PDA

View Full Version : Well, that's nice of Best Buy

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2008, 11:52 PM
HD DVD Action Center
An Important Message from
Best Buy for HD DVD Player Owners

For months, there has been much debate surrounding the two competing high-definition video formats: Toshiba's HD DVD and Sony's Blu-ray Disc. Recently, Toshiba announced that they will no longer produce HD DVD players, and movie studios have decided not to release new titles in the HD DVD format.

Exciting news if you bought your HD DVD player from Best Buy
As the owner of an HD DVD player, you may have concerns about these developments. At Best Buy, we are dedicated to making sure you always have the right technology for you. That's why we're offering you a complimentary $50 Best Buy gift card for each HD DVD player you purchased from Best Buy before February 23, 2008. (See details and qualifying models.) Use the gift card to treat yourself to anything you want in our stores or online. Most qualifying customers will automatically receive their complimentary gift card by mail in the coming weeks. If you qualify and haven't received yours by May 1, 2008, please call us at 1-888-BEST-BUY to verify your eligibility (have your receipt handy, if possible).

Good news (even if you didn't buy from us)
Be assured that your HD DVD player will continue to play existing HD DVD titles (and upconvert standard DVDs to near-HD quality) as it always has. If you purchased a Best Buy service plan with your HD DVD player, we will continue to honor it for the life of the plan. If, however, you wish to trade in your HD DVD player and HD DVDs, we offer a convenient way to do so via our Best Buy Trade-In Center. Beginning March 21, visit BestBuyTradeIn.com to get an instant estimate of the value of your HD DVD player and movies. See below for further information, along with additional resources that we hope you'll find helpful as you examine your options.

crawfish
3/26/2008, 07:20 AM
Pure evil, best buy is. I wouldn't trust them.

soonerinabilene
3/26/2008, 08:08 AM
Beginning March 21, visit BestBuyTradeIn.com to get an instant estimate of the value of your HD DVD player and movies.

about tree fiddy.

StoopTroup
3/26/2008, 08:10 AM
I can't blame them....

They didn't create this war on technology.

I'm betting Toshiba and Sony forced them to take so much of their product.

All this proves is that Pearl Harbor isn't over IMO. :D

Taxman71
3/26/2008, 09:12 AM
I can just see the sad people in 3rd world countries wearing their "Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champions" t-shirts watching Spideman 3 on their Toshiba HD-DVD players.

SoonerStormchaser
3/26/2008, 09:58 AM
about tree fiddy.

http://www.sweet-tea-prohibition.com/images/random%20pics/chefs_rents.jpg

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2008, 11:16 AM
I can just see the sad people in 3rd world countries wearing their "Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champions" t-shirts watching Spideman 3 on their Toshiba HD-DVD players.

Considering Spiderman 3 is a Sony property, I bet there's a lot of people out there who'd love to figure out how they got that...

bri
3/26/2008, 11:40 AM
Heh.

StoopTroup
3/26/2008, 11:57 AM
FrozPwned.

bri
3/26/2008, 12:01 PM
Heh.

shaun4411
3/26/2008, 12:27 PM
comes to show how important it is to do your research before posting on SF

bri
3/26/2008, 12:32 PM
Heh.

texas bandman
3/26/2008, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I will get a $50 Best Buy gift card and their trade in center tells me I can get $56 dollars for my Toshiba HD DVD. I think I'll just keep it, since it does make my regular DVDs look so good on my 50 inch plasma. I guess I'll just have to save the additional $350 to get a BluRay. That should only take until 2012 at my current rate of savings. I wonder if the gift card will last that long. :D

shaun4411
3/26/2008, 12:40 PM
just wait until the loan from china comes in, then buy your blu ray player. so, borrow from china, and give back to china and japan. it's a good deal for them. i think ill invest in sony

Taxman71
3/26/2008, 01:53 PM
Of all the crappy movies out on DVD, the one that is BR exclusive pops in my head. You can tell I haven't bought into the BR technology yet. Waiting for $$ to fall, especially since every DVD in my house gets played on no less than 4 different DVD players depending on the situation.

bluedogok
3/26/2008, 08:18 PM
Considering Spiderman 3 is a Sony property, I bet there's a lot of people out there who'd love to figure out how they got that...
It's a Chinese bootleg.......:pop:

colleyvillesooner
3/26/2008, 08:51 PM
So when can I get cheap HD DVDS for the laptop I got from work?

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2008, 08:57 PM
Of all the crappy movies out on DVD, the one that is BR exclusive pops in my head. You can tell I haven't bought into the BR technology yet. Waiting for $$ to fall, especially since every DVD in my house gets played on no less than 4 different DVD players depending on the situation.

This is one of the reasons I preferred HD DVD to BD as a format. HD DVD included in the spec that you could include managed copy of your disk to an SD master-that is, you'd be able to burn a copy of your HD DVD to regular DVD at 480i. So if you owned the HD DVD, you could create a copy to use in your portable devices or in the bedroom or whatever.

BD could do this, but it's not included in the spec and discs with managed copy might bork your player.

Taxman71
3/26/2008, 09:08 PM
This is one of the reasons I preferred HD DVD to BD as a format. HD DVD included in the spec that you could include managed copy of your disk to an SD master-that is, you'd be able to burn a copy of your HD DVD to regular DVD at 480i. So if you owned the HD DVD, you could create a copy to use in your portable devices or in the bedroom or whatever.

BD could do this, but it's not included in the spec and discs with managed copy might bork your player.

Not to mention that Sony will find a way to clone my hard drive as soon as I pop it in and send storm troopers to my house.

Norm In Norman
3/26/2008, 09:46 PM
Pure evil, best buy is. I wouldn't trust them.
GOLLY GEE, I think you are right!