PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Capel!!!!! Jeff ****ing Capel, Mutha****as!!!!

Pages : [1] 2

PrideTrombone
4/10/2006, 11:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2404508
WHO THE **** IS THIS? JOE C JUST LAID A BIG FREAKING TURD ON THIS ONE.

Edit: Hmmm, I guess I was drunker than I thought last night. Still think I'll reserve my excitement until I see a few games under him first.

Jimminy Crimson
4/10/2006, 11:39 PM
That's a backwards K if I've ever seen one. :mad:

Stanley1
4/10/2006, 11:39 PM
You don't even know the guy, and you spew this crap?????

birddog
4/10/2006, 11:40 PM
i'm cool with that, to be honest.

Jimminy Crimson
4/10/2006, 11:44 PM

haha.

its more about me not liking joe c than anything to do with this guy. :D

birddog
4/10/2006, 11:44 PM
he's done a really nice job at VCU. i guarantee he will be a players coach and more than likely an excellent recruiter. i'm sure joe's done his homework and got really good feedback from people around the country.

william_brasky
4/10/2006, 11:46 PM
pretty good hire really.

talk about off the radar.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/10/2006, 11:46 PM
Jeff Capel to OU tonight.

John Calipari to NC State tomorrow.

That's a big bust for Oklahoma, I'll tell you that.

Jimminy Crimson
4/10/2006, 11:48 PM

I'll gladly switch with NC State! :)

Stanley1
4/10/2006, 11:49 PM
haha.

its more about me not liking joe c than anything to do with this guy. :D

I was talking more to PT than you. But you can bite it too. ;)

william_brasky
4/10/2006, 11:50 PM

Only time will tell. This is a long-term hire, not a quick fix.

KaiserSooner
4/10/2006, 11:51 PM
Bob Barry Jr, just broke into Conan O'Brien with news. I'm not sure if I'm happy or upset with this gem. I think the best response is: ???

Jimminy Crimson
4/10/2006, 11:52 PM
Only time will tell. This is a long-term hire, not a quick fix.

If he breaks our post season streak, I will poop on his face! :mad:

birddog
4/10/2006, 11:52 PM
http://vcurams.vcu.edu/mbb/capelcoach.htm

capel

william_brasky
4/10/2006, 11:53 PM
He's so freakin' young. I remember him playin' for Dook like it was a just a few years ago. Oh yeah, it was. Damn, where does time go?

AllAboutThe'O'
4/10/2006, 11:55 PM
Talk about a hire from out of left field.
Capel wasn't even in my top 30 list. Heck, I don't know if he was even a part of Berry Tramel's Joe C. Invitational in last week's DO.
Hopefully, he won't be the latest casualty of the curse of Coach K proteges who don't acheive quite the success they enjoyed while at Duke.
And the most famous thing Capel's ever done, coach or player, was hit that miracle half-court shot to force double overtime against UNC back in '95, when Duke had that awful team and Coach K had to miss the rest of the season on medical leave.

william_brasky
4/10/2006, 11:55 PM

that made me laugh.

Sooner Among The Pack
4/10/2006, 11:56 PM
Ok, you know what...

I remember watching that 1995 shot against UNC from half court live. Amazing.

Calipari is defintley closer to a quick fix than Capel. Good point Brasky.

Maybe I don't feel so bad now...

Jimminy Crimson
4/10/2006, 11:57 PM
I was talking more to PT than you. But you can bite it too. ;)

JEFF F'N CAPEL! ;)

http://vcurams.vcu.edu/mbb/0405action/capellarge2.jpg

JEFF CAPEL
Head Coach • Fourth Year

The Capel File
BORN:
February 12, 1975

HOMETOWN:
Fayetteville, N.C.
HIRED AT VCU:
March 5, 2002
EDUCATION:
Duke, B.A., 1997
COACHING EXPERIENCE:
2000-01 Old Dominion University, Assistant Coach
2001-02 VCU, Assistant Coach
2002-present VCU Head Coach

The name Jeff Capel will always be recognizable in college basketball. What’s less of a certainty is for which role NCAA fans will remember him.

A standout guard at Duke in the mid ‘90s, Capel danced in the spotlight as a floor leader for one of the most successful basketball programs in the country. As a Blue Devil, he was as passionate as they come, and a deadly sharp-shooter from beyond the three-point arc. Unforgettable is Capel’s 30-foot heave that touched off the glass to force double-overtime against rival North Carolina in 1995, a game that ranked No. 1 on the list of 25 Greatest Moments in ESPN Basketball History.

And then there’s Jeff Capel the college basketball coach. Dressed in a suit and tie, he paces feverishly back and forth across the bench, just as passionate as he was in his playing days. Capel traded the blue and white for the black and gold of Virginia Commonwealth University, and don’t look now, but he’s strategically placing Ram basketball on the NCAA map.

In his three years as head coach at VCU, Capel has guided the Rams to a 60-31 record, a Colonial Athletic Association Championship and two postseason appearances. During that span, VCU has recorded the most wins (60) and highest winning percentage (.659) of any Division I program in the state of Virginia. Following the 2003-04 season, Capel was named both the Richmond Times-Dispatch and VaSID state Coach of the Year after leading the Rams to their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1996.

Capel was named an assistant coach for the 2005 USA Men’s World University Games Team, joining Manhattan head coach Bobby Gonzalez in assisting Villanova head coach Jay Wright. The United State won the gold medal in Izmir, Turkey, in August.

“I’m flattered to even be considered for a tremendous honor like this,” said Capel. “It’s something that I take with great pride, representing our great country.”

Last season, VCU posted a 13-5 record in the CAA, 19-13 overall, and earned a first-round home game versus Davidson in the National Invitation Tournament, the first men’s postseason contest at the Alltel Pavilion at the Stuart C. Siegel Center in the building’s six-year history. Paced by first team All-CAA selection Nick George and second team All-CAA Michael Doles, the Rams narrowly missed a second consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance after falling in overtime to Old Dominion in the CAA Championship final.

The invitation to the NIT marked only the third time in school history, first since 1985, that VCU earned postseason appearances in consecutive seasons. The 2002-03 Rams earned an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament after capturing the CAA Championship in a thrilling 55-54 victory over George Mason. VCU boasted a CAA-best 14-4 conference record, 23-8 overall, and nearly pulled off an upset in the East Rutherford Regional against Wake Forest. The fourth-seeded Demon Deacons, heavily favored, inched by the Rams with a 79-78 victory in Raleigh, N.C.

That season, senior guard Domonic Jones was selected as CAA Player of the Year and honorable mention All-American, while senior center Troy Godwin was named second team All-CAA.

At 27 years old, Capel became the youngest head coach in Division I men’s college basketball after being promoted from assistant in 2002. After leading the Rams to a 12-6 CAA record and a No. 2 seed in the CAA Tournament, he was selected as the CoSIDA Coach of the Year for the State of Virginia. The team’s 18 wins tied Capel for the most victories by a first-year head coach in VCU history.

Prior to joining the VCU staff, Capel spent one year as an assistant at Old Dominion during the 2000-01 season. After graduating from Duke in 1997, he dabbled in professional basketball for three years, playing in France and the CBA.

At Duke, Capel was a four-year starter under legendary head coach Mike Krzyzewski. As a freshman, he earned honorable mention All-ACC freshman honors, helping the Blue Devils to the NCAA national championship game. Capel was named honorable mention All-ACC as a sophomore and senior and selected to the All-ACC third team as a junior in 1996. As a senior, he earned ACC All-Academic honors.

Capel finished his college career with 1,601 points, 433 assists and 220 three-point field goals, ranking in the school’s all-time Top 10 in minutes played, three-point field goal percentage, three-point field goals and assists.

As a point guard at South View High School in Fayetteville, North Carolina, Capel set school career records in points (2,066), rebounds (668) and assists (663). As a senior in 1993, he averaged 23.8 points, 5.1 rebounds and 7.7 assists per game, guiding South View to a 31-1 record and a state championship.

Capel garnered all-state honors as a sophomore, junior and senior at South View. After his senior season, he was chosen North Carolina and Gatorade State Player of the Year, earned All-America status and participated in the United States Olympic Festival.

Capel’s father, Jeff Capel Jr., currently serves as an assistant coach with the Charlotte Bobcats of the NBA. A former college coach, he spent eight years as head coach at Old Dominion. Capel’s brother, Jason, played basketball for North Carolina.

Capel and his wife, Kanika, reside in Richmond

Stanley1
4/11/2006, 12:00 AM
And his birthday is one day after mine.

<Mr. Burns> Exxcellllent!!!!! </Mr. Burns>

AllAboutThe'O'
4/11/2006, 12:00 AM
Think he'll get his dad or his brother to serve as an assistant?

william_brasky
4/11/2006, 12:01 AM
His new nickname is from hereafter: Jeff-Effin Capel.

silversooner22
4/11/2006, 12:02 AM
Based of what I have seen at VCU i'm sure he is a very Capel-ble coach.

Bwahahahaha

No, nevermind, that was ghey. Hopefully he does well and can take us to the next level.

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 12:02 AM
And his birthday is one day after mine.

<Mr. Burns> Exxcellllent!!!!! </Mr. Burns>

Joint birthday party, eh? :texan:

william_brasky
4/11/2006, 12:03 AM
Hey guys, think about this. We've got a coach with a Soul Patch. That rules!

GottaHavePride
4/11/2006, 12:06 AM
I like that his dad is a coach, his brother played basketball, he played in France and Canada, etc. It makes me think he might be used to seeing teams with good fundamentals and execution. Teams in Europe tend to play with more finesse than over here and (as has been happening in the olympics lately) they're kicking our asses with it. So maybe there's hope that we'll see a fluid, well-executed offense. ;)

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 12:07 AM
Hey guys, think about this. We've got a coach with a Soul Patch. That rules!

You mean flavor saver! :D

It's better than than a Rasheed patch, no? haha

Stanley1
4/11/2006, 12:08 AM
Joint birthday party, eh? :texan:

Complete with strippers. :D

Stanley1
4/11/2006, 12:08 AM
I like that his dad is a coach, his brother played basketball, he played in France and Canada, etc. It makes me think he might be used to seeing teams with good fundamentals and execution. Teams in Europe tend to play with more finesse than over here and (as has been happening in the olympics lately) they're kicking our asses with it. So maybe there's hope that we'll see a fluid, well-executed offense. ;)

I think his dad is actually a GM or something for the Bobcats. That can't hurt, throwing that out to NBA-ready recruits. Hey, come to OU, and my dad will draft you. ;)

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 12:10 AM
I think his dad is actually a GM or something for the Bobcats. That can't hurt, throwing that out to NBA-ready recruits. Hey, come to OU, and my dad will draft you. ;)

Charlotte should have some lottery picks for quite a while, especially with their 'homer' draft of last year. :twinkies:

william_brasky
4/11/2006, 12:11 AM
This is a really nice hire folks. The guys has the pedigree and has been groomed to be a big-time Bball coach.

Kids are gonna wanna be coached by Jeff. He's young, fiery (well he was as a player), and knows the game.

I'm very excited!

GottaHavePride
4/11/2006, 12:12 AM
Oh, and is it pronouced ca-PEL or CAP-el? I'm trying to figure out what the annoying idiots on the sports animal and their callers will call him.

Collier11
4/11/2006, 12:12 AM
So because he does not have a big time name he is a ****ty coach? You guys
amaze me, he has almost a 667. winning percentage, has taken va commonwealth to the tourney, played under coach k...come on now! He will get recruits and be popular, remember Stoops was little known when we hired him as a head coaching prospect.

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/11/2006, 12:13 AM
Not a bad hire, has potential to make us a solid program that wins 20 games a year ;)

Jimminy Crimson
Oh, and is it pronouced ca-PEL or CAP-el? I'm trying to figure out what the annoying idiots on the sports animal and their callers will call him.

ka-PEL would be my best guess

but i don't know nothin'

GottaHavePride
Not to bag on PT too much ;) but...

BOB STOOPS? BOB ****ING STOOPS??????

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 12:14 AM
played under coach k...

Um, I'm pretty sure that is considered a strike when it comes to coaching. ;)

william_brasky
4/11/2006, 12:16 AM
Um, I'm pretty sure that is considered a strike when it comes to coaching. ;)

One is bound to do some good JC. :twinkies:

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 12:18 AM
One is bound to do some good JC. :twinkies:

Well, I hope this will be the one, or else Joe C is going to have poo poo all over his face.

Stanley1
4/11/2006, 12:18 AM
but i don't know nothin'

Post of the night folks. :D

AllAboutThe'O'
4/11/2006, 12:19 AM
So because he does not have a big time name he is a ****ty coach? You guys
amaze me, he has almost a 667. winning percentage, has taken va commonwealth to the tourney, played under coach k...come on now! He will get recruits and be popular, remember Stoops was little known when we hired him as a head coaching prospect.
Regarding Bob Stoops, not necessarily. Stoops was a fairly well-known name even as an assistant, particulary after he went to Florida and in his first year helped lead the Gators to the national title. He was on several other schools' lists after that, but bided his time until the perfect situation came along.

birddog
4/11/2006, 12:19 AM
i think i'm just relieved it wasn't turgeon.

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 12:20 AM
Post of the night folks. :D

:eddie:

william_brasky
4/11/2006, 12:23 AM
Well, I hope this will be the one, or else Joe C is going to have poo poo all over his face.

You're really into pooping on people's faces JC. That's interesting. Never would've figured you to be into that sort of thing. To each his own. :twinkies:

GottaHavePride
4/11/2006, 12:27 AM
i think i'm just relieved it wasn't turgeon.

I actually thought Turgeon would have been a good hire.

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 12:27 AM
You're really into pooping on people's faces JC. That's interesting. Never would've figured you to be into that sort of thing. To each his own. :twinkies:

it sounds more graphic than 'egg'.

carry on :cool:

Collier11
4/11/2006, 12:28 AM
Just a little offensive rundown since most of us are hoping for something exciting His teams scored between 68-74 ppg over, shot 43-48% from the field, and 35-39% from three over his 4 years at vcu

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 12:29 AM

Wichitittay homer!

birddog
4/11/2006, 12:30 AM
i think it's funny how some people will say it's a bad hire before he even steps foot on campus. it must be all that vcu tape they've been watching. why would joe hire a guy if he didn't think he was a good coach? i'll reserve judgement til after i see the boys play next season.

Collier11
4/11/2006, 12:30 AM
ya but football assistants are alot better known than bball assistants, how many bball assistants do any of us really know compared to football? THis guy is really well respected among other coaches and if you remember when he played for DUKE, he was one of those point gaurds that didnt have a ton of talent but was a winner a.k.a quannas white

william_brasky
4/11/2006, 12:31 AM
interesting article from last summer

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8477414

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/11/2006, 12:32 AM
Well when you are a HUGE program like ours, you are going to attract the Phil Jackson's and Larry Brown's of the world. At one point OU had the most awesome coach in the history of earth in Billy Tubbs!!! Billy even played in a National Title game and never once coached in front of a non sellout!!!! Who wouldn't want to coach here with our long powerful history of success

birddog
4/11/2006, 12:32 AM
who knows? i just didn't like the idea too much. i'm sure there's lots of guys that could be considered good hires. i just happen to think capel is a good one too, even if it was completely unexpected.

soonersin07
4/11/2006, 12:33 AM
ok, so let me make sure i got this right? all i hear the last few days is how we're too good for a mvc coach who has improved his record all 5 years at wsu and took his team to the sweet 16 this year, but we're all cool with a 27 year old who went 19-13 in the caa this year and a quick exit from the nit. oh, but it must be a good hire cause his dad's an assistant in the nba and he played in canada and europe (never knew that even mattered). turgeon's had a couple of decent mentors too (larry brown and roy williams).

i'm not arguing that we should've gotten turgeon (it sounds like he turned joe c. down which isn't anyones fault in my opinion) or even that capel is a bad hire, but when we're having discussion back and forth trying to figure out how to pronounce his name (it's Cay-pul) and praising the hire at the same time...unless it's something close to krzyzewski there's something wrong. but everyone shouldn't act like this is such a great hire because they love joe c. or maybe more accurately, just relieved to not have to admit that they would like to have a coach from the missouri valley conference. i hope he does turn out to be a great coach, but for those who had lists consisting of guys like calipari, wright, and other coaches of that notoriety as possible candidates, you can't honestly say you're satisfied with this hire.

birddog
4/11/2006, 12:35 AM
he's actually 31.

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 12:37 AM
he's actually 31.

Age is just a number! :cool:

Collier11
4/11/2006, 12:37 AM
I say lets give the guy say...a frickin season or two to see what he does, he is losing three of OU's top players to graduation so Im sure if we roll out there with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores next year and go 20-10 or 18-12 some of you will be saying this guy is the worst coach in history, but weve got some good guys back and a great recruiting class coming in so why dont we give him a season or two, or..no, I cant say it in this crowd but for I will be shunned, but ive got to...three seasons(oh no)

NickZeppelin
4/11/2006, 12:38 AM
I think I can sum it up in 2 words

HOLY ****!

Collier11
4/11/2006, 12:39 AM
Nick, you can never sum up anything...EVER!

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 12:41 AM
I think I can sum it up in 2 words

HOLY ****!

Is that a "I just won the lottery" holy **** or a ":bsmf:" holy ****?

soonersin07
4/11/2006, 12:43 AM
i do agree with collier, he should be given a decent chance by the fans to prove himself. joe c. could turn out to be a genius with this hire, he hasn't disappointed in the past. but i think it's hard for people to honestly say at this point they are satisfied with the hire when all i heard about the past few days was how we were too good for some of the "up and comers". and the up and comers were guys like hobbs and turgeon, capel never even entered the conversation.

NickZeppelin
4/11/2006, 12:45 AM
Take your pick. I didn't even know this guy was coaching till just a few minutes ago. I remember him as a player but still he's only been coaching like 8 years or so probably. He was a Junior when he scored 16 a game in 96. So he has to be in his 8th year of coaching period. This is a head scratches. We'll see if it works out.

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 12:47 AM
Due to his massacre of atmosphere at all things OU related, Joe C can never and will never be referred to as a genius. :cool:

Collier11
4/11/2006, 12:48 AM
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2003/032003/03072003/902031

Article not long after he was hired at vcu

soonersin07
4/11/2006, 12:49 AM
haha, ok. fair enough.

GottaHavePride
4/11/2006, 12:49 AM
ok, so let me make sure i got this right? all i hear the last few days is how we're too good for a mvc coach who has improved his record all 5 years at wsu and took his team to the sweet 16 this year, but we're all cool with a 27 year old who went 19-13 in the caa this year and a quick exit from the nit. oh, but it must be a good hire cause his dad's an assistant in the nba and he played in canada and europe (never knew that even mattered). turgeon's had a couple of decent mentors too (larry brown and roy williams).

i'm not arguing that we should've gotten turgeon (it sounds like he turned joe c. down which isn't anyones fault in my opinion) or even that capel is a bad hire, but when we're having discussion back and forth trying to figure out how to pronounce his name (it's Cay-pul) and praising the hire at the same time...unless it's something close to krzyzewski there's something wrong. but everyone shouldn't act like this is such a great hire because they love joe c. or maybe more accurately, just relieved to not have to admit that they would like to have a coach from the missouri valley conference. i hope he does turn out to be a great coach, but for those who had lists consisting of guys like calipari, wright, and other coaches of that notoriety as possible candidates, you can't honestly say you're satisfied with this hire.

1. I never once said we were "too good" for an MVC coach.

2. I didn't say it "must be a good hire cause his dad's an assistant in the nba and he played in canada and europe". I said I liked those facts and it gave me some hope that this hire might turn out pretty well for us.

3. Asking how to pronounce his name is a legit question. There's nothing in his name that tells me long v. short a, emphasis on first or second syllable, and so on. Lord knows people in Oklahoma had enough problems pronouncing Calvin Simpson, I mean Kelvin Sampson, properly.

4. Lame.

5. You should pay more attention to who has been saying what in discussions before you lump everyone together.

6. I'll be nice and not add negative 30,000 points to your already very red spekmeter.

soonersin07
4/11/2006, 12:51 AM
i find it hard to believe that jeff capel has been the "primary target since Sampson left for Indiana last month." as espn.com has on their website. if so a new a.d. should be the primary target for this month.

Collier11
4/11/2006, 12:53 AM
I know some of you cant wait to get the morning paper, if this is so dont read this straight from Daily Oklahoman story about the hire...
Report: Capel to be named OU hoops coach

By George Schroeder and John Rohde
The Oklahoman

NORMAN - Oklahoma has apparently found a men's basketball coach
The Jeff Capel file

Coaching experience: Virginia Commonwealth head coach (four seasons; 79-41); VCU assistant (2001-02); Old Dominion assistant (2000-2001).

Born: Feb. 12, 1975 in Fayetteville, N.C.

College: Duke (1997)

Resume: At 27 years old, Capel became the youngest head coach in Division I men’s college basketball after being promoted from assistant in 2002. After leading the Rams to a 12-6 CAA record and a No. 2 seed in the CAA Tournament, he was selected as the CoSIDA Coach of the Year for the state of Virginia. The team’s 18 wins tied Capel for the most victories by a first-year head coach in VCU history.

Before joining the VCU staff, Capel spent one year as an assistant at Old Dominion during the 2000-01 season. After graduating from Duke in 1997, he played pro ball for three years, playing in France and the CBA.

At Duke, Capel was a four-year starter under legendary head coach Mike Krzyzewski. As a freshman, he earned honorable mention All-ACC freshman honors, helping the Blue Devils to the NCAA championship game. Capel was named honorable mention All-ACC as a sophomore and senior and selected to the All-ACC third team as a junior in 1996. As a senior, he earned ACC All-Academic honors.

Capel finished his college career with 1,601 points, 433 assists and 220 3-point field goals, ranking in the school’s all-time Top 10 in minutes played, 3-point field goal percentage, 3-point field goals and assists.

As a point guard at South View High School in Fayetteville, N.C., Capel set school career records in points (2,066), rebounds (668) and assists (663). As a senior in 1993, he averaged 23.8 points, 5.1 rebounds and 7.7 assists per game, guiding South View to a 31-1 record and a state championship.

Capel garnered all-state honors as a sophomore, junior and senior at South View. After his senior season, he was chosen North Carolina and Gatorade State Player of the Year, earned All-America status and participated in the United States Olympic Festival.

Capel’s father, Jeff Capel Jr., currently serves as an assistant coach with the Charlotte Bobcats of the NBA. A former college coach, he spent eight years as head coach at Old Dominion. Capel’s brother, Jason, played basketball for North Carolina.

By John Rohde

Virginia Commonwealth's Jeff Capel is expected to be named either today or tomorrow, ending a search that began March 28 when Kelvin Sampson left for Indiana. ESPN.com reported the hire late Monday night.

Capel, 31, has been the head coach at VCU for four years. His teams are 79-41, with one NCAA Tournament and one NIT appearance. Capel, who played at Duke in the mid-1990s, was an assistant at Old Dominion and VCU before taking over in 2002.

Capel's hiring would end a search that had swirled with speculation, but had not included his name. Big names such as Marquette's Tom Crean, Gonzaga's Mark Few and Memphis' John Calipari were mentioned as possibilities, and even Monday Wake Forest coach Skip Prosser and Miami's Frank Haith were believed to be the leading candidates.

Sources close to the search said OU athletic director Joe Castiglione had not interviewed any candidates in person before the weekend. But Castiglione and OU president David Boren flew Sunday to Atlanta aboard a private jet. They returned late Sunday night without a coach in tow, but sources suggested a resolution might be imminent.

Castiglione, who was in his office Monday, was not available for comment. He also spent three days on the road last week, meeting in Atlanta with representatives of the search firm Baker-Parker and Associates, Inc., which was contracted to perform background checks on candidates, as well as with agents representing coaches.

Sources also said Castiglione had preliminary conversations by telephone last week with candidates.

Wichita State's Mark Turgeon announced Monday he had agreed to a long-term contract extension. But even though there was speculation earlier, Turgeon was not the immediate focus of OU's search.

Calipari, another rumored candidate, had serious talks over the weekend with North Carolina State for its vacancy.

william_brasky
4/11/2006, 12:57 AM
It would be sweet if Capel could get the Arthur kid to come to Norman. It could happen.

Collier11
4/11/2006, 12:58 AM
Lebron has 4 years left I think??

soonersin07
4/11/2006, 01:00 AM
1. I never once said we were "too good" for an MVC coach.

2. I didn't say it "must be a good hire cause his dad's an assistant in the nba and he played in canada and europe". I said I liked those facts and it gave me some hope that this hire might turn out pretty well for us.

3. Asking how to pronounce his name is a legit question. There's nothing in his name that tells me long v. short a, emphasis on first or second syllable, and so on. Lord knows people in Oklahoma had enough problems pronouncing Calvin Simpson, I mean Kelvin Sampson, properly.

4. Lame.

5. You should pay more attention to who has been saying what in discussions before you lump everyone together.

6. I'll be nice and not add negative 30,000 points to your already very red spekmeter.

1. i'm not accusing you of saying alot of what i addressed and didn't point it as an attack on you, but everyday leading up to this hire i've heard how we are too good for an mvc coach. 3. and i'll agree there are some hidden gems out there that maybe people wouldn't know well enough to know how to pronounce those names, but they shouldn't be getting a big 12 job at school picked preseason #1 in some polls (no matter how disappointing their season was) with a top 5 recruiting class coming in. 6. oh and the reason my "popularity" isn't good is cause i called someone else out (showman where are you?) when he said our top 4 targets should be wright, calipari, few, and skinner and we should avoid unproven guys like hobbs and turgeon. and as i predicted, there's no way we were gonna get someone of those 4's caliber. i'd be really interested to hear his opinion of this hire.

NickZeppelin
4/11/2006, 01:03 AM
It sounds like we will be playing a slower style of ball then we have been playing. But that could only be because he's been at smaller schools so he's been forced to slow it down more.

Collier11
4/11/2006, 01:09 AM
He is a pressure D kinda guy, so if we can get steals we could get alot of easy baskets

Gandalf_The_Grey
4/11/2006, 01:12 AM
http://x10.putfile.com/4/10001103860.jpg

"Jeff Capel......are we honestly talking about Capel!!"

Collier11
4/11/2006, 01:13 AM
I think you just mis-quoted AI, better watch out for a law suit in the near future cus im gonna tell him ;)

OKC-SLC
4/11/2006, 01:18 AM
I like the hire. I think this will bring some energy in; it's certainly intriguing. And I'll echo what GHP said earlier in the thread--

Bob Stoops??? Bob ****ing Stoops!!111!!!!11ONE!!

OKC-SLC
4/11/2006, 01:20 AM
This hire in no way gives me the feeling that I would have had (of staleness) if we had hired Calipari or Turgeon or some other 'name' person.

And I agree with whoever said it earlier--it seems like he was just playing the other day. Hopefully that translates into some kids being excited about having him here.

NickZeppelin
4/11/2006, 01:22 AM
He was a coach at Virginia Commenwelth for the past couple years.

Our star recruit(well outside of James) was from Hearndon Virginia. I don't think this is a coinkidink.

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 01:24 AM
He was a coach at Virginia Commenwelth for the past couple years.

Our star recruit(well outside of James) was from Hearndon Virginia. I don't think this is a coinkidink.

B/c dudes dig the virginia...wait...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/11/2006, 01:37 AM
some interesting things...

.81 at home, .500 on the road - most seasons they spent 1/2 of their games on the road. not going to happen here...

shoots more 3s than his opponents

overall less FTs than his opponents (not good)

has never had a player avg more than 7 rebounds a game (weird)

assist/TO ratio of 1:1. really ratched up their opponents TOs this year (they had 100 more TOs)

tends to score a lot more points in the second half than the first

Jimminy Crimson
4/11/2006, 02:05 AM
has never had a player avg more than 7 rebounds a game (weird)

They obviously must not do the 'bubble drill'. ;)

Do you know anything about scoring droughts?

picasso
4/11/2006, 02:08 AM
also says he's not Lumbee.

strange.

SOONER44EVER
4/11/2006, 02:51 AM
What happened to "home run" hire? I think Joe C. is trying to save $ or something. I'm so confused.

ouflak
4/11/2006, 04:33 AM
I will suggest, ever so slightly, that perhaps, just perhaps, a few people here overestimated OU's ability to attract some of the well-known names thrown around on this board and other boards. But its only a suggestion. As a labeled sunshine pumper, I've just got to be optimistic that we will do well and try see the light halo around all that happens in the coming seasons.

Sooner in Tampa
4/11/2006, 05:09 AM
Damn people...you all need to just relax. This coach COULD be a great hire...at 31 he has the potential to be at OU for a long time. I have mixed emotions about the hire, but I am damn sure going to wait and see how OUr players react to him and what sort of team he puts on the court.

OH...and if Nick doesn't like the hire...then it must be a good thing.

NickZeppelin
4/11/2006, 06:24 AM
When did I say I didn't like the hire? I just don't know if he's a good coach or a bad coach.

sooner518
4/11/2006, 06:54 AM
no idea how good he'll be, but I think its kind of cool they got someone completely off the radar. Im excited for someone really young to be in there.

Newbomb Turk
4/11/2006, 06:56 AM
I think it's kind of funny. All the big names that were flying around here the last few weeks, and Joe hires Jeff Capel.

I'm not bashing Capel though - we needs to give the guy a chance.

MikeInNorman
4/11/2006, 07:51 AM
How can you not love this hire????

What with how well young coaching acolytes of Coach K have done to date.

GDC
4/11/2006, 08:03 AM
Of course we'll lose him to Duke as soon as Coach K retires.

Desert Sapper
4/11/2006, 08:03 AM
I'm going to echo all the people that mentioned Bob Stoops on here when I say:

-He was never a head coach before he came here.
-He is too young
-He certainly must know nothing about offense, and therefore we will be a team with good D and no O
-Blake sucked, but we'll only get worse from here with this hire
-This new AD is a total idiot and needs to be fired. How could he hire a guy with no head coaching experience to replace a guy who had no head coaching experience? He must be a moron.
-Has anybody ever even heard of this guy Stoops? His name rhymes with Poops, for crying out loud.

Everybody needs to calm down and see what happens. Might just be Joe found a diamond in the rough. Might be he didn't. Time will tell.

GDC
4/11/2006, 08:10 AM
Do his teams get up and down the floor?

SeattleOUstudent
4/11/2006, 08:13 AM
save this thread...it will be funny if he is the next Bob Stoops.

SOONER44EVER
4/11/2006, 08:14 AM
Do his teams get up and down the floor?
The averaged 67 ppg last year.............1 point less than Kelvin's Sooner team.

OklahomaTuba
I can't believe we couldn't land someone more known than this guy.

OUstud
OK, so what happened to 7-10 days? What was that all about? Was this some sort of mask on hiring this relative unknown? Anyway...

...I'm happy he's here. It might take him a couple of years, but maybe his enthusiasm can help attract big crowds, and maybe coaching at a big school will allow him to open up his offense. I just have a feeling that we missed a big mistake by not hiring Sturgeon and that we have hired basketball's Stoops. That means in 2007-2008, he better damn well win a title. ;)

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 08:15 AM
save this thread...it will be funny if he is the next Bob Stoops.

At least BS was known, and was a "hot commodity".

This guy? Not so much.

I hope he is though.

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 08:16 AM
The averaged 67 ppg last year.............1 point less than Kelvin's Sooner team.
That should fill LNC.

Partial Qualifier
4/11/2006, 08:35 AM
A relatively obscure Billy Donovan went from a small school at the age of 31 to coach Florida, that turned out okay.

I like this hire. My very first reaction was "WTF!?11!?" but changed my mind after thinking about it for a few minutes. I'm excited!

Desert Sapper
4/11/2006, 08:36 AM
That means in 2007-2008, he better damn well win a title. ;)

Agreed. Since we had never won a title in Football before Stoops got here, either. :D

I said it once before, and I'll probably get the same response for saying it now, we are a FOOTBALL school. No way we would ever get a big name to coach basketball here. At least, not until we win a title and increase OUr profile as a basketball program.

SoonerShark
4/11/2006, 08:38 AM

It would probably have been broken next year if Coach K had been hired and brought in his recruiting class.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 08:41 AM
I need some addresses so that I can personally go crap on the lawn of people who are already whining before he's cashed his first paycheck.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/11/2006, 08:42 AM
What happened to "home run" hire? I think Joe C. is trying to save $ or something. I'm so confused.

The fact is that the job at this point is not attractive enough to get a Calipari, Wright, Few,etc. I certainly don't think this can be called a home run hire at least at this point, though in fairness Bob Stoops wasn't a home run the day he was hired too. I actually wanted Coach Fran myself :eek:

I think those that thought when Sampson left that it would be simple to find a coach as successful might finally realize it isn't so easy.

That said, I remember Dukie V going on about what a great young coach Capel was a couple years ago. I would have been OK with Turgeon but I can't say I would have been excited with him. Turgeon is more proven but I think Capel could be a better recruiter. I don't see it as the same as Quin Snyder who went straight from being a Duke assistant to being head coach at MU. Capel proved he could win as a head coach.

At this point I would say I'm not thrilled with the hire but I would say I'm satisfied and I'm ready to look forward to action on the court. (That is after we win NC #8 on the gridiron).

SoonerShark
4/11/2006, 08:44 AM
And except for 2 seasons out of 12, Capel and my cat have done almost as well in the NCAAs as Kelvin. Capel has not had the backing or the budget he will have here. Hopefully, he will do well here and the players recruited for this years class will want to stay for more than two years.

GottaHavePride
4/11/2006, 09:02 AM
Ooooh, so he averaged one point per game less than Kelvin's team this past year. He did it with the talent he had at Virginia Freaking Commonwealth. Let's see what he can do with the players here, hmmmm?

And all the names being tossed around and the "home run hire" nonsense was just crap being spewed forth by the media. Joe C. never came out with a list of likely candidates - everyone just assumed he'd be thinking the same names we were.

OklahomaTuba
4/11/2006, 09:10 AM
Yes, everyone assumed that OU could land a big name coach.

ouflak
4/11/2006, 09:15 AM
And all the names being tossed around and the "home run hire" nonsense was just crap being spewed forth by the media.

By the media? Or by posters on message boards across the internet? I read articles where I could find them (there wasn't much nationally) and saw little printed that resembled the near delusional stuff I've seen posted on message boards about OU's basketball program and its ability to attract big names. Heck this program has had trouble attracting its own fans. I won't argue that some of the homer media certainly got carried away at times as well, but outside of that 'elite' group, I think the general sports media cared alot more about Sampson's potential at Indiana than they would ever care about who would be coaching at OU.

Harry Beanbag
4/11/2006, 09:19 AM
A relatively obscure Billy Donovan went from a small school at the age of 31 to coach Florida, that turned out okay.

I like this hire. My very first reaction was "WTF!?11!?" but changed my mind after thinking about it for a few minutes. I'm excited!

I think I'm walking the same path as you on this one.

GottaHavePride
4/11/2006, 09:24 AM
By the media? Or by posters on message boards across the internet? I read articles where I could find them (there wasn't much nationally) and saw little printed that resembled the near delusional stuff I've seen posted on message boards about OU's basketball program and its ability to attract big names. Heck this program has had trouble attracting its own fans. I won't argue that some of the homer media certainly got carried away at times as well, but outside of that 'elite' group, I think the general sports media cared alot more about Sampson's potential at Indiana than they would ever care about who would be coaching at OU.
Yeah, local media. The "home run hire" business was all you heard on the Sports Animal for a week.

NickZeppelin
4/11/2006, 09:24 AM
Billy Donovan had a name as an assistant at Providence though. And he was a player on a Final 4 team. This guy has been coaching about 7 or 8 years if that and he's not been at a major school as an assistant or as a head coach.

This could end up as a great hire. But I think it has as much chance of being a bad hire to. He may be in over his head.

FaninAma
4/11/2006, 09:26 AM
At first I thought JC had hired Dave Capel and was thinking the press conferences and coach's show would be a hoot. :D

I like the hire but only time will tell. I'm not a big fan of hiring retreads like Calipari...those type hires usually pay off short term dividends but suck in the long term for the hiring school.

My only concern is if the new coach does well will he bolt for Duke or the ACC when the first opportunity arises.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 09:28 AM
He may be in over his head.
dude.......you're in over your head but you keep posting.

Grimey
4/11/2006, 09:29 AM
I need some addresses so that I can personally go crap on the lawn of people who are already whining before he's cashed his first paycheck.

I'm sure tht the moron that started this thread is already reserving FireJeffCapel.com

TheHumanAlphabet
4/11/2006, 09:31 AM
Fire Josh Chappeau!

Harry Beanbag
4/11/2006, 09:31 AM
Billy Donovan had a name as an assistant at Providence though. And he was a player on a Final 4 team. This guy has been coaching about 7 or 8 years if that and he's not been at a major school as an assistant or as a head coach.

Capel was a player on a Final 4 team.

Stanley1
4/11/2006, 09:33 AM
Don't listen to Nick, he knows nothing.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/11/2006, 09:37 AM
All kidding aside...

It is not Joe C.'s way of hiring "the name". He gets young eager people who are ready for prime time...Stoops, "Hawt", the gymanstics coach, etc. I think his hires have been spot on.

Many people wanted a "name", well, sorry to say OU is not a "name" program and besides, we are probably not going to pay "name" salary here with the exception of Football. Win a couple of Bball NCs then we are probably a "name" program, but until then, we are a very good program that is a perrennial top 40 program goingto the NCAAs.

From what I have read of Capel, he sounds like a good motivator, Come on VCU? where the hell is that? and he took them to the NCAAs and the NIT. I wonder what his playing style is like...

Oh and FIRE JOSH CHAPPEAU!!! ;)

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 09:37 AM
Don't listen to Nick, he knows nothing.
Please be more creative when slighting Nick in the future.

NickZeppelin
4/11/2006, 09:42 AM
Capel was a player on a Final 4 team.

Okay has he coached on a Final 4 team?

He has only been a coach since 2000 and has only been at ODU and VCU. Maybe he ends up being the greatest coach ever but right now he could be a guy that ends up being in over his head.

I know that you guys that want to say he's a great hire bring up well Bob Stoops was never a head coach. But he was at a major program. Or you bring up Donovan he was at major programs before going to Florida. This is a big risk as I see it right now. And as I see it right now I'm not gonna say this is a great hire. Just because Joe C hires a guy doesn't make him great.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/11/2006, 09:43 AM
Nick, what about hawt? She was at Norman H.S.?

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 09:44 AM
Nick.......nobody WANTS you to say it's a great hire.

That would jinx it.

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/11/2006, 09:48 AM
I'm going to echo all the people that mentioned Bob Stoops on here when I say:

-He was never a head coach before he came here.
-He is too young
-He certainly must know nothing about offense, and therefore we will be a team with good D and no O
-Blake sucked, but we'll only get worse from here with this hire
-This new AD is a total idiot and needs to be fired. How could he hire a guy with no head coaching experience to replace a guy who had no head coaching experience? He must be a moron.
-Has anybody ever even heard of this guy Stoops? His name rhymes with Poops, for crying out loud.

Everybody needs to calm down and see what happens. Might just be Joe found a diamond in the rough. Might be he didn't. Time will tell.

in my opinion, this post pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/11/2006, 09:49 AM
Nick.......nobody WANTS you to say it's a great hire.

That would jinx it.

Nobody wants Nick to say anything.

Nick was pushing for the guys in my avatar to coach.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 09:50 AM
Nobody wants Nick to say anything.

Nick was pushing for the guys in my avatar to coach.
Dude.........there is something inherently wrong in having that avatar and a name with "rock hard" in it.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/11/2006, 09:55 AM
Dude.........there is something inherently wrong in having that avatar and a name with "rock hard" in it.

You are probably right :D I try not to look at it myself.

Harry Beanbag
4/11/2006, 10:01 AM

He has only been a coach since 2000 and has only been at ODU and VCU. Maybe he ends up being the greatest coach ever but right now he could be a guy that ends up being in over his head.

I know that you guys that want to say he's a great hire bring up well Bob Stoops was never a head coach. But he was at a major program. Or you bring up Donovan he was at major programs before going to Florida. This is a big risk as I see it right now. And as I see it right now I'm not gonna say this is a great hire. Just because Joe C hires a guy doesn't make him great.

I was just correcting your errors, don't read so much into it.

Taxman71
4/11/2006, 10:06 AM
I like the hire because:

1. He's young and fiery(sp?) and will bring much-needed energy to the program. I did not want some big name to come in here and relax with a fat paycheck (smellyburger anyone?).
2. He's the son of a good coach (and not just a high school coach), so his "coach age" is far beyond his actual age.
3. He's a former point guard. We have desperately needed a PG tutor and he should demand excellence at that position.
4. His NC/East coast background should help recruiting those bball rich areas on a regular basis.
5. He should be a long-term Sooner if successful unlike the other "big names" (ie-Calipari) who like to move frequently.
6. Given his success with the minimal facilities at VCU, he should flourish at OU.

Basically, this hire looks like Joe C. is ahead of the coaching curve rather than hiring someone that others think is a good fit. I am glad he is willing to risk his rep to get the best hire rather than fork over $2mil a year to some "safe" bet.

PrideTrombone
4/11/2006, 10:06 AM
All I'm saying is that all we kept hearing was that Joe C wanted to hit a home run with this hire. Right now we're hoping for an infield single. I hope I'm wrong, and I'll give Capel a chance, but its a hire that's definitely coming out of left field.

CobraKai
4/11/2006, 10:08 AM

This could end up as a great hire. But I think it has as much chance of being a bad hire to. He may be in over his head.

But which garners more credibility? Being an assistant at a good school or being a head coach. I'm not sure being an assistant coach at Providence > being head coach at a small D1 school.

TopDawg
4/11/2006, 10:10 AM
All I'm saying is that all we kept hearing was that Joe C wanted to hit a home run with this hire. Right now we're hoping for an infield single.

That's not all I heard. In fact, more than 1 week ago Andy Katz reported that Joe C was NOT looking to hire one of the big name coaches.

I think you need to check your sources. ;)

sanantoniosooner
All I'm saying is that all we kept hearing was that Joe C wanted to hit a home run with this hire. Right now we're hoping for an infield single. I hope I'm wrong, and I'll give Capel a chance, but its a hire that's definitely coming out of left field.
Is the term "homerun" based on performance on the job or name recognition?

He could be a homerun. I guess well see if Joe does his job or farts around on SF.com all day.

Harry Beanbag
Actually, Donovan made his name as an assistant at Kentucky, not Providence.

Everyone should just ignore anything that comes out of Nick's keyboard.

Taxman71
4/11/2006, 10:11 AM

I think a home run will be determined on the next few years, not by the name of the new coach. Does anyone think Texas Tech hit a homerun by hiring Knight? In name, yes. In success, not so much.

NickZeppelin
4/11/2006, 10:11 AM
Donovan was also a coach at a small D1 school. But he was an assistant under a great coach in Rick Patino. Capel was an assistant under some coach named Jeff Capel II

soonersin07
4/11/2006, 10:12 AM

couldn't agree with you more.

Harry Beanbag
4/11/2006, 10:12 AM
Donovan was also a coach at a small D1 school. But he was an assistant under a great coach in Rick Patino. Capel was an assistant under some coach named Jeff Capel II

And?

Keep trying and maybe with a little more research you'll halfway know what you're talking about.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 10:15 AM
I hate you.

Not like sour gums, or bad chinese food.

More like getting a boil lanced or seeing Pam Anderson downsize her chest.

PrideTrombone
4/11/2006, 10:16 AM
Is the term "homerun" based on performance on the job or name recognition?

He could be a homerun. I guess well see if Joe does his job or farts around on SF.com all day.

Usually name recognition comes WITH performance on the job, unless you're Quin Snyder. :) Can you honestly say that you thought a week ago "Hey, they ought to look at Jeff Capel from VCU?" Doubt it.

I think with the ambivalence of the OU basketball fans as a whole, name recognition would've been important to maybe get some more people excited about the program and in the seats at the LNC.

Now, if this Capel guy can win, and put up some style points doing it, then the fans will show, but it's going to be a process rather than an immediate attention-getter (which would've been the case with some of the bigger names). Dude's gonna have a rough year next year without much of an inside presence anyway, so it'll take us a couple years to really see if he can develop his players.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 10:20 AM
How many 'big names' choose to play second bananna?

Getting a young coach that is up to the challenge is more realistic than getting a guy that has climbed to the peak of the mountain taking a back seat to Bob.

PrideTrombone
4/11/2006, 10:24 AM
How many 'big names' choose to play second bananna?

Getting a young coach that is up to the challenge is more realistic than getting a guy that has climbed to the peak of the mountain taking a back seat to Bob.

Well, obviously we weren't gonna get a Tubby Smith or even Calipari, but Capel is WAY under the radar. I wouldn't even know that there WAS a Virginia Commonwealth if I hadn't gone there in 2000 with the Women's Basketball Band. I guess I'm just saying I don't see how this is any different than Turgeon, Hobbs, etc., except there's even less name recognition and less of a resume to go off of, and about the same chances that the guy ends up being awesome or crappy.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 10:32 AM
I guess being a spurs fan has given me a different perspective.

Thet find ALL KINDS of talent under the radar by simply looking hard and not letting ESPN do their job for them.

PrideTrombone
4/11/2006, 10:35 AM
I guess being a spurs fan has given me a different perspective.

The find ALL KINDS of talent under the radar by simply looking hard and not letting ESPN do their job for them.

Damn French point guards. :) Tim Duncan was a pretty big name coming out of Wake Forest though.

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 10:37 AM
Damn French point guards. :) Tim Duncan was a pretty big name coming out of Wake Forest though.
Ginobili, Devon Brown and some others got very little notice before producing well for the Spurs. And Parker of course.

PrideTrombone
4/11/2006, 10:40 AM
Ginobili, Devon Brown and some others got very little notice before producing well for the Spurs. And Parker of course.

Ginobli, that was the other one I couldn't think of. Anyway, GHP had a good point on another thread. I'm much more interested in the season next year than I would've been in Kelvin stayed, because at least I have no freaking clue what to expect. I'm not as excited as I would've been if we'd gotten a more proven coach, but we'll see how it goes. I hope I'm wrong and someone dredges up this thread in 3 years after we make a deep tourney run. :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/11/2006, 10:45 AM
Well, obviously we weren't gonna get a Tubby Smith or even Calipari, but Capel is WAY under the radar. I wouldn't even know that there WAS a Virginia Commonwealth if I hadn't gone there in 2000 with the Women's Basketball Band. I guess I'm just saying I don't see how this is any different than Turgeon, Hobbs, etc., except there's even less name recognition and less of a resume to go off of, and about the same chances that the guy ends up being awesome or crappy.

The only difference is if you believe what is being reported (and based on the facts I've seen I do) is that Joe C chose Capel. As AD he isn't really constrained but who posters on soonerfans think should be the coach or by who Blevins, Tramel, or any on a large number of other media types think SHOULD be the candidates. We can all disagree on who would be the best hire (Calipari would have been my #1) but I think we generally must agree that Joe C knows more about the facts and was in a better position to make a choice than we were.

We will probably know next year if it is one of the worst hires ever or one of the best ever but since the overwhelming odds are that it is somewhere in between we probably won't know for 2-3 years. If we win 24 games next year I won't be ready to give him a lifetime contract and if we only win 17 games I won't be ready to fire him.

Pro-Kelvin, anti-Calvin, Up-tempo, half-court, sunshine pumper, Doom & gloomer, those not into autoerotic asphixiation,Nick Zepp...we all have our new coach. He's 0-0. He's NCAA scandal free. He didn't play Lacrosse at Dook, OKC area strip clubs are safe. In theory we should all be behind him at this point.

Jeopardude
4/11/2006, 10:49 AM
also says he's not Lumbee.

strange.

Favorite one-liner of the day.

soonerlaw
4/11/2006, 10:56 AM
Has anyone from Duke ever been really successful after leaving Durham? Snyder, Amaker, J. Williams, Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Cherokee Parks, Grant Hill... Oh well, Capel looks like a very enthusiast and goal oriented coach and I will look forward to watching him bring some fire to the Big-12

picasso
4/11/2006, 11:12 AM
Has anyone from Duke ever been really successful after leaving Durham? Snyder, Amaker, J. Williams, Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Cherokee Parks, Grant Hill... Oh well, Capel looks like a very enthusiast and goal oriented coach and I will look forward to watching him bring some fire to the Big-12
you joke right?

Nick and auto mechanic ashplaxination has me cracking up big time.

sooner518
4/11/2006, 11:20 AM
Why were people so hot after Mark Turgeon? Up until this year, I had never even heard of the guy or Whicita St as a basketball school. One sweet sixteen run and suddenly hes some hot commodity?

I like the idea of a really young coach coming in and giving some excitement to the program. With the players we've got coming in next year, I think we will have an exciting team. At least give the guy a chance. Let's be honest, most coaching hires are a crapshoot anyways.

If he does well for a couple of years, we're going to lose him to a bigger name school unless we can really shell out the money, and even then, it won't be guaranteed that he'll stay if a big name program comes calling. that's my biggest concern with the hire.

NickZeppelin
4/11/2006, 11:22 AM
Why were people so hot after Mark Turgeon? Up until this year, I had never even heard of the guy or Whicita St as a basketball school. One sweet sixteen run and suddenly hes some hot commodity?

Right now I would rather have Hoffman then Turgeon or Capel.

picasso
4/11/2006, 11:25 AM

I like the idea of a really young coach coming in and giving some excitement to the program. With the players we've got coming in next year, I think we will have an exciting team. At least give the guy a chance. Let's be honest, most coaching hires are a crapshoot anyways.

If he does well for a couple of years, we're going to lose him to a bigger name school unless we can really shell out the money, and even then, it won't be guaranteed that he'll stay if a big name program comes calling. that's my biggest concern with the hire.
wichita state used to have a solid program back in the Mizzou Valley days. Turdgeon played sparingly at KU and was a KU assistant when we got raped against them in the '88 finals.

Capel comes from good stock. you can't deny that.
plus, imagine the connections he has up that way. interesting indeed.

and that's without choking myself or my mechanic.

sooner518
4/11/2006, 11:32 AM
wichita state used to have a solid program back in the Mizzou Valley days. Turdgeon played sparingly at KU and was a KU assistant when we got raped against them in the '88 finals.

My point was that, if Wichita St. had lost in the first round of the tourney this year, I don't think everyone would have wanted him so badly. It's the mentality of "what have you done for me lately?" where the last year counts more than what else the guy has done in his entire career. It's short-sighted and I have to believe that Joe C. has better sense than to just take that into consideration.

I'm not saying Turgeon would have been a bad hire, but I don't think he's that much better than Capel. For some reason, (maybe its my love of Duke talking here), this Capel hire excites me more than almost any other name than I've heard out there. It's the unknown, but it's some fresh blood with a good pedigree (for lack of a better term). The sky is not falling. We'll be fine.

ouflak
4/11/2006, 11:33 AM
it won't be guaranteed that he'll stay if a big name program comes calling. that's my biggest concern with the hire.

This would be our concern with any coach we hire that has success. The only way that would change is to have basketball somehow attain the status of football at OU, or even surpass it. I don't think that's going to happen.

One good thing we can and have done is offer money for success. If he does turn out great at OU, some basketball oriented school is going to have to shell out some serious money to match what we can offer. That should be some consolation for this inherent instability.

boomersooner82
4/11/2006, 12:35 PM
Ah, more viewing the basketball board than the football board. I love you already Jerry Chapel.

soonersin07
4/11/2006, 12:48 PM

I'm not gonna deny the fact that WSU's run to the Sweet 16 did make Turgeon's stock rise, but he would've been considered even had they gotten knocked out in the first round. It helped his name on a national level, but Joe C. wouldn't have had to do much research to find out he's done a great job with or without the Sweet 16.

-WSU sold out every home game but 2 (early in the non-conference season) and those were within 500 of a sellout, granted their arena only holds 10,500 but they were getting nowhere near that the few years prior to him coming. and from what i've heard from relative, the town is going nuts. said to have been almost 3000 people waiting at the wichita airport upon their arrival after their 2nd round win over Tennessee- we could use some excitement like that brought to our program.
-He took this year's team, a team that was expect to be rebuilding after losing 3 4-year starters (picked 5th preseason in the MVC), and continued his 5-year trend of increasing his win total every year (did the same at Jacksonville St his first head coaching job).
-He's from the area and was a successfully player which isn't everything but never hurts.
-Much like Capel, comes from a great coaching pedigree, which does help.

mOUse
4/11/2006, 01:13 PM
I'm not gonna deny the fact that WSU's run to the Sweet 16 did make Turgeon's stock rise, but he would've been considered even had they gotten knocked out in the first round. It helped his name on a national level, but Joe C. wouldn't have had to do much research to find out he's done a great job with or without the Sweet 16.

-WSU sold out every home game but 2 (early in the non-conference season) and those were within 500 of a sellout, granted their arena only holds 10,500 but they were getting nowhere near that the few years prior to him coming. and from what i've heard from relative, the town is going nuts. said to have been almost 3000 people waiting at the wichita airport upon their arrival after their 2nd round win over Tennessee- we could use some excitement like that brought to our program.
-He took this year's team, a team that was expect to be rebuilding after losing 3 4-year starters (picked 5th preseason in the MVC), and continued his 5-year trend of increasing his win total every year (did the same at Jacksonville St his first head coaching job).
-He's from the area and was a successfully player which isn't everything but never hurts.
-Much like Capel, comes from a great coaching pedigree, which does help.

Agreed! Sellouts AND great performance speaks volumes.
I sure hope that we can get both, but it makes me nervous that two other programs have had much more success than VCU in the last couple of years in the colonial conference, as opposed to VCU passing them up! I don't know if he is the recruiter we need either! Im wondering if the two trips to the Tourney in '03 and '04 were more a byproduct of the previous coach. I don't know, don't know much aboutVCU's history. And the fact that we haven't heard much about them makes me dissapointed that we are even pursuing this guy.
I know I'm not going to jump right out of my seat and board a plane the first chance just to see this coach, like I would a Calapari, Turgeon or some other big name. But I suppose I can still stay positive.:confused: I was really hoping for a more historical coach, either with history or developing history. This guy seems to be a middle of the road type hire. It will be interesting to observe.

Boomer Sooner!

Scott D
4/11/2006, 01:42 PM
interesting perspective when you ignore all of the sniping over the fact that it wasn't Calipari that was hired (wouldn't want him to be honest, too much baggage). Capel appears to coach an up-tempo style, that relies heavily on guard play and not so much on post play. And most importantly, since it seems to be the complete bane of 'Kelvinball', he makes the RIGHT adjustments at halftime and his team plays a lot better in the second half.

Now you just need to add a few top notch players to that picture. Not to mention, he's still young enough that some of the kids we'll be trying to recruit will know what kind of player he was, and it may help us 'steal' more kids from the 'Tobacco Road' area.

okienole3
4/11/2006, 01:51 PM
Right now I would rather have Hoffman then Turgeon or Capel.

Please stop posting.

By the way, what kind of point were you trying to make with the VA (that's Virginia) connection between Capel and Reynolds? You think Reynolds talked Joe C. into this? If so, then you are dumber than I thought (which is hard to believe). You do realize that Richmond and Herndon are 2 hours apart. Your "theory" would have made much more sense if we had gotten Hobbs who is right in Reynold's back yard.

NickZeppelin
4/11/2006, 02:30 PM
Reynolds did play AAU ball really close to Richmond though.

okienole3
4/11/2006, 02:50 PM
Reynolds did play AAU ball really close to Richmond though.

And your point is.....?

StoopTroup
4/11/2006, 02:50 PM
Trust in Joe.

This is going to be a really good thing IMO.

I like hungry Coaches.

Beef
4/11/2006, 02:53 PM
Trust in Joe.

This is going to be a really good thing IMO.

I like hungry Coaches.
So you wanted us to hire Majerus? Or lure Mangino back to coach basketball?

Stanley1
4/11/2006, 03:02 PM
So you wanted us to hire Majerus? Or lure Mangino back to coach basketball?

<sigh>

Beef
4/11/2006, 03:03 PM
<sigh>
<shakes head>

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 03:04 PM
<rolls eyes>

royalfan5
4/11/2006, 03:06 PM
One quick point I would like to make as an opposing school fan. A lot of you have talked about Capel being under the radar. However, you guys haven't had a lot of real speculation about a replacement headcoach for awhile until now. As a Nebraska fan, we start talking about replacements every year after Creighton waxes us, unforunately Pederson won't make a change. Jeff Capel's name has been bandied about in Nebraska circles the last couple of years, and I would love to have him in Lincoln. I wouldn't say he was under the radar as much as y'all had your radar off.

william_brasky
4/11/2006, 03:09 PM
you used the word "radar" 3 times. that might be a record. :twinkies:

sanantoniosooner
4/11/2006, 03:13 PM
http://www.bestcareanywhere.net/img/radar2.jpg

mdklatt
4/11/2006, 03:17 PM
he's done a really nice job at VCU.

Visible Changes University? :confused:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
4/11/2006, 03:18 PM
<rolls eyes>

<scratches nutz, pounds chest>

StoopTroup
4/11/2006, 03:23 PM
Coach Jeff Capable!

Mercury
4/12/2006, 12:48 PM
As most of you know Capel is a good guy, well we thought he was down here in Richmond.Never was really able to recruit us a solid big man that wasnt a project. But his system and game plans are both solid. We lost out on a good coach, but we are happy about the fact that we get a home and home with you guys.

Total_Ignorance_Hour
4/12/2006, 01:07 PM
One quick point I would like to make as an opposing school fan. A lot of you have talked about Capel being under the radar. However, you guys haven't had a lot of real speculation about a replacement headcoach for awhile until now. As a Nebraska fan, we start talking about replacements every year after Creighton waxes us, unforunately Pederson won't make a change. Jeff Capel's name has been bandied about in Nebraska circles the last couple of years, and I would love to have him in Lincoln. I wouldn't say he was under the radar as much as y'all had your radar off.

Maybe Gary England should of helped the sports division with that radar.

Cam
4/12/2006, 08:30 PM
You've never coached and haven't played an organized sport since what, Jr High? Yet here you are talking like you've hired and fired coaches all your life.

You're over your head quite a bit, yet you still continue posting.

I'll give the nod to Joe C's opinion over yours any day of the week.

For ****s sake, give the guy a chance before you bury him.

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2006, 08:35 PM
For ****s sake, give the guy a chance before you bury him.
Nick didn't say he should bury him, or shouldn't bury him. He could bury him, or he could not bury him. At some point in the future Nick might bury him, or might not bury him.

birddog
4/12/2006, 08:40 PM
I hope to sweet maria that nick changes allegiances to indiana now. please nick, please join the hoosiers forum and share your brilliant mind with hoosier fans.

NickZeppelin
4/12/2006, 09:04 PM
I'm never going to change from being an OU fan. Why would I?

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2006, 09:05 PM
I'm never going to change from being an OU fan. Why would I?
Cash.

Lots of CASH.

What's your price?

NickZeppelin
4/12/2006, 09:11 PM
You couldn't find enough cash in this or any other world.

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2006, 09:12 PM
You couldn't find enough cash in this or any other world.
So martian money is out?

soonersin07
4/12/2006, 10:12 PM
haha, nick reminds of that kid in middle school that was laughed at by everyone but he just assumed he was funny.

NickZeppelin
4/12/2006, 11:17 PM
haha, nick reminds of that kid in middle school that was laughed at by everyone but he just assumed he was funny.

When I was laughed at in Middle School I probably tried to kill them.

sanantoniosooner
4/12/2006, 11:19 PM
When I was laughed at in Middle School I probably tried to kill them.
You don't remember?

I could give you an alphabetical list of the people I'VE tried to kill.

NickZeppelin
4/12/2006, 11:40 PM
I could probably do three alphabetical lists back and forth.

picasso
4/12/2006, 11:50 PM
belch!

Jeff Lebo.

stoopified
4/13/2006, 12:24 AM
Not sure he IS the answer but willing to wait and see.

badger
4/13/2006, 12:27 AM
he has potential. he has more potential than Samsung (*whoops!*)

SleestakSooner
4/14/2006, 09:49 AM
I could probably do three alphabetical lists back and forth.

OH YEAH!?! Well my alphabetical list is bigger than yours!:texan:

GottaHavePride
9/25/2007, 09:39 PM
Oh man. Remember this thread? I love the title. PT was always good at thread titles.

william_brasky
9/25/2007, 10:02 PM
good times. good times.

takes me back to the days of my masterpiece: http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66039

OKC-SLC
9/25/2007, 10:02 PM
heh.

goingoneight
9/25/2007, 10:09 PM
I kinda like Capel... hope he continues to improve. It's kinda funny reading how NickyZepp used to kill people and all. :D

PrideTrombone
9/25/2007, 10:39 PM
Oh man. Remember this thread? I love the title. PT was always good at thread titles.

Heh. I'm willing to eat a little crow on this one so far. He's done all we can ask of him at this point.

GottaHavePride
9/25/2007, 10:48 PM
I was searching for something completely different and found this thread.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/25/2007, 11:12 PM
heh, cocaines a helluva drug

birddog
9/26/2007, 05:37 PM
recruiting looks to be going well. that's pretty much what i thought he'd do for us.

SoonerStormchaser
9/26/2007, 08:43 PM
I miss being able to laugh at Nick Zepp. Can we bring him back as the Soonerfans.com official asshat?

Desert Sapper
9/27/2007, 07:12 AM
I miss being able to laugh at Nick Zepp. Can we bring him back as the Soonerfans.com official asshat?

You mean he isn't acting under aliases? I thought that was his MO.

sanantoniosooner
9/27/2007, 07:17 AM
You signed on for two years.

Back out now and we'll sue.

soonerboomer93
9/27/2007, 07:52 PM

post reported...

birddog
9/28/2007, 12:40 AM
oh, nick is very much alive here. he's littlewingsooner.

badger
9/28/2007, 11:52 AM
I like Capel too, but I worry that after he's a success here, he'll bolt for Dukie when K retires. Perhaps we can convince him how wonderful it is to have good basketball AND football programs at a university?

In any event, until that time comes (and it looks to still be far away, seeing how K "loves" his team and they named the court after him), here's hoping that he continues storming the court and the refs any time his players show complacency, and the technicals continue coming when we miss too many shots.

Unfortunately, those were the best parts of last season. But, I still think the best is yet to come. We'll be back in the tourney in no time...

Here's a few smileys I think should be in our regular rotation:
[capel]
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/522/capelsmileyqi5.jpg
[sherri]
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7240/coalesmileysh8.jpg

Stoop Dawg
10/5/2007, 02:41 PM
Heh. I'm willing to eat a little crow on this one so far. He's done all we can ask of him at this point.

I didn't read the whole thread. Or, anything past the first page to be honest.

Why exactly are you eating crow?

william_brasky
10/5/2007, 03:23 PM
I like Capel too, but I worry that after he's a success here, he'll bolt for Dukie when K retires.

I would hope that Jeff realizes that you never follow a legend. Whoever takes over after K will be out of there in 3-5 years.

Anyway, if Joe C. would get off his *** with the LNC being a horrible bball venue and get something done, maybe Capel wouldn't wanna leave. Like ever.

birddog
11/16/2007, 08:35 PM
any of you horny yahoos have a picture of capel's wife?

tia.

badger
11/16/2007, 09:06 PM
any of you horny yahoos have a picture of capel's wife?

tia.
I have a few off off ss.com, but I don't like being called a horny yahoo, especially since I'm a chick and I love NP :)

So... perhaps some spek would get me to loosen my grip of these photos and polite "kplzthx" ???

:D

Lott's Bandana
11/17/2007, 10:30 AM
Saw Coach Capel and his wife eating lunch at Jason's Deli only about two weeks after Joe C hired him. No one else recognized him while they quietly talked together. Got me thinking about the culture shock they were likely going through: Durham, Richmond, Norman. Oh, and I didn't see'm him use his cell phone...not once!

Weird thing: saw Gary Gibbs eating at Jason's the next time I went in there...no one recognized him either!

Harry Beanbag
11/17/2007, 11:00 AM
Oh, and I didn't seem him use his cell phone...not once!

Sounds like Sampson could stand to take some pointers from Jeff. :)

badger
11/17/2007, 07:35 PM
aallllrighhhhhhhhht, birddog, you effin hillbilly:
these are off ss.com from the coach hiring intro thingy:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2439/capelwife1nb0.jpg
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/3816/capelwife2vz8.jpg

stoopified
11/21/2007, 04:33 PM
Weird thing: saw Gary Gibbs eating at Jason's the next time I went in there...no one recognized him either!I think EVERYONE recognized him but nobody cared.

stoopified
11/21/2007, 04:50 PM
I got sidetracked on this thread.I am pleased with Capel to this Point.When he was hired I was startled by his hiring because he never occurred to me.I did think we would get a midmajor headcoach and he DID fit that bill so I wasn't disappointed.In his first season Jeff did as well as could be expected under the circumstances.If we get around 20 wins and qualify fo the NIT at least,I will be satisfied that we are making progress.I am impressed with this class just signed and look forward to a bright future.

OUmillenium
12/7/2007, 11:25 AM
Bump

Capel seems to be doing a nice job so far this season. Sure helps when the talent improves...whether through recruiting or player development...or both.

Civicus_Sooner
12/7/2007, 05:46 PM
All these former Dukies have shown they can recruit. Coaching 'em up, not so much. I hope Capel can change the trend.

Civicus_Sooner
12/7/2007, 05:47 PM
Here's a few smileys I think should be in our regular rotation:
[capel]
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/522/capelsmileyqi5.jpg
[sherri]
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7240/coalesmileysh8.jpg
Let's see....[sherri] Damn, didn't work.

LittleWingSooner
12/9/2007, 12:06 AM
After a full season and almost half another one. I'm still not sure if Capel was the right choice.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/9/2007, 01:28 AM
After a full season and almost half another one. I'm still not sure if Capel was the right choice.
Don't jump off the bandwagon just yet. Ironically enough, his mentor, Coach K, didn't set the world on fire his first three years at Duke; he even had back-to-back losing records. Give Capel another couple of years before deciding whether he's the next Coach K or the next Quin Snyder.

p.s. I wouldn't be shocked if they beat Arkansas next Saturday.

LittleWingSooner
12/9/2007, 01:54 AM
Don't jump off the bandwagon just yet. Ironically enough, his mentor, Coach K, didn't set the world on fire his first three years at Duke; he even had back-to-back losing records. Give Capel another couple of years before deciding whether he's the next Coach K or the next Quin Snyder.

p.s. I wouldn't be shocked if they beat Arkansas next Saturday.

That's true and I agree he'll get atleast 1 or 2 more years to show he can win. But he should be having this thing going a lot better than he has it now. I actually liked how we got to a point where it looked like we would be a team that would make a postseason tournament last year. We were 15-8 I think. But we ended up 16-14 or 16-15. Since then it's been pretty lackluster.

bluedogok
12/9/2007, 12:47 PM
Calvin Simpson left the program in not so good of shape, especially after all the recruits bailed out. What was his record the first few years after Tubbs left? He was 23-9 in 1995 (Tubbs left better players for him than Capel inherited), 17-13 in 1996, 19-11 in 1997 and 22-11 in 1998 and 1999. I think the program was in much better shape after Tubbs than after Simpson. Most of the players stayed and Sampson was not faced with probation and sanctions.

It is going to take a little time to get the program back on a solid footing and I think it is too early say the Capel era is a failure considering the state the program was left in. IT IS a rebuilding phase for the program, there will be some pains along the way and patience will be required.

LittleWingSooner
12/9/2007, 01:55 PM
Calvin Simpson left the program in not so good of shape, especially after all the recruits bailed out. What was his record the first few years after Tubbs left? He was 23-9 in 1995 (Tubbs left better players for him than Capel inherited), 17-13 in 1996, 19-11 in 1997 and 22-11 in 1998 and 1999. I think the program was in much better shape after Tubbs than after Simpson. Most of the players stayed and Sampson was not faced with probation and sanctions.

Tubbs didn't leave better players. He left one better player. All of Tubbs players were gone within 2 years of Sampson being here. Really we were in worse shape coming in then we are right now.

Sampson ran a simpler offense and played to his strengths. Right now we aren't playing to our strengths real well. We should be feeding the ball inside or isolating with our best players. We aren't doing that right now.

Tubbs left us very little also. Ryan Minor was really it. We have better all around role players if they would be used right. But I don't think Capel knows how to use them.

Also Kelvin left 2 solid signees which Capel lost.

bluedogok
12/9/2007, 04:11 PM
Well, I disagree, the bench as awfully bare last season and it wasn't as bare when Sampson took over. Sampson also didn't have recruiting restriction placed on him when he took over unlike when he left.

As far as Sampson's recruits, signees aren't players, 99% of recruits sign because of coaches so when coaches leave so do the recruits. The fact that they disappeared with Sampson indicates that to me that was the case. It might have also served to heap more restrictions on the school.

LittleWingSooner
12/9/2007, 04:20 PM
Capel's biggest problem has been his recruiting. He got Bobby Maze who is no longer at OU. Chris Early-again no longer at OU. Davis and Neysmith are burried on the bench and didn't really play that well when given a chance.

Blake Griffin is his only signee that has played a lot and he was first offered by OU when Kelvin Sampson was coach. Capel's biggest disability is recruiting so far.

King Crimson
12/9/2007, 04:53 PM
Capel's biggest problem has been his recruiting. He got Bobby Maze who is no longer at OU. Chris Early-again no longer at OU. Davis and Neysmith are burried on the bench and didn't really play that well when given a chance.

Blake Griffin is his only signee that has played a lot and he was first offered by OU when Kelvin Sampson was coach. Capel's biggest disability is recruiting so far.

two McD's AA's for Capel in 2 years. another great argument Nick.

Ardmore_Sooner
12/9/2007, 05:47 PM
Hey Nick, long time no see! Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

LittleWingSooner
12/9/2007, 06:57 PM
two McD's AA's for Capel in 2 years. another great argument Nick.

Last I looked so far it is one. And he was first offered by Kelvin Sampson not Jeff Capel.

Hey Nick, long time no see! Don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Who said I'm going anywhere?

King Crimson
12/9/2007, 07:05 PM
Last I looked so far it is one. And he was first offered by Kelvin Sampson not Jeff Capel.

predictable enough. "first offered", what the hell does that mean? Tyler Hansborough was prolly "first offered" by Quin Snyder.

as i'm sure you know from your presence on other boards, the Griffin's were not real pleased with Sampson.

so, what you are saying is offered, not signed?

Newbomb Turk
12/9/2007, 07:10 PM
Capel's biggest problem has been his recruiting.

so Warren is no good?

LittleWingSooner
12/9/2007, 07:23 PM
so Warren is no good?

We'll find out about Warren when he gets here in a year. I only know the guy by name and a few highlights. That doesn't tell you a lot about him as a player and if he fits in a system.

predictable enough. "first offered", what the hell does that mean? Tyler Hansborough was prolly "first offered" by Quin Snyder.

as i'm sure you know from your presence on other boards, the Griffin's were not real pleased with Sampson.

so, what you are saying is offered, not signed?

The stuff about Griffin's not being pleased isn't true. But I will agree Capel did a good job of getting Griffin here. But he's not really made us any better. He's not the scorer Nate Carter was. He's also had a bad attitude with the team. Blake has a long ways to go to be a good player.

King Crimson
12/9/2007, 07:32 PM
We'll find out about Warren when he gets here in a year. I only know the guy by name and a few highlights. That doesn't tell you a lot about him as a player and if he fits in a system.

The stuff about Griffin's not being pleased isn't true. But I will agree Capel did a good job of getting Griffin here. But he's not really made us any better. He's not the scorer Nate Carter was. He's also had a bad attitude with the team. Blake has a long ways to go to be a good player.

Nate Carter was a transfer, not a college FR.

hey Turk, wanna order me a pizza?

King Crimson
12/9/2007, 07:36 PM
so Warren is no good?

yeah, Warren sucks. so bad, that Kansas wanted him like crazy. so did Carolina.

Newbomb Turk
12/9/2007, 08:31 PM
hey Turk, wanna order me a pizza?

:D

JohnnyMack
12/12/2007, 10:36 PM
I see no leadership or control of this team by our guards.

Our half court offense is suspect.

We need a point guard. In the worst way.

Ash
12/12/2007, 11:13 PM
Little Wing Sooner couldn't be more wrong about the recruiting. Capel's done a good job overall of recruiting so far.

It's amazing that he's getting guys like Warren to pass on Kansas and other programs considering the fickle fan support this team has. Sampson left us the bench players from his team, many of which weren't developed as players under his tenure. Plus the NCAA issues.

It'll be a couple of years before Capel's program is running on all cylinders but he's done a good job so far. One bad game doesn't make or break a program or season.

Warren is a big time player. How he fits into the team? Sure, we'll have to see. But that was a great sign by Capel, if you can't see that you don't know anything about college bball or the recruiting landscape for the 08 class.

In terms of guards, the biggest problem is consistency and Leary needs some time to find his way on this team. You can find times when any one of our guards has played great but they don't do it night in and night out. If we can get some consistent play from the backcourt, you'll see some improvement overall.

OUmillenium
12/12/2007, 11:27 PM
I agree, I think recruiting may be Capel's strength in the long run. No knock on his coaching ability, I just think he has been a very good recruiter and will soon be known as a GREAT recruiter. And the more talent we get in, the faster and better we will play. It's Capel's 2nd year folks.

stoopified
12/22/2007, 11:36 AM
Damn right Jeff F'ING Capel.Iknew it all along. :)

Remembering Tom Stidham
12/22/2007, 12:01 PM
Kelvin was a pathetic recruiter. Capel is a GREAT one. The talent will be coming in.

SleestakSooner
12/22/2007, 12:39 PM

HEY MR MORAN! You sure you actually watch any of the games? Do you read about incoming rectruits? All you do is talk out your *** and make assinine comments like "Capel's biggest problem is recruiting". How in the ****ing world could you have a clue about how well a coach can recruit after just one and a half seasons? To top that, Willie Warren (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=42534) was being recruited by Kentucky, Cincinnatti and UConn to name a few. He is ranked in the top 20 of nearly every listing out there. He signed a LOI with the Sooners and hasn't wavered one bit since!

You really ought to take your bull**** elsewhere cuz it ain't gonna fly round here. Capel is the man. He has the Sooners going in the right direction and will soon show you and all the other haters out there that OU is not just a foolsball school!

[/rant]

Once again... you know this how?

Dammit NT where is that pizza?

LittleWingSooner
12/22/2007, 03:47 PM
HEY MR MORAN! You sure you actually watch any of the games? Do you read about incoming rectruits? All you do is talk out your *** and make assinine comments like "Capel's biggest problem is recruiting". How in the ****ing world could you have a clue about how well a coach can recruit after just one and a half seasons? To top that, Willie Warren (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=42534) was being recruited by Kentucky, Cincinnatti and UConn to name a few. He is ranked in the top 20 of nearly every listing out there. He signed a LOI with the Sooners and hasn't wavered one bit since!

You really ought to take your bull**** elsewhere cuz it ain't gonna fly round here. Capel is the man. He has the Sooners going in the right direction and will soon show you and all the other haters out there that OU is not just a foolsball school!

[/rant]

I don't care if Willie Warren was recruited by God and we got him or where he's ranked. I've read some things on him but I won't believe his hype till he comes to OU. It'll be what he does on the court at OU that really matters to me.

Once again... you know this how?

I know based off the 6 or 7 games I saw with him in HS and the 15 or so games based on college.

Civicus_Sooner
12/22/2007, 04:10 PM
Kelvin was a pathetic recruiter. ...and he was cheating at that.

Civicus_Sooner
12/22/2007, 04:18 PM
I've read some things on him but I won't believe his hype till he comes to OU. I'd love to read up on it myself. Please share a link or even paraphrase and cite said publications.

Jeopardude
12/22/2007, 07:50 PM
I don't care if Willie Warren was recruited by God and we got him or where he's ranked. I've read some things on him but I won't believe his hype till he comes to OU. It'll be what he does on the court at OU that really matters to me.

Then how can you moan about Bobby Maze (originally a KS recruit) leaving? Did you see him oncourt? He was in love with his own dribbling, immature and a horrible decision maker. His departure was likely a good thing for Capel.

LittleWingSooner
12/22/2007, 08:44 PM
Then how can you moan about Bobby Maze (originally a KS recruit) leaving? Did you see him oncourt? He was in love with his own dribbling, immature and a horrible decision maker. His departure was likely a good thing for Capel.

Bobby Maze was a Capel recruit.

Soonerfan1993
12/23/2007, 10:35 AM
Blake Griffin not better then Nate Carter lmao! The only thing Nate Carter is better at is FT shooting. He didn't show up untill Big 12 play his sr year.

Blake is a better ball handler, better low post threat, better defender, better rebounder, blocks quite a bit more shots, and actually post, quite a bit more athletic and quite a bit more stronger.

Nate Carter was a 6'6 tweener who couldn't block shots, was a average rebounder, average defender and could get shutdown by big posts like Blake Griffin offensively where he had to take the guy off the dribble 20 feet from the basket, and be a no show the rest of the game.

C&CDean
12/23/2007, 10:46 AM
Nick,

Why don't you just ****ing stop? Every time you type letters on your keyboard you completely remove all doubt that you are a complete and total loser who thinks making outlandish and stupid statements will gain you some attention.

1. You obviously haven't gone and seen Blake Griffin play in person. If you had, you wouldn't be talking out your poophole.

2. Nate Carter? A nice player, but nowhere near Blake Griffin's universe. No. Where. Near.

3. Capel can't recruit? Says you. And you're a dumbass.

How about going back to the other boards where you attention whore and leave this one alone before your latest reincarnation goes the way of your previous board ignoramouses?

birddog
12/23/2007, 10:56 AM
nick zeppelin? nick ****ing zeppelin???

SleestakSooner
12/23/2007, 11:23 AM
I want to see the ticket stubs. Nicky-poo didn't go to any of those games. He's a closet aggot and saves all his pennies to visit GIA every chance he gets. He may have seen Blake play a couple of times but only on TV. Prove me wrong you lying little POS!

LittleWingSooner
12/24/2007, 09:18 AM
Nick,

Why don't you just ****ing stop? Every time you type letters on your keyboard you completely remove all doubt that you are a complete and total loser who thinks making outlandish and stupid statements will gain you some attention.

1. You obviously haven't gone and seen Blake Griffin play in person. If you had, you wouldn't be talking out your poophole.

I saw him is HS he's the same guy he was in HS. Athletic not a great basketball player that this point.

2. Nate Carter? A nice player, but nowhere near Blake Griffin's universe. No. Where. Near.

I would take a guy that's consistent like Carter was the end of last year. Longar is our best player right now because he's shown up almost every game. That's something Crocker has had trouble with also. Crocker should be our best player.

3. Capel can't recruit? Says you. And you're a dumbass.

I don't care to follow recruiting rankings because they are all about the same in the end. You have guys that live up the hype like AD and guys who never really show they are that good like Bomar.

Looking at Capel's recruits so far

Bobby Maze is no longer at OU
Chris Early is no longer at OU
James Neysmith and Cade Davis don't even get backup minutes.

The only recruits he's gotten the last 2 years that get any minutes are Leary and Griffin.

C&CDean
12/24/2007, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I know Nick, Griffin sucks. He sucks so bad we can only hope he gives us a couple years before he goes to the NBA. Man, it sucks to have athletic guys who can't play basketball.

My finger is on the trigger nick. Go ahead, make my day.

Newbomb Turk
12/24/2007, 10:31 AM
James Neysmith and Cade Davis don't even get backup minutes.

any relation to this guy?

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2006-08/15/xin_35080315113209118163102.jpg

LittleWingSooner
12/24/2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I know Nick, Griffin sucks. He sucks so bad we can only hope he gives us a couple years before he goes to the NBA. Man, it sucks to have athletic guys who can't play basketball.

My finger is on the trigger nick. Go ahead, make my day.

I never said Griffin sucks. I would like for you to point out where I even came close to saying that. All I said is he's not the greatest player ever like you seem to think.

He'll probably be really good in a couple years. Right now his athletic ability is way way ahead of his basketball skills.

SleestakSooner
12/24/2007, 11:42 AM
proof?