PDA

View Full Version : The Athletic Department can learn something from the Yankee's...

Readyfor8
3/20/2008, 05:32 PM
At the end of this season, Yankee Stadium is being torn down to be replaced by a new stadium across the street. Even though the tradition of that stadium is tremendous, even though they have won 26 titles in that stadium, even though it is the "House that Ruth Built," they are still retiring it.

It's time we do the same for Bob Barry Sr. Yes I know Bud Wilkinson himself chose Bob Barry Sr. to be the Play-by-Play guy. Yes I know he has been calling games since 1961 (even if you do count the 18 years he called for OSU "games.") Yes I know he has a rich tradition at our beloved alma mater.

But enough is enough, Yankee Stadium is only 8 years older than Bob Barry Sr. but they are still retiring it. They are sending it out with a bang too, inviting all of the old players who are still living for a great send off. Part of me wants to reward him for having to sit through the 90's but the better part of me says he has been rewarded enough during the past decade.

You want to do something nice for him, let him call the OU-OSU game every year till he dies. Thats nostalgic right? But it is time to put old Bob Barry Sr. out to pasture. Take a note from the Yankee's... Just because something is tradition rich, doesn't mean it's doing it's job as well as it needs to be done.

With all that Yankee love out of the way, GO CARDS!!!

OUAndy1807
3/20/2008, 05:33 PM
I agree that he should get 8 more years and then be forced to retire.

KantoSooner
3/20/2008, 06:17 PM
Compromise: let him do TWO hotdog commercials per quarter, but get someone else to call the game.

(referring to Iglesias as 'Iguana' early last season was the last straw for me...)

tulsaoilerfan
3/20/2008, 07:33 PM
Thankfully with all the games on TV now i don't have to put up with Bob any more:)

bstuff1979
3/20/2008, 09:18 PM
I don't really get all excited about having to listen to the guy, but we should look at it this way: We could be Penn State and having this discussion over a head coach.

SOONERxWife73
3/20/2008, 09:21 PM
jimminnnny christmas

SOONERxWife73
3/20/2008, 09:28 PM
is he over 80 yet? geez, what was his name? anybody?

SOONERxWife73
3/20/2008, 09:32 PM
what was his name? always enjoyed his commentation. is he over 80 yet?

Salt City Sooner
3/20/2008, 09:54 PM
At the end of this season, Yankee Stadium is being torn down to be replaced by a new stadium across the street. Even though the tradition of that stadium is tremendous, even though they have won 26 titles in that stadium, even though it is the "House that Ruth Built," they are still retiring it.

It's time we do the same for Bob Barry Sr. Yes I know Bud Wilkinson himself chose Bob Barry Sr. to be the Play-by-Play guy. Yes I know he has been calling games since 1961 (even if you do count the 18 years he called for OSU "games.") Yes I know he has a rich tradition at our beloved alma mater.

But enough is enough, Yankee Stadium is only 8 years older than Bob Barry Sr. but they are still retiring it. They are sending it out with a bang too, inviting all of the old players who are still living for a great send off. Part of me wants to reward him for having to sit through the 90's but the better part of me says he has been rewarded enough during the past decade.

You want to do something nice for him, let him call the OU-OSU game every year till he dies. Thats nostalgic right? But it is time to put old Bob Barry Sr. out to pasture. Take a note from the Yankee's... Just because something is tradition rich, doesn't mean it's doing it's job as well as it needs to be done.

With all that Yankee love out of the way, GO CARDS!!!
Uh, the Yank's stadium announcer is none other than Mr. Bob Sheppard, who is 97 years young, & has been in his current job since 1951. I'm as big of a Yankee fan as there is, but methinks they may not exactly be the best model to follow when it comes to new blood. ;)

Collier11
3/20/2008, 10:22 PM
Uh, the Yank's stadium announcer is none other than Mr. Bob Sheppard, who is 97 years young, & has been in his current job since 1951. I'm as big of a Yankee fan as there is, but methinks they may not exactly be the best model to follow when it comes to new blood. ;)

does Mr.Sheppard call Jiambi- Gumby, Jeter- Peter,Arod-abe vigoda?

mynameisjoe
3/20/2008, 11:42 PM

PA announcer isn't the same as doing play by play. Also, I just realized that Sheppard probably remembers Babe Ruth as a rookie :eek:

Ardmore_Sooner
3/20/2008, 11:54 PM
I felt the same way until BBS came and spoke to one of my classes. I just don't have the heart to feel that he should go. He'll be like the Bear, when he quits, he won't be alive much longer. Just my opinion.

I think he should keep doing the basketball games at the very least.

soonerloyal
3/21/2008, 09:07 AM
I'll probably get negged but - BBS doesn't bother me. Sure, he stumbles and gets confused, but to me his voice is a link to home. I hear his voice yelling "TO THE 50-40-30-20-10-5 - TOUCHDOWN, OK-LAHOMAAA!!" and it warms my heart.

We don't know how long we'll have him, so I'm content to enjoy what we have for now.

Thanks for the memories, Bob. :O

OKC-SLC
3/21/2008, 09:39 AM
BBS doesn't bother me. Sure, he stumbles and gets confused, but to me his voice is a link to home. I hear his voice yelling "TO THE 50-40-30-20-10-5 - TOUCHDOWN, OK-LAHOMAAA!!" and it warms my heart.

We don't know how long we'll have him, so I'm content to enjoy what we have for now.
I agree as well. What we may not have in technical skill we make up for in nostalgia, IMO.

MrJimBeam
3/21/2008, 10:14 AM
I think BBS biggest issue is he can't see very well, especially from a mile away which is where our press box is. When he calls Tink Collins Tinker Owens we know who he's talking about. Plus what do I care if he can't keep up with the action, if we recover a fumble we still get the ball whether we know about it then or 30 seconds later.

Bob Barry Sr is Oklahoma Football. He just is.

Collier11
3/21/2008, 10:44 AM
I'll probably get negged but - BBS doesn't bother me. Sure, he stumbles and gets confused, but to me his voice is a link to home. I hear his voice yelling "TO THE 50-40-30-20-10-5 - TOUCHDOWN, OK-LAHOMAAA!!" and it warms my heart.

the problem is, the player is on the 30-40-50, etc... and BBS is saying the 50-40-30, tradition is just that, a tradition. I have no problem giving him a very respectable "last tour" season but for anyone who listens to the radio it is maddening

fadada1
3/21/2008, 11:11 AM

bozo the clown could call "touchdown, OKLAHOMA!!!" and it would warm my heart. it's the other 150 plays each game that make me cringe. the day is LOOOOONG overdue for BBS to retire.

bri
3/21/2008, 12:00 PM

Amen.

freshchris05
3/21/2008, 12:03 PM
Theres only one Bob Barry Sr......

Readyfor8
3/21/2008, 12:16 PM
With all the games on TV, you are right Bob Barry doesn't ruin things as much as he could. However, when they do the "Local Call" on Sportcenter and it's an OU play don't you cringe hoping he doesn't screw up the name? Don't you cringe to hope he isn't talking about a missing hot dog?

Bob Barry keep going, just not in the national media. And to the poster who said the announcer for the Yankee's is 80 something, I have no problem with Bob Barry Sr. calling all the OU Baseball he wants, it's not exactly the fastest paced game to have to keep up with...

Collier11
3/21/2008, 01:01 PM

can you tell him which one he is please

SoonerInLubbock
3/21/2008, 01:31 PM
I may be one of the few who acually like Bob Barry. Maybe because I've just herd him for so long. When I hear the voice of Bob Barry it reminds me of home in OKC.

Lubbock TX can be hard on a I guy who grew up a Sooners fan. The fans here still think they made that touchdown from 3 years ago,lol.

mynameisjoe
3/21/2008, 05:54 PM

Thank God for that

reevie
3/21/2008, 08:33 PM
I'm willing to take the mike just as soon as Joe C calls me. And I'll do it for cheap!

Dio
3/21/2008, 10:59 PM
what was his name? always enjoyed his commentation. is he over 80 yet?

John Brooks

Not gonna happen.

SoonerShark
3/21/2008, 11:04 PM
I don't really get all excited about having to listen to the guy, but we should look at it this way: We could be Penn State and having this discussion over a head coach.

Now that you mention it, Stoops is looking a bit long in the tooth lately.

bob
3/22/2008, 01:04 PM
OU is a big time program. Deserves a big time announcer. Atleast someone who gets the call right. I vote we get a new, improved announcer and withing a couple of years he (or she) will be the "voice of the Sooners".

ucosooner
3/24/2008, 05:26 PM
I'm ready. That's been my dream job for years. I would be happy with a phase out. Let Bob call a few plays here and there. By the end of the year, you'd hear me as the voice of OU football.

I know, it is what it is...A Dream.

OUAndy1807
3/24/2008, 05:33 PM
OU is a big time program. Deserves a big time announcer. Atleast someone who gets the call right. I vote we get a new, improved announcer and withing a couple of years he (or she) will be the "voice of the Sooners".
worst post ever.

OUmillenium
3/25/2008, 10:30 AM
John Brooks was the greatest OU mike man evar. Treps was great, too. They would be a great combo to bring back.

BBS - "(current running back)...gets the handoff, makes a defender miss, spins right...what a great move(!)...heads downfield to the 40...avoids a tackle...and is finally brought down. And it's a 3 yard loss for the Sooners back to the 37."

My only complaint is that Bob makes a crap play sound like we are busting loose for a major gain...all the time. That has always ****ed me off. Must be a bad habit developed during the Blake years to keep listeners interested.

OUmillenium
3/25/2008, 10:31 AM
Today's word of the day...great

bstuff1979
3/25/2008, 02:58 PM
To be honest, my beef isn't with BBSr. but with the tv broadcast's delay of a few seconds. Knowing, or thinking you know (depending on the already mentioned premature excitement of BBSr), how a play is turning out just seconds before you see it kind of messes with your head. If there was something that the folks in production for the OU radio playbyplay could do to sync it up a little bit that would be great. It would have really come in handy during the Big 12 champ game last year. Listening to Herbstreet and Mussberger drool over LSU was not unlike hearing the screams of a thousand dying stray kittens.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/25/2008, 03:06 PM

Too bad there is one Bob Barry Jr....