PDA

View Full Version : Final Season Grades, Wrap-Up, and Peak Ahead..

OUSKINS
3/24/2008, 07:07 AM
www.edkleese.blogspot.com

Final OU Hoops Wrap-Up/Look Ahead

It ended with a thud. The Oklahoma Sooners got run out of the gym in Birmingham on Sunday. Louisville was better in every phase of the game and cruised to a berth in the Sweet Sixteen. If these teams played ten more times, I would expect this same result in at least eight of those contests. OU was no match, and in reality, they didn’t even appear to belong. And maybe they didn’t.

However, in essence, that is exactly why this season was such a smashing success.

In terms of talent and experience (both on the roster and in the coaching staff), the Sooners were not on the level of a team like Louisville. And when they faced the elite teams in college basketball this season, those weaknesses were exposed. The Cardinals just delivered the final blow. But Sooner fans knew the writing was on the wall based on how their team fared against Kansas and Texas in Big 12 play.

But beyond those few elite teams, OU proved that they could beat anyone in the nation. They outsmarted, outhustled, and “out-clutched” teams throughout the year. When they fell on hard times (such as when they lost at home to Stephen F. Austin), they bounced back and righted the ship.

Their two best players, Blake Griffin and Longar Longar, both suffered significant leg injuries that caused them to miss games and hampered them even after their return. But OU never folded, even when it appeared they had no hope. The climax of the season may have come in the second to last regular season game, when OU went into Stillwater without Griffin and beat the surging Cowboys. This victory virtually sealed OU’s improbable trip to the Big Dance.

From a fan’s view, winning is always paramount, but memories matter as well. And this team certainly provided some wonderful memories. Whether it was the double overtime victory in West Virginia, David Godbold’s last second heave against Texas Tech, the amazing overtime victory over Baylor in the Lloyd Noble Center, the sweep of the Bedlam Series, or the first round victory over St. Joe’s in the NCAA Tournament, OU fans have reason to smile when reflecting on the 2007-2008 campaign.

And to think, when coach Jeff Capel entered the picture two years ago, the cupboard was bare.

Now, entering just his third season next year, Capel has given OU fans plenty of reason to be optimistic about the future.

If Griffin returns, the Sooners could find themselves an early favorite to finish in the top three of the Big 12 next year. OU loses only Longar and Godbold from this year’s team, and they will be adding high school phenom Willie Warren to the mix. Warren is just what the doctored ordered for the Sooners. Too many times this year, the OU guards were exposed. Now, players such as Austin Johsnon and Tony Crocker can fill particular roles around Warren, rather than being relied upon to run the show themselves. In basketball, one elite player can turn an pretty good team into a dominant one. If Warren’s talent translates to the college game, then OU will have an inside-outside duo that could match any in the country. In addition to Warren, the Sooners will also add UCLA transfer Ryan Wright, and a interesting mix of other newcomers with size.

The Sooners also add experience. The returning players accomplished more than anyone expected this year, and along the way, they learned some valuable lessons.

Capel has the look of a superstar coach in the making. People are starting to take notice. Perhaps someday, he’ll be lured to a college basketball powerhouse. But for now, he’s a Sooner. He led us on a very unexpectedly fun ride this year. But more importantly, he has OU fans thinking that next year could be even better.

Final Season Grades:

Capel/Coaching Staff: A. Easy decision here. Not quite an A+ because there were a few times this year that OU lacked effort and energy, however, Capel’s ability to rally and motivate his team after those efforts was exceptional. In terms of X’s and O’s, Capel probably still has more to learn about implementing consistent offensive sets, but he still did wonders considering the talent on the floor. And the Sooners played excellent defense all season, which is almost always a direct correlation to quality coaching.

Longar Longar: B+. Never have I seen a player improve as much as Longar did over the past two seasons. Credit the coaches for sure, but also credit the man himself. Longar was closing in on an all-conference type of season before he suffered a broken bone in his leg—he was never the same after that injury. Became a solid low-post scorer and mid-range shooter. He will be missed next year.

David Godbold: A-. From virtual walk-on to scoring 25 points in an NCAA Tournament game. If only every player had Godbold’s heart. His natural limitations rendered him ineffective many times this year, but Godbold always seemed to have a hand in OU’s brighter moments throughout the season. A dominanting defender. At times, he struggled with shot selection and ball handling, but overall. Godbold got the absolute most out of what he had. Having said that, Godbold is a replaceable player.

Austin Johnson: C+. Had his moments, but disappears too often. Still makes way too many mental mistakes and has lapses in effort. He isn’t a natural point guard, so it’s hard to criticize him too much for his deficiencies in that area, but he could make more of a point to distribute the ball. Could very well thrive off the ball when Warren arrives next year.

Taylor Griffin: B-. Slightly disappointing season for Taylor. Didn’t improve much from his sophomore season. Always hustles and hits the boards, but at times, his decisions when he had the ball in his hands were terrible. Settled for too many jump shots and was often wild when taking the ball to the basket. However, he did play extremely well off of his brother, and filled in nicely during the two games Blake was out. Looking for Taylor to fill a leadership role next year.

Omar Leary: C. Did what was asked of him. Extremely limited in both the size and talent department. Not a good on-ball defender or ball handler. Hard worker and can occasionally make some shots from downtown. He did have a major hand in wins over Gonzaga and Oklahoma State. Not sure how many minutes he’s going to get next year.

Tony Crocker: B. The “mystery man” on the team. At times, Crocker was brilliant. At other times, he was dreadful. Very confusing player. Without Crocker, OU doesn’t come close to winning many of their key games throughout the year, but he was also a major reason they lost to some lesser teams. He seems to get down on himself. If his shot doesn’t fall early, he goes into a shell. His defense fluctuates as well. All in all, he had a solid season and is an intruiging option headed into his junior year. Very excited to see him alongside Warren.

Blake Griffin: A. Incredible natural talent. Also works extremely hard and came up big in clutch situations. Amazing recovery from injuries which points to physical gifts and high character. Knows his game is in the paint and doesn’t stray far away. Great finisher and dominant on the glass. Could defend a bit better. Really needs to extend his offensive game outside of the paint. Give him an real threat on the perimeter (Warren) and he could be Player of the Year material. His game needs some polishing and he would be wise to return. Fingers firmly crossed on that one.

Cade Davis/Tony Neysmith: Incomplete. Both saw limited minutes this year. Davis showed some flashes and Neysmith seems to be a gritty defender. Neither saw enough action to really judge. Neysmith could get lost in the guard rotation next year, but I expect Davis to be a regular.

Awards

MVP: Blake Griffin. Extremely easy choice. Had he been at 100% for the entire season, his numbers would have been even more impressive.

Defensive MVP: David Godbold. Time and again he was asked to guard the opposition's best player, regardless of size. Shut down some excellent scorers, most notbaly Pat Calathes in the first round of the Tournament.

Most Improved: Tony Crocker. Longar would seem the natural choice here, but he made his biggest jump in improvement from his sophomore to junior season. He was better this year, but I think Crocker showed the most improvement, despite his erratic play. A frustrating, but highly intruiging player.

Worst Individual Moment: Scoring 12 points in the first half at Nebraska. OU got throttled that night, and at the time, their season appeared to be crumbling.

Best Individual Moment: The late-game sequence against Baylor in overtime at the Lloyd Noble Center. Crocker's four-point play, followed by the two free throw misses and scramble for the ball were incredible. I've never seen the LNC quite so loud or crazy. I also think this game may have been a turning point for Sooner fans finally connecting with the team.

Worst Loss: A horrendous effort in a loss at Colorado. Loss cost OU some valuable RPI points that may have elevated them even more on Selection Sunday.

Best Win: In many ways, the season was "capped" with the win in Stillwater. Not only did it virtually lock up a Tournament berth, but it also crushed the Cowboys' hopes and ensured a season sweep. Extremely satisfying win.

Overall Season Grade: A. No doubt about it. Most fans would have called going to the NIT a step in the right direction…making the second round of the NCAA Tournament was gravy. Best news is that it didn’t feel like a flash in the pan or one-time magical run. Young team with an influx of talent headed to Norman. Man, when does fall practice start!?

crawfish
3/24/2008, 07:23 AM
I might give them a slightly worse grade (for losing some games really, really badly), but overall I think that's on the money. A great job was done with some physically limited guards.

OUSKINS
3/24/2008, 08:00 AM
I might give them a slightly worse grade (for losing some games really, really badly), but overall I think that's on the money. A great job was done with some physically limited guards.

I would have downgraded them some considering those losses, BUT....they always came back from those low points and rallied. Not only are our guards physically limited, but losing Keith Clark combined with the injuries would have crippled lesser teams/coaches.

SteelClip49
3/24/2008, 09:42 AM
first year under Capel was a good learning process and 2007-08 was beyond amazing, at least to me. This team doesn't have all-world talent and there were inconsistencies at times but despite all that, this was a season to remember as one that was a quick success, one of fun and nonstop cheers win or lose.

This is my favorite OU basketball team yet...even more than the teams from 2000-2005 under Sampson. I was never much of a Sampson fan although he delivered quite a bit of success.

Capel brought FUN into the program at the same time they needed to be serious. They went (4-2) OOC against tourney teams which included a nice 3 game winning streak over Arkansas, Gonzaga and Sweet Sixteen bound West Virginia. What, 23-12 to end the season 2 years after what was looked at as a total collapse after Sampson? This team deserves a lot of credit and praise for what they have done. I just hope Capel stays because he has made Oklahoma basketball fun, serious and competitive all at the same time.

OUSKINS
3/24/2008, 12:13 PM
Capel brought FUN into the program at the same time they needed to be serious. They went (4-2) OOC against tourney teams which included a nice 3 game winning streak over Arkansas, Gonzaga and Sweet Sixteen bound West Virginia. What, 23-12 to end the season 2 years after what was looked at as a total collapse after Sampson? This team deserves a lot of credit and praise for what they have done. I just hope Capel stays because he has made Oklahoma basketball fun, serious and competitive all at the same time.

Can't discount the "fun" factor. As much as fans like to say all that matters is winning, it's certainly more enjoyable when you LIKE the players, coaches, and style of play. This was a fun season for sure. I felt as if my season tickets were well worth it and I fully plan on renewing next year. In the end, you can't ask for much else.....

But.........

If BG, Capel, and WW are all here next year, you better believe expectations will be raised :)

starrca23
3/24/2008, 12:25 PM
Wow, My favorite team is 20 years old. But, I was disturbed at the lack of intensity during the loss. Other than that, I have been pleased with Capel and the team progress.

cheezyq
3/24/2008, 12:53 PM
If BG, Capel, and WW are all here next year, you better believe expectations will be raised :)

This kind of thinking interests me, because I'm not familiar with our incoming class of talent. Yeah, I know the names, and I know how many stars they have in their recruiting profiles, but I'm curious what each player's strengths are, and how they'll fit into our system.

But what we've learned this year about youth is that they're unpredictable, inconsistent. Talent-wise, Neysmith and Cade Davis perhaps should have started for us all year, but they were too inconsistent to merit starter status. I forsee the same with this upcoming class potentially. Perhaps WW will show the same basketball maturity as BG and our other guards will make some progress in the off-season. But our inside game next year will almost completely consist of BG, and that's not ideal.

I like where Capel is taking us, and he's definitely shown that he can grow a team as the year comes along. But I'm not cashing in my paycheck for a ticket to Detroit in 2009 just yet. 2008/2009 could end up being a transition year for us if the experience and maturity don't catch up with the "talent" fairly soon. But it will be nice to get this rough year behind us and watch as our Sooners get better and better. Hopefully next season will end in at least a Sweet 16 finish.

crawfish
3/24/2008, 01:33 PM
This kind of thinking interests me, because I'm not familiar with our incoming class of talent.

Understand that next year - if Blake & Capel stays (so Warren honors his LOI) - will be the first time in our school's history we've had two McDAA's playing on the same team. Amazing, considering the success we've had in the past.

It doesn't mean much (see OSU this year with two), but I think heightened expectations are justified.

FYI, some consider Warren to be the best offensive guard in this year's class.

cheezyq
3/24/2008, 03:37 PM
Understand that next year - if Blake & Capel stays (so Warren honors his LOI) - will be the first time in our school's history we've had two McDAA's playing on the same team. Amazing, considering the success we've had in the past.

It doesn't mean much (see OSU this year with two), but I think heightened expectations are justified.

FYI, some consider Warren to be the best offensive guard in this year's class.

Ouch, the emboldened part scares me. Please don't mention that again. :D (fortunately, we have Capel and not Fievel)

Seriously, though, I'm happy to see Capel recruiting well, and I really hope (and believe) WW and others will come as advertised. I'm just wondering if it's enough to provide immediate relief next year, that's all. I'm fairly good at analyzing players/teams that I've seen. The obvious problem being, I haven't seen our recruits play.

So, I'll take for granted that WW is a stud in the making. I'll also expect that Davis, Neysmith, Crocker, Johnson, and Leary will be much better with another year of experience. AJ was much better this year than the last 2 years, IMHO. But I'm more interested in how we'll replace LL and who's going to take the pressure off of BG and give him some rest. The Griffins are our only proven inside presence, and everyone else will be new to the team or largely untested.

As I've said in other threads, teams like KU and Texas succeed because they have ridiculous depth on the interior, and very good guard play (you know, guards who can take care of the ball AND shoot, not just do one or the other). You don't need as much depth at the guard positions because most fouls occur on the inside, where the big guys roam.

That said, I foresee a lot of situations like this year, where our frontcourt is marred with either injuries or fouls (deserved or not), allowing the opponent to get to the basket without much resistance. If the officiating stays the same between now and next year, then we're in for another long year if we don't have depth on the inside. So, I'd be curious to see what people have to say about our incoming big men.

With Capel as coach, I think we'll improve over time next year, and we'll see another example of why we should make sure he never leaves. But I can also see us facing teams that have superior talent, with the same frustrating results as we saw this year.

Or......I'm just ticked at the latest OU game, and I am overreacting. In which case, you have permission to slap me. ;)

OUSKINS
3/24/2008, 05:21 PM
Cheezy--

I'd share some of the same concerns if I didn't believe WW to be an elite recruit. If he was just really good, then I could still see us having trouble next year at times. But the kid is elite. A phenom in terms of talent. And he's not just an athletic freak-- he has incredibly good basketball skills.

Putting him and Blake on the floor at the same time will be amazing. Then, the rest of the guys all become more dangerous playing true roles.

silverwheels
3/24/2008, 05:30 PM
I only wish we had Longar for another year. He improved so much from 2 years ago....

cheezyq
3/24/2008, 07:53 PM
Cheezy--

I'd share some of the same concerns if I didn't believe WW to be an elite recruit. If he was just really good, then I could still see us having trouble next year at times. But the kid is elite. A phenom in terms of talent. And he's not just an athletic freak-- he has incredibly good basketball skills.

Putting him and Blake on the floor at the same time will be amazing. Then, the rest of the guys all become more dangerous playing true roles.

Oh, I'm with you, I can't wait to see them playing together. Like I said though, the one thing that concerns me is the unproven situation behind the Griffins down low. To me, that's the one ingredient that turns this from a good team that pulls off the occasional upset into a legit top 15 contender. That, and experience/maturity. Either way, it's exciting to see us moving in the right direction so quickly after the disaster that was Calvin Simpson's phone bill.

OUSKINS
3/24/2008, 08:19 PM
Oh, I'm with you, I can't wait to see them playing together. Like I said though, the one thing that concerns me is the unproven situation behind the Griffins down low. To me, that's the one ingredient that turns this from a good team that pulls off the occasional upset into a legit top 15 contender. That, and experience/maturity. Either way, it's exciting to see us moving in the right direction so quickly after the disaster that was Calvin Simpson's phone bill.

Not TOO worried about froncourt depth next year. We'll be adding Wright and a few more big bodies from the JUCO level. Good news is that with Blake, we really don't need any other "presence" in the middle-- just a few guys who can hit the boards, take up space, and not let the team get pushed around when Blake is on the bench.

ole-reb
3/24/2008, 08:48 PM
If WW plays in college like HS look out. I watched him dismantle our
team in the regional finals. He scored 47 on 3 pointers, short jumpers, layups dunks just name it. Really fun to watch. May be in Texas but

GO SOONERS

birddog
3/24/2008, 09:32 PM
nice work, skins.

OUSKINS
3/25/2008, 06:48 AM
Thanks bird--- I'm probably the only Sooner fan alive that is looking PAST football season already and getting excited about next hoops season :)

IronHorseSooner
3/25/2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks bird--- I'm probably the only Sooner fan alive that is looking PAST football season already and getting excited about next hoops season

Next year could be a VERY good year to be a Sooners fan. The football team is loaded, WW is just who the doctor ordered to make this team really good, and if Sherry can get another shooter besides Jenna, then the women's team will also be top ten. All three should start the season ranked- football in the top 3, women in the top 10, men in the top 20. Does anybody else feel like this is possible?

thedeanisin
3/25/2008, 03:29 PM
I hope so. Does this mean that the the Sooners may even win a bowl game? No matter, I am looking forward to the new seasons and the new Sooners.

Ruuuuuufus
3/25/2008, 08:48 PM
peek

sooneron
3/25/2008, 09:14 PM
This season went pretty much as I had expected. No big surprises and some glimmers of hope. I think the future looks solid.

King Crimson
3/25/2008, 09:21 PM
i'd give AJ better than C+. Taylor beats Tech by himself, though control is a real issue. however, he makes his FT's which is a big PLUS this year.

Leary does what he needs to do, B- at least.

sooneron
3/25/2008, 09:37 PM
I think Godbold got a little too high of a grade. I saw a guard miss some free throws that he should not have.