PDA

View Full Version : (BSG ALERT)

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2008, 11:08 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0b/Landingpagealbumart.jpg

This is probably a fail on the image, but what do you think?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/25/2008, 11:19 PM
Is that their new one? I haven't read any reviews or anything yet.

Have you heard any of it?

Vaevictis
3/25/2008, 11:27 PM
I have two tracks off of it :D

Not that I'm special; if you went to their site during the right time frame, they had them for download.

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2008, 11:27 PM
Listening to it right now. The opening track is a bit more rock-y that you may be used to from them.

bri
3/25/2008, 11:28 PM
It's a Counting Crows album. I'm thinking you've probably heard it before. ;)

Vaevictis
3/25/2008, 11:30 PM
Listening to it right now. The opening track is a bit more rock-y that you may be used to from them.

Pfft. If that's the case, you just haven't been listening to the right stuff.

Vaevictis
3/25/2008, 11:33 PM
Here's the two tracks they released on their website:

http://geffen.edgeboss.net/download/geffen/countingcrows/audio/saturdaynightsandsundaymornings/saturday_nights_and_sunday_mornings.zip?siteid=cc

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2008, 11:38 PM
Pfft. If that's the case, you just haven't been listening to the right stuff.

What, you don't think that "1492" is a bit more rock than the majority of their oeuvre? I'm not saying they never crank up the guitars-"Angels of the Silences" comes to mind-but it's not something they do that often. I guess "Eggman" has some rockin' bits.

And Bri, you like Matthew Sweet. Discussing how every song from a particular artist sounds the same isn't an argument you can win.

Vaevictis
3/25/2008, 11:38 PM
Dammit, normally I'm on top of this stuff, but I didn't even realize it was released yet. Had it on my Amazon wish list, and someone bought it for me, so it was off my radar.

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2008, 11:39 PM
Yup. Released today.

Vaevictis
3/25/2008, 11:46 PM
What, you don't think that "1492" is a bit more rock than the majority of their oeuvre? I'm not saying they never crank up the guitars-"Angels of the Silences" comes to mind-but it's not something they do that often. I guess "Eggman" has some rockin' bits.

It's more rock than they've done recently, but Angels of the Silences, A Murder of One, "Omaha" from their demo tape, most of the MTV disc from Across a Wire, and a bunch of their other live stuff is all stronger rock.

Also, what I call "rock" includes a lot of the old school stuff like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, etc, so a lot of their stuff that isn't quite as electric qualifies as "rock" to me.

Vaevictis
3/25/2008, 11:46 PM
Also, the "She Likes the Weather" album has some very, very rock-y stuff. Although it's not technically Counting Crows, I consider it the same because of the continuation from one to the next.

River Shannon and the original version of Round Here are awesome.

bri
3/25/2008, 11:47 PM
And Bri, you like Matthew Sweet. Discussing how every song from a particular artist sounds the same isn't an argument you can win.

Ha-HA! In Reverse, bitch!

An album full of Wall Of Sound-style production that sounds almost NOTHING like Girlfriend, Altered Beast, and 100% Fun. And not coincidentally, my least favorite of his albums. :D

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2008, 11:48 PM
I didn't say that they never played rock music. I said that this song had much more of a rock-y feel than people normally expect from CC.

Most of their stuff is much more Dylan than it is Jimi. This particular song is more towards the Jimi end of the spectrum. Sabbe?

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2008, 11:49 PM
Ha-HA! In Reverse, bitch!

An album full of Wall Of Sound-style production that sounds almost NOTHING like Girlfriend, Altered Beast, and 100% Fun. And not coincidentally, my least favorite of his albums. :D

Well, yeah, anyone can put out a ****ty album and call it a "new direction."

See U2 in the mid-late 90s.

Vaevictis
3/25/2008, 11:50 PM
I didn't say that they never played rock music. I said that this song had much more of a rock-y feel than people normally expect from CC.

Yeah, I get that -- hence, if that's how you feel, you ain't been listening to the right stuff.

(Generic you here, not YOU specifically.)

Most of their stuff is much more Dylan than it is Jimi. This particular song is more towards the Jimi end of the spectrum. Sabbe?

Got it. ;)

bri
3/25/2008, 11:50 PM
Well, yeah, anyone can put out a ****ty album and call it a "new direction."

See U2 in the mid-late 90s.

Suck it, Nanook. I still love Zooropa. :D

Vaevictis
3/25/2008, 11:51 PM
By the way, can you tell I like Counting Crows?

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2008, 11:57 PM
Dude, you should see how much room their stuff takes up on my iPod.

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2008, 11:58 PM
Suck it, Nanook. I still love Zooropa. :D

Vorspiel durch technik?

Vaevictis
3/25/2008, 11:58 PM
Heh, a little over a gig for me.

Did you get "She Likes the Weather?" If not, you're missing out.

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2008, 12:01 AM
I don't have it-is it a Himalayans album or something?

I do have the iTunes exclusive live album they did-great covers of Amie and Friend of the Devil on there.

Vaevictis
3/26/2008, 12:05 AM
I don't have it-is it a Himalayans album or something?

Yeah. It has Diamonds and Babies and Cars, which is typical depressive Duritz fare, River Shannon which is a little closer to Einstein (better lyrics though, IMO).

My favorite track, though, is the original version of Round Here. The guitar line in the Counting Crows version was originally played on a bass, with the guitar floating around in the background, kind of doing its own thing. It's awesome.

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2008, 12:06 AM
Hrm. I'll have to poke around for it. My local indie record store selection is a bit limited.

Vaevictis
3/26/2008, 12:08 AM
http://www.tyrannosaurusrecords.net/

Vaevictis
3/26/2008, 12:12 AM
Also, if you didn't already snag it, they put the demo version of "Omaha" on the collector's edition of August and Everything After -- the only time I've ever heard it electric -- two other original songs, Love and Addiction, and Shallow Days, and two covers, This Land is Your Land and Mean Jumper Blues.

Vaevictis
3/26/2008, 12:24 AM
It's a Counting Crows album. I'm thinking you've probably heard it before. ;)

Don't you like Lisa Loeb?

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2008, 12:36 AM
He likes Lisa Loeb for reasons that have nothing to do with music.

Vaevictis
3/26/2008, 12:49 AM

I would respond to that, but it I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to stop laughing. Ever.

colleyvillesooner
3/26/2008, 09:00 AM
Dude, you should see how much room their stuff takes up on my iPod.

I'll take "Too Much" for $1000 Alex.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/26/2008, 09:59 AM
Immina check it out today. The concept of the album sounds interesting.

I recently saw silverwheels listening to DCFC's new one and I went out and listened to it, too. Lost of new stuff coming out in the next couple of months.

BigRedJed
3/26/2008, 10:19 AM
If you like Counting Crows, you should check out Pedro the Lion. They sound a lot like Counting Crows might, if they had talent.

bri
3/26/2008, 10:24 AM
Don't you like Lisa Loeb?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Lisa...

http://a458.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/14/l_d3d33be021bf4244428a0c8d49111ce9.jpg

And hey, I do like her music. 'Cause it reminds me of her.

bri
3/26/2008, 11:10 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Lisa...

http://b4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00422/47/53/422053574_l.jpg