PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Characters - UTF16 - .csv Files

SoonerInKCMO
3/26/2008, 05:01 PM
:mad: :mad:

So, I have to create some .csv files with data about our Chinese employees to send to some payroll vendors. In order to get the Chinese characters (names and addresses) to show up correctly, I've had to use UTF-16 encoding for the file (maybe some other encoding will work too... but I haven't found it). The characters show up fine but Excel doesn't recognize the .csv as... well, a .csv - opening up the file, I get all of the fields in a row in the first column. The commas are displayed just fine - they're just not making Excel put the data into separate columns.

Anyone have any ideas about how to fix this??

mdklatt
3/26/2008, 05:07 PM
Anyone have any ideas about how to fix this??

Try to import the file manually and indicate that it's comma delimited?

When you install Office, I think there's an option for non-Western language packs. Maybe you need to do that?

Chuck Bao
3/26/2008, 05:08 PM
Would there be a Chinese version of excel?

I know there is a Thai version and it automatically converts dates and stuff into Thai script and I can't stop it from doing that. Okay, that's my problem.

Have you tried downloading a Chinese version of excel? Surely, there is one that recognizes Chinese characters.

I'm assuming you can cut and paste in.

Typing in Chinese is a whole different kettle of fish.

StoopTroup
3/26/2008, 05:23 PM
After reading this...

Will I be hungry for more in an hour?

SoonerInKCMO
3/26/2008, 05:25 PM
Try to import the file manually and indicate that it's comma delimited?

When you install Office, I think there's an option for non-Western language packs. Maybe you need to do that?

I tried the manual import and it still didn't work correctly. However, I think trying that pointed me to the root of my problem - UTF16 isn't one of the supported file origins in my version of Excel.

Ooh - I fixed it. I also have a version of the file with UTF8 encoding... the characters didn't look correct originally (just double-clicking it open) but when I manually load it, they magically look correct.

Sweet! The Chinese peeps are gonna love me.