PDA

View Full Version : sooners who left under sampson?

getrdone
3/22/2008, 06:16 PM
Besides Lavender who is turning out to be a dang good pg, who else left from that recruiting class? I can't remember them.

Newbomb Turk
3/22/2008, 06:20 PM
I think McKenzie was in the same class. Kinda a PG/SG combo.

Ground_Attack
3/22/2008, 06:23 PM
McKenzie (transferred to Minnesota)
Foust (not sure what happened to him)
Tobias (went JUCO)
Williams (not sure if he left or finished...he was a JUCO transfer)

I think the only one that stayed was Longar.

SleestakSooner
3/22/2008, 06:23 PM
McKenzie went to Minnesota and did about as well as he was doing at OU. Perhaps a bit better since Tubby Smith arrived.

I don't even want to go into the three big ones that decommitted after Sampson bailed to Indiana. But if you count them as well there could be four or five former OU guys that are now about to play in the sweet 16 for teams other than the Sooners.

Newbomb Turk
3/22/2008, 06:27 PM
Williams (not sure if he left or finished...he was a JUCO transfer)

he stuck around.

OUMonster
3/22/2008, 06:32 PM
Was Larry Turner in Lavender's class?

Jay C. Upchurch
3/22/2008, 06:42 PM
No one else who left under Sampson went on to do anything of major significance anywhere else... and there were several, including Ryan Humphrey, DeAngelo Alexander, Brandon Foust, Lawrence McKenzie, Larry Turner and J.R. Raymond (besides Lavender).

Humphrey started two seasons at Notre Dame, never developed into the offensive threat he throught he could be, was taken in the first round of the 2002 NBA Draft, played sparingly for three seasons before going overseas to play professionally in Italy.

McKenzie just finished off his collegiate career with a decent senior season with the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Foust transferred to Southwest Missouri State and was a spot starter over the last two seasons.

Alexander started two seasons at UNC-Charlotte and was a solid player. But he too fancied himself better than he actually was, and never got a shot in the NBA. Whereabouts unknown at this point.

Raymond could have been a star at OU, but could not play by the rules. Too many team violations and issues with the law forced Sampson to cut the cords his junior season.

Turner transferred to Tennessee State and was a solid player. He actually signed with the Lakers last year for a short time, but has spent most of his time playing in the CBA and instructional leagues.

shaun4411
3/22/2008, 06:44 PM
i think the players who left before last season hurt even more. they could have elevated ou to a level we could only imagine with griffiin playing with 'em.

getrdone
3/22/2008, 06:47 PM
thanks for the replies-I had remembered alexander and such but couldn't remember the class with lavender.

SleestakSooner
3/22/2008, 06:58 PM
i think the players who left before last season hurt even more. they could have elevated ou to a level we could only imagine with griffiin playing with 'em.

They might have been able to help OU last season. After leaving the team they all had to sit out at least one year before playing for anyone else. I think they would have all graduated or run out of eligibility by last season if they had stayed at OU.

Readyfor8
3/22/2008, 09:10 PM
They might have been able to help OU last season. After leaving the team they all had to sit out at least one year before playing for anyone else. I think they would have all graduated or run out of eligibility by last season if they had stayed at OU.

I think he's talking about Damien James and that other dude for Nova, Scotty Reynolds I think is his name...

Eielson
3/22/2008, 11:55 PM
Foust (not sure what happened to him)

I believe he went to jail.

Collier11
3/22/2008, 11:59 PM
Alexander started two seasons at UNC-Charlotte and was a solid player. But he too fancied himself better than he actually was, and never got a shot in the NBA. Whereabouts unknown at this point.

He is playing in Romania, here is his generic player profile...you have to login to see the rest

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=ROM&PlayerID=89683

the_ouskull
3/23/2008, 12:12 PM
Whoever said Foust spend some time in jail was correct. He went back to Ohio and proceeded to get arrested for a B&E, I think.

Also, yes, Deangelo was probably Kelvin's "best" transfer, and his issue was an issue of grades. As for Larry Turner, he transferred because of his family, not because he hated Kelvin.

It's amazing how the players that thought that they could go somewhere else and dominate outside of Kelvin's system almost universally did not do so. Maybe UNC Charlotte is an easier school than OU. Deangelo? Your thoughts?

the_ouskull

bluedogok
3/23/2008, 05:27 PM
I don't even want to go into the three big ones that decommitted after Sampson bailed to Indiana. But if you count them as well there could be four or five former OU guys that are now about to play in the sweet 16 for teams other than the Sooners.
If Calvin would have stayed, and those players would have come to campus, I bet there would have been an NCAA probation ban on OU participating in the tournament in addition to more severe penalties. I believe that Calvin leaving and none of those players who committed under the actions of Calvin that got NCAA penalties lessened the penalties on OU than if he or they would have stayed.

Cam
3/23/2008, 05:39 PM
I seem to recall someone on here stating that if Kelvin was still here that Blake would've went elsewhere. No idea if that's true or not.