PDA

View Full Version : Malcom Kelly in doubt

Sooner in Tampa
3/25/2008, 11:55 AM
:( Sorry to hear this

NFL Network's Mike Mayock reports that both of Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly's knees "are of such concern" that he may be removed from some teams' draft boards in April.

Kelly got hurt in both the Sooners' bowl games the past two years. He hasn't participated in any pre-draft events. Kelly plans to run privately on April 9. Mayock hints that there is a good chance Kelly, the No. 1 receiver in the draft according to some internet services, will go in round two. Mar. 24 - 6:59 pm et

flopshotjoe99
3/25/2008, 11:57 AM
should have stayed for his SR year.

shaun4411
3/25/2008, 12:08 PM
maybe the 49ers will nab him

r5TPsooner
3/25/2008, 12:22 PM
I loved his big play capabilities but he took a LOT of plays off as a Sooner.

He could have benefited with an extra year of seasoning IMO but I hope he gets the $$$$ that he was looking for.

SoonerStormchaser
3/25/2008, 12:24 PM
Hell, I thought ALL of the jrs that left early shoulda stayed for their sr year, and that wasn't for selfish reasons. They all needed some more finessing. Oh well, you know what they say about money talking!

Jewstin
3/25/2008, 12:26 PM
I saw him walk up and down the sideline during one of the home-games complaining about not getting the ball thrown to him. It was like watching a 10 year old bitching about it. After that, I wasn't as big of a Malcolm Kelly fan anymore.

r5tpsooner is right -- if the ball wasn't coming his way, he'd run crap routes (or no route at all), and slack on his blocking.

But, man, he could catch pretty much everything under the sun.

Best of luck to him.

ultimatesooner1
3/25/2008, 01:03 PM
he can always go be a rapper

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/25/2008, 01:08 PM
Or come back to Lost as Tall Walt

http://imdb.com/name/nm1287636/

Dan Thompson
3/25/2008, 02:29 PM
Maybe the WRs are required to block, but I can recall ever seeing MK block anyone.

Collier11
3/25/2008, 02:33 PM
Maybe the WRs are required to block, but I can recall ever seeing MK block anyone.

this is retarded, MK was a pretty good blocker actually

Mad Dog Madsen
3/25/2008, 02:42 PM
Thats the same thing I was thinking.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/25/2008, 02:50 PM
If we hadn't baned Nick...we could totally know the truth :(

toast
3/25/2008, 02:53 PM
sounds suspiciously like a lower first round team "leaking" some info so that they can possibly get MK.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/25/2008, 02:55 PM
Mayock also said that DMAC was slipping out of the top20 a while back...

soonerfan28
3/25/2008, 02:58 PM
I am unsure but if MK hasn't hired an agent can he come back? For all I know he has hired an agent and then it doesn't really matter.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/25/2008, 03:00 PM
No, he is past the date to change his mind...

OUTrumpet
3/25/2008, 03:05 PM
I am unsure but if MK hasn't hired an agent can he come back? For all I know he has hired an agent and then it doesn't really matter.

I'm pretty sure that date was within a week of declaring.

Beef
3/25/2008, 03:08 PM
MK sucked. I can't believe we ever recruited his no-blocking, lazy, loafing, crippled ***. :mad: :rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/25/2008, 03:15 PM
He was awesome on the Cosby Show though!

boomersooner28
3/25/2008, 08:27 PM
Hhmmm....Malcolm Kelly in a Dallas Cowboys uniform. I likeeeee! :D

Cam
3/25/2008, 08:31 PM

Ok, who's troll is this?

Assuming it should read "can't remember", this should shoot to the top of the FPOMF posts of the year list.

goingoneight
3/25/2008, 08:57 PM

What... and COMPLETELY blown his knee out? Yeah... staying another year really helps you there, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Curly Bill
3/25/2008, 09:00 PM

I see that this has already been mentioned, but this would have made his knees better how?

sooneron
3/25/2008, 09:28 PM
This thread feels noobalicious.

sooneron
3/25/2008, 09:29 PM

Well, he was called for holding on A Patrick's big run at ATM.:cool:

SoonerTroll
3/25/2008, 09:52 PM
Maybe the vikings can take a de in the first and get him in the second..... probably wont drop that far.

OU-HSV
3/25/2008, 09:56 PM
Um, okay. And if all else fails the Lions will draft him. They have a habit of drafting WR's when they need to fill other positions. :D

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2008, 10:05 PM
That's interesting that he hurt his knee in our last two bowl games. Considering he didn't play in the last one and all.

OU-HSV
3/25/2008, 10:09 PM
That's interesting that he hurt his knee in our last two bowl games. Considering he didn't play in the last one and all.

exactly

tulsaoilerfan
3/25/2008, 10:14 PM

Never let facts get in the way of a bull**** story:pop:

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2008, 10:18 PM
exactly

That trainer's table is tricky. It'll reach up and **** you up good.

goingoneight
3/25/2008, 10:37 PM
Technically he did play. He was in for a few series, but QC stepped up enough that they went ahead and held him out. You could tell he wasn't himself, though... he was getting beat by WVU's slow DBs on every play so they ended up phasing him out to blocking and then QC took over.
However, the injury occured prior to the Fiasco Bowl.

Piware
3/25/2008, 11:32 PM
Wow, that's a shame. I remember the same thing with that darn Peterson kid, aka Rookie of the Year, MVP, etc. He was just too injury prone and fragile to play in the NFL but the Vikings gave him a job out of pity. We will see how this one turns out.

soonerfan28
3/26/2008, 08:49 AM
I don't think he's too fragile to play in the NFL he should have just stayed until he was ready to workout for the scouts. I think it's way to risky to put millions of dollars in the hands of someone who can't even workout. Look at what happened to Willis McGahee. He fell to the bottom of the first round. I understand he tore is ACL, but they drafted him off of what he did in college and his ability before the injury. If Kelly doesn't workout he won't go in the first round.

JLB
3/26/2008, 01:39 PM
Wow, that's a shame. I remember the same thing with that darn Peterson kid, aka Rookie of the Year, MVP, etc. He was just too injury prone and fragile to play in the NFL but the Vikings gave him a job out of pity. We will see how this one turns out.

Exactly.All a bunch of BS.:pop:

Jewstin
3/26/2008, 04:38 PM
Does anyone know the story behind Kelly's injury before the Fiesta Bowl? I never really heard much about it before hand, then one of the announcers said he had a dinged up knee and was sitting it out. And that's pretty much all I ever did hear of it.

Granted, I was kind of busy during the holidays, so I didn't get to follow things as closely, but I remember being really surprised when they said he was out in the Fiesta Bowl.

:confused:

flopshotjoe99
3/26/2008, 04:41 PM
Does anyone know the story behind Kelly's injury before the Fiesta Bowl? I never really heard much about it before hand, then one of the announcers said he had a dinged up knee and was sitting it out. And that's pretty much all I ever did hear of it.

Granted, I was kind of busy during the holidays, so I didn't get to follow things as closely, but I remember being really surprised when they said he was out in the Fiesta Bowl.

:confused:

the paper reported it as a deep thigh bruise from what I remember.

Scott D
3/26/2008, 05:08 PM
Um, okay. And if all else fails the Lions will draft him. They have a habit of drafting WR's when they need to fill other positions. :D

rumor here is that they'll possibly be trading some guy that wears #11 in Detroit and once wore #4 in baby crap orange to Dallas or Houston. It'd be a far likelier scenario if they do draft Kelly.

soonerfan28
3/27/2008, 08:59 AM
Hhmmm....Malcolm Kelly in a Dallas Cowboys uniform. I likeeeee! :D

I'd have to agree. I wouldn't mind seeing him a cowboys uniform, but I think they can get him with their second pic in the 1st round.

starrca23
3/27/2008, 09:57 AM
I would love that too. I wouldn't mind seeing Dallas try to go after D-mac either though.

BoulderSooner79
3/27/2008, 09:32 PM
I don't think he's too fragile to play in the NFL he should have just stayed until he was ready to workout for the scouts. I think it's way to risky to put millions of dollars in the hands of someone who can't even workout. Look at what happened to Willis McGahee. He fell to the bottom of the first round. I understand he tore is ACL, but they drafted him off of what he did in college and his ability before the injury. If Kelly doesn't workout he won't go in the first round.

McGahee was a completely different story. Did you see his injury happen in the BCS championship against tOSU? Gruesome. He torn not just the ACL, but every other 'L' a person can tear. He was drafted knowing full well he wouldn't play the first year and may not ever be the same. By that standard, MK has hang-nail and wouldn't hurt his draft position.

soonerfan28
3/28/2008, 08:06 AM
McGahee was a completely different story. Did you see his injury happen in the BCS championship against tOSU? Gruesome. He torn not just the ACL, but every other 'L' a person can tear. He was drafted knowing full well he wouldn't play the first year and may not ever be the same. By that standard, MK has hang-nail and wouldn't hurt his draft position.

I understand they are not the same thing, not even close. I said that in my original post and yes I remember how sick it looked. It reminded me of Napoleon Kaufman in that Monday Night Football game with the Raiders when his knee went the wrong way 90 degrees.

Scott D
3/28/2008, 11:58 AM
I understand they are not the same thing, not even close. I said that in my original post and yes I remember how sick it looked. It reminded me of Napoleon Kaufman in that Monday Night Football game with the Raiders when his knee went the wrong way 90 degrees.

pretty sure that was Napoleon McCallum, not Kaufman.

soonerfan28
3/28/2008, 12:50 PM
Now that I've actually looked it up instead of trying to go off of memory you're correct. Either way it was ugly.

RacerX
3/31/2008, 08:52 AM
IT WAS JUST A SPRAIN!!!!

soonerfan28
3/31/2008, 02:37 PM
IT WAS JUST A SPRAIN!!!!

I wasn't comparing injuries. I was saying that McGahee obviously couldn't work out and he had a better career then Kelly did, so if Kelly doesn't workout then they will go by what he did in college and he won't go first round.

RacerX
3/31/2008, 03:01 PM
I wasn't comparing injuries. I was saying that McGahee obviously couldn't work out and he had a better career then Kelly did, so if Kelly doesn't workout then they will go by what he did in college and he won't go first round.

Sorry to confuse, I was doing a Bob Stoops/Jason White reference.