PDA

View Full Version : Going to DC for two days - need ideas.

SeattleOUstudent
3/23/2008, 06:18 PM
I know all the obvious sites, but what are some recomended sites for such a short visit? I need 1 or 2 museum ideas (since the Museum of National Hist is closed)....and 1 or 2 good dinner ideas. Nothing too over the top or expensive. TIA!:texan:

Viking Kitten
3/23/2008, 06:32 PM
Air and Space museum, both the one on the Mall and the one out at Dulles Airport. The one on the Mall has a temporary exhibit devoted to the American History museum while it's closed, so you get to kill two birds with one stone. The one at Dulles has the Winnie May, a Concord and a test space shuttle.

Viking Kitten
3/23/2008, 06:41 PM
I liked the Natural History Museum a lot too... pretty diverse exhibits there. The Hope Diamond is probably the best known, but I thought the mammal wing was really interesting.

joeTsooner
3/23/2008, 06:58 PM
Bens Chili Bowl on U St NW and 13th St.

The place has got so much flavor!

StoopTroup
3/23/2008, 07:03 PM
You can go into the National Archives if you get done with the Air and Space Museum. Just walk across the Mall to the other side.

I did it the time I had a day there. I'll never forget it either.

http://www.nhhistory.org/eimages/NationalArchives.jpg

http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/washington/ (http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/washington/)

reevie
3/23/2008, 07:03 PM
They have a new spy museum. I didn't get to make it when I was up there in November, but that could be a cool way to spend a couple of hours.

Take the Metro as much as possible and have some really good walking shoes.

StoopTroup
3/23/2008, 07:07 PM
I also got by the Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, A short visit to Congress, Walked in front of the White House, Didn't have time to go up into the Washington Monument but walked up to it.

If the Weather is nice and it's not to crowed, you can see lots of stuff on foot. Don't park illegal...they'll slap a boot on your car faster than you can say hey stop! :D

reevie
3/23/2008, 07:17 PM
I did get to see the WWII and Korean War memorials for the first time in November. Hitting the Korean memorial at night was probably the perfect timing based on the way it is laid out.

OUHOMER
3/23/2008, 07:23 PM
Take a hand gun with you what ever you do.

GottaHavePride
3/23/2008, 07:53 PM
Do NOT let him try to shoot the cat.

sooneron
3/23/2008, 07:54 PM
Go eat and booze it up in Adams Morgan.

SoonerJack
3/23/2008, 09:05 PM
Korean War Memorial is so cool. I love DC.

Jimminy Crimson
3/24/2008, 03:11 AM
Very cliche, but very good.

Old Ebbit Grill

http://www.ebbitt.com/main/index-flash.cfm

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2008, 06:44 AM
Very cliche, but very good.

Old Ebbit Grill

http://www.ebbitt.com/main/index-flash.cfmSecond. If you're doing the cliche DC bars, I'd also recommend Bullfeathers. The Spy Museum is really cool and you can walk across the street to the Portrait Gallery and see Stephen Colbert by the 2nd floor bathrooms if he is still there.

OU4LIFE
3/24/2008, 07:11 AM
if you only have time for two, and the History one is closed, I'd recommend the National Archives, just for the simple fact that the DOI is there, and is in terrible shape, see it while you can. It's deteriorating quickly.

and go to the Holocaust museum, it's sounds like a downer, but it's a great place to gain some perspective. VERY good visit.

and then you can do the sightseeing thing of the Lincoln, Korean War Memorial and do yourself a favor and go to Arlington.

Sooner_Bob
3/24/2008, 08:33 AM
I want to go visit The National Museum of the American Indian when I go back there next.

47straight
3/24/2008, 10:28 AM
I was there a few months ago. One of the big problems with seeing stuff is how early museums close this time of year.

SO - if you would like to maximize your time, the National Portrait Gallery is open until 7 or later. If you hit one of the other museums, you can go hit the NPG afterwards!

It was *much* cooler than it sounds. I went only b/c that's the only thing that was open. Like any good museum, you actually learn some history and other stuff along with the portraits.

They have the portraits of various figures in American history arranged by time period. If you only have a short time, go upstairs and see the Hall of Presidents first, to see some of the famous George Washington paintings.

47straight
3/24/2008, 10:32 AM
I want to go visit The National Museum of the American Indian when I go back there next.

My friend in the museum biz says it's pretty disappointing.

Apparently they let many groups from different tribes design their own/have too much say-so in each exhibit. The problem is that there's no really good overarching story, stuff doesn't flow, and the exhibits are pretty uneven, some decent, some pretty bad. She said that the various museums in OK about Native Americans were actually better in a lot of ways.

It stinks that by trying to do the right thing they messed it up, b/c a museum like that should be a crown jewel in content and form.

SeattleOUstudent
3/24/2008, 12:24 PM
Second. If you're doing the cliche DC bars, I'd also recommend Bullfeathers. The Spy Museum is really cool and you can walk across the street to the Portrait Gallery and see Stephen Colbert by the 2nd floor bathrooms if he is still there.

Whats this about a spy museum? What building is it in? Sounds mui interressant!

OU4LIFE
3/24/2008, 12:28 PM
it's not as interesting as it sounds, man.

srsly

joeTsooner
3/24/2008, 01:34 PM
it's not as interesting as it sounds, man.

srsly

It is on of the only museums that cost money and it is so not wirht it.

sooneron
3/24/2008, 01:37 PM
I second the Holocaust museum, THEN You definitely need to hit Adams Morgan for some booze. Ebbit is good for brunch, imo.

3/24/2008, 02:01 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/zebthethird/eddiesniff.gif

SoonerAcesUp
3/24/2008, 02:42 PM
I hear you can get a $5,900/hr hooker in DC. Spitzer might be of assistance.;)

Wait...you said inexpensive. NM.

C&CDean
3/24/2008, 03:15 PM
Since I've spent vast portions of the past 18 years of my life in DC, I'll give you the correct advice in order:

1. Air & Space.
2. Holocaust.
3. Vietnam/Korean Memorials.
4. WWII Memorial.
5. Archives.
6. American History.
7. Natural History.
8. Ford Theater.
9. Lincoln Memorial.
10. White House.
11. Capitol.
12. Washington Monument.

Don't know a thing about the "Spy Museum."

For eats at a decent price I always recommend:

1. Orleans House. It's right across the street from the Rosslyn Metro stop. Prime rib/salad bar kinda place.

2. Harp & Fiddle Irish Pub. It's a few blocks from the Bethesda Metro stop. It's also surrounded by a bunch of good Italian joints, and several mom & pop sammich/pizzeria/greek/etc. kinda joints.

3. A half-dozen Thai or seafood restaraunts on King St. in Alexandria Old Town. Just take the metro to the King St. station and walk down King St. to the Potomac. You'll pass a hundred decent bars and restaraunts.

OU4LIFE
3/24/2008, 03:20 PM
What? No Arlington?

you succ Deaner.

oh and get the Sam Adams White on tap while you are there. mmmmm

sooner_born_1960
3/24/2008, 03:25 PM
10. White House.
That wouldn't even be on my top 50 list. Between getting tickets, waiting in the bleachers, and going on the sucky tour, we wasted darned near a whole day.

C&CDean
3/24/2008, 03:25 PM
My bad. I would put Arlington between 2 & 3. Especially if you can make the changing of the guard.

C&CDean
3/24/2008, 03:27 PM
That wouldn't even be on my top 50 list. Between getting tickets, waiting in the bleachers, and going on the sucky tour, we wasted darned near a whole day.

Dude, I didn't say go inside. I just said go look at the damn thing.

Back in the day before 9/11, etc. it was a pretty cool visit. Nowdays, I wouldn't waste the time to go on the tour.

sooner_born_1960
3/24/2008, 03:27 PM
Dude, I didn't say go inside. I just said go look at the damn thing.

Back in the day before 9/11, etc. it was a pretty cool visit. Nowdays, I wouldn't waste the time to go on the tour.
OK. That's better.

C&CDean
3/24/2008, 03:31 PM
And the Captiol used to be much higher on my list before 9/11 too. You used to be able to just walk in and sit down in the balcony above while the House/Senate or whoever were in there flapping their gums. We sat in on about a half-hour of some fillibuster the dems were doing back in I think Reagan's presidency. You'd pretty much have free reign of the place (except the restricted corridors) and it was very common to cross paths with all kinds of famous folks. I ran into Tip O'Neill, Fatass Kennedy, and a bunch of other loudmouths. It was pretty cool.

Jimminy Crimson
3/24/2008, 04:08 PM

That's why I only visit after the White House is closed to the public.[/Bruce] :texan:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2008, 04:17 PM
That's why I only visit after the White House is closed to the public.[/Bruce] :texan:I'm calling Homeland Security.