PDA

View Full Version : Boise State, Living A Lie

winnard
3/22/2008, 11:02 PM
Everywhere you look, there's references to the Boise State statue of liberty play. I just saw a commercial with it in there. When are they going to realize that their whole program will be based on that one play of trickery, and not tradition?
How pathetic.

colleyvillesooner
3/22/2008, 11:06 PM
between this post and your avatar, I'd say you have issues letting things go.

winnard
3/22/2008, 11:11 PM
between this post and your avatar, I'd say you have issues letting things go.

That is a nice avatar, huh.

bri
3/22/2008, 11:12 PM
You're wasting valuable typing on the likes of this one. Leave him to his ignorance.

royalfan5
3/22/2008, 11:28 PM
I wonder if the Russians still bitch about the "Miracle on Ice".

milesl
3/22/2008, 11:36 PM
Up where I work on Fridays its casual day (Kansas City company with 800 employees) and I have seen t-shirts from K Staters and Oklahoma Staters about their big win over Oklahoma. When I saw the Okie State one, I laughed out loud - how many years was that ?

bri
3/22/2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I still see the occasional "Stoops, we did it again!" aggy shirt around town. I just laugh, 'cause that perfectly sums up aggy's pathetic little existance. "Oh, sure, we ain't never won a national title or even a conference title, but by god we shore did beat them gooners a couple of times!"

Cotton whores.

OU-HSV
3/23/2008, 07:29 AM
Yesterday I saw the commercial of which I think you speak of. I saw nothing wrong with it. It's final message was "there are no cinderellas...be legendary". I have no problem with it...and it wouldn't be an issue had we stepped up and won that game like we were capable of doing. I admit it gets old seeing the play, but we need to face the reality that they beat us in a "legendary" game..and let them have their 15 minutes of fame. For those of you that haven't seen this commercial, I googled it and found it on youtube.com
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mHza4DIWcFQ

Jacie
3/23/2008, 10:00 AM
Ummm . . . it's not a lie, they really did win the Fiesta Bowl a couple of years ago. While the commercial may grate on Sooners for being endlessly repeated and thus reminding us of an ending we didn't care for, that play of that game represents the epitome of Boise State football. It is unlikely the BSU program will ever achieve such success again. For the blue field fans it is their moment of glory, their miracle-on-grass. In time the commercial will stop running and one will have to frequent ESPN2 for opportunities to see it replayed. The message is, get over it.

XingTheRubicon
3/23/2008, 05:44 PM
I thought the SOL was a great CFB moment. Most coaches don't have the sack to go for the win. I do catch myself pondering BSU's football field catching fire though.

OKC-SLC
3/23/2008, 05:48 PM
it was a great game with an incredible finish. and BSU doesn't and shouldn't choose to downplay it.

starrca23
3/23/2008, 06:29 PM
The point of the commercial: "there are no cinderella's" is that you have to work hard to win...which they did. You don't run that play that well with out practice.

Big Red Ron
3/23/2008, 07:56 PM
Look at it this way, if it wasn't against us, nobody would care.

KantoSooner
3/23/2008, 08:45 PM
Here's a solution so that we don't have to endure stuff like that in the future:

1. Start games with a high level of intensity and jump out to early and decisive leads.

2. Continue the intensity level even as you substitute second and third string players, adding to your insurmountable lead.

3. Smother opponents with disciplined and opportunistic defense, thus completing the demoralization of your foes.

In my view, OU played two complete games last season: North Texas and Missouri (B12 CCG). In all the others there were significant periods of sleep walking. Playing against teams that want what you have, that's not good enough.

Boise won. They wouldn't have had we grabbed them by the throat from the opening bell and used the backs of their little punkin' heads to nail the floorboards back down.

olevetonahill
3/23/2008, 09:15 PM
So then Chupacka or whatever his Face . Can say we Running it up Om em ??????????
Hell Yea, I like that stratgy

goingoneight
3/23/2008, 09:19 PM
Hey... T Boone State is building their program off of Rashaun Woods's pushoff in Norman from like... seven years ago.

Let them have their moment. Hey, we've got lots of moments. I still see posts on here all the time about things that nobody outside of OU fandom cares about.

badger
3/23/2008, 09:22 PM
Between having a gimmicky blue turf and a gimmicky play to win a bowl game, I would have to choose... BOWL WIN.

Get over it, we lost and we were up by 14 near the end of the game. We let the win slip away, we didn't take care of biz. We need to just forget about it, because if we don't, then nobody else will either.

From now on, when we mention STATUE OF LIBERTY, you better be ready to sing the national anthem to this:
http://www.informallearning.com/photos/Liberty%20Island/005%20Statue%20of%20Liberty.jpg
MOVE ON. kplzthx

oudivesherpa
3/23/2008, 09:24 PM
Yah, and I can't get over clip on Joe Wylie on Johnnie Rogers punt return in the "Game of the Century" in 1973. I'll get over though, in another 35 years!

olevetonahill
3/23/2008, 09:26 PM
Make Me !

olevetonahill
3/23/2008, 09:27 PM
Yah, and I can't get over clip on Joe Wylie on Johnnie Rogers punt return in the "Game of the Century" in 1973. I'll get over though, in another 35 years!

Try 71
Dayum nOOb :D

XingTheRubicon
3/23/2008, 09:30 PM
Try 71

No, '73 is right.....Wylie was clipped while Rogers was robbing a liquor store.

colinreturn
3/23/2008, 09:45 PM
ignorant.

Alum81
3/23/2008, 10:11 PM
Between having a gimmicky blue turf and a gimmicky play to win a bowl game, I would have to choose... BOWL WIN.

Get over it, we lost and we were up by 14 near the end of the game.

Actually we were down the whole game, once by as much as 18 points and we only went up by 7 points with 1:02 left in the game.

Still, even being an OU Fan, it was one of the most exciting final 2 minutes and overtime I've ever witnessed.

Props to the Blue Turf boys and we move on.

olevetonahill
3/23/2008, 10:42 PM
No, '73 is right.....Wylie was clipped while Rogers was robbing a liquor store.

Game Of the Century was In 71

CincySooner
3/24/2008, 06:48 AM
Living a lie???? Really??

According to the box score of the 07 Fiesta Bowl, Boise St. did in fact win the game on a trick play.

I don't see the falsehood of the the commecial.

For those of you who dont get it, that game was one of most exciting you will ever see in your lifetime. If you are really a fan of the game you will look beyond the fact that OU lost and realize how rare it was. It's one of the few OU losses I have saved on DVD, but I'm glad I got it recorded.

RedstickSooner
3/24/2008, 07:04 AM
Look, I know it itches. But if you keep scratching, you'll only make it worse.

oudivesherpa
3/24/2008, 07:35 AM
Try 71

It happened right in front of me, I can't see how the Ref's missed it.
You're right it was 71, but hell at my age, I'm glad it's the right decade!

olevetonahill
3/24/2008, 07:49 AM
It happened right in front of me, I can't see how the Ref's missed it.
You're right it was 71, but hell at my age, I'm glad it's the right decade!

I know the feeling :D

XingTheRubicon
3/24/2008, 11:46 AM
Game Of the Century was In 71

I'm aware of when the GOTC was played. After Rogers won his Heisman, he took some creatine and robbed a liquor store.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6809/moreyouknowmo0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BillyBall
3/24/2008, 11:53 AM
Why don't they give more props to the FB pass? That ****ed me off more than the hook and ladder or the SOL....

oupride
3/24/2008, 12:23 PM
Why don't they give more props to the FB pass?

That was the play I feel was the most important, however in regards to the commercial I think less than 1/10 of the viewers even recognize it. To me, at first anyways, I just saw a football team practicing on a field at night. It was not until I said to myself, "Hey, this is basketball season, WHY is there a football team in this commercial?"

Seamus
3/24/2008, 01:05 PM
That is a nice avatar, huh.

Meh, not so much.

olevetonahill
3/24/2008, 03:20 PM
I'm aware of when the GOTC was played. After Rogers won his Heisman, he took some creatine and robbed a liquor store.

Then we be comparin apples to hickies .:D

royalfan5
3/24/2008, 05:07 PM

I'm pretty sure he robbed the gas station before winning the Heisman.

XingTheRubicon
3/24/2008, 05:35 PM
I'm pretty sure he robbed the gas station before winning the Heisman.

Holy crap, you're right. He was convicted of grand larceny in 1971 for knocking over a gas station in 1970. That must have set the precedent for LP, et al.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-10-16-2752000788_x.htm

primetime43
3/25/2008, 07:21 AM
Actually we were down the whole game, once by as much as 18 points and we only went up by 7 points with 1:02 left in the game.

Still, even being an OU Fan, it was one of the most exciting final 2 minutes and overtime I've ever witnessed.

Props to the Blue Turf boys and we move on.

I'll second that. Paul Thompson showed tremendous poise to even get us back into the game. I forget how many 3rd and 4th down and even 2pt conversions we had that were just incredible. However, I have never cheered so loud as I did when Marcus Walker intercepted and scored. In my fantasy world the game ended on that pick 6.

oudivesherpa
3/25/2008, 07:45 AM
Holy crap, you're right. He was convicted of grand larceny in 1971 for knocking over a gas station in 1970. That must have set the precedent for LP, et al.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2007-10-16-2752000788_x.htm

That conviction (Johnnny Roger's) set up a pattern for future OU wins. Every time the Ruf-Necks guns went off the Nebbish receivers would throw up their arms and back away from the pigskin.

TUSooner
3/25/2008, 08:06 AM
The only pathetic thing is the way we played the first 56 minutes of that POS game. BSu got a moment in the sun, let it be.

oupride
3/25/2008, 10:07 AM
The only pathetic thing is the way we played the first 56 minutes of that POS game. BSu got a moment in the sun, let it be.

While Boise State receives the most media exposure it’s ever seen, a BCS appearance is almost routine for Oklahoma. Seriously, that was their moment in the sun. What is painfully forgotten is Malcom Kelly left the game in the first qtr and never returned, which makes the 18 point comeback by Paul Thompson's leadership even more incredible.

shaun4411
3/25/2008, 12:13 PM
i think it's important to think of their frame of mind. this would be like ou beating nebraska in the mid 90's. this was their david vs goliath. it actually put them on the map and gave their program credibility. its unfortunate that ou was forced to be the catalyst in this transition, but that's how they view it. though it isnt the exact same thing, i bet everyone here remembers vividly how great of an event it was back in 2000 when ou beat nebraska to take the #1 spot for the first time in forever.

r5TPsooner
3/25/2008, 12:20 PM
They have score board on us so until that changes, let them hang there hat on beating OU.

As far as college football tradition goes, very few programs have the resume that OU has and I'll rest on that after every tough loss.

soonermix
3/25/2008, 12:21 PM
do you think miami likes to see the flutie hail mary every year?
do you think the cowboy fans enjoy seeing "the catch" every year?

the past is in the past but if i get to relish in the championships and great seasons of OU then i think it is also (at least almost) equally ok to be angry at the defeats.

i will admit that it was a very exciting game and one of the most memorable that i have seen on any level, but the fact remains that i am tired of seeing the statue of liberty play

TUSooner
3/25/2008, 12:29 PM
do you think miami likes to see the flutie hail mary every year?

"hell to da naw!"
BUT I SURE DO!! :D :D :D

oupride
3/26/2008, 03:45 PM
btw does anyone still have a copy of this game they would be willing to trade? I was working that night and got home just in time to see the final seven minutes!!!

OK2LA
3/26/2008, 08:51 PM
We fell for the 'ol banana in the tailpipe gag.

OK2LA
3/26/2008, 08:53 PM
"hell to da naw!"
BUT I SURE DO!! :D :D :D

What's kinda cool about it is - you don't ever really see the play. Whoever owns the rights - (abc?) doesn't let anyone use it (commercial that you speak of is a reinactment (sp?) of the play on Boise's home turf.)

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
3/26/2008, 09:03 PM
Any team with a blue field should be instantly sent to Division III or NAIA!

Nebraska clipped twice on the punt return and Stansbury intercepted in the endzone!

bri
3/26/2008, 09:14 PM
What's kinda cool about it is - you don't ever really see the play. Whoever owns the rights - (abc?) doesn't let anyone use it (commercial that you speak of is a reinactment (sp?) of the play on Boise's home turf.)

Fox owns it, and I seem to recall them letting Pontiac use it last season.

Rather, Nike/Jordan just decided to show "them" practicing the play, since the point of the commercial is that through hard work and dedication in practice, upsets happen.

birddog
3/26/2008, 09:36 PM
btw does anyone still have a copy of this game they would be willing to trade? I was working that night and got home just in time to see the final seven minutes!!!

believe me, there is no reason to torture yourself. if you're a closet bsu fan, you can get a copy pretty easy but no one around here wants to watch that crap again.

bri
3/26/2008, 09:48 PM
Actually, considering OU's incredible second-half comeback and the nigh-legendary finish, I can't imagine why any sports fan wouldn't want a copy of the game.

birddog
3/26/2008, 09:53 PM
yes, sports fan. no, sooner fan.

bri
3/26/2008, 09:56 PM
Yes, Sooner fan.

We showed incredible heart and effort in making that comeback, and by balling up your fists and stomping your feet and trying to pretend like it wasn't a great effort by both teams, you cheapen their performance.

Youngsooner
3/26/2008, 10:16 PM
Rather, Nike/Jordan just decided to show "them" practicing the play, since the point of the commercial is that through hard work and dedication in practice, upsets happen.

In that commercial, why exactly is Chris Paul in it?

bri
3/26/2008, 10:23 PM
'Cause he's a Jordan player and an All-Star?

Youngsooner
3/26/2008, 10:38 PM
Well yeah, I was just wondering how he fit into the "Cinderella" criteria

bri
3/26/2008, 10:46 PM
Couldn't tell ya. Tough to parlay being the fourth overall draft pick into the classic Cinderella story. I guess they had to have someone who wears Jordan brand in the commercial, and no one likes Carmello Anthony anymore. :D

Stoop Dawg
3/26/2008, 10:50 PM
Actually, I'm a little happy about that commercial. The fact that it is widely known as a "miracle upset" speaks volumes about the country's respect for OU football. If said upset were against, say, OSU, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

goingoneight
3/27/2008, 12:12 AM
Actually, considering OU's incredible second-half comeback and the nigh-legendary finish, I can't imagine why any sports fan wouldn't want a copy of the game.

Ask any random OSU fan... they have 22 gold-plated DVDs from the Bob Stoops era. If you want a hat or T-shirt, they got those, too.

soonerspudman
3/27/2008, 12:44 AM
Actually, I'm a little happy about that commercial. The fact that it is widely known as a "miracle upset" speaks volumes about the country's respect for OU football. If said upset were against, say, OSU, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

People need to keep in mind the line on this game was 7 points, only a mild upset in anyone's book. Not taking away from the game, she was a beauty, but it's become revisionist history that this was a massive upset - it wasn't.

oupride
3/27/2008, 08:00 AM
believe me, there is no reason to torture yourself. if you're a closet bsu fan, you can get a copy pretty easy but no one around here wants to watch that crap again.

I only got to see the OU/int TD forward.

Stoop Dawg
3/27/2008, 11:02 AM
People need to keep in mind the line on this game was 7 points, only a mild upset in anyone's book. Not taking away from the game, she was a beauty, but it's become revisionist history that this was a massive upset - it wasn't.

Hence the "Cinderella" commercial. :rolleyes:

Whether it was an upset on paper or not (and for the record, I believe that BSU had a great team that year), it was a major upset in terms of college football tradition. A so-called mid-major not only winning a BCS game, but a BCS game against the likes of OU.

bri
3/27/2008, 11:15 AM
Exactly. It was the football equivalent of George Mason making the Final Four a couple of years ago. It was bigger than "team B upset team A", it was "a mighty blow for all the mid-majors".

snp
3/29/2008, 08:01 AM

Just the actual game footage. All commercials and stuff are cut out:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/5103/tostitos-fiesta-bowl-2007-the-2007-tostitos-fiesta-bowl-short-cut

oupride
3/29/2008, 11:09 PM
First of all, thanks to snp for posting the link. I work 76 hours a week and was unable to see the game. Watching it tonight was not as painful as I thought it would be. What I saw was a mid-major team that never dominated the game, but was placed into the position to win by early mistakes. Without those turnovers Oklahoma should have won it easily. Again, many thanks snp!

goingoneight
3/30/2008, 03:07 AM
If you watch it simply as a football analyst, no crimson shades or orange aggy kool-aid... you'll see that Oklahoma, physically was a better team that just flat-out got surprised by how BSU stood up to them and the game was like any other... it rested on turnovers. PT tossed three interceptions and fumbled the ball on another possession deep in OUr own territory. Two of those turnovers turned into easy touchdowns, the others totally sucked the air/life/momentum out of a team in Oklahoma that was slowly but surely trying to gain it. The final TD drive by OU and 2-pointer was the result of a gassed BSU defense selling out to stop Adrian Peterson, who was as fresh as he just started... hence the alias "All Day." All throughout his college career people talked about how he was never beat, down, "gassed" or worn out. Same could be said for Boise State's final TD drive in regulation. After the hook-and-lateral, it was pretty clear that neither team would flunk in OT and that we were headed for a shootout. Chris Petersen, IMHO... doesn't get the credit for the greatest move of the game which was to go for 2 on a hunch that his team could pull off one of the biggest plays in CFB history. When you think about it... neither team could stop the opposition, and the only way "David" beats "Goliath" is to pin him while he's down. After one OT, you HAVE to go for two. CP banked on Oklahoma going 6-2-6-2-6-2-6-2 as long as his boys could keep up. It was plain and simple that while his team had plenty of amazing in them that night, that it just wouldn't be enough in a sudden death showdown with a powerhouse team that couldn't miss.

I don't know that you could say OUr 2007 effort would have been half as good as it was had Boise State not humbled them and the media humiliated them all off-season.

Salt City Sooner
3/30/2008, 12:00 PM
A couple of things:

1. Petersen has said several times that he went for 2 because he knew that if the game kept going that his defense had no shot to stop OU anymore because they were worn out. He said the ease in which AD scored in the OT was what made him think this.

2. You don't have to go for 2 until the 3rd OT.

oupride
3/30/2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks Salt Lake!