PDA

View Full Version : Apparently Gamecocks Want Capel

SleestakSooner
3/22/2008, 03:34 AM
and the tool that wrote this article (http://sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10728189)thinks it's a no-brainer that he will accept the job offer at South Cackalackee right after the Sooners exit the tournament!

What ****es me off is the way he makes a team like USC, with almost no winning tradition (except for two recent NIT championships in 2005 and 2006) seem like it's a dream job for Capel compared to having to live in Oklahoma.:mad:

I sent him a scathing response, and asked him if he is willing to eat crow when Capel tells them no thanks.

SoonerStormchaser
3/22/2008, 05:49 AM
dude, it's his JOB to throw literary grenades like that piece of **** article...oh well.

stoopified
3/22/2008, 09:12 AM
MARK IT DOWN,there is NO WAY Capel takes a step down to coach at South Carolina.Carolina does not have any tradition and would be fighting against many teamswith better traditions for its very life.Among teams in the area that are WAAAAYYYY better:UNC,Kentucky,Florida,Goergia Tech,Duke,Clemson,Virginia Commonwealth(ironic,huh?).The Gamecocks ASPIRE to be an OKLAHOMA but wthout the sucess.

I do think Capel will leave OU,for a BIG-TIME basketball job but will not make a lateral move and CERTAINLY NOT a downward move to a program like South Carolina.

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/22/2008, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't leave as long as my biggest in-state competition is coached by Sean Sutton.

Jay C. Upchurch
3/22/2008, 10:03 AM
ZERO chance Capel leaves OU for a program like South Carolina, especially when he's adding Willie Warren, Ryan Wright and Orlando Allen to his rotation next season... and only losing Godbold and Longar...

Gary Parrish, much like his CBS cohort Dennis Dodd, almost always writes his "columns" with one goal in mind -- to create as many knee-jerk reactions as possible. It's a sad but true statement about those two wankers and numerous other members of the media and the culture they feed.

Creating a controversy often sells subscriptions... the truth be damned.

Socrefbek
3/22/2008, 10:06 AM
I thought the article was even keeled. The writer said Capel may feel it is a better opportunity and was closer to his N. Carolina roots. He also quitre correctly discussed the slippery slope of responding to questions about possible job offers for college coaches.

I do not think Capel would depart for S. Carolina. It makes no sense. He has some very good recruits coming in and Blake Griffin is back next. I am not worried this year, I am worried if a job comes up next year at a top Basketball school after the Sooners make a good tourney run and Blake Griffin is probably going pro.

MojoRisen
3/22/2008, 10:33 AM
We should have some money to pony up for Capel if need be. He has done a good job and I think with his own recruits will get us back to the top of the big 12 but that is still a world apart from Kansas and Texas with many teams lumped together.

I think if we have one coach making over a million a year we should also aspire for another coach in the same category. The market kind of defines salaries not always Capel's resume.

Would any of you give him 4 year extension at a Million bones? I am not totally convinced of that but who would you get to replace him?

Jay C. Upchurch
3/22/2008, 10:35 AM
It's in this graph where Parrish is trying to stir the pot and generate reaction...

----------

"...and there isn't a person in college basketball I know who believes Capel won't be the next coach of the Gamecocks. According to sources, an offer is expected to be made within days (if not hours) of Oklahoma's season ending, and the smart money has Capel accepting the position primarily because it would get him closer to his North Carolina roots."

----------

That statement is so ambiguous, it's laughable... unnamed persons and unnamed sources... wow, he's really got my attention now.

Accepting the position because it gets him closer to his North Carolina roots is ludicrous. That's a GOOD reason to leave a solid program for a mediocre program, and thus potentially put yourself in a position to fail?

I can promise you Capel is not worried about getting back to his "roots" at all costs. He's an extremely confident and intelligent man, and he will at some point probably move back to the East Coast on his own terms and not just because he's homesick.

He's definitely back here next season and I believe a few seasons beyond that. It will all depend on his recruiting classes and how long he can keep guys like Blake Griffin and Willie Warren, etc.... But Capel is not the type of guy who is going to chase a LESSER job in hopes of moving closer to his roots. That's ridiculous.

OUstud
3/22/2008, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't leave as long as my biggest in-state competition is coached by Scott Sutton.

fixed

SoonerMom2
3/22/2008, 10:53 AM
There was an interview with Coach Capel in the Oklahoman this week by Wright where he addressed this issue:

Wed March 19, 2008
Capel responds to South Carolina question
By Scott Wright
Staff Writer

Even though the rest of his family is 1500 miles away, Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel says he and his wife are happy in Oklahoma.
The statement came in response to a question about his interest in the vacant head coaching position at South Carolina during an interview Tuesday evening with Al Eschbach on WWLS The Sports Animal.

"My wife and I moved halfway across the country to come here,” Capel said in the interview. All of our family is back in North Carolina, and this is where we want to be. We actually see our family probably more now than we did when we were at VCU, when it was three hours away, because my wife's not working.”

Last week, GamecockCentral.com, a Rivals network Web site, cited sources close to South Carolina "with direct knowledge of the search” as saying Capel is the leading candidate and that the OU coach, through his representatives, has expressed interest in the job.

"I've had no talks or no contact or anything from South Carolina,” Capel said Tuesday.

"I've said before when I first got here: this is where we want to be.

"When I say we, my family and I, my wife, my little girl. We like it here, contrary to what I've heard people say. And we feel like we're building something special and doing it the right way.”

King Crimson
3/22/2008, 10:59 AM
It's a sad but true statement about those two wankers and numerous other members of the media and the culture they feed.

Creating a controversy often sells subscriptions... the truth be damned.

this is exactly true and extends beyond merely the world of college hoops. as long as journalism is produced with the consumer in mind/ratings/market share.....it will always trade "truth" for a "good story"--10 years ago people used to talk about the "tabloidization of the news" or "infotainment"....now, those *same* things are taken for granted. I realize this isn't their piece, but ESPN is a JOKE as a news source. bad punditry does not equal news. it may drive opinion, which is sad, but the irresponsibility and outright inaccuracy of some their "big stories" over the years are astonishing.

blaming the media for this crap is one thing; but, not acknowledging that it's consumer driven is short-sited. especially true this election cycle and all this is even moreso true transposed to the political sphere.

off soap box.

tulsaoilerfan
3/22/2008, 11:43 AM
What does Blevins think?

SleestakSooner
3/22/2008, 01:36 PM
That story was about as "even keeled" as the Titanic.

It's funny, I was searching all over ESPN and CBS Sports web pages for a story on the Sooners and this was the only thing I could find other than a game recap.

Not one person stepped up on ESPN to say they were wrong about OU losing in the first round.

Anyhow, I felt it was ridiculous to say "smart money" has Capel going to SC. Looks like most of you guys agree.

Readyfor8
3/22/2008, 02:17 PM
Enough of this stuff about a family being 1500 miles away, it's time we fixed that if we want to keep coaches forever... I vote we raise the money for a Gaylord Family Memorial Citation 5 with a Gaylord Family Memorial 24hr. Access Pilot...

StoopTroup
3/22/2008, 02:29 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of folks who would assist with maintenance of the aircraft.

Citations are cool.

jdsooner
3/23/2008, 12:32 AM
From Gary Parrish at CBS Sportsline:

They started weeks ago and have intensified with time, and there isn't a person in college basketball I know who believes Capel won't be the next coach of the Gamecocks. According to sources, an offer is expected to be made within days (if not hours) of Oklahoma's season ending, and the smart money has Capel accepting the position primarily because it would get him closer to his North Carolina roots.

SoonerMom2
3/23/2008, 09:21 AM
Dean Blevins weighed in last night and said Capel didn't deny it and spun what Capel said to the players that he could be leaving completely ignoring what Capel told The Oklahoman's Scott Wright. Blevins is an insult to sports reporting and anyone with brains IMHO. If I were Pres Boren, he would never do another OU sports show again. We went through this with Blevins reporting on Stoops year after year. Remember when Blevins had Stoops in FL and he was spotted at a local restaurant in Norman? Blevins is one of the worst sports reporters although the guy from Tulsa that is on with him makes it unbearable to watch their touted Sports Blitz. Toby Roland is the only person that I like on that station during the Blitz and I can listen to him on KREF in the morning.

In fact, KREF makes OU sports enjoyable unlike the other sports radio or the TV except for Fox Sports. I love Myron and PJ Mills!

King Crimson
3/23/2008, 09:29 AM
Dean Blevins weighed in last night and said Capel didn't deny it and spun what Capel said to the players that he could be leaving completely ignoring what Capel told The Oklahoman's Scott Wright. Blevins is an insult to sports reporting and anyone with brains IMHO. If I were Pres Boren, he would never do another OU sports show again. We went through this with Blevins reporting on Stoops year after year. Remember when Blevins had Stoops in FL and he was spotted at a local restaurant in Norman? Blevins is one of the worst sports reporters although the guy from Tulsa that is on with him makes it unbearable to watch their touted Sports Blitz. Toby Roland is the only person that I like on that station during the Blitz and I can listen to him on KREF in the morning.

In fact, KREF makes OU sports enjoyable unlike the other sports radio or the TV except for Fox Sports. I love Myron and PJ Mills!

i'm with you Mom. Blevins is tool. Who knows what will happen with this, but Dean as a human being i can tell you is a "tool". my sister used to work at the Mont, and Dean had some less than stellar moments there.

and i'm out of state and check the REF or only during football season the "Urinal".....but i like Myron's show a lot and i don't even care about the NBA much.

joeTsooner
3/23/2008, 09:36 AM
I think this guy comes from the Jenni Carlson school of sports writing.

Here is the USC Mens Bball tradition:

Southern Conference Tournament: 1 (1933)
ACC Championship: 1 (1971)
ACC Tournament Runner-Up: 2 (1957, 1970)
SEC Championship: 1 (1997)
SEC Tournament Runner-Up: 2 (2006, 1998)
NIT Championships: 2 (2006, 05)
NCAA Tournament: 8 appearances

Not to say we are the bluest of the blue blood of mens college basketball, but still.

SleestakSooner
3/27/2008, 04:56 PM
And apparently the "smart money" in SC ain't that smart.

Parrish will probably try to ignore that crap he wrote last week.

badger
3/27/2008, 05:16 PM
From obscure facts of the day...

Somebody on Wikipedia changed Capel's profile to say that "March 26, 2008, he was named head coach of the University of South Carolina." However, it was almost immediately removed :D

Beef
3/28/2008, 08:40 AM
And apparently the "smart money" in SC ain't that smart.

Parrish will probably try to ignore that crap he wrote last week.

And apparently there isn't a person in college basketball that he knows that knows **** about college basketball.

badger
3/28/2008, 10:45 AM
Well, as long as he insulted Oklahoma as a place he has no reason to stay in, let us count the reasons why South Carolina is not much better. I vacation there every other year and it is wonderful, but I live here full-time, so there:

1- The NAACP economic boycott. You don't really want to upset the NAACP, do you? :rolleyes:

2- The recruiting problems: Spurrier has called attention to it many times. He wants the Confederate Flag out of fan's views on ESPN's Gameday, he wants USC to allow players who qualify academically by NCAA standards on his team that don't necessarily meet USC standards. There is nothing wrong with high academic standards for a coach... until it results in things like this. Which recruits that want to play for you will be swayed after realizing their academically ineligible?

3- Clemson. You already have a much more established program in-state that went to the tourney this year. You have far greater competition for recruits, television time and fans with all the basketball programs in the area. Think rebuilding OU was a challenge? Wait till you arrive in ESPN Land.

Ok, I kind of like South Carolina, so I'll stop there, but I think that any state that thinks they're superior to Oklahoma needs to look in the mirror.