PDA

View Full Version : So Does Capel Take The S.Carolina Job?

stoopified
3/24/2008, 10:01 AM
The question has to be asked since at least some WITERS (I use the term loosely) in Gamecock country think he will.

I personally don't see it.There are too many schools to compete with ACC ****ry and in their own SEC for hem to ever have much of a program.In the Big 12 Kansas is the only program out of reach(in fairnes UT currently is up there too but only recently).Whle I do NOT know much about the Gameock B-ball proram I do know they haven't had 21 NCAA trips in the last 26 years like OU.With the commitment OU administration has shown in the buildng of practice courts,and other LNC upgrades,I don't see failities will be an issue either.I also fnd it doubtful that compensation will be an issue as I believe that Joe C. and David Boren have faith that Capel is the man to lead OUr program and he will be paid accordingly.

n I short the only possible reason to take the job is geography,a cahnce to be closer o his roots.I ind it unlikely to be a ajor factor as mst coaches do not coach near where they grew up or played.I do assume that Capel will at some time take a job and eave OU,BUT I think only to move upward to a traditional powerhouse like Duke,UNC,Maryland,Georgetown,etc.Capel was smart enough to be a student at Duke,he is smart enough to know in time he can write his own ticket and that won't be to South Carolina.

BillyBall
3/24/2008, 10:03 AM
Either way, he's going to get a raise in the next few weeks.

crawfish
3/24/2008, 10:39 AM
Heck, no. Look what he has coming in and back next year. South Carolina is no more a destination job for him than we are; in fact, it would be a step back since he'd have to start rebuilding from scratch.

I think Joe C. give him a huge raise and a new contract, and he stays until a bigger name job opens up. I don't anticipate keeping him after that, though.

Boomer.....
3/24/2008, 10:50 AM
I don't think he is leaving either. We better give him a raise soon, just to be sure.

soonerfan28
3/24/2008, 01:11 PM
I heard last night on Tulsa Channel 2 KJRH that he was staying at OU, but I can't find anywhere that he has said that.

joeTsooner
3/24/2008, 01:29 PM
HE is staying and the man will be paid! Currently makeing in the $600,000, he will prob get bumped up to well over a mil a year with some performance based incentives.

Just my opinion.

sooner518
3/24/2008, 01:46 PM
South Carolina? hell no. the only Pro for him taking that job is its closer to where hes from. Thats it. We have better tradition, better returning players, better incoming players....

If we continue to win, he'll be gone in a few years, but itll be a step up, not a step down

MichiganSooner
3/24/2008, 02:00 PM
I guess if he is interviewed and then offered the job he might think about it.
He will probably say, "no" because Joe C will take care of him at OU.

If he goes, will we yell, scream, and squawk like West Virginians?

jdsooner
3/24/2008, 02:01 PM
Dean Blevins says that there is a 70% chance he will stay at OU, so I am worried now! Blevins also said that there it is 40-60 that Blake Griffin will stay.

stoopified
3/24/2008, 03:22 PM
Dean Blevins says that there is a 70% chance he will stay at OU, so I am worried now! Blevins also said that there it is 40-60 that Blake Griffin will stay.Didya have to bring Dean the stream into this? :D If he has ANY position on it I feel ill.

jthomasou78
3/24/2008, 05:52 PM
I think that he stays. If Blake stays we will have a chance for a great year next year. and that means he can get a much better job then South Carolina.

Am I the only one that thinks we might keep him til coach K retires?

Big Red Ron
3/24/2008, 06:37 PM
The OU job really is a hidden goldmine. I mean we'd pay as much as anyone and have an NBA team playing 17 miles down the highway, in addition to all the things mentioned before.

OU is easily one of the top two or three basketball conferences in the country, and OU is easily one of the top two or three teams in one of the best conferences.

Leaving for South Carolina just doesn't add up on any level.

silverwheels
3/24/2008, 06:42 PM
Gary Parrish from CBSSportsline is pretty confident that it's a done deal unless we counter with a very large amount of money.

joeTsooner
3/24/2008, 07:18 PM
Gary Parrish from CBSSportsline is pretty confident that it's a done deal unless we counter with a very large amount of money.

Gary Parish has his head up his butt

shaun4411
3/24/2008, 07:31 PM
he has too much business to take care of in norman. i think he wants to make a name for himself with no doubters before he goes to greener pastures. i think he needs at least 5-6 years in norman before he considers anyone else.

birddog
3/24/2008, 07:47 PM
if you want to look into his comments, it's positive that he's talking about his future at ou.

"With me, I think this is a really big step for us. To get to the NCAA tournament, to get to the second round of the NCAA tournament, obviously today is really disappointing, but like I said, earlier, when you look back on our body of work and what we have done all year, I'm really proud of our guys. I'm really excited about our future. I think we have a good class coming in. With the four young men that we have signed. I think we have some guys coming back that are good players. And we'll figure out what Blake wants to do. And I'm like Taylor, whatever he wants to do is fine with me. It's his decision. His family's decision. I'll help them as much as they want me to. But I'm excited about the future of our program and where we go from here."

badger
3/24/2008, 11:14 PM
Why to go to USC (south carolina, not condomland):
1- Golf courses (it's why Spurrier went there!)
2- Less pressure to win all the time (it's why Spurrier went there instead of Florida)
3- It's closer to his home
4- It might pay more money
5- More fans at more games
6- The SEC is less competitive than the Big 12, so it's easier to make the tourney, perhaps
7- Another chance to rebuild a team to greatness

Why NOT to leave OU:
1- Greater winning tradition
2- Loyalty issues to the program that gave the young coach his first major program job
3- Greater resources for recruiting, training and playing
4- Possibly more pay
5- Better returning players
6- Better potential recruits immediately
7- Showing dedication to a program improves recruiting and the ability to keep pro-bound players longer

Colasooner
3/25/2008, 06:42 AM
I live in Columbia and I would say that JC will get a look from USC. USC has a fairly new arena (18,000 fans), brand new athletic/academic center under construction and an unbelievably enthusiastic fan base-especially for a program that does not win much outside of baseball, and have a really good team coming back. Their point guard Devan Downey is first team SEC and they have a good big man coming in next year. They only lost one starter. While not as rich as the Sooners, the Gamecocks are not without resources.

I would say that if Capel visits USC and sees all this it could sway him but if I had to bet $1,000, I would put my money on him being in Norman next year. USC gives Capel a great "ATM" opportunity. But you never know.

badger
3/25/2008, 08:16 AM
I live in Columbia and I would say that JC will get a look from USC. USC has a fairly new arena (18,000 fans), brand new athletic/academic center under construction and an unbelievably enthusiastic fan base-especially for a program that does not win much outside of baseball, and have a really good team coming back. Their point guard Devan Downey is first team SEC and they have a good big man coming in next year. They only lost one starter. While not as rich as the Sooners, the Gamecocks are not without resources.

I would say that if Capel visits USC and sees all this it could sway him but if I had to bet $1,000, I would put my money on him being in Norman next year. USC gives Capel a great "ATM" opportunity. But you never know.

Sooo... what did this USC fans think once the football team started winning to the point of being ranked in the top 10... and what did they think after the daydream was over? Did they suddenly forget that all those years they were awful without Spurrier and suddenly start criticizing his every move?

hehe, I wish Sooner fans would realize what OU was like in the 10 years before Stoops sometimes :rolleyes:

KentuckySooner
3/25/2008, 10:07 AM
I believe Capels coaching power comes from his mustache! Can't wait for next season...just have to sit through this boring football crap :)

Mjcpr
3/25/2008, 10:32 AM
Anybody wondering why he would leave should take a look around the empty stadium he was coaching in pretty much every night. We simply do not support men's basketball as well as we should and he comes from a place that supports it wildly, so I would not be surprised at what he does, either way, assuming we pony up some more $.

soonerguild
3/25/2008, 10:58 AM
Anybody wondering why he would leave should take a look around the empty stadium he was coaching in pretty much every night. We simply do not support men's basketball as well as we should and he comes from a place that supports it wildly, so I would not be surprised at what he does, either way, assuming we pony up some more $.

Exactly. I much as I want him to stay, as I've said since the beginning of this season, if he leaves it is our fault. The only part of a program whether football or basketball that we can control is attendence. Ours was TERRIBLE. ks didn't play at duke. I think it will come around and also think the JC needs to change a few policies currently in place but the fact of the matter is it wasn't even full for our two biggest rivals. Also I'm sure he is tired of recruiting to a empty arena.

For all of us that go to over 90% of the games, or heck even go to 50%, its frustrating, but it is our own fans fault that this is even an issue.

NormanPride
3/25/2008, 11:30 AM
At the risk of threadjacking, badger and I went to the TU game last night. Though there weren't too many more people than show up at our games, that place was jumping. Both high student ticket prices and a crappy basketball arena contribute to poor attendance.

Collier11
3/25/2008, 11:38 AM
I think that he stays. If Blake stays we will have a chance for a great year next year. and that means he can get a much better job then South Carolina.

Yes! Duke is Dawkins job if he wants it from what ive heard

shaun4411
3/25/2008, 11:47 AM

i just dont see griffin leaving yet.
1. he wants to win something at ou.
2. his brother wants him in there for at least one more year.
3. next year's class has a lot of potential
4. development. hed be lucky to be a first rounder. at least in my mind. this was a monster year for freshman. he was "up there" but not top guy. in terms of potential, sure top 3. but as far as performance, he was outshadowed by a few guys. i think if he wants to go into the nba as an underclassman, that he should shine similar to how beasley or agustine owned the big 12 this year.

crawfish
3/25/2008, 11:59 AM
I don't think he'll go to SC because they don't have maps (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww)there.

(and yes, I stole the idea from another board. So sue me. :) )

thedeanisin
3/25/2008, 12:07 PM
There is a lot of talk of Blake staying and if he does how good the Sooners will be. My question is, who the h*** is going to help him score? Another question, who is going to take care of the basketball long enough to score? I am sorry, streaky scoring guards who have problems handling the ball and no other help inside will not make the Sooners any better next year than they are this year.

As for Capel getting a big raise... Maybe, give him somthing but, not 1 mil.

Collier11
3/25/2008, 12:12 PM
There is a lot of talk of Blake staying and if he does how good the Sooners will be. My question is, who the h*** is going to help him score? Another question, who is going to take care of the basketball long enough to score? I am sorry, streaky scoring guards who have problems handling the ball and no other help inside will not make the Sooners any better next year than they are this year.

As for Capel getting a big raise... Maybe, give him somthing but, not 1 mil.

Crocker, Allen, Warren, Wright, etc...

thedeanisin
3/25/2008, 12:14 PM
Crocker, Allen, Warren, Wright, etc...

And there scoring averages are...?

Collier11
3/25/2008, 12:24 PM
And there scoring averages are...?

Warren is a 5 star combo guard who will see alot of PT
Allen is a 6-10 Juco Center I believe
Wright is a UCLA transfer who should start from the beginning I would imagine Crocker who avg. 11.3 ppg as a soph
AJ who avg 8.6ppg as a junior
BG avg 14.7 as a Frosh but over 17ppg in conf play

If warren can play well and Crocker gets better, we will be fine IMO

r5TPsooner
3/25/2008, 12:25 PM
If he can land a guard or two, especially one that can put the dagger in teams from three point range, this team has a chance to be pretty good next year.

Having lived away from home for over ten years, I can also understand his desire to return somewhere closer to home and family. I'd be disappointed if he left but I would understand.

thedeanisin
3/25/2008, 12:36 PM
If warren can play well and Crocker gets better, we will be fine IMO

And, if they don't, where will we be? I so want the Sooners to be successful and, I do believe we will get our wins next year but, without a killer 3 point shooting guard, it will be tough. The guys, like the gals, need to take better care of the ball and make A LOT MORE FREETHROWS!

I will also be understanding if Capel choses a job closer to home. I do agree, however, that going to a school that will not be better than the one that you are at is not productive.

shaun4411
3/25/2008, 12:44 PM
Exactly. I much as I want him to stay, as I've said since the beginning of this season, if he leaves it is our fault. The only part of a program whether football or basketball that we can control is attendence. Ours was TERRIBLE. ks didn't play at duke. I think it will come around and also think the JC needs to change a few policies currently in place but the fact of the matter is it wasn't even full for our two biggest rivals. Also I'm sure he is tired of recruiting to a empty arena.

For all of us that go to over 90% of the games, or heck even go to 50%, its frustrating, but it is our own fans fault that this is even an issue.

for the most part, i agree. but i was impressed with this season's attendance. most specifically the games versus kstate, ttech, a&m, osu, texas. they were loud!

Mad Dog Madsen
3/25/2008, 12:45 PM
Talked to his brother personally, and he said Jeff Capel isn't going anywhere. End of discussion.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/25/2008, 12:53 PM
I don't see any way he takes the S Carolina job and honestly I'm not the least concerned about it. Leaving OU with the talent starting to come in for South Carolina in basketball is like leaving Illinois right now in football to go to Baylor.

Capel deserves a nice fat raise for the job he has done and I think he will get it.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/25/2008, 01:00 PM
Didnt you read! the discussion is over!

shaun4411
3/25/2008, 01:02 PM
Talked to his brother personally, and he said Jeff Capel isn't going anywhere. End of discussion.

wish we could give credibility to that first post.

Mjcpr
3/25/2008, 01:04 PM
Didnt you read! the discussion is over!

Yep, lock this one up, boys, we got the final answer.

r5TPsooner
3/25/2008, 01:07 PM
Should have been a poll.

fwsooner22
3/25/2008, 01:07 PM
We will begin to win when AJ gets NO minutes. Sorry I like the kid he just isnt a D-1 player. He kills us.

r5TPsooner
3/25/2008, 01:08 PM
This should have been a poll.

thedeanisin
3/25/2008, 01:14 PM
Riggghhhhttttt! And, I have some swamp land in Utah to sell you.

Why a nice fat raise? He has only been here 2 years and he isn't even working with a full set of his own recruits.

soonervegas
3/25/2008, 01:18 PM
Crocker will be much better next year. The guy is just a Soph and already shows flashes of brilliance. (He also disappears right now....like many Sophs do) Good players are usually past that in their Junior and Senior year. I think we are about to enjoy some really good years from Crocker.

thedeanisin
3/25/2008, 02:23 PM
We will begin to win when AJ gets NO minutes. Sorry I like the kid he just isnt a D-1 player. He kills us.

I agree. Get him out of the back-court. Put any where except where he has to handle the ball.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/25/2008, 02:27 PM

What difference does it make if it is my first post? I had to start somewhere...

stoops the eternal pimp
3/25/2008, 02:53 PM
I believe you, no matter how many posts you do or dont have

thedeanisin
3/25/2008, 02:55 PM
What difference does it make if it is my first post? I had to start somewhere...

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-045.gif

Collier11
3/25/2008, 03:07 PM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-045.gif

$2 bill

Mad Dog Madsen
3/25/2008, 03:12 PM
I love you guys... :rolleyes:

thedeanisin
3/25/2008, 03:15 PM
$2 bill

Put it towards my account. :D

soonerguild
3/25/2008, 04:25 PM
I think that alot of you aren't giving jeff enough credit. he walked into a terrible situation and had us getting a bye in the conf tourney and in the big dance. also 1 million bucks isn't what it used to be. Besides if he is alittle over paid we know he isn't going anywhere, which if he did leave would devastate our program right now. As far as AJ goes he just isn't a point guard. he shoots good enough to be a 2, maybe not a starting 2 but a good guy off the bench. Give the kid a break.

BigRedJed
3/25/2008, 05:31 PM
Listen, I'm not taking up for a poster whose first post on this board is "inside information" from "Jeff Capel's brother." It's admittedly a bit difficult to swallow.

But n00b-ripping from a guy whose first post on here was just over a month ago, and who within a few days of his first post started an anti-Christianity thread that got him negged to Bolivian, probably by an atheist, to the point of beating out posters like Herr Sholtz, caphorns and Luthor as most negspekked poster in SF history, makes me chuckle.

soonerfan28
3/25/2008, 06:26 PM
I think its obvious what killed us this year was no depth inside and spotty guard play. If Warren is half as good as they say he is and Blake comes back then we should be tops in the Big 12. We'll have a ton of depth inside with Cannon, Griffin(x2), Wright, Allen, and possibly Clark (if he can get his crap together). I think Johnson will be a good point but shooting needs to be left up to somebody else. I would prefer Warren and I feel like Davis was getting better toward the end of the season.

sooneron
3/25/2008, 08:33 PM
To answer the original question

HELLS NO

MichiganSooner
3/25/2008, 09:21 PM
Soonerron has it right just above. Sooooooo, who does South Carolina get?

Somebody send an email to that newspaper guy in Columbia and tell them who they get.

Sean Sutton.

You heard it here first. Dang, these blasted message boards and radio talk shows are where the dumb rumors are started nowdays.

badger
3/25/2008, 09:50 PM

Does Jeff even have a brother? I mean... he's Jeff the third, so where does that leave a bro?

btw, the wimmen's team is coming back. ESPN2 right now :D

OUstud
3/25/2008, 10:06 PM
Does Jeff even have a brother? I mean... he's Jeff the third, so where does that leave a bro?

btw, the wimmen's team is coming back. ESPN2 right now :D

Jason played for UNC 2000-ish.

crawfish
3/25/2008, 10:16 PM

I give him 25% per post. :D

tulsaoilerfan
3/25/2008, 10:18 PM
Why not Scott Sutton to USC? Surely he has the itch to go compete in a better conference by now

badger
3/25/2008, 10:30 PM
OU BALL.
44.6 left
still 65-63
PRAY! :)

NormanPride
3/26/2008, 09:31 AM
This thread depresses me now.

stoopified
3/26/2008, 07:25 PM
Why not Scott Sutton to USC? Surely he has the itch to go compete in a better conference by nowSean is a better fit;they have no winning tradition and neither does he.

badger
3/26/2008, 08:05 PM
Sean is a better fit;they have no winning tradition and neither does he.

(applause)

Collier11
3/27/2008, 12:41 AM
Rumor has it(gottlieb on espn and coachingrumors.com) that Capel rejected a 7 yr 1.3mil/yr offer from SC and also rejected an interview request from lsu. Apparently he has a hefty raise promised from JC

stoopified
3/27/2008, 03:23 PM
Rumor has it(gottlieb on espn and coachingrumors.com) that Capel rejected a 7 yr 1.3mil/yr offer from SC and also rejected an interview request from lsu. Apparently he has a hefty raise promised from JCCool.

BigRedJed
3/27/2008, 03:24 PM
He had dinner last night at Mickey Mantle's, and held the door open for me when we were both walking in. Hope that helps.

Collier11
3/27/2008, 03:43 PM
He had dinner last night at Mickey Mantle's, and held the door open for me when we were both walking in. Hope that helps.

was that after you saw him in the airport?

badger
3/27/2008, 04:10 PM
*cough* (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080327_2__Unive62372)

stoopified
3/27/2008, 11:23 PM
Well thank goodness I have been prven right.......at least this once.