked and hungry.:rolleyes: Hey, uh, you're going to have to strike more than one measely day for the public to feel the affects.

Dude, just STFU and drive the damned truck.

Dude...seriously...how can the truckers afford to be on strike for so long?! I mean CLEARLY they are making WAY too much money and are spoiled. I feel sorry for the managers at the trucking companies! They give those guys jobs...and would NEVER take advantage of them. It's the freek market speaking, I say! They're asking for too much money...they've priced themselves out of the market! It's the manager's rights to go hire less expensive truckers!

Trucker strike...pshaw! I don't miss 'em. Clearer roads, I say. Who really needs truckers!?

I think those greedy truckers should get back to work or the owners should get some scabs to drive the trucks for them. We've got plenty of unemployed Asians and Latinos out here that LA could lend to the trucking companies as drivers. 'Course...they'd have to make the pedals longer...

;)

Sooner_Havok
3/26/2008, 10:01 PM
Striking for better wages = good

Striking because fuel prices are to high = questionable at best

mdklatt
3/26/2008, 10:16 PM
Striking because fuel prices are to high = questionable at best

Taking a bunch of semis off the road might lower fuel prices for the rest of us. Win!

Sooner_Havok
3/26/2008, 10:20 PM
Taking a bunch of semis off the road might lower fuel prices for the rest of us. Win!

For those 3 days, maybe. Any drop in prices will be erased once they all start driving again however. It's not like it will affect the price of oil either. What we don't consume, China and India will happily consume.

mdklatt
3/26/2008, 10:25 PM
For those 3 days, maybe. Any drop in prices will be erased once they all start driving again however.

I know, I was just pointing out the futility. At best, their strike will lower fuel prices only while they're not using any. :D

bonkuba
3/26/2008, 10:34 PM
I am against most strikes.....really trying to think of a strike that I was ever for.....hmmmm.....

Ayway, the price of fuel is way to high. I can see their point. The price of fuel is going up and up and the price of freight is staying the same. The public depends on trucks...no matter how you slice it. Rails can get the product in the vicinity....but trucks are needed to deliver....no question.

I talk to a lot of truckers being a tire dealer and believe me they are hurting. Our economy could not function without them. If they would all and I mean "ALL" strike for one day the effect would be huge.....but it will never happen.

Again, I have mixed feelings....hate strikes and Unions....but I do believe something has to be done about the price of fuel (Oil). There is NO reason for the pricing other than a few traders going "Hmmmmmm, let's set the price or futures at $$$$$$" There is no shortage of the stuff only shortage of brains and two many Middle Eastern folks in the mix (maybe drill here and build a refinery or two.....geeeeesh what a thought).

That is my short .02.....could go on forever.

Anyway, it all sucks no matter what.:mad:

:D :D :D

Whet
3/26/2008, 11:02 PM
In addition to speculators driving up the prices of oil (I would not be suprised if the convicted felon, George Soros, is some how involved), diesel fuel is competing with winter home heating oil. Diesel and home heating oil is the same...... so, in the winter, most of the supply goes to home heating oil rather than diesel fuel, thus driving up the costs.

goingoneight
3/27/2008, 01:16 AM
First off, I don't agree with any kind of driver's strike.

Secondly, you people are kidding yourselves if you think we're just fine in society without drivers. That's like the people who bitch about illegal Messicans, but like cheap labor. You can't have it both ways. Spend a day at most at a trucking company and you'll find that out. As for the lowering of fuel prices, howsaboot not letting so many damned fools with a pulse get a license to drive? Why do we still license 16yo kids? Why don't we test people more thoroughly (sp?)? Do you know how many people out there who can barely see, hear and have other impaired senses still drive daily? My grandpa for instance... every health problem you can imagine at 86 and he drives a Towncar with a giant gas-slurping V8. He's retired and uses more fuel than I do.

LosAngelesSooner
3/27/2008, 01:24 AM
First off, I don't agree with any kind of driver's strike.

Secondly, you people are kidding yourselves if you think we're just fine in society without drivers. That's like the people who bitch about illegal Messicans, but like cheap labor. You can't have it both ways. Spend a day at most at a trucking company and you'll find that out. As for the lowering of fuel prices, howsaboot not letting so many damned fools with a pulse get a license to drive? Why do we still license 16yo kids? Why don't we test people more thoroughly (sp?)? Do you know how many people out there who can barely see, hear and have other impaired senses still drive daily? My grandpa for instance... every health problem you can imagine at 86 and he drives a Towncar with a giant gas-slurping V8. He's retired and uses more fuel than I do.
:les:I'VE BEEN DRIVING SINCE BEFORE YOU WERE BORN!!!!

:eddie:YEAH!

Sooner_Havok
3/27/2008, 01:27 AM
Honestly, I equate this to any profession going on strike because of the weakening dollar. Makes about as much sense. Like was said earlier, the only people this affects are owner operators.

LosAngelesSooner
3/27/2008, 01:33 AM
Honestly, I equate this to any profession going on strike because of the weakening dollar. Makes about as much sense. Like was said earlier, the only people this affects are owner operators.It's the chain of command:

Owner: :hmfic:

Operators: :norm: :lub: :dean: :lwm: :bfc:

Monkey: succs

Dolemite: :dolemite:

tommieharris91
3/27/2008, 02:14 AM
Wow, this truck drivers' union is incredibly dumb and the people who are in charge of it should be relieved of duty.

First of all, no one should ever strike during a recession because people are losing their jobs. Since they can't use the fact that there is no one else around to do their job right now, their strike should be ineffective because there is plenty of labor (supposedly) around right now that would be willing to do that job and break the strike. If they were asking for higher wages, trucking company big wigs would just fire them with a smile on their face.

Second, why are they striking about something that is completely out of their control? This makes absolutely no sense to me. Striking over high oil prices? :confused:

Third, the weakening dollar isn't helping, but based on what I've heard, it doesn't have much to do with this. Yea sure, there is that whole inflation thing that truckers have had to deal with for about the past 40 years or so, but the people who run the union should know about these things. Inflation is also projected to be around 5% this year according to the last report I've seen, so there is a problem there. But this isn't anything near hyperinflation.

All in all, this has got to be one of the weakest premises I've seen for a strike.

LosAngelesSooner
3/27/2008, 07:11 PM
Yeah!

Truckers...

Vroom!

Whet
3/27/2008, 07:19 PM
Isn't the primary union representing truckers is the infamous Teamsters?

olevetonahill
3/27/2008, 08:05 PM
Dude...seriously...how can the truckers afford to be on strike for so long?! I mean CLEARLY they are making WAY too much money and are spoiled. I feel sorry for the managers at the trucking companies! They give those guys jobs...and would NEVER take advantage of them. It's the freek market speaking, I say! They're asking for too much money...they've priced themselves out of the market! It's the manager's rights to go hire less expensive truckers!

Trucker strike...pshaw! I don't miss 'em. Clearer roads, I say. Who really needs truckers!?

I think those greedy truckers should get back to work or the owners should get some scabs to drive the trucks for them. We've got plenty of unemployed Asians and Latinos out here that LA could lend to the trucking companies as drivers. 'Course...they'd have to make the pedals longer...

;)

Dude go back to writin yer Jehovah witness pamphlets
:cool:

Jerk
3/27/2008, 09:32 PM
Isn't the primary union representing truckers is the infamous Teamsters?

Only a small lot of them are union. Yellow Freight, UPS, and a handful of others.

This 'strike' is being done by owner-operators, not unions.

And it won't accomplish anything. One day of not working, and only 20% of the trucks participating won't do any harm. Now, if ALL of the truckers would stop working, by week two the grocery store shelves would be empty.

I've always believed that an effective strike would be to not haul anything to California. They have so many bullsh** rules their for semis. Split speed limits, 55 mph max, tighter emissions, aggressive enforcement of little knick nack sh*t. I think all of the drivers should haul to Parker, AZ, drop their freight, and say "here's your crap, come get it."

Half a Hundred
3/27/2008, 09:58 PM
Quit the truck line, join the railroad

<runs>

olevetonahill
3/27/2008, 10:03 PM
Only a small lot of them are union. Yellow Freight, UPS, and a handful of others.

This 'strike' is being done by owner-operators, not unions.

And it won't accomplish anything. One day of not working, and only 20% of the trucks participating won't do any harm. Now, if ALL of the truckers would stop working, by week two the grocery store shelves would be empty.

I've always believed that an effective strike would be to not haul anything to California. They have so many bullsh** rules their for semis. Split speed limits, 55 mph max, tighter emissions, aggressive enforcement of little knick nack sh*t. I think all of the drivers should haul to Parker, AZ, drop their freight, and say "here's your crap, come get it."

Serious question here Curt
Ya reckon if ALL the Truckers Did that .
The Cal peeps would Figure out a few things ?
and quit being so Liberal ?

r5TPsooner
3/27/2008, 10:21 PM
I seriously doubt that the towel heads in the Middle East give a damn what American think about the price of fuel.

tommieharris91
3/28/2008, 12:24 AM
I seriously doubt that the towel heads in the Middle East give a damn what American think about the price of fuel.
So true to the point that the Iranian oil futures are traded in euro now.

Sooner_Havok
3/28/2008, 12:38 AM
Can we join the EU?

Jimminy Crimson
3/28/2008, 03:07 AM
Fox news in OKC is going to talk about the trucker strike and they went out and found a dude with a bald head AND a mullet.

The correct term is skullet. :texan:

YWIA!

Jerk
3/28/2008, 05:36 AM
Serious question here Curt
Ya reckon if ALL the Truckers Did that .
The Cal peeps would Figure out a few things ?
and quit being so Liberal ?

Nah. Doubt it.

I'd like to see it happen just for the hell of it.

Mixer!
3/28/2008, 10:22 AM
It's the chain of command:

Owner: :hmfic:

Operators: :norm: :lub: :dean: :lwm: :bfc:

Monkey: succs

Dolemite: :dolemite:
Alright, that made me lauf.