PDA

View Full Version : Things are looking up for JSM

Okla-homey
3/20/2008, 01:57 PM
The split among the Donks has resulted in a double-digit lead on HRC and nine points on BHO.

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Thursday shows John McCain’s lead growing against both potential Democratic opponents. McCain currently leads Barack Obama 49% to 42% and Hillary Clinton 51% to 41% margin.

African-American support for Clinton has collapsed, falling to 55% in the general election match-up. Obama, on the other hand, earns solid support from African-American voters but attracts only 36% of white voters in a match-up with McCain.

JohnnyMack
3/20/2008, 02:00 PM
How very Tuba-like of you. We're having this discussion over here:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109726&page=9

SicEmBaylor
3/20/2008, 02:00 PM
It's early and national polls right now are utterly and totally meaningless.

King Crimson
3/20/2008, 02:20 PM
African-American support for Clinton has collapsed, falling to 55% in the general election match-up. Obama, on the other hand, earns solid support from African-American voters but attracts only 36% of white voters in a match-up with McCain.

the last sentence is a bit misleading. if, let's say, half of the "white people" are already voting for McCain then basically you're only REALLY saying that Obama has 36/50 votes from white people who are going to vote democrat.

i realize the organization of these stats is assembled as such to make the claim that blacks are vindictive voters who will turn on Hillary...and white people are turning on Obama (however statistically misleading the 36/50 votes is still a significant %)....which de facto proves he's a race-hater....which the conclusion suggests (being the final stat that doubles as the "proof" in the upspoken syllogism). but, what's not demonstrated is what that % was before? so, no valid comparison can be made.

are black people more than 14% of all the people in the US who will vote for Obama? if so, then i don't see how the stat has much meaning. white people aren't the only one's voting in the general.

i heard some of the local AM radio guys talking this exact line of argument with these same stats all strung together to make the conclusion i mention above last night (blacks turning on Hillary/Obama losing support with whites)....which ASSUMES that Obama is losing support because of the Rev. deal among white people and then trots out selective stats to "prove it". that may be the case, but unless i saw the actual poll instead of some selective stats strung together without much context then i think it remains to be proven what effect the Rev/speech thing has had.

maybe it's true, but THESE stats don't really bear it out. what they DO do is closet an assumption that the election is being turned "strategically" into a "race" issue for those who would stand to benefit by it. and it's being successful, politics is a dirty business.