PDA

View Full Version : Jack Mildren

Sooner_75
3/22/2008, 09:41 PM
Just saw a post on jimtraber.com that Jack is going to Houston for another round of chemo. Hope all goes well with Mr. Mildren.

Mjcpr
3/23/2008, 12:05 AM
I've heard that he's been battling cancer for a while now. I hope he responds well.....cancer is a bitch. :(

King Crimson
3/23/2008, 01:54 AM
good luck to Jack.

reading jimtrabor.com?

Flagstaffsooner
3/23/2008, 02:11 PM
nm

Flagstaffsooner
3/23/2008, 02:12 PM
Prayers for Jack. The '71 wishbone was a thing of awesome beauty.

Tailwind
3/23/2008, 02:45 PM
Hope he makes it through.

OKC-SLC
3/23/2008, 04:11 PM
sorry, i'm ignorant. anyone know what kind of cancer?

OU-HSV
3/23/2008, 04:13 PM
sorry, i'm ignorant. anyone know what kind of cancer?

I found this story.

...Six months ago a simple trip to the doctor for persistent hiccups turned into a nightmare for Jack and his family. A cancerous tumor was found in his lower esophagus. Prognosis to live was three months to three years if he couldn't beat it. Immediately the emotional pain began taking its toll....

Looks to possibly be an older story, but here's a link to the full story.
http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=5697588

BigRedJed
3/23/2008, 04:13 PM
Great QB, and great guy. Get well, Jack.

BigRedJed
3/23/2008, 04:17 PM
Wow. I had hiccups one time that lasted for a few weeks. The doc eventually decided it was somehow related to a nerve in my abdomen. It went away shortly after she prescribed some meds. Extended bout of the hiccups = teh succ. Sore abdominal muscles become pretty wracking pain after a few days. Think about working a muscle until it burns and then continuing to do reps. For days. But I never even considered cancer. That's awful. He'll definitely be in my thoughts.

OKC-SLC
3/23/2008, 05:33 PM
there is not a good kind of esophageal cancer to have.

i'm sure hoping for the best.

PLaw
3/23/2008, 05:57 PM
God speed to a full and healthy recovery, Jack. You helped restore the glory after some down years in the 60's and provided me with memories that are as fresh today as they were back in '71.

BOOMER

boomersooner28
3/23/2008, 07:15 PM
Dayum. Was wondering why I hadn't heard him on the SA. I love hearing Jack on the radio. Wonderful guy and wonderful Sooner. Get well Jack!

MyT Oklahoma
3/24/2008, 12:29 PM
Wishing for only the best for Brother Mildren and his family. You hang in there Jack.

JGH
KS Beta 1174 & KS Gamma 964.5

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/24/2008, 02:32 PM
there is not a good kind of esophageal cancer to have.

i'm sure hoping for the best.
Wouldn't it most likely be small cell?

Remembering Tom Stidham
3/24/2008, 04:33 PM
I attended the Oil Bowl when Jack played for Texas. I listened to him talk to his teammates at halftime. I knew we were getting a winner. His hair and skin coloring were so much like mine. I have been battling one cancer after another for a decade or more. And I never smoked. Jack didn't either, I think.

SoonerInLubbock
3/24/2008, 04:37 PM
Prayers from the Wilde family. Beat this sucker!!!

oupride
3/25/2008, 03:29 PM
Wishing you the best Jack!

OKC-SLC
3/25/2008, 04:02 PM
Wouldn't it most likely be small cell?

In the US over 90% are either squamous cell or adenocarcinoma (about equal these days). Small cell is one of the less common types of esoph ca.

The problem is that over half of cases of esophageal cancer are already advanced by the time of diagnosis. In some countries (east Asia, for example) they actually do screening UPPER endoscopies like we do screening colonoscopies because they've been able to identify who may be at higher risk (for squamous, anyway).

OUfan7
3/25/2008, 07:19 PM
My dad had throat cancer, that was years ago and he is still with us. Hang in there Jack, we will be praying for you.

oudivesherpa
3/25/2008, 07:33 PM
If you need Cancer treatment, there probably isn't a better place than MD Anderson in Houston.

soonerspudman
3/25/2008, 08:29 PM
For anyone who didn't have the pleasure of watching Jack and the birth of OU's wishbone, enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPL1KsFmepk

Animal Mother
3/28/2008, 10:08 AM
God speed to a full and healthy recovery, Jack. You helped restore the glory after some down years in the 60's and provided me with memories that are as fresh today as they were back in '71.

BOOMER

66-6 over the cowchips in 1970. I can still remember laughing uncontrollably because oswho had nary a clue as to how to stop the ‘bone. My buddy Scott and I just kept walking out of his parents’ garage on Joe St and signaling/screaming "touchdown OU" every couple of minutes. Live long Jack Mildren.

OldTimeSooner
3/28/2008, 12:04 PM
Thinking about Jack and what he has meant to the Sooners and me personally over the years, I recalled a Sports Illustrated article from September of 1968 about the recruiting battle between most of the Southwest Conference and OU, which we fortunately won. It was a very detailed story, as I recall, probably involving the writer following the recruiters around. The new "Vault" feature on SI says that we can read those oldies now - so I went straight there.

That issue has been deleted! Why would that one alone be unavailable? Must be intentional. Coverage of the Mexico City Olympics may have been too critical of the "Black Power" protests, I guess. How can we complain to SI and get them to release this story? It really is a fabulous article about Jack and hpw he handled the pressures, and the dramatic moment of his decision.

Ideas?

And all my prayers for Jack!!!