PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Good Friday

Okla-homey
3/21/2008, 05:39 AM
34 Anno Domini: The Most Influential Figure in History Is Publicly Executed

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6228/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz6.gif (http://imageshack.us)

By common tradition, around 1974 years ago today, on a barren hill beyond the city walls of Jerusalem, Roman soldiers carrying out the will of the people nailed a young Jewish prophet's body to a cross. Two robbers were crucified with Him. The earthly ministry of the Lamb was almost over. The crowd sickened quickly of its revenge and scattered; His friends were hiding; the soldiers gambled for His clothing. Surely the victory of His enemies was complete.

And yet - the lasting victory was His. Moreover, we can share in it,

Have a happy and blessed Easter

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16 (KJV)

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/492/insane7zo4bf.jpg

Preservation Parcels
3/21/2008, 06:53 AM
Friday's here, but Sunday's coming!

video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX_7j32zgNw)

That's My King

The late Dr. S. M. Lockridge, a pastor from San Diego, California
said these words in a sermon in Detroit in 1976:

My King was born King. The Bible says He's a Seven Way King. He's the King of the Jews - that's an Ethnic King. He's the King of Israel - that's a National King. He's the King of righteousness. He's the King of the ages. He's the King of Heaven. He's the King of glory. He's the King of kings and He is the Lord of lords. Now that's my King.

Well, I wonder if you know Him. Do you know Him? Don't try to mislead me. Do you know my King? David said the Heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament shows His handiwork. My King is the only one of whom there are no means of measure that can define His limitless love. No far seeing telescope can bring into visibility the coastline of the shore of His supplies. No barriers can hinder Him from pouring out His blessing.

He's enduringly strong. He's entirely sincere. He's eternally steadfast. He's immortally graceful. He's imperially powerful. He's impartially merciful. That's my King. He's God's Son. He's the sinner's saviour. He's the centerpiece of civilization. He stands alone in Himself. He's honest. He's unique. He's unparalleled. He's unprecedented. He's supreme. He's pre-eminent. He's the grandest idea in literature. He's the highest personality in philosophy. He's the supreme problem in higher criticism. He's the fundamental doctrine of historic theology. He's the carnal necessity of spiritual religion. That's my King.

He's the miracle of the age. He's the superlative of everything good that you choose to call Him. He's the only one able to supply all our needs simultaneously. He supplies strength for the weak. He's available for the tempted and the tried. He sympathizes and He saves. He's the Almighty God who guides and keeps all his people. He heals the sick. He cleanses the lepers. He forgives sinners. He discharged debtors. He delivers the captives. He defends the feeble. He blesses the young. He serves the unfortunate. He regards the aged. He rewards the diligent and He beautifies the meek. That's my King.

Do you know Him? Well, my King is a King of knowledge. He's the wellspring of wisdom. He's the doorway of deliverance. He's the pathway of peace. He's the roadway of righteousness. He's the highway of holiness. He's the gateway of glory. He's the master of the mighty. He's the captain of the conquerors. He's the head of the heroes. He's the leader of the legislatures. He's the overseer of the overcomers. He's the governor of governors. He's the prince of princes. He's the King of kings and He's the Lord of lords. That's my King.

His office is manifold. His promise is sure. His light is matchless. His goodness is limitless. His mercy is everlasting. His love never changes. His Word is enough. His grace is sufficient. His reign is righteous. His yoke is easy and His burden is light. I wish I could describe Him to you . . . but He's indescribable. That's my King. He's incomprehensible, He's invincible, and He is irresistible.

I'm coming to tell you this, that the heavens of heavens can't contain Him, let alone some man explain Him. You can't get Him out of your mind. You can't get Him off of your hands. You can't outlive Him and you can't live without Him. The Pharisees couldn't stand Him, but they found out they couldn't stop Him. Pilate couldn't find any fault in Him. The witnesses couldn't get their testimonies to agree about Him. Herod couldn't kill Him. Death couldn't handle Him and the grave couldn't hold Him. That's my King.

He always has been and He always will be. I'm talking about the fact that He had no predecessor and He'll have no successor. There's nobody before Him and there'll be nobody after Him. You can't impeach Him and He's not going to resign. That's my King! That's my King!

Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory. Well, all the power belongs to my King. We're around here talking about black power and white power and green power, but in the end all that matters is God's power. Thine is the power. Yeah. And the glory. We try to get prestige and honor and glory for ourselves, but the glory is all His. Yes. Thine is the Kingdom and the power and glory, forever and ever and ever and ever. How long is that? Forever and ever and ever and ever. . . And when you get through with all of the ever's, then . . .Amen!

A joyous, triumphant Easter to ALL!

SoonerStormchaser
3/21/2008, 08:11 AM
Jeez, I totally forgot it was today...shows my lack of outside SA right now.

StoopTroup
3/21/2008, 08:39 AM
You need to think more outside the box SSC. :D

Taxman71
3/21/2008, 08:49 AM
It's Friday. Jesus is arrested in the garden where He was praying. But Sunday's coming.
It's Friday. The disciples are hiding and Peter's denying that he knows the Lord. But Sunday's coming.
It's Friday. Jesus is standing before the high priest of Israel, silent as a lamb before the slaughter. But Sunday's coming.
It's Friday. Jesus is beaten, mocked, and spit upon. But Sunday's coming.
It's Friday. Those Roman soldiers are flogging our Lord with a leather scourge that has bits of bones and glass and metal, tearing at his flesh. But Sunday's coming.
It's Friday. The Son of man stands firm as they press the crown of thorns down into his brow. But Sunday's coming.
It's Friday. See Him walking to Calvary, the blood dripping from His body. See the cross crashing down on His back as He stumbles beneath the load. It's Friday; but Sunday's a coming.
It's Friday. See those Roman soldiers driving the nails into the feet and hands of my Lord. Hear my Jesus cry, "Father, forgive them." It's Friday; but Sunday's coming.
It's Friday. Jesus is hanging on the cross, bloody and dying. But Sunday's coming.
It's Friday. The sky grows dark, the earth begins to tremble, and He who knew no sin became sin for us. Holy God who will not abide with sin pours out His wrath on that perfect sacrificial lamb who cries out, "My God, My God. Why hast thou forsaken me?" What a horrible cry. But Sunday's coming.
It's Friday. And at the moment of Jesus' death, the veil of the Temple that separates sinful man from Holy God was torn from the top to the bottom because Sunday's coming.
It's Friday. Jesus is hanging on the cross, heaven is weeping and hell is partying. But that's because it's Friday, and they don't know it, but Sunday's a coming.
And on that horrible day 2000 years ago, Jesus the Christ, the Lord of glory, the only begotten Son of God, the only perfect man died on the cross of Calvary. Satan thought that he had won the victory. Surely he had destroyed the Son of God. Finally he had disproved the prophecy God had uttered in the Garden and the one who was to crush his head had been destroyed. But that was Friday.
Now it's Sunday. And just about dawn on that first day of the week, there was a great earthquake. But that wasn't the only thing that was shaking because now it's Sunday. And the angel of the Lord is coming down out of heaven and rolling the stone away from the door of the tomb. Yes, it's Sunday, and the angel of the Lord is sitting on that stone and the guards posted at the tomb to keep the body from disappearing were shaking in their boots because it's Sunday, and the lamb that was silent before the slaughter is now the resurrected lion from the tribe of Judah, for He is not here, the angel says. He is risen indeed.
It's Sunday, and the crucified/resurrected Christ has defeated death, hell, sin and the grave. It's Sunday. And now everything has changed. It's the age of grace, God's grace poured out on all who would look to that crucified lamb of Calvary. Grace freely given to all who would believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross of Calvary was buried and rose again. All because it's Sunday.

Fugue
3/21/2008, 09:41 AM

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/bushtit/smilies/rimshot.gif

good thread homeyslice.

StoopTroup
3/21/2008, 12:44 PM
Great thread....

I have to go eat a cheese sammich.

TUSooner
3/21/2008, 12:45 PM
I went to Maundy Thursday service last night. I kinda forced myself to go. The sermon was based on passage from Matthew that says Jesus "went a little farther" into the garden to pray that night. Seems He always goes "a little farther": to garden, to arrest, to "trial," to humiliation, to cross, to tomb, to life, to you and me today. Touching, to say the least.

Widescreen
3/21/2008, 01:15 PM
This weekend recognizes the most profound series of events in human history. Unfortunately, not everyone understands this. :(

shaun4411
3/21/2008, 02:03 PM
This weekend recognizes the most profound series of events in human history. Unfortunately, not everyone understands this. :(

if you think that's bad, i dont even believe it happened at all!

SoonerStormchaser
3/21/2008, 02:34 PM

:mad: Oh well...I'm done as of 1400 PDT today.

Okla-homey
3/21/2008, 02:49 PM
if you think that's bad, i dont even believe it happened at all!

That's okay. This is America, unlike some places where they put you to death for such rank heresy. OTOH, you're missing out on one the most fulfilling and inspirational areas of life available to human beings.

SoonerJack
3/21/2008, 03:30 PM
Good post and good response, Homey.

And like it says in the Bible, "every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord."