PDA

View Full Version : OSCN restored to former glory...for now.

Okla-homey
3/26/2008, 06:43 AM
On-line stalkers and employment and apartment rental application checker-outers rejoice! :D

In case you don't understand what the brouhaha is all about, if you go to www.oscn.net, then click on "court dockets," then "search dockets," and then insert a first and last name, you can find if that person has been sued, sued someone else or has run afoul of the law. That sort of info is useful if you are trying to decide whether or not to hire someone or rent them your Aunt Margaret's spare room above the garage.

Court rescinds rule on records

By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
3/26/2008

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Oklahoma Supreme Court on Tuesday rescinded a controversial rule closing many online court records and redacting information from court files.

In a statement issued Tuesday, the court said it was aware of the privacy and identity theft concerns regarding personal data that may appear on the court's Web site, www.oscn.net.

"We are cognizant that many businesses and individuals rely on the information court clerks have placed on our Web site," the statement said. "Personal privacy balanced with reliable public information is critical for every free society."

The statement said the court is withdrawing its March 11 rule to give the issues further study and consideration. The rule was to take effect June 10.

The vote to rescind the order was 5-4.

The original order would have removed documents from the Internet, but left the docket sheet, or history of the case, online.

To get the supporting documents, a user would have to drive to the courthouse to obtain a paper copy.

The original order also removed Social Security numbers, dates of birth, financial account numbers, home addresses and other information from filings and had them placed under seal.

Critics said the new rules were drafted without significant public input and went too far.

They also pointed out that information to be redacted was available in other public records.

"We are pleased they have withdrawn the original rule," said Mark Thomas, executive vice president of the Oklahoma Press Association. "We would gladly serve on any task force to discuss the issue further.

"The original rule was too broad and thousands of Oklahomans and Oklahoma companies now realize the importance of those public court documents," Thomas said. "We do believe, however, that the public is concerned about Social Security numbers possibly being out there and that should be addressed quickly."

Nancy Lynn Roberts, owner and chief operations officer for Trak-1 Technology, a national, Web-based screening firm based in Tulsa, said she was thrilled with the decision to rescind the rules.

She said the decision means businesses can continue to obtain access to information they need to make good hiring and consumer credit decisions.

"The other side of it for me is that individual citizens who are trying to apply for jobs or housing can now be assured that there will not be problems of misidentification as a result of redaction of identifying information in records," Roberts said.

Joey Senat, past president of FOI Oklahoma and an Oklahoma State University journalism professor, agrees with the decision to rescind the original rules.

The group recently awarded the court its "Black Hole Award" for issuing the rules.

"My guess is they just didn't consider how many people relied both on the Internet access and on some of the information that would have been redacted," Senat said.

He said the decision was good for taxpayers.

"It is good to see public officials listen to the people," Senat said.

Senate Co-President Pro Tem Glenn Coffee, R-Oklahoma City, also said the decision was good for the people of the state.

"The court should be commended for its decision to maintain the convenient and open access to records to which the public is accustomed," Coffee said.

C&CDean
3/26/2008, 09:49 AM
Wow. I've found out all kinds of stuff on all kinds of people.

frankensooner
3/26/2008, 09:49 AM
Wow, now everyone can see those entry of appearances in every third case! :rolleyes: The poor wittle reporters didn't want to go to the courthouse to do their job, that is what it really all boiled down to. Maybe when they get sued, their ssn#'s will be there for all to see.

mxATVracer10
3/26/2008, 10:28 AM
Dang I was hoping they were improving the site instead of fighting to keep what is already there! We use it as our background checker before making a hire and it is a very valuable tool. I just wish all counties could be searched via SSN instead of only the "OSCN Counties."

SoonerStormchaser
3/26/2008, 11:31 AM
Heh...the only thing they got on me is my marriage license last year!

Okla-homey
3/26/2008, 12:04 PM
Heh...the only thing they got on me is my marriage license last year!

be patient.

StoopTroup
3/26/2008, 12:09 PM
I know for a fact that much of that infomation was being misused.

As much as it may seem to be a nuisance to somefolks...

It's the right thing to do.