PDA

View Full Version : The latest reason you're so fat:

Mixer!
3/26/2008, 09:22 AM
CORN! (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=4439943)

I await RoyalFan to step up and knock these screwballs outta the yard. :pop:

Curly Bill
3/26/2008, 09:25 AM
I just knew my: "All corn, All the time" diet was gonna end up fail.

MojoRisen
3/26/2008, 09:26 AM
This come from ophrah? Oh well I guess the fuel won't mind bad calories!

SoonerInKCMO
3/26/2008, 09:27 AM
There is some interesting information on the commodification of HFCS and how fructose is metabolized differently than sucrose in Fat Land (http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Land-Americans-Became-Fattest/dp/B000TVIW6E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206541538&sr=1-1) - lends some credence to what the guys on GMA are saying.

Mixer!
3/26/2008, 10:06 AM
I agree that there's way too many products out there that contain HFCS or corn in some form or fashion; it's just that this comes off as a little too "Fast Food Nation" to be taken too seriously.

bri
3/26/2008, 10:14 AM
Corn pie?

Mixer!
3/26/2008, 10:26 AM
Feel your arteries hardening, Bri. (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pennsylvania-Dutch-Corn-Pie/Detail.aspx) ;)

bri
3/26/2008, 10:34 AM
Gack.

That's a waste of potential popcorn. :D

SoonerTerry
3/26/2008, 11:50 AM
I have evidence that corn passes right thru..

StoopTroup
3/26/2008, 11:53 AM
Some folks would lose more weight if they'd pull the corn cob outta their butt.

Hot Rod
3/26/2008, 12:09 PM
You know they call corn-on-the-cob, "corn-on-the-cob," but that's how it comes out of the ground. They should just call it corn, and every other type of corn, corn-off-the-cob. It's not like if someone cut off my arm they would call it "Mitch," and then re-attached it, and call it "Mitch-all-together."
-Mitch Hedburg

Curly Bill
3/26/2008, 02:15 PM
I have evidence that corn passes right thru..

at which point it resembles this: :texan:

Viking Kitten
3/26/2008, 02:27 PM
Feel your arteries hardening, Bri. (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pennsylvania-Dutch-Corn-Pie/Detail.aspx) ;)

That's not his arteries hardening. He's just happy to see me.

Chuck Bao
3/26/2008, 02:38 PM
Everything else is just a waste of good corn.

http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/pictures/georgia-moon-corn-whiskey.jpg

bri
3/26/2008, 02:43 PM
That's not his arteries hardening. He's just happy to see me.

Wang?

Dang, sweet poontang.

soonermix
3/26/2008, 02:52 PM
haha more like 58% corn-holes!! haha
get it.. in the article it said something was 58% for one dude and 53% for the other???

ok that was lame but i am sleepy right after lunch its nappy nap time

Jimminy Crimson
3/26/2008, 03:19 PM
Everything else is just a waste of good corn.

http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/pictures/georgia-moon-corn-whiskey.jpg

Nectar of the Gods! :texan:

royalfan5
3/26/2008, 09:19 PM
You can blame Senators and Representatives from the South. We could have regular sugar in stuff and be marginally less fat, plus livestock producers would make money with cheaper feed. But since the south re-elects senators forever thus giving them control of the senate ag committees, they prop up the prices of US raised sugar and keep cheap sugar from the rest of the world out, and by subsidizing the overproduction of corn to provide cheap corn for ADM to Wet mill into HFCS. Now that we decided to subsidize the hell out of corn ethanol, we've stimulated demand for corn, and the weak dollar has pushed exports to record high. HFCS is expensive now, thus undermining the original premise. So maybe we can get real sugar, be less fat, use corn for the right things, and allow me to find some wet mills on the cheap for any clients that need them for other purposes. But we will see.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/26/2008, 09:27 PM
So I went out to look for a specific picture on a GIS 'cause I was gonna try and be funny and I accidentally found the recipe for Lawry's Creamed Corn that they serve in their restaurants.

OMG.

Thanks, SO!

bri
3/26/2008, 09:27 PM
Hooray, internets!

royalfan5
3/26/2008, 09:36 PM
One little other fun story on this subject. My Grad School adviser once got an angry 5 page letter from the Nebraska Corn Growers because he told a visiting Mexican delegation that they were lucky to get Coke that tasted right because it was made with sugar.

Jerk
3/26/2008, 09:39 PM
You can blame Senators and Representatives from the South. We could have regular sugar in stuff and be marginally less fat, plus livestock producers would make money with cheaper feed. But since the south re-elects senators forever thus giving them control of the senate ag committees, they prop up the prices of US raised sugar and keep cheap sugar from the rest of the world out, and by subsidizing the overproduction of corn to provide cheap corn for ADM to Wet mill into HFCS. Now that we decided to subsidize the hell out of corn ethanol, we've stimulated demand for corn, and the weak dollar has pushed exports to record high. HFCS is expensive now, thus undermining the original premise. So maybe we can get real sugar, be less fat, use corn for the right things, and allow me to find some wet mills on the cheap for any clients that need them for other purposes. But we will see.

That's a different response than I expected from you.

Corn on the cob is great.

Corn in a soft drink is teh suck.

Mixer!
3/26/2008, 11:03 PM
Mexican Coke > American Coke

OUstudent4life
3/26/2008, 11:59 PM
there's actually a paper on this. Mice got fatter when the had access to fructose versus sucrose. Its a pretty crappy paper, and could be done better, but the data is out there.

But people get fat because they still can't understand that if you eat more calories than you burn, you're likely going to store that energy as fat. If you burn more than you eat, you will lose weight.

It's scary how few of my patients get that.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/27/2008, 12:06 AM
But people get fat because they still can't understand that if you eat more calories than you burn, you're likely going to store that energy as fat.

So if I eat more cheeseburgers and less of these "calories" of which you speak, I can be skinny?

def_lazer_fc
3/27/2008, 12:34 AM
other reasons you are fat:

you eat fast food everyday, but getting the "diet" soda = eating healthy.
you live in the south, where you can get gravy with ANYTHING!
you are not on heroin.
you go to buffets.
if it can't be cooked in a microwave, you don't eat it.
you are so ****ing fat that you need a motorized scooter at the grocery store, which you promptly steer towards the snack aisle.

Mixer!
3/27/2008, 08:54 AM
other reasons you are fat:

you eat fast food everyday, but getting the "diet" soda = eating healthy.
you live in the south, where you can get gravy with ANYTHING!
you are not on heroin.
you go to buffets.
if it can't be cooked in a microwave, you don't eat it.
you are so ****ing fat that you need a motorized scooter at the grocery store, which you promptly steer towards the snack aisle.
mega-spek.

:twinkies: